Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

2 hours ago, RegH81 said:

This is the Krakoan X-Men era, right? After reading this book, where would I go for the other X books in this era? The reading order sounds kinda confusing.

So the cool thing about the krakoan era trades is that they put all the post HoX/PoX issues in canonical order and not release order so it’s nice. It goes the following: 

Dawn of X 

X of Swords

Rise of X

Inferno

Trials of X 

It’s hard to keep track after that because they announced near the end of the Trials of X trades they were not going to collect the rest of the krakoan era in trades. In English anyways? Destiny lf X was printed in France only for some reason. Which is dumb cause I have HoX/PoX through all of trials of X

Judgement Day (Avengers vs. X-Men vs. Eternals) and Sins of Sinister events are after that. Trials of X I just don’t exactly remember when. 

the current and last leg of the krakoan era is called “Fall of X” and it’s almost entirely 4 issue mini’s with main title tie ins here and there. Theres only like 3 main ongoing titles right now which are Wolverine, X-Force and X-Men. Everything else has been mini’s and one-shots. 

Edited by iStu X
15 hours ago, RegH81 said:

didn't think the Krakoan era was THAT extensive

It is a lot but as I said a lot of it is collected in trade so it’s a lot easier to digest. The trades even include a lot of the X-Men tie-in’s from other events like Devil’s Reign and the like. 

The only non-X Men title really that you need to follow is Iron Man cause it’s part of the fall of X line due to Tony and Emma currently being married. (long story, sounds odd on paper, but it’s honestly kinda great) 

On 3/20/2024 at 8:29 PM, AriesWarlock said:

X-Men

i-dont-know-if-i-should-be-proud-or-conc

433803777_10107917607118915_352582018752

That collection of X-Men HC, TBPs and omnibuses... it's beautiful, man.

The Office Crying GIF

My first Marvel Omnibus was Uncanny X-Men vol. 1, I still have it sealed. I've been collecting the Epic Collections to save some cash but I occasionally spring for those omnibus books when I can. I've got a couple other Marvel Omnibuses: Untold Tales of Spider-Man, Jack Kirby's Captain America run, Roger Stern's Amazing Spider-Man run and Ed Brubaker's first omni on Captain America.

Ordered Fantastic Four Epic Collection: The Coming of Galactus. Never read this story but heard so many good things about it. Was hard to pass up at a $25 price tag.

I picked up X-Men Days of Future Past Doomsday. Was pretty interesting to see how America went to crap in 30 years and just how some of the X-Men were taken out. 

X-Men '97 episode 3

Spoiler

Goblin Queen went to WORK on the X-Men. Had those MFs in real house of horrors.

Cyclops shooting Bishop and then Bishop just going HAM on those demons was PEAK.

Magneto got cut up so much, you think he was in an issue of Wolverine.

We have no idea when Sinister switched Maddy for Jean. I thought it might be during Beyond good and Evil but it could have been even before that.

Bishop taking Baby Nathan to the future? Maaaan, he better be back for the 3 part finale.

4 hours ago, RegH81 said:

X-Men '97 episode 3

Hide contents

Goblin Queen went to WORK on the X-Men. Had those MFs in real house of horrors.

Cyclops shooting Bishop and then Bishop just going HAM on those demons was PEAK.

Magneto got cut up so much, you think he was in an issue of Wolverine.

We have no idea when Sinister switched Maddy for Jean. I thought it might be during Beyond good and Evil but it could have been even before that.

Bishop taking Baby Nathan to the future? Maaaan, he better be back for the 3 part finale.

My thoughts...

Spoiler

While it wasn't bad by any means. I thought this was just an okay episode. The story arc of this episode should have been a two parter. Cramming all this into one half hour episode was bad choice IMO. It didn't give the story enough time to breathe. The mansion part of the episode should have been part 1 and the confrontation at Siniters estate should have been part 2. It's going to sound hypocritical after all that, but I'm gonna need Forge to speedrun the return of Storm's powers. I need my African Weather Goddess dropping bars before she drops the X-men's opponents. I need my episodic dose of Storm speeches and Rogue southern euphemysms 😁

Side note: When she was voicing The Goblin Queen, all I heard from Jennifer Hale was Commander Shepard. It's weird because I never felt that way when she voices Jean. 

Episode 3 Non Spoiler Thoughts:

Like Darc said, there was too much content compressed into a single episode.

It should have been a two parter at the very minimum.

Because of that, certain moments had little emotional resonance. 

The animation is still great especially the battle at the end.

I wish ----  himself had a larger part in the episode. The actor sounds good ,but the vocal processing sounds off.

The horror vibe /mild blood was on point.

Solid episode overall.

The tease at the end-Skeet Skeet!

Edited by DangerousJ
13 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I don't get why Marvel is soooo terrified of letting Peter be married and have kids. That life looks good on him in Ultimate Spider-Man. 

Not only that, it makes no sense financially. Spiderman's sales are higher when he's with MJ. The lastest books show that once more. I swear they hate Peter. They just continually do fucked up shit to him. Even Aunt May has caught strays, they turned her into damned thot....like just why man. Leave Aunt May alone too.

6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Not only that, it makes no sense financially. Spiderman's sales are higher when he's with MJ. The lastest books show that once more. I swear they hate Peter. They just continually do fucked up shit to him. Even Aunt May has caught strays, they turned her into damned thot....like just why man. Leave Aunt May alone too.

It’s fine. Ain’t May is dead in the new ultimates universe while Uncle Ben and J. Jonah Jameson are basically Peter’s dads. 

