Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

I haven’t watched XM97 and I don’t really want to. That said my timelines have been flooded with clips of it. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get Uncanny X-Men Scott/Militant ‘Magneto Was Right’ Scott by the end of the second season, maybe sooner. 

also, since they’re apparently getting new costumes by the end of this season I’m also fully expecting they’ll be similar to the ‘New’ X-Men Costumes from Morrison/Quitely’s run. 

Spoiler

Also, I know this episode is this series’ version of E is for Extinction. Which is the first arc of Morrison/Quitely’s new X-Men run. Which makes me think they’ll get the new x men suit treatment. And a lot of cameos and story beats, give a take a few are ripped straight from new X-Men and not from Claremont’s run.

Edited by iStu X

Also in episode 5 of X-Men '97 which I am still reeling from, Cyclops

Spoiler

Man is seriously stressed out. I get it. Had his son sent to the future, Jean/Maddy clone stuff. But the man was speaking some hard truth during that interview. Dude was like "You normies are lucky we are not like the FOH, or else we would air this whole planet out." Man may is getting sick of being the Shepard. 

As for Gambit

Spoiler

My man went out like MF GOAT. Got some baller scenes before his death as well. Yeah, I'm sure Cable is gonna pull a rewind but this episode still hit me in the feels. And Rogue in tears with that Death of Superman cradle? MY FEELS!!!

12 minutes ago, CDB2k20 said:

X-Men '97 episode 5...

Hide contents

I knew the Genosha Massacre was coming...but GOD DAMN!! 
OOF!!

40Oz Pour One Out GIF

My guy, WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN ME? I had no idea all that ish was gonna go down. I was not mentally prepared for those gut punches. Early on the episode is all happy and crap and then later on, it's like...

Surprise Threaten GIF

Edited by RegH81
7 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Emma Frost

Reveal hidden contents

watching the Scott/Maddy/Jean drama:

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

Which is even more hilarious because...

Spoiler

Madelyn lies to her. She of all people should how useless that is. 

As for Episode 5....

Spoiler

Cable is definitely hitting the rewind button. IIRC he says "not again" to Madelyn. Like he's tried to stop it before. He's experiencing a nightmarish version of the movie Groundhog Day. There is so much in that episode. I did catch it initially, but when Madelyn gets it with that psychic pulse, you can hear Cable's voice. He say's exactly what he does to everyone when shows up on Genosha. Madelyn hears it before it happens. Jean gets the same pulse but she doesn't hear Cable's voice like Madelyn does.

How they packed so much into one episode and still have it be exceptional is beyond me. Beau DeMayo can write his ass off. That man has serious talent. I'm glad he got season 2 in the can. They need to find some way to get him back unless he's done something criminal. I can't see anyone else coming in and doing this good of a job. 

On 4/10/2024 at 3:17 AM, RegH81 said:

Dan Slott became a MAJOR POS once he got on Amazing Spider-Man to the point that I pretty much avoided anything with his name on it from then on. With that said, is his Spider-Verse stuff good?

-----

Damn I am like three episodes behind everyone in '97 but I will try to catch up this weekend.

The first Spider Verse is ok, most of the good comes from the characters the plot is kind of meh. Spider Geddon is better but also written by someone else. 

Have not read the last one that I think Slott did. The End of Spider Verse or something like that. 

I'm really enjoying the Mighty Marvel Masterworks line. Though smaller and lacking the letters section, these are  nice way to experience the early Marvel days without paying through the nose for a ton of HCs. I went ahead and picked up Vol. 1-2 of Daredevil and the Mighty Thor. That Jack Kirby and Gene Colan artwork?

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

John Romita did some FINE art on Daredevil.

Might be a hot take, but I really like Michael Cho's artworks for these MMM TPBs. I've seen some folks gripe on Amazon that Kirby and Ditko artwork isn't on the cover, as if it's a crime to have otherwise but the art is CLEAN and it further helps to differentiate these MMM TPBs from the MM HCs. 

I'm almost done with MMM X-Men vol. 1. I love seeing the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants constantly tell Master Mind high key that his mutant ability is TRASH. 

Edited by RegH81
3 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I love seeing the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants constantly tell Master Mind high key that his mutant ability is TRASH. 

Which is wild cause Jason Wyngarde’s mutant ability is fucking broke. 😂

15 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Dunno how many people catched the cameo

Reveal hidden contents

X-Men-97-1024x432.jpg

Not at first, but it was poined out by quite a few people. Which was the hint that everything was about to go sideways for those that caught it on their first viewing.

Can we get a Cyclops is Right t-shirt? 

X-Men '97 ep 5 made me recall Magneto's words at the UN to the judges. "Don't make me let you down." With that in mind...

Spoiler

If Magneto is alive (and I'm pretty sure he is), God have mercy on the soles of ANYONE involved in the Genosha Genocide. Mags about to roll up on the human race with all the smoke like

Machine Gun GIF

This is perhaps a good time for capcom to try to re release the old mvc games and marvel games, with Xmen 97 bringing those iterations of the characters to the limelight again.

Or even better, MVC4.

I still think that they will be better making a vs game with just capcom chars, but Xmen 97 shows there is interest on those characters, and it could be a good excuse to bring the games that have never had a good port, like CotA, Xmen vs Sf, Marvel vs Street Figher and Marvel Super Heroes have a collection of sorts game. (And I am not even a die hard fan of those games.)

Edited by Hecatom
23 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

This is perhaps a good time for capcom to try to re release the old mvc games and marvel games, with Xmen 97 bringing those iterations of the characters to the limelight again.

Or even better, MVC4.

