Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

Sorta. They needed ricochet to look credible leading into Saudi Arabia. So he went on a string of wins. 

There is no way they built him up across the entire year just for that.  They can barely figure out their main event scene over the course of a few weeks, much less their midcard.  It's more like they wanted to do something more with him but couldn't figure out what because he wasn't figured into the main event plans or over enough to push him to that, so they just had him win all of his feuds with fellow drifters until they needed an opponent for Brock to build up to Drew.  

Edited by Psychoblue

Apparently the AEW deal is a multi-year affair.  

WWE probably told Sting if AEW is throwing that kind of money at him to go for it.  They're certainly not a threat to WWE's throne at this point and there's no conventions WWE can send Sting to for an "ambassador" check.  

But again, he's 61 with neck problems?  Why is AEW bringing him on as a multi-year affair?   The appeal is gonna wear off mad fast even if he's just an authority figure.  

2 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

There is no way they built him up across the entire year just for that.  They can barely figure out their main event scene over the course of a few weeks, much less their midcard.  It's more like they wanted to do something more with him but couldn't figure out what because he wasn't figured into the main event plans or over enough to push him to that, so they just had him win all of his feuds with fellow drifters until they needed an opponent for Brock to build up to Drew.  

I said sorta. Part of it was he was he was one of the guys Heyman marked into developing but also saudi. This was when black was doing really well too and a Heyman guy 

Well I was sports entertained. 

I hope Sting doesn’t wrestle lol I’m not as hype for the signing as others. I’m meh on it. 

But I do like the screw job finish. Keeps Mox strong, builds more heat on Kenny and it was a nice segue to the TNA partnership. 

5 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

But again, he's 61 with neck problems?  Why is AEW bringing him on as a multi-year affair? 

Because they’re a cutting edge company that doesn’t rely on the past, or reputation of stars from the “other promotion” or old era’s to be relative even though that’s all they do. 

the elites whole aew manifesto is some ol bullshit. Has been since day 1. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Because they’re a cutting edge company that doesn’t rely on the past, or reputation of stars from the “other promotion” or old era’s to be relative even though that’s all they do. 

the elites whole aew manifesto is some ol bullshit. Has been since day 1. 

they pay respect to the past. the past has not overtaken the current roster. Literally the only "old guy" thats in the spot light is jericho. 

arn? tulley...they are managers/voices. they arent wrestling for titles.

jericho gets a pass to me because hes super active and he doesnt hold people down. he'll take an l from people to help boost them.

Can we have one of the Gargano Ghost faces be Ciampa for the ultimate middle finger? Lol. 

We know one of them is going to be Theory. I don’t know (and don’t care) who the second Ghost is but I really hope it Ciampa just as a huge fuck you to NXT. Lol

Edited by iStu X

Sting is ill-suited as manager, we saw that already in TNA.  The biggest thing AEW got from this is that Sting will be in the new AEW game.

Seeing so many people hype on social media and on FB for Sting like this is the Sting of 20 years ago makes me lose a little bit more faith in humanity.  That reaction is exactly why the other wrestling fans look at the AEW diehards like they're Smashers tossing crabs at guys in tournament.  They could have gotten Goldberg who (so dumb that we have to compare the two) is considerably younger and in far better shape thanks to a lot less injuries, and he would have gotten more out of having a match than what Sting could get you now.

Also I find it funny that so many people painted AEW is the new TNA, and then they up and join with TNA for real.  

Edited by Psychoblue
45 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I gotta agree with Maxx on this one. Legends is one aspect AEW definitely does better than WWE. I won't see DX and the NWO burying the hottest new heel on Dynamite. 

This 100%.

Just because they exist, doesn't mean they are going to run over some up and comer.

Tully and Arn aren't beating Lucha Bros anytime soon, but if it was RAW...

5 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Yeah I don't get all the hype for Sting...unless they invented a miracle treament for neck injuries in 60-year old men, what is the point? Just for having him around?

Hopefully a managerial role... I really don't wanna see him fight since Seth broke his back lol

15 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

What is Sting expecting to do at age 61 with career ending neck problems?  

Maybe Tony will give him a non-contact title run like WWE gave Bret the US title again for a night.  

I mean his likeness and use as an ambassador like legends contract

Tony living his gm mode fantasies let him cook

I personally hope for a bullet club invasion. This makes kenny hollywood hogan

Just marked for tony yelling "it's sting!"

Ricochet sucks. They should have done Lashley vs Lesnar instead

Revival vs MCMG

The north coming to aew

John Silver vs Swoggle in WeeLC 2

Edited by DrLariat
5 minutes ago, scorp said:

?

Same guy that survived this

Got beat by this

It’s almost like you’re new to wrestling or something. That kinda bullshit has happened since forever regardless of promotion and you know this. 

and everyone hated both of those finishes. 

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, scorp said:

Ok I was reaching a bit.

But still, I was fucking mad when Fiend lost that match.

He technically won via DQ. In a Hell in the Cell. Which is a no DQ. Lol

And I think everyone agrees that was probably the worst finish in wrestling history. 

Pro wrestling has always been a dude bro shonen tho. Power levels always fluctuate. 

Edited by iStu X
1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

More red than that shitty lighting?

Just the worst!!!

