Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

Just now, RSG3 said:

Sony does almost nothing on the Spiderman movies. 

Supposedly is the other way around, is Marvel who does barely nothing outside establishing parameters to not create continuity issues for other marvel movies.

Not that you would believe that, seeing how they created continuity issues with Secret Invasion retroactively, lol.

Sony lucked out with the Spider-verse crew and Raimi in his first two films, but even with me being the MOST FORGIVING SQUIGGA on here, they're at 40% whereas Marvel's 3 Home films have been mostly acclaimed with "No Way" being the most lauded.

IMO  

Sony - 8 films "fully made by sony" - 40% 

"Good"

SM 1

SM 2

S-verse 1

S-verse 2

"Bad"

SM3

ASM 1 -

ASM 2 - The worst Spidey film ever made

Venom 1

Venom 2

Morbius

Marvel  -3 films  (made  by Marvel  with administrative "help" from Sony) %100

"Good"

Homecoming

Far

NWH

Echo Trailer -  Jan 10/2024

Edited by DangerousJ
22 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Something interesting to take note, is that there has been a lot of character assasination regarding Perlmutter pushed by Disney to give the idea that K.F was the one behind the MCU and someone pushing for "marginalized" characters when in reality it was an effort between people like Favreu, Perlmutter, Feige and others.

For example, this idea that he was against movies like Black Widow, Black Panther doesn't hold to scrutiny when you remember that Ike Perlmutter tried to make a Black Panther movie back in the 90s with Wesley Snipes, and it was the failure to make said movie a reality that pushed him to then make Blade.

With Blade being the movie that actually saved the studio and pushed him to try to push more movies through the pipeline.

He was a numbers man, his stances came mostly due historical data.

What worked on box office and in the comics in the past and what worked when it came from  ancillary revenue, aka, toys, clothes, school supplies, etc.

Disney has tried to frame his stances as him being racists or misogynist, but even on leaked emails you can see that when arguing about being against certain movies, he went with a historical data mindset and not a politically charged view mind set.

His email talking about a potential Black Widow movie when talking with a Sony exec, he is citing the numbers of movies like Elektra, Catwoman, Supergirl.

He then proceeds to talk about the financial issues that the merchandise of said movies had.

After all, he was before being the chairman/ceo of marvel, the head of the toy side, so he mostly went with his decades of experience on what worked in terms of the market.

For me is clear that Perlmutter was vital to the mcu success, because at least in terms of the financial side, he clearly kept everyone in check.

Thanks for the info. Thinking on your post and thinking back on the time period you are right. They smeared him and I'm aggravated that I fell for it. That makes him importance to the early MCU even more important than I thought in retrospec. 

2 hours ago, Lantis said:

What's with Marvel Studios and their aversion for copy abilities? They did the same shit with Taskmaster

It is hard to really get across. Someone just copying a backflip or punch doesn't have much weight in a movie where as in panels it can be more impactful.

Honestly I am not even mad because Marvel has already tried to change up her abilities before in the comics due to them not being distinct enough. 

Marvel tries to have similar but not the same powers when it comes to power sets for characters

the summers brothers 

Various telepaths like, Jean, charles, Betsy, etc

husk and colossus 

cypher and Abigail brand

magneto and Polaris 

dagger and dazzler

X-23, Gabby, Daken, Logan

rockslide and avalanche  

morph and mystique 

blindspot and destiny

ms marvel and mister fantastic 

Isca the Unbeaten and Domino

Various  reality warpers like Franklin Richards, Jim Jaspers, Proteus, Legion, etc

human torch, pyro, sunspot, sun fire, etc

the entire spider-family (with symbiotes)

etc

having two characters with literally the same and admittedly not very interesting power set is not a good look. The reason the Task Master is so popular is due to seniority and when he appears he’s generally well written. 

Edited by iStu X

I'm happy to report that Loki sticks the landing. 

A fitting end to it all. His whole mantra is a thing.

Also, they better keep Majors around. 

EDIT - 

Peep the title for the first and last episode and think about a few characters in the show's name . . . 

Spoiler

S1E1  (Opener) - Glorious Purpose

S2E6  (Finale) - Glorious Purpose

Ouroboros - Serpent eating its own tale. 
Mobius M. Mobius - Play on the mobius strip (infinite loop)

Edited by OPTIMUS124
7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I assume.

I think he said this was a perfect closure for his character.

And TBH, is a great finale.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47hy5v7768h4chtyslpx

It damn well better be. For this franchise (hell TV in general) it's hard to come up with an ending to a great character that feels on-brand. Hiddleston's emotions in the final scenes (especially the last shot) was visual storytelling at its finest. He seriously earned the right to be talked about for an Emmy. 

Loki is probably the greatest character in the entirety of the MCU. 

7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Hide contents

Or how Wanda's powers manipulate reality, and the reality stone is red iirc. 👀

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF by reactionseditor

Didn't even think about it till you said it. 

1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

Ouch.

The duality of the MCU.

Loki showing us something on par with the better days of Marvel offerings.

While The Marvels seem to put on display everything wrong with current Marvel.

I would argue that of all has Marvel done, Loki is perhaps the only story that has been worth telling so far.

I almost think that Marvel would be on a better place, if after endgame, the only thing we should have was Loki S1 and 2, and after its end, they could have tried to go with a multiverse saga.

