Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

I just finished Secret Invasion.

Pros:

Nice to see Sam Jackson take the lead. His weary performance along with Olivia Colman's snappy turn as Sonya alongside Don Cheadle are good.

Kingsley Ben Adir doesn't get much as Gravik , but is good in the final episode and other bits.

Cons

For only 6 episodes, it felt very slow. There is little urgency and intrigue. The characters you think are Skrulls are Skrulls.

Very little action and  what action there is ranges from serviceable to mediocre and is poorly lit.

The final battle  feels extraneous and introduces a concept that is very overpowered. I wouldn't be surprised if this concept is shuffled away quickly and the character who uses  it never is seen again.

2 of the big deaths-  The first one deserved a grander send off in a theatrical film and the second one I didnt feel much at all given the character's few appearances.

Overall:  6/10

Very mediocre. Probably the second worst Disney Plus show after Moon Knight for me.

https://www.superherohype.com/news/542857-spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-4k-blu-ray-digital-release-date

Spider-verse 2 Bluray release date is September 5.

Special Feature list on Blu/4k:

Obscure Spiders and Easter Eggs
Deleted Scene: Miguel Calling
“I’mma Do My Own Thing” Interdimensional Destiny
Across the Worlds: Designing New Dimensions
Designing Spiders and Spots
Scratches, Score and The Music of the Multiverse
Escape from Spider-Society
Across the Comics-Verse
Lyric Videos
Filmmaker Commentary

On 3/2/2018 at 7:25 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

With Black Panther killing it at the box office, Infinity War being moved up to a April 27th release, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D returning from break tonight, and Season 2 of Jessica Jones coming next week. I thought it would be a good idea to get a Marvel TV and Movie thread up and running.

How far we rose (and then fell) from this post...

I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Pros:

The flashbacks to Rocket's origin were done very well. Brutal and poignant especially for CGI animals.

Nebula stepping up to be an almost second in command.

Iwuji's performance as the Evolutionary being both cold and clinical yet intense.

Groot's last line and how the ending has some finality without fully getting rid of all the characters

The choice to not magically have Quill and Gamora back to pre-Infinity War status quo and their interactions and how they ultimately end up.

Cons

I wish Adam Warlock was in it more.

Overall: 8.5/10

GOTG 1       8/10

GOTG  2     8/10

Edited by DangerousJ
Just now, Wellman said:

When Fall of X is over, I really hope they don't fully revert back to status quo of X Men as a paramilitary organization running out of a school. You can break the Krakoa alliances and such up but they literally have gone too far to revert again to that state.

I literally read this and thought, "What the hell has Elon done now?" Then I remembered I was in the Marvel thread 😑

4 hours ago, Wellman said:

When Fall of X is over, I really hope they don't fully revert back to status quo of X Men as a paramilitary organization running out of a school. You can break the Krakoa alliances and such up but they literally have gone too far to revert again to that state.

Fall of X is setting up mutants to become a more universal wide presence. The recent gala and x-titles have scattered the mutant populous all over the universe. Some are on Arrako, some in Shi'iar space, some in a random ass desert. I think everything is gearing up to the timelime Karmina mentioned in Inferno where the mutant race ultimately wins. 

Edited by iStu X

For disc/physical media fans...

Wandavision and Loki S1 are coming to 4k/Bluray.

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/544862-loki-wandavision-the-mandalorian-4k-release

Announced by Disney, the new range Collector’s Edition 4K UHD and Blu-ray releases will feature WandaVision, Loki, and The Mandalorian Season 1 and 2. These editions will come packaged in Steelbook cases that bear art by Attila Szarka as well as concept art cards and never-before-seen bonus features.

As for release dates, Marvel Cinematic Universe fans can pick up Loki: The Complete First Season on September 26. WandaVision: The Complete Series arrives on November 28 followed by The Mandalorian: The Complete First Season on December 12, which is also when The Mandalorian: The Complete Second Season arrives.