I can say that AEW is not perfect, but aside from CODYWINSLOL I haven't been too upset over the booking decisions.

The eventual showdown between superface Page and shitheel Omega is going to be amazing.

Give me that slowwwwwwww burn.

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

I hope the slow down is better this go around. I wasn't invested in drunk Page, the petty arguments he would have with the Bucks with Kenny being stuck in the middle.

haha I didn't mind it.

I do like the DO trying to bring them into the cult though.

Wonder where that leads to.

4 hours ago, scorp said:

And there is no way Sting is gonna even challenge for the title.

Let alone win one like Goldberg did from Fiend. Fiend was another pawn for the Saudis.

The Fiend should have never won the title in the first place, that stupid decision of putting him in the title picture led to the domino effect of Goldberg winning it in the first place since it was the “safest” out you could have come up with.

Just now, Grimmjow316 said:

The Fiend should have never won the title in the first place, that stupid decision of putting him in the title picture led to the domino effect of Goldberg winning it in the first place since it was the “safest” out you could have come up with.

Who did Fiend beat for it again? And how?

16 minutes ago, iStu X said:

He technically won via DQ. In a Hell in the Cell. Which is a no DQ. Lol

And I think everyone agrees that was probably the worst finish in wrestling history. 

Pro wrestling has always been a dude bro shonen tho. Power levels always fluctuate. 

It was not a DQ.  It was ref stoppage in favor of Rollins.  That was outright stated afterwards as well.

Brock beat Orton like that at Summerslam 2016 when he busted him open hardway with the elbows.  

7 minutes ago, scorp said:

Who did Fiend beat for it again? And how?

Seth which he beat in the Blood Money event prior.

The thing is he (Fiend) was always going to be fed to Roman, but the problem became The Fiend got over not in the way they wanted shocking I know.

So in that time period they went this route because they didn’t want backlash from Roman winning again and getting booed like before.

Edited by Grimmjow316
4 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

It was not a DQ.  It was ref stoppage in favor of Rollins.  That was outright stated afterwards as well.

Brock beat Orton like that at Summerslam 2016 when he busted him open hardway with the elbows.  

Defending WWE to his death.

Comparing a regular match against a no DQ, no rules, Hell in a Cell... Even after Fiend emerged from the rubble and put the claw on Rollins. 

Truly fascinating.

By that logic, Taker should have beaten Mankind after he put him through the fucken cell into the ring.

But again... Shit booking.

Edited by scorp
15 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Sometimes I forget we're in a fighting game forum

Rather than give me credit for reading the frame data, y'all wanna call me random for knowing I can reversal through your fake newz/block strings.  

Or just don’t come across as a “WeLl AcTuAlLy” know it all cunt. 

Edited by iStu X
3 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Or just don’t come across as a “WeLl AcTuAlLy” know it all cunt. 

We're FGC.  We don't bullshit around these parts.  

AEW getting Sting's merch deal is going to help them out short-term.  That might also placate TNT for a bit assuming TNT weren't the ones who organized Sting coming back to their network.  

3 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I'm still waiting on what aew did wrong in terms of booking with old talent 👀👀👀

Not gonna let you get outta that without a real response lol

See Luther, Doctor and him escaping the Dark Hovel to make the whole company look like a joke along with fellow Midlife Crisis Man and noted COVID denier, Chris Jericho.

After that it's been alright.  It's just every time Sting has been a manager in TNA, it never worked out the way it should have.  I think the only role he's ever been suited for is "wrestler" and MAYBE an authority figure.  

Edited by Psychoblue
31 minutes ago, Maxx said:

So you have no basis for the criticism then? 

No. I do. I was going to edit my post but then saw you replied. 

Lemme put it simply. I don’t like nostalgia acts in wrestling. 

Jericho is what I consider now a nostalgia act. I don’t care if he can still go. It doesn’t mean he should go. 

the brain busters should be relegated to backstage stuff only. 

sting signing with aew for reasons is laughably sad. 

edge coming back pissed me off cause it was self indulgent narcissism and look where it got him. Injured. Again. 

Id be mad if HHH fully came out of retirement. Same with HBK. They both even said they regretted their tag match with brothers of destruction on one of the blood money cards. 

undertaker hung on way fucking longer than he ever needed to be. 

Goldberg coming back just so his awkward chubby offspring could see him to bury the top card.

the list could go on and on honestly regardless of the promotion. 

its fucking dumb. Quit clutching your yesteryear pearls and move the fuck on. I mean that to fans and to performers 

wanna know why Heyman has been around as long as he has and still stays relevant and isn’t considered a nostalgia act? Cause he knows it isn’t about him. He stays ever present but in the background. He is ever the manager but always changes his title to fit who he’s with. He changes with the times 

Edited by iStu X
12 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Don’t try to use the community as a reason for your shit attitude. 

There is nothing shitty about pointing out misinformation.  If we're gonna be real with each other we need to make sure the facts are laid out.  

If I'm a know it all it's because I actually know whatever it is I'm chiming in on unless I preface it with an opinion based modifier such as "I think" or "I believe."

Anyway, good on Sting for getting that bag, whoever gave it to him.  I just hope they don't ask him to do more than what he's capable of because even a manager bump might be enough to Misawa him at this point.

Edited by Psychoblue