Since we would actually have a better way to start it, and Kang would already have context of who he is.

55 minutes ago, Jurassic said:

I used to watch every movie, but I gave up caring after Phase 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy vol  3. I heard The Marvels was a hot mess of a movie with bad plot points. There really needs to be better oversight when green lighting projects, otherwise people will just ignore them.

From what I heard, you can tell the patchwork it has been done to the movie due the reshoots it had, due the way the story flows, the quality of cg between scenes, etc.

Is basically a frankenstein of a movie.

7 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Ouch.

I'm waiting for the stories blaming men to come out. Like the ones that come out about women's sports when, it's the women that aren't showing up. 65% of the audience for The Marvels were men. To quote BIll Burr. "Where are all the feminists!?" I haven't seen the movie. I can't speak from experience but Iv'e watched several reviews. Reviews from a wide variety of reviewers. People with from different backgrounds and they all basically say the same thing. Weakest villian in MCU History, no real plot, with the only bright spot being Iman Vellani's Ms. Marvel. The latter doesn't surprised me at all. She's passionate about comics and it exuded through performance in the Ms. Marvel series. Dan Murrell's review was the harshest of all and you can't call him "Anti-Woke."  IIRC he said the movie, as constructed, shouldn't have been released.

Extremely glad that I opted to binge and finish Loki S2 and skip the Marvels,
though that END CREDITS SCENE for THE MARVELS!! 😲

But Loki S2 finale was the best thing the MCU put out these past few years aside from Guardians of Galaxy 3 and No Way Home.

If Hiddleston's done, he went out with the biggest W!! for MCU performance.

And that finale theme was 🔥

https://youtu.be/2DnydJsvZt0

Edited by CDB2k20
8 hours ago, Hecatom said:

The duality of the MCU.

Loki showing us something on par with the better days of Marvel offerings.

While The Marvels seem to put on display everything wrong with current Marvel.

I would argue that of all has Marvel done, Loki is perhaps the only story that has been worth telling so far.

I almost think that Marvel would be on a better place, if after endgame, the only thing we should have was Loki S1 and 2, and after its end, they could have tried to go with a multiverse saga.

Since we would actually have a better way to start it, and Kang would already have context of who he is.

Loki should have been the first thing out of the gate. 

So far, the only things that made sense to tell as a story are Loki, Wanda-Vision, and The Falcon and Winter Soldier.  Everything else (as far as series go) has felt like filler, especially after watching Loki's finale. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

Having watched The Marvels, I can say in terms of entertainment it is one of the better MCU films post Endgame. 

It is a short run time which makes me think something like the strikes or a demand from on top caused them to cut some of it. But what is there was entertaining and fun. 

One complaint, I was at a dinner cinema and during the time it took me to sign the receipt for the meal the final fight was over and I missed the whole thing. My fault for trying to tip I guess. 

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Im gonna say no to Madam Web. How does Sony create masterpieces like Spiderverse then turn right around and make shit like Kraven and this? Amazing......

Because Spiderverse was more Marvel than anything. Sony just kinda sat there and made money. Same with all the MCU Spidey films. I don’t know why the Sony-verse stuff like Venom, Morbius and likely Kraven and this are such trash. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic said:

So the Madame Web movie will be just a prolonged chase sequence with an evil Spiderman? No thanks.

Ezekiel is a dumb character made by J. Michael Straczynski and is one of the reasons I stopped giving a shit about Peter Parker Spider-Man cause his run introduced Morlun, the Spider-Totems, The Web of Life and Destiny along with all the other dumb shit that made Spider-Man stop feeling special and “neighborhoodly”. The run and the continuation of it by Dan Slott destroyed the entire point of spider-man. 

Edited by iStu X
17 hours ago, iStu X said:

Pedro Pascal is seemingly our Reed Richards 

So is he the ultimate "Dad" actor of this current celebrity generation?

Also will we get complaints about Reed not being... foolish question of course they will bitch about it.

Edit: Madame Web sounds interesting but based on the previous live action movies, I am going to ignore it unless I hear overwhelming confirmation it doesn't suck. 

Edited by Wellman
On 11/16/2023 at 11:20 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

Nothing against Pedro Pascal. He's damn good actor but is he the only name in the rolodex. At the rate Pedro is going he's going to be on set more than a lead in a Soap Opera. Dude is going to be filming a different movie for each day of the week.

I agree he is on some the Nic Cage or Steve Harvey grind but with massive IP based films and series.

I just got back from "The Marvels"

Pros:

Iman as Kamala was great and added some energy to the film. Monica was good and even Brie was 10 percent better than Cap Marvel (2019)

The 93 minute runtime (not counting credits/post credit scenes) was great. More sub 2 hr films please.

The post credit scene and that hirsute character's appearance - Fascinating

Cons:

The main villain was not memorable similar to Ronan, Malekith.  I got her rationale but it was nothing special.

Despite having some level of stakes, the danger /tension didn't really come across as strongly as the characters saying it on screen. The few emotional moments didn't land as hard for me personally.

Misc: If you didn't watch Ms Marvel or Wanda vision, prepare to be behind.

Overall: A solid but somewhat skippable movie. See it at a matinee.

7/10

• 2 weeks later...