Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

49 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I should've expected that after Kevin resigned, I'm guessing money or family related reasons also played a factor in Zayn resigning. 

Those two definitely been gettin more screen time and wins lately 🤔

You sure?

Their stats with house shows included.

Sami was 9-45 in 2021 and 0-1 in 2022.

Owens  was 18-37 in 2021 and 1-7 in 2022.

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Wrestlers are putting their bodies through hell hundreds a times year. You should want them to secure the bag even if you don't like the promotion they work for. People are selfish and hypocritical. I guarantee you that 99.9999% of the people would take that bag they are hating on others for grabbing.

Bruh, most wrestling fans have zero fucking awareness or a filter.

They literally just say the first garbage that comes to their minds.

They don't think things through before talking and have extreme tunnel vision.

But most of them are uneducated and poor, so you can't really expect critical thinking.

24 minutes ago, scorp said:

You sure?

Their stats with house shows included.

Sami was 9-45 in 2021 and 0-1 in 2022.

Owens  was 18-37 in 2021 and 1-7 in 2022.

Lance Archer was on the injury list for the last 2-3 months and reappeared on Dark just a few weeks ago before being named #1 contender for the world title.

Wins and losses don't matter, and that goes for both companies.  You could like Ricochet with the best W/L record in 2019 and then have an abysmal 2020 because none of those wins/losses were over anyone of any importance.  Your success is determined by how much TV time you get not just in the ring but in mic work and character work.  Zayn and Owens have had plenty of both the last year even getting in the mix with the Paul Bros just as their star was really starting to take off in the boxing world.  

And speaking of which...Ali got denied his release.  What that means is anyone's guess but that was one we figured WWE would grant because they let everyone else go.  

2 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Lance Archer was on the injury list for the last 2-3 months and reappeared on Dark just a few weeks ago before being named #1 contender for the world title.

Wins and losses don't matter, and that goes for both companies.  You could like Ricochet with the best W/L record in 2019 and then have an abysmal 2020 because none of those wins/losses were over anyone of any importance.  Your success is determined by how much TV time you get not just in the ring but in mic work and character work.  Zayn and Owens have had plenty of both the last year even getting in the mix with the Paul Bros just as their star was really starting to take off in the boxing world.  

And speaking of which...Ali got denied his release.  What that means is anyone's guess but that was one we figured WWE would grant because they let everyone else go.  

I didn't say anything about their success coming up, I was just making a point to HD saying they've been winning lately.

4 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I mean, as in, straight walk tf off the job like Pac and Toni Storm did not a gimmick. Still don't know how they both did that without getting sued 😂

You think that a WWE talent contract will hold up in court? They likely don't want the legal system being aware of how they identify "independent contractors". 

43 minutes ago, scorp said:

When's NXT 3.0?

The best thing about NXT OG was that while they booked who they wanted to be the top guys they also listened to the fans when it came to who they wanted to see. They also appreciated the slow burn instead of having a feud that only lasts until the next ppv. A Mid-card feud could be going for a year and a half but it’d be just as interesting if not more so than the main card. 

They made everyone feel important and listened to criticism. Everything felt organic.  McMahon and Prichard are just “these our the guys we want and we don’t give a fuck what you think” but then get upset when we don’t like what they’re doing but they think it’s the performers fault. Which it isn’t. 

Granted, OG could be like that too (Kross and a few other instances) but it was so few and far in between 

Edited by iStu X
12 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

You think that a WWE talent contract will hold up in court? They likely don't want the legal system being aware of how they identify "independent contractors". 

If it somehow did, I think that would spell disaster for any future situations like this on the talent's end.  Jerry McDevitt and David Otunga would find a way and then it'd be iron-clad from that point on.

As for NXT 2.0/3.0, while I understand Stu's sentiment, I think the point of NXT is to develop recruits and experiment with characters/gimmicks that will smoothly translate over to the main roster.  NXT 1.0 pushed whoever they wanted but there was practically no collaboration between the NXT writing staff and the mainline writing staff for how they were going to debut these guys on the main roster with the vision the main roster had for them.  Whatever silliness was in for the War Raiders and Karrion Kross should have been trial ran in NXT, just as GUNTHER and Sailor Sarray are being trial-ran now.  WWE needs to prioritze what it wants NXT to be: a viable third brand, which is was before the massive overhaul and mass dismissal of key talent from 1.0, or a developmental for guys they're prepping for the main roster which IMO is doing better for them now than back then.  I could easily see Bron, Gunther, Grayson and others being unveiled in their current form with steady pushes to their destination title feud like they would for FCW call-ups.

In other news : day 2 of prowrestling school..

-the classes is split between beginners and more advanced students

-there are guys who have been there for s few months or longer in my beginner group.

-my previous experences of martial arts and dance have given me a way bigger athletic leg up on people.

-im def understanding how wrestlers remember so much in a match. The codewords they use for lil sets is interesting.

-lol. Thr one really cool think about new nxt because its so developmental again i can see what im lesrning directly into what they do in 2.0. Like all thr drills i did yesterday were legit in chens last match

-

-the classes is split between beginners and more advanced students

-there are guys who have been there for s few months or longer in my beginner group.

-my previous experences of martial arts and dance have given me a way bigger athletic leg up on people.

-im def understanding how wrestlers remember so much in a match. The codewords they use for lil sets is interesting.

