Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

• 2 weeks later...

Jed MacKay who’s currently writing Avengers, Doctor Strange and Moon Knight is writing an event next year based around a vampire outbreak in New York. 

main protags will be Doctor Strange, Moon Knight, Miles Morales and Blade. 

I wouldn’t really give a shit about the event if it wasn’t for Jed MacKay. He’s been a breath of fresh air in the marvel. His moon knight run has been nothing short of superb. 

Edited by iStu X
41 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

I haven't read FF,but has Sue slept with Doom or T'challa?

Depending on the universe she’s been with Doom instead of Reed at the start but ultimately ends up with Reed. So yes but no. 

Valeria Richards is also technically Doom and Sue’s biological daughter from an alternate reality but the same Valeria was later reworked to be Reed and Sues biological daughter through a loooooot of comic book logic ass pulling and retconning. So…it’s weird. 😂

Her name is actually Valeria Von Doom-Richards as one of the conditions of Doom to save Susan during the pregnancy was the daughter kept her name. Which Sue and Reed reluctantly agreed to. 

She actually refers to Doom as her uncle and they have an amazing relationship. She’s one of the few people Doom genuinely respects and holds in high regard. Partially due to their history but also because she’s arguably the smartest person in the Marvel Universe (Her, Doom and Reed constantly swap top 3 spots) 

As for T’Challa It’s been hinted at heavily throughout F4 and BP’s publication history that at some point during or after their initial meeting T’Challa and Susan have fucked but it’s never been canonically confirmed. However, her and Namor have fucked. It’s why Reed hates Namor so much and can barely exist in the same room with him. 

Edited by iStu X
394624470_716515027188786_96209821651117

LIVE-ACTION SUPERHERO: BRIGITTE NIELSEN as SHE-HULK (1991)
Although this picture was never made, it had a starring actress in Brigitte Nielsen, a director in Larry Cohen (a successful genre filmmaker), and a screenplay by Carl Gottlieb (of JAWS fame) connected to it before it died.
The producers did photograph the actress as She-Hulk and as her alter ego Jennifer Walters in order to pique the curiosity of potential financiers in the film.

394577811_716515657188723_14622075644101

394502422_716516233855332_63862420916417

394502053_716516600521962_18385575677614

6 hours ago, Hecatom said:

So Loki S2E3

Hide contents

Wanna bet that they will make Ravonna Renslayer a varian of Kahg?

So

Spoiler

So, the short of it, in the comics there’s isn’t a reality where Ravonna Renslayer lives as Kang in the reason she dies. Since he is in love with her (and she loved him until I reveal the following it) To rectify this Kang takes part of her worth him through the time stream/alternate realities to find a way to save her. He does it so much that she becomes just as much of the time stream as he is and she hates him for it in every timeline while telling him they’ll never be together. 

They just reworked Kang origins story in a mini called Kang: Only Myself to Conquer where they streamlined this and expanded on it more. It’s a really good story.

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

So

Hide contents

So, the short of it, in the comics there’s isn’t a reality where Ravonna Renslayer lives as Kang in the reason she dies. Since he is in love with her (and she loved him until I reveal the following it) To rectify this Kang takes part of her worth him through the time stream/alternate realities to find a way to save her. He does it so much that she becomes just as much of the time stream as he is and she hates him for it in every timeline while telling him they’ll never be together. 

They just reworked Kang origins story in a mini called Kang: Only Myself to Conquer where they streamlined this and expanded on it more. It’s a really good story.

Spoiler

TBH, I am only midly aware of her origins in the comics and her ties with Kang, my comment is mostly that with how Disney has been of predictable with how they write their stories, I suddenly got the feeling that they will just go that way after the line that Miss Minutes said at the end, about her revealing a secret she knows about her that she wouldn't like.

After all, they already reworked Silvye into a variant of Loki, and I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to also rework Ravonna as a variant of Kang.
And how they reworked Mobius and Ouroborus into 2 totally different characters instead of all of them being clones of Mobius/Paradox.

On 11/1/2023 at 9:23 PM, BornWinner said:

I know we talked about this before, but this is insane.

The titular character was the fourth lead? What were they cooking in there? Not to mention this would be a complete waste of Ali.

Not saying that it wouldn't have been a bad idea, but this is like judging a movie based on terrible concept art. . . and yes a complete waste of Ali if this came to pass. 

Finished this week's ep of Loki . . . . I swear this show better stick the damn landing. 

EDIT- I also think this is the first time they used his leitmotif at the end credits. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
On 11/1/2023 at 9:23 PM, BornWinner said:

I know we talked about this before, but this is insane.

