Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

1 minute ago, HD-Man said:

Sesugh Nation or something like that. Shedding American name to some native to his ancestry helps further the gimmick. 

I echo your sentiment on this gimmick being aces.  WWE's best aesthetic IMO in when they have characters with a distorted reflection of the real world, tact be damned.  

16 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

I've seen dudes throw out thigh slaps on forearms and fucking chops, CHOPS!? They make the sound for you, like jesus fucking christ, learn to work.

We always hear the old-timers rant about exposing the business, but the thigh slaps make it hard to argue with them LOL.  

By the way, how did your lessons with Connors go ?

1 hour ago, Psychoblue said:

We always hear the old-timers rant about exposing the business, but the thigh slaps make it hard to argue with them LOL.  

By the way, how did your lessons with Connors go ?

Nothing came to fruition on that front unfortunately, on and off illness, a baby arrived and then lethal lockdown 2020 happened. All I need now is lockdown to end, the gyms and schools to reopen and some free time. Still gonna give it a shot though. 

22 minutes ago, DrLariat said:

Yes

The match was good

The post match beatdown was brutal

That "explosion" was lame and eddie sold it

Christian signed to avoid being Roman's bitch boy

Yea I really enjoyed the match. And Eddie is a ring professional for selling it like death hahaha

Lot of learning experiences for TK after this event.

Don't overhype and underdeliver, the Christian signing would have been better had it been a complete surprised.

And don't do crazy gimmick matches, cause too much can go wrong and ruin the taste for the entire PPV.

Biggest hype was MAKI ITOH RETURN!

57 minutes ago, scorp said:

Don't overhype and underdeliver, the Christian signing would have been better had it been a complete surprised.

And don't do crazy gimmick matches, cause too much can go wrong and ruin the taste for the entire PPV.

You're asking a lot of Tony given his past history with other franchises he's had his hands in.  Now you're seeing why the Jags never sustain success.  

Anyone who offers even the slightest criticism must be a hater.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29072692/yannick-ngakoue-lashes-jaguars-exec-tony-khan-twitter

Edited by Psychoblue
1 minute ago, Psychoblue said:

You're asking a lot of Tony given his past history with other franchises he's had his hands in.  Now you're seeing why the Jags never sustain success.  

Anyone who offers even the slightest criticism must be a hater.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29072692/yannick-ngakoue-lashes-jaguars-exec-tony-khan-twitter

I don't follow football.

Too many commercials. 😂

1 hour ago, scorp said:

TK needs to chill with the gimmick matches. I mean not every PPV needs them, eventually it starts looking like a crutch.

Just now, Grimmjow316 said:

TK needs to chill with the gimmick matches. I mean not every PPV needs them, eventually it starts looking like a crutch.

The way I see it... Is TK is just me and my friends, a 30+ year old that grew up in the Attitude Era and loved that shit.

But yes, I think he shouldn't put in so many every PPV haha

7 minutes ago, scorp said:

The way I see it... Is TK is just me and my friends, a 30+ year old that grew up in the Attitude Era and loved that shit.

But yes, I think he shouldn't put in so many every PPV haha

Except the Attitude Era would build to those gimmick matches as something that made sense in the context of the feud and the characters.  Tony just has No-DQ matches just because.   

Edited by Psychoblue
9 minutes ago, scorp said:

I think the match between Mox and Omega made sense.

Which ones are you referring to?

That one isn't so bad, but there's a lot of stuff in the midcard on Dynamite where things that should be considered a DQ aren't, and even the announcers will state it's no DQ later in the match as if to waive off those questions.  Bucks matches in particular have this problem.  It doesn't help that a lot of these midcard feuds aren't even feuds.  I could hardly remember what Orange Cassidy's main feud was between beating Jericho and getting involved in the Kip/Miro/Taylor saga.