-lol. Thr one really cool think about new nxt because its so developmental again i can see what im lesrning directly into what they do in 2.0. Like all thr drills i did yesterday were legit in chens last match

Edited by Maxx
1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Study and practice is how the prospects become greats.  no surprise it's like when I did kickboxing and it's mnemonic devices to break down complex sequences.  

By the way Matt, you nasty!  

Edited by Psychoblue
44 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Study and practice is how the prospects become greats.  no surprise it's like when I did kickboxing and it's mnemonic devices to break down complex sequences.  

By the way Matt, you nasty!  

Yeah more or less its the same concept as say kickboxing or boxing 1,2,1 round. Which obviously is jab, cross, jab round kick.. Prowrestling has similar but like they call say the "international " which is the drop down lesp frog sequence. 

20 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Lio Rush just announced his contract with AEW expires in February, he's been there all of 5 minutes. Aint nobody stupid, we know why he's on his way out😂

TK was smart. Signed him to what, a 5 month contract? lol

He knew that little sucka was trouble.

30 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Lio Rush is the Darius Miles of pro wrestling.  Maybe he needs to look within on why this isn't working out especially when he's got a family to feed.

We know why this happened. Its not some secret and his heart was in the right place. Everyone can claim its something to do with his actin or inring work.. Theg are absolutely lying and this is purely over the swole thing. There was a way to go about it and unfortunately he followed his emotions and heart and put tony on blast. I respect him for doing what he felt was right. 

41 minutes ago, Maxx said:

We know why this happened. Its not some secret and his heart was in the right place. Everyone can claim its something to do with his actin or inring work.. Theg are absolutely lying and this is purely over the swole thing. There was a way to go about it and unfortunately he followed his emotions and heart and put tony on blast. I respect him for doing what he felt was right. 

Yeah but this is a repeat issue.  He did this a few times in WWE and not even over the same thing.  He alienated the locker room for popping off about someone getting released on twitter.  He came just short of calling Mark Henry an uncle tom.  

There comes a time, especially with the AEW administration much looser and more eager to cater to someone like Lio who doesn't fit into more rigid settings, where you gotta consider if public blowups is gonna do anything other than get you fired, or approach someone like Mark or Taz or another vet in the inner circle to see if you can set up something private about that. 

I'd say that's something Vince is known to do and is respected for, but now this Ali stuff is happening.  

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

With respect to Ali, he merely announced he requested a release. They didn't say anything as to why. The dirtsheets blew that up

I'm personally taking it as WWE is hoping they  can talk Ali down and keep him because they  clearly see something in him, hoping for the best for him all the same.  

19 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

I'm personally taking it as WWE is hoping they  can talk Ali down and keep him because they  clearly see something in him, hoping for the best for him all the same.  

According to alis account of his last interaction with vince he belkeves otherwise. 

I guess that convo can be seen as two ways. 

1.vince honestly doesnt see that you have tjatbit factor or the grimey factor 

Or 

2.hes trying to motivate you to chsnge his mind and show him something thatbyou really want it. 

My biggest problem is.. People were slresdy behind him as a face and heel. The injury was so long sgo and it feels like hes still being punished for it. Their is absolutely no reason for wwe to not pull the trigger on kofi vs ali as a long term story. 

54 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Yeah but this is a repeat issue.  He did this a few times in WWE and not even over the same thing.  He alienated the locker room for popping off about someone getting released on twitter.  He came just short of calling Mark Henry an uncle tom.  

There comes a time, especially with the AEW administration much looser and more eager to cater to someone like Lio who doesn't fit into more rigid settings, where you gotta consider if public blowups is gonna do anything other than get you fired, or approach someone like Mark or Taz or another vet in the inner circle to see if you can set up something private about that. 

I'd say that's something Vince is known to do and is respected for, but now this Ali stuff is happening.  

There was a bit more to it. He had issue with the hazing wwe does ans how public it is. The fact hes a black man carrying around peoples bags like a 1920s bellhop. He didnt have an issue with purely the hazing itself, just the public perception it gave off with things like carrying peoppes bags around. 

This is where the mark henry stuff came in. Because he took issue with that and said this is how its always been. Which is a stupid defense honestly.

I get what he means but also... This is prowrestling. Just because you did something for 300 years doesnt make what lio said was wrong. Yall also used make women sleep with promotors to get work. And every minority was basically a foreign badguy. 

59 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I get what he means but also... This is prowrestling. Just because you did something for 300 years doesnt make what lio said was wrong. Yall also used make women sleep with promotors to get work. And every minority was basically a foreign badguy. 

That last bit is absolutely untrue.  

Jimmy Snuka, Junkyard Dog, Pedro Morales, Tiger Mask, Antonino Rocca and countless other minorities and immigrants had their best years as babyfaces.   

Foreign bad guys were only bad guys if something contemporary was going on at the same time.  Iron Sheik, the Koloffs etc all had Cold War/Gulf War etc heat.  After that you had the violent madmen like Original Sheik or Abdullah.  

It’s harder to pull off now because WWE is an international publicly traded juggernaut.  

58 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm really hoping it was more about having to carry bags because that's pretty damned weak. Anyone that's played sports knows that the JV team, rookies, new people etc end up carrying bags, pads, etc. It's not about your color. It's about you being the new guy. Now if he was referring to dangerous shit like frat hazing that's another story.  

That sounds like it’d blow up mad easy with things like smartphones.  Remember Undertaker complained everyone in wwe behaves all chill?   That’s how you know it’s not that.