The titular character was the fourth lead? What were they cooking in there? Not to mention this would be a complete waste of Ali.

Is anyone really surprised by this? It's par for the course. If Mahershala wouldn't have put his foot down. Blade would of dropped with him being in the backseat of his own movie. Fans would have called it out and places like Variety and the Hollywood Reporter would have crushed them for it.  Called them sexist, misogynistic, etc. I've noticed a recent trend of these type of outlets posting the type of stories they'd have crushed Youtubers for in the past. Or them bringing up shit that Youtubers had already noticed and talked about years ago. I guess now that Disney and Warner aren't handing out checks, it's okay to point out their BS now.

Side note: It's good to see actors like Henry Cavill, Jenna Ortega, and Mahershala Ali stand up to this nonsense.

As great as Mahershala is, there is also the problem of time and age here.  That dude is 49 right now....not really the best choice to cast a dude at the end of his 40s if you're hoping to have ongoing sequels.  They should've done the normal thing and got a fresh 20-something no-name actor so you have good potential of keeping him around for sequels and crossovers. (and a no-name would of course be cheaper to get anyway)

Funny thing to me is that there's of course some hardcore fans of Snipes that are still thinking he should be Blade....but bruh c'mon... he's 61.  We have to be a bit realistic at some point when it comes to age when you're hoping for future sequels.

*anyway, it will also be funny to see Mahershala finally give up on this crap and walk away.  I'll be here to continue laughing maliciously at Disney/Marvel's embarrassment.

The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

Edited by MillionX

Moving on from Endgame would have always been hard for the MCU, considering everything was building up to it for more than a decade, but they dropped the ball harder than it was expected. Except for some uber MCU nerds I think most of the good will Marvel struggled to build just went up in the air. I don't think there's any recovery from the hole they dug themselves into. Their most exciting projects are in development hell, while even those without much production turmoil ended up the worst of the MCU bar none. 

I disagree, the absolute worst of the MCU is still firmly rooted on Phase 1-3. Only 1 iron Man movie is good the other two suck, badly, Thor Darkwirld is almost unwatchable its so fucking boring. Nothing post End Game has been as bad as those 3. If they can recover from that absolute drek they can recover from this slump. 

Edited by RSG3

Eternals, Shang-Chi, She-Hulk, Ms.Marvel and Wakanda Forever are worse than anything in Phases 1 to 3. Simply unwatchable drivel. 

Their best projects: No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness and GOTG Vol.3 are building up on what came before them, but considering Gunn is moving on from the Guardians, Dr.Strange rushed an entire character arc between credits and Spiderman is up in the air, there's no reason to expect much from future projects involving them either.

The only one I'd be willing to give a pass to is Wakanda Forever as Boseman's death certainly threw a huge wrench in their plans, but even then, it's debatable if not recasting the main lead was honoring the man, considering we ended up with a piece of shit that craps all over the world Boseman worked hard to establish.

Iron Man 2, for how boring it was, certainly treated the characters better than whatever they're doing / planning with Riri Williams.

And Thor the Dark World, for how plain it is, at least is not full on insultingly terrible like Love and Thunder. The decline in quality is obvious.

55 minutes ago, Dracu said:

Eternals, Shang-Chi, She-Hulk, Ms.Marvel and Wakanda Forever are worse than anything in Phases 1 to 3. Simply unwatchable drivel. 

Naw. 

Eternals was great but it just didn’t make sense in terms of timeline. Eternals should have happened much earlier in the timeline. 

shang chi was great until its horrible third act. It goes shoulder to shoulder with Winter Soldier for me in terms of fight choreography.  I give them credit for doing a lot with a character with limited publication history and none of it being particularly interesting. 

she-hulk was amazing. Like, Legit amazing. The show leaned into John Byrne and Dan Slott’s respective runs. She was dead pool decades before he even existed and the show nailed that feeling. The only bad part of She Hulk was the debut of Skarr. He looks awful. 

Ms. marvel having her power set changed still pisses me off but the series was great. Iman Vellani is an absolute chad and a genuine comic book nerd. I love her. She’s the perfect Kamala. 

Wakanda Forever was fine. Namor was a great. Angela Bassett acted her ass off. Some of the cgi was ugly as fuck but the movie was fine. BP1 is far and away better, sure but Wakanda Forever is still good. 

Edited by iStu X

I still haven't gotten to see GotG 3 or Love and Thunder yet, but at worst most the films have been fine. Shang Chi was the best and Wakanda Forever is only behind it because while emotional, it doesn't have the amount of action I personally prefer. 

I am trying to sort my feelings on Quantumania as that despite all the characters and performances felt like a let down for all the hype.