I still think that they will be better making a vs game with just capcom chars, but Xmen 97 shows there is interest on those characters, and it could be a good excuse to bring the games that have never had a good port, like CotA, Xmen vs Sf, Marvel vs Street Figher and Marvel Super Heroes have a collection of sorts game. (And I am not even a die hard fan of those games.)

MVC4 is out. UMvC3 on PC with Tabs and Calikingz mods 😉

X-Men '97 ep 6

Storm

Spoiler

We are so BAAAAAAAAACK! The omega level threat queen has returned! And she's rocking the OG fit!!

Lets Go Wow GIF by FaZe Clan

Spoiler

Gladiator having a complete NO SALE on Deathbird's claws and then hitting her with the "Girl, sidown" punch, which was a love tap compared to how hard he really could have hit her.

Professor X took the Shi'ar people to school and Deathbird got demerits, because that broad is racist AF. And Chuck literally felt the ish going down on Earth. Man man, straight FELT when Gambit died. Or at least, it felt like he did.

And of course Trask had something to do with Genosha getting slaughtered. What did he think a Godzilla Sentinel was gonna do? And Trask asks to be killed? Nah, son. I want that MF to live with all that death on his conscience. Killing Trask would be WAY too good for him. 

13 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I just picked up the Predator vs Wolverine trade. I'm not expecting a deep, complicated story. I just wanna see these two cut each other up.

It’s actually pretty good. I hope you aren’t disappointed. I imagine it reads better as a trade too.

I’m a big fan of Percy. I love his Ghost Rider run. His audio dramas he wrote (The Marvel Wasteland series and the two Wolverine stories) are really good too.

My only critique is A lot of Benjamin Percy’s pacing in his comics can feel very jarring if you read them month-by-month. Everything flows way better when you read his stories by the trade. 

Edited by iStu X
17 hours ago, iStu X said:

Jonathan Hickman is writing Avengers vs. Aliens this summer. First issue drops in July. Gimme all the data pages, Hickman. I need all of them. 

IMG_0339.jpeg

Wonder how they make the Aliens a credible threat here. They'll probably incubate their young inside some very powerful Avengers and get super aliens or some shit. Sign me tf up🗣

As a kid I found out Forge and Storm were in a relationship reading a comic book... For some reason I never forgave the character of Forge and have disliked every incarnation of him in every media. 

I say that to say I still hope the new X Force run is good. It's premise sounds like it could be fun.

6 hours ago, Wellman said:

As a kid I found out Forge and Storm were in a relationship reading a comic book... For some reason I never forgave the character of Forge and have disliked every incarnation of him in every media. 

I say that to say I still hope the new X Force run is good. It's premise sounds like it could be fun.

I've never been the biggest fan of Forge either. Can't imagine why....

625788-alandavis_storm_blap036_halfcropt

I just saw X-Men '97 ep 7.

Rogue.

Spoiler

Rogue. Is. PISSED. 

Girl broke into a military base for info.  

Thunderbolt Ross: Don't worry guys, this base was built to hold the Hulk.

Rogue: Yes, it was built to hold the Hulk. It was NOT built to keep out a pissed off southern gal that lost two men.

Also Rogue

Spoiler

Dropped Trask off a tall AF building like a cookie! She straight up murdered that MF. Nah, he's alive. He got better. Like, Nimrod-Sentinel better. If this guy is a sign of things to come, the X-Men are gonna wish they were fighting the big, old, grape models.

Sinister

Spoiler

I knew he wasn't working alone. Genocide just isn't his MO.

@RegH81

Beast

Spoiler

Damn even Hank reached his limit. Trish Tilby killed the cameras for privacy and looked like she was trying to get his pager number. Then she tried to explain the human reaction to the genocide and Hank hit her with the "Bye Felicia"

Rogue

Spoiler

Gambit wasn't the only casualty in Genosha. Rogue's mercy died that day too. 

Cyclops/Jean

Spoiler

I had to feel for Cyclops. When Jean sensed a telepath, he got his hopes up. When it was Emma Frost they found, you could see his heart shatter. At least he could take some solace in knowing Nathan made it.  Speaking of Nathan, Cable's words to Madelyn hit so much harder now. "I'm sorry mom." The sadness in his voice has more impact because he knew his mom was going to die. 

Sinister

Spoiler

I'm wondering if Cassandra Nova is going to show up or is it just going to be a Bastion and Sinister collaboration. I think it's the latter. The former would be good for Deadpool & Wolverine though.

Sunspot

Spoiler

When his mom was cool with him being a mutant, it threw me for a loop. I wasn't expecting it. "Your father and I already knew. We thought it was your secret to tell."  Damn his parents aren't the asshats I'd thought they would be. Then she came back with "You can't tell anyone and we are going to decide who you can associate with." Feels bad man. 😔

The writing in X-Men '97 is so. GOOD. If MCU X-Men doesn't match or surpass this quality I'm finna be a mighty sad panda.

Rogue to

Spoiler

Captain America was like, "Oh, you ain't down with the mutant struggle? Fine. Have fun finding your shield in the mountains, MF." Rage Rogue. I'm a fan.

Beast

Spoiler

I thought Hank and Trish were gonna exchange digits for a sec but she just had to bring up human fear in the midst of a genocidal attack and Hank was like, "My dear, although your name is not Jack, you can still hit the road." Everyone is reaching their breaking point, even the most level headed of folks and I am so here for it.

Sunspot

Spoiler

For all his fear of his mom's reaction to him being a mutant, I had a feeling she was gonna be cool with it. Heck, Roberto's parents were just wanting for him to spill his guts.

And all the while things are going soooo well, mommy hits him with the rub. "We're fine with you being a mutant. But you gotta keep that ish under wraps. The shareholders will freak if they find out." 

Gyrich

Spoiler

Bastion killing Gyrich makes a song come to mind...

Edited by RegH81