Altneratively you'll have Battle Royales with no clear implications (there's a reason WWE just kept this on WM dark matches until they introduced the Andre trophy and title), matches that should be 1v1 turn into multi-man matches because it allows for more high spots (this was when you knew the first iteration of WWE's post-WCW Cruiserweight division was in dire straits even before Hornswoggle won it), and matches that ultimately lead to nothing (Darby v Jelly, Orange vs Luther etc) because "we're expected to know what happened on Dark."  That's the exact same shit I hated when you'd have a ton of great in-character sit-down interviews during The Authority storyline but they were rarely shown on TV so you had no idea WWE was doing anything with these guys unless someone felt it fit to bring it up on TV.  If it's going to be put on TV, have it put on TV in its entirety.

In the Attitude Era, and even in pre-Hogan TNA, the midcard randomness was sustained over several weeks before it became an actual match on PPV.  Some got more over than others, but it wasn't a game-day decision.  I still maintain that while Russo's main event is absolute dreck, his midcard is among the best in the last 30 years.  Al Snow, the Godfather, Sonjay Dutt, Roode and many others can owe the later success they enjoyed to the foundation Russo set for them.

Now you know why I've been talking about the plot so much the last few months.  

Edited by Psychoblue
2 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

That one isn't so bad, but there's a lot of stuff in the midcard on Dynamite where things that should be considered a DQ aren't, and even the announcers will state it's no DQ later in the match as if to waive off those questions.  Bucks matches in particular have this problem.  It doesn't help that a lot of these midcard feuds aren't even feuds.  I could hardly remember what Orange Cassidy's main feud was between beating Jericho and getting involved in the Kip/Miro/Taylor saga.

Now you know why I've been talking about the plot so much the last few months.  

Yea AEW does let a lot more things fly in terms of DQ.

I don't think AEW has had a DQ finish in forever lol

Whereas they barely have any official non-DQ matches.

3 hours ago, scorp said:

I think the match between Mox and Omega made sense.

Which ones are you referring to?

When the Nightmare Family were feuding with Butcher and Blade their first match was a bunkhouse match on Dynamite. That feud didn't justify needing that match and why is a glorified street fight the first match of their feud? Just WTF 

1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

When the Nightmare Family were feuding with Butcher and Blade their first match was a bunkhouse match on Dynamite. That feud didn't justify needing that match and why is a glorified street fight the first match of their feud? Just WTF 

Nothing about the nightmare family made sense. Their the only faction that absolutely makes no sense in aew

3 hours ago, Grimmjow316 said:

Giulia going full G.I. Jane after losing the hair match.
ri2eiddv3nl61.jpg

Gi Guilia i am with 

Bushi Road courting the days until they have stardom with tv asahi they are pumping a lot of money 

I mean they out drew njpw in budokan. But pervs will risk covid

I need cody to disban nightmare family and start up horsemen 

Edited by DrLariat
5 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

The fact we're welcoming it shows how much can change in 15 years.  

Indeed, you would've told me RAW would've have a black world champ, I'll call you a liar. We can win the SD belt and all others, but that main belt has been elusive. I'm good with this even if he loses it at Mania

2 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Indeed, you would've told me RAW would've have a black world champ, I'll call you a liar. We can win the SD belt and all others, but that main belt has been elusive. I'm good with this even if he loses it at Mania

It was more the fact that we all figured it was gonna be Lashley back then and we were dreading it because his facials and promos are atrocious.  Remember the Bathturd and the Blanka eye pop after Vince slapped him?

1 minute ago, HD-Man said:

Lashley still ain't a good promo lol, but that's where MVP comes in. He's working wonders

In many ways, the best thing about the black world champ on RAW is that WWE isn't virtue-signaling over it like they have when other "first ______" have won a title.  They just put over that Lashley is a dominant competitor because that's what's supposed to matter.  

8 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

In many ways, the best thing about the black world champ on RAW is that WWE isn't virtue-signaling over it like they have when other "first ______" have won a title.  They just put over that Lashley is a dominant competitor because that's what's supposed to matter.  

Definitely. Dude been a professional, grinding forever. This honestly feels earned and not given. I'm hoping he does so well they let him keep the belt past Mania to see what he's really got