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

she-hulk was amazing. Like, Legit amazing. The show leaned into John Byrne and Dan Slott’s respective runs. She was dead pool decades before he even existed and the show nailed that feeling.

I like She-Hulk, the character.  And I like basically everyone involved in the She-Hulk show.  But the execution fell REALLY flat on its face.  I think the campiness of the Deadpool movies let them pull off the metatextual 4th wall stuff a lot better.  She-Hulk the show ironically never gets quite silly enough to carry the rough parts.

On 11/3/2023 at 6:37 AM, Dracu said:

Moving on from Endgame would have always been hard for the MCU, considering everything was building up to it for more than a decade, but they dropped the ball harder than it was expected. Except for some uber MCU nerds I think most of the good will Marvel struggled to build just went up in the air. I don't think there's any recovery from the hole they dug themselves into. Their most exciting projects are in development hell, while even those without much production turmoil ended up the worst of the MCU bar none. 

I disagree with him on a lot of things but Ike Perlmutter was clearly important. Once Feige got him out of the way the MCU started going downhill. Perlmutter was the reason Black Widow didn't get her movie when it would have mattered. He didn't think Black Panther would be huge hit. That said, he felt that the MCU should focus on established characters. He thought the products needed proper preproduction and wanted to keep budgets down.  Feige, for reasons beyond me, thought focusing on new characters that weren't well received in the comics was the way to go. Hard cord comics nerds weren't buying their books and casuals had no clue who they were. Then he compounded the issue with a "we'll fix it in post" philosophy that ballooned budgets out of control and increased the load on an already overworked VFX industry.

Marvel basically made the same mistake Lucasfilm made with Star Wars. They shifted away from their core demographic. They started chasing Twitterstans that talk a good game but don't actually buy or support shit. So when they pissed off the diehards for a new audience that doesn't support them and were left with nothing. People point to "superhero fatigue". That's not the main issue. It shitty movie fatigue. Casuals used to see "Marvel Studios" in front of a film and know they'd have a good time watching whatever it was. That's no longer the case. 

Most viewers think Phase 4 and 5 aren't any good. We can have personal debates about the quality of the two here but numbers are the numbers. People didn't like it. They weren't giving the audience what they want. You do that and people show up. The mainstream entertainment media was talking about superhero fatigue, covid, etc. Then Spiderman No Way Home dropped and was a massive hit. Why? Because they put out something the general audience wanted to see. Somewhere along the line, entertainment companies forgot they need to entertain their customers. Instead, they created a bunch of bot accounts to attack legitimate criticism of their product all the while accusing the fandom of using bot accounts.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Snip

Something interesting to take note, is that there has been a lot of character assasination regarding Perlmutter pushed by Disney to give the idea that K.F was the one behind the MCU and someone pushing for "marginalized" characters when in reality it was an effort between people like Favreu, Perlmutter, Feige and others.

For example, this idea that he was against movies like Black Widow, Black Panther doesn't hold to scrutiny when you remember that Ike Perlmutter tried to make a Black Panther movie back in the 90s with Wesley Snipes, and it was the failure to make said movie a reality that pushed him to then make Blade.

With Blade being the movie that actually saved the studio and pushed him to try to push more movies through the pipeline.

He was a numbers man, his stances came mostly due historical data.

What worked on box office and in the comics in the past and what worked when it came from  ancillary revenue, aka, toys, clothes, school supplies, etc.

Disney has tried to frame his stances as him being racists or misogynist, but even on leaked emails you can see that when arguing about being against certain movies, he went with a historical data mindset and not a politically charged view mind set.

His email talking about a potential Black Widow movie when talking with a Sony exec, he is citing the numbers of movies like Elektra, Catwoman, Supergirl.

He then proceeds to talk about the financial issues that the merchandise of said movies had.

After all, he was before being the chairman/ceo of marvel, the head of the toy side, so he mostly went with his decades of experience on what worked in terms of the market.

For me is clear that Perlmutter was vital to the mcu success, because at least in terms of the financial side, he clearly kept everyone in check.

5 hours ago, Dracu said:

Their best projects: No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness and GOTG Vol.3

I wouldn't put MoM as one of their best projects either.

In my case, the only things of note that they have made after phase 3 ended have been

Wandavision

Falcon and the Winter Soldier (minus the dumbass do better speech at the end, that shit was stupid)

Loki S1 and so far S2

No Way Home (which imo is not really marvel, since it was mostly a Sony thing)

GotG Vol3

Werewolf by Night

MoonKnight was okish, but if you like the character and the comics is bad.

The rest is mediocre at best, garbage at worst.