Can anyone fill me in on what's going on with the X-Men? It seems a bit overwhelming to go through all of it by myself. So every mutant is now located on Krakoa? Even big bads like Sinister and Apocalypse? I can understand Xavier and Magneto working together, but how did those other guys with so many conflicting goals set up a truce? Is it just the common goal of birthing new mutants from those egg things and they're plotting things in the background? It seems like a great story and I see a lot of people praising it, so it made me curious to check it out.

10 hours ago, Dracu said:

Can anyone fill me in on what's going on with the X-Men? It seems a bit overwhelming to go through all of it by myself. So every mutant is now located on Krakoa? Even big bads like Sinister and Apocalypse? I can understand Xavier and Magneto working together, but how did those other guys with so many conflicting goals set up a truce? Is it just the common goal of birthing new mutants from those egg things and they're plotting things in the background? It seems like a great story and I see a lot of people praising it, so it made me curious to check it out.

I will do my best but iStuX can correct me if I missed anything.

Spoiler

So in the most basic terms Marvel let acclaimed writer Jonathan Hickman lead a massive Retcon story, which had a previously known as human Moria McTaggart revealed as a mutant with the power of reincarnation/time rewinding/parallel universe knowledge. I forget how it was explained but she basically could live a long time and anytime she dies she is reincarnated with memories of her previous life. Due to her knowledge of coming threats to mutants and the world she informed Xavier who along with all the other mutant, evil ones included (although to be fair most of cool evil ones by that point had joined the X Men in some fashion). They moved to the living mutant island of Krakoa. Any who didn't fall in line were not killed but essentially sealed within the island of they were captured. Many who fell in line found ways to gain, certain  desires they are promised, power or influence which it being comics leads to the usual and sometimes out of ordinary  scheming and betrayals, for the best or worst reasons. And a lot of their non mutant enemies are getting the push as well with several crazy boosts and factions, because when mutants are on the rise the haters are going to hate.

The story has basically been for all the X books, creating interesting settings and scenarios for the various books and creators involved. It is probably the most consistent line of superhero books in the last several years.

On 8/24/2023 at 2:14 AM, Dracu said:

If you are gonna check it out, do it! There's tradepaper back issues like HOUSE OF X (2019) and POWERS OF X (2019) that are the beginning of this new era.

spoilers:

Spoiler

Well, there was indeed a retcon with Moira Mactaggert: she was retconned into a mutant. She's a mutant with the power of reincarnation. Also when she dies that timeline is rebooted. And with every reincarnation she possesses all the knowledge from her previous lives.

In her third life, Moira developed a power-neutralizing mutant cure. She was ultimately killed by the prophetic mutant Destiny and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, who warned Moira about working against mutants in her later lives. During this deadly encounter, Moira also learned her powers would only allow her to be reincarnated and live through 10 or 11 lives.

In her subsequent lives, Moira tried to save mutantkind by teaming up with leaders like Xavier, Magneto, and Apocalypse, but all of those timelines ultimately saw mutants eradicated by advanced Sentinels or highly evolved post-humans. Even in the life where she assassinated every member of the Sentinel-creating Trask family, Moira saw mutants hunted to extinction by Sentinels, which made her lose faith in the long-term viability of mutantkind. So, in her ninth life, Moira identified the creation and activation of the mutant-hunting Nimrod Sentinel as the tipping point for mutantkind’s survival.

In her tenth life, Moira quietly worked with Xavier and Magneto for many years to facilitate the establishment of Krakoa in the modern Marvel Universe. Feeling that she had become too prominent in the X-Men’s world, Moira replaced herself with a Shi’ar golem to fake her death and receded into the shadows to pursue her plans. Once Krakoa had been fully established, Moira remained in the shadows and continued to advise Xavier and Magneto. She also insisted that precognitive mutants like Destiny could not be resurrected on Krakoa in order to keep the doomed future of mutantkind a secret.

Xavier, realizing that mutants lose in every timeline, and that only together they stand a chance in a world that fears and hates them, decides to make a country for mutants where they can put aside differences and unite to reach new heights. So, yes, Apocalypse and other enemies would be welcomed if they recognized Krakoa and its laws.