I noticed the wording on those using the Danger Room in X-Men '97 episode 3 is green. Maddy's powers are also color coated green. So maybe that was Maddy's powers at work screwing with Gambit. That or...

Spoiler

Rogue is really getting her back blown out by Magneto for 2 hours every day.

X-Men 97 has been good so far, I really hope it stays strong, even when episode 3 felt like it could have been 2 chapters instead of one.

BTW, it feels kind of weird to watch it in english since I am now bilingual, since when I was a kid I only watched the og with the I mexican dub, so some characters feel hammier in some places, like Ororo and Beast 😅

We need a new X-Men beat 'em up game. And a re-release of the Konami arcade game.

------

I finally read Chip Zdarsky's Spider-Man: Spider's Shadow mini series.  Dude is one of the best writers to pen Spidey. The twists and turns he put in the story worked so well. And kudos to having someone in the story call out Eddie Brock for his stupid reasons for hating Spider-Man. Like how DARE Spider-Man catch the actual Sin Eater killer. 

Posted (edited)

I'm slipping. I had time to watch X-Men 97' before work and didn't. My alarm goes off at 5:35am. I don't leave for work until 7:15am. Wait....I have Disney+ on my phone and 1 hour lunch break 😁

Edit: Watched it on my lunch break. It was fun episode. It didn't have the burden of crammings years of storyline into a half hour episode like last week.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So when are we getting a 2D X-men beat em up in the vain of episode 4 of X-Men 97? I need a 6 player X-Men arcade machine and 5 Megashockers to join me. Last person on gets stuck with Dazzler.

Probably never bro. When do we get nice things? 

"We’re going to do a bunch of good comics, Xavi," Brevoort says in response to a fan on his Substack asking what Krakoan fans can look forward to in the revamp. "That’s the only way to attract and enthrall any readers, new or established. We’re going to make you want to read them by making you want to read them"

Bruh, fucking what? Yoyre gonna make me want to read them by making me want to read them? What thenfuck does that mean?...And why can't you do this with the current books exactly? 

"Here’s the thing: in comics especially, things change, all the time," writes Brevoort on his Substack. "We move forward, we evolve situations, we play out storylines and then we do other storylines. Nothing really remains all that static for all that long, even if there is often a magnetic pull back towards some platonic ideal as to what each character is all about."

We are changing things because I want to. Thats literally the only thing this wall of mouth vomit means. "Im bored." Is what i grt from this. Holy shit what a terrible fucking interview, he sounds fucking stupid here. 

"Nobody else on Earth thinks the way Hickman does, and it would be a fool’s game to even attempt it. You’re not going to outdo him that way," says the longtime Marvel editor. "Instead, we’re going to do our own thing, and count on the talent and inventiveness and commitment of our creative teams to see us through."

Hahahaha he's a coward. Hickmans shits too hard to continue for him without Hickman so he's just being a coward and reseting back to easy mode. Yea this interview was bad, really REALLY bad lol. 

Edited by RSG3

Hickman went all in on mutants being Marvel’s marginalized group and it pissed a lot of people off. Readers and marvel staff alike.

Marvel simply got cold feet and got tired of writing those stories. So back to the mansion and all the other out of date dumb shit no one wants anymore. 

Edited by iStu X

I mean it comes down to two things. 

1st. Synergy. X Men 97 is massively different from Krakoa and comic editors/executives are always seeking to feed on that synergy even if it doesn't work.

The 2nd. Brev is a old blood. Not sure why he is being given this gig besides he has already did the cycle on every other major comic group. He isn't about pushing boundaries, he will let writers do that within a simple status quo but he really doesn't want to handle a wider universe or effect it. 

All this means... It might be good but the majority is probably retreading familiar ground.

Edited by Wellman

I was hoping something of Krakoa would remain going forward, but just like in other titles, it reverses back to status quo.

And that reminds me of something Chris Claremont said on Reddit, Stan Lee once told him

Marvel characters are like toys, writers can take them out of their packaging and play with them,

but they have to return them to their boxes when they are done playing.

Other reversions I thought were crap was having Doctor Doom after

Secret Wars with a healed face disfigured again because it just had to happen.

And Golden Galactus reverting back to the same ol' devourer shit just

because he ate ONE sickly planet.

435988986_304532119334238_86492596206274

Edited by AriesWarlock
1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

Other reversions I thought were crap was having Doctor Doom after

Secret Wars with a healed face disfigured again because it just had to happen

This was another instance of Dan Slott being an insufferable cunt by systematically trying to undo everything Hickman did with the F4. 

Same with why Doom “had to” become a villain again after Bendis’ Infamous Iron Man run. 

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

And that reminds me of something Chris Claremont said on Twitter, Stan Lee once told him

Marvel characters are like toys, writers can take them out of their packaging and play with them,

but they have to return them to their boxes when they are done playing.

Gotta disagree with Stan there, no kid puts their toys back in the box. That's honestly kinda stupid and why Comic Books are stale.

On 4/6/2024 at 11:28 PM, iStu X said:

This was another instance of Dan Slott being an insufferable cunt by systematically trying to undo everything Hickman did with the F4. 

Same with why Doom “had to” become a villain again after Bendis’ Infamous Iron Man run. 

I used to love Dan Slott, but once he got on the flagship books he got so meh, outside of Spider Verse and the Superior Spider-Man sagas. And Spider Verse mostly gets the pass because of the guest stars/cameos/Easter eggs then later the movies.