In X-men Legacy #225 you could see this realization somewhat.

Mr. Sinister was a necessary evil since he possesses the largest repository of mutant DNA. Using Shi'ar technology, Xavier and Forged worked on a device that backs up the psyche of mutants which could be used to bring back. A circuit of five mutants, using the DNA provided by Sinister, can recreate the bodies of humans and then download the backed up psyche into them. Thus, avoiding terminal death.

With mutants working together, they could accomplish great feat such as terraforming words, create new technologies. It's a project so significant that even Apocalypse would not dare reject.

Edited by AriesWarlock
3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

All I really know is Beast has been character assassinated and Xavier insists on wearing a really stupid helmet that makes him look like a fucking bobbel head. 

The professor wearing a stupid costume after years of forcing other to wear ones is fine. My issue is that it looks too much like the Maker except more spherical and less Xenomorph skull shape.

Thanks guys! Story certainly sounds cool. I've recently finished watching X-Men TAS and it was so good, that it ignited an X-Men itch that needs scratching, but since most of the modern comics stories have been lame to promote the MCU, I really didn't want to go on wasting my time. This one not only sounds cool, just based on premise alone, but it fits the overall story of the X-Men so well. I'll certainly give it a look.

17 hours ago, Dracu said:

Thanks guys! Story certainly sounds cool. I've recently finished watching X-Men TAS and it was so good, that it ignited an X-Men itch that needs scratching, but since most of the modern comics stories have been lame to promote the MCU, I really didn't want to go on wasting my time. This one not only sounds cool, just based on premise alone, but it fits the overall story of the X-Men so well. I'll certainly give it a look.

All of the trades also organize the issues in chronological order and not release order. Which is really nice. 

the trade/release order goes 

House/Powers of X 

Dawn of X

X of Swords

Reign of X

Trials of X

I think the next line of trades is called Destiny of X and then it'll be Fall of X. Don't quote me on this part because I'm not too sure. 

Edited by iStu X

X-Men: The Last Stand Co-Screenwriter Sets Record Straight on the Movie's Most Controversial Line

X-Men: The Last Stand’s Simon Kinberg disavows the iconic quip from Juggernaut.

vinnie-jones-as-juggernaut-in-x-men-the-

Summary

• Simon Kinberg clarifies that he didn't write the contentious line "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch" in X-Men: The Last Stand, which was added during reshoots.
  • Rebecca Romijn expresses dissatisfaction with director Brett Ratner's behavior on set, highlighting a disconnect with some cast members.
  • Bryan Singer, director of previous X-Men installments, received praise from Romijn while also facing allegations of unprofessional behavior on set.

https://movieweb.com/vinnie-jones-juggernaut-x-men-the-last-stand/

I kinda feel bad for Donny Cates as everyone just seems to be wiping the slate clean of his work. 

Hickman ignored The Maker’s entire plot thread from Donny’s venom run 

Al Ewing basically undid everything from his Thor run outside of him being the All Father 

Phillip K. Johnson doesn’t even really acknowledge his Hulk run. 

On 9/9/2023 at 2:18 PM, iStu X said:

I kinda feel bad for Donny Cates as everyone just seems to be wiping the slate clean of his work. 

Hickman ignored The Maker’s entire plot thread from Donny’s venom run 

Al Ewing basically undid everything from his Thor run outside of him being the All Father 

Phillip K. Johnson doesn’t even really acknowledge his Hulk run. 

Unfortunate for Cates, he doesn't seem to have editorial backing which between writers is usually where they would push for stuff that happened in the past to be recognized. If Hickman didn't read your run or like it, you can't tell him to embrace the changes you made because of his status. Ewing is probably also there as well in terms of tenure with Marvel. Phillip K. Johnson, that is on the Hulk editorial. 

Really does suck for him, especially after that accident but hopefully he can comeback and like many comic writers before him, graft his story into another book to create a ending.