Stage Select

The NRS Thread

1 hour ago, Volta said:

I think they do? Can't test it right now.

Im playing the tutorial right now and it’s one defensive bar 

@misterBeeprobably not yet. I haven’t learned all I want to learn yet before I start running sets 

Wtf why does Kitana lose her regular air fan when picking the downward one? They aren’t even the same motion. 

Edited by Vhozite
6 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Can you not use U2/U3 after delay getup? I’m constantly trying to find ways around this games defensive options and I never noticed this before today. 

@Mattatsuwhats your Kitana loadout?

I was messing with the princess and while I still think Half-Blood stance/Nado is good I kind of want something that gives her more offensive options. I kind of like Ground War and Fan-Nado, but I’m not sure about the other options. Low Fan is pretty trash on hit, and I can’t tell if flutters are a gimmick or something with legit applications. 

I’m not sure of my loadout tbh. I have two variations: ground war/low fan/royal protection and halfblood/ground war.

i like the first one more because my favourite tools for her is ground war and low fan. Royal protection is good against people who can only throw one projectile at a time and not amplify a second (so, people like Sub-Zero), but it’s absolutely terrible if the opponent has a follow-up amplified projectile. I probably would’ve opted for up fan if it had a different command from low fan.  I haven't found a third tool I really like. I’m not a fan of nado myself, but I’ll admit, i haven't tested many of her other options... i am curious of the downward air fan, and there’s something with “fade” in the name but not sure what it does.

Halfblood and ground war is good, but i still find myself having that dumb issue where I’m annoyed that kitana has someone else’s moves. 

i think flutter is a gimmick. It was strong in MKX because it could turn a forward jump into a neutral jump punch launcher, but nothing like that here. I think it’s only useful equipped with the downward air fan and for getting more height in the air to go over high projectilea, which you can just duck anyway

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, misterBee said:

It has come to my attention that Kano is now not only good, but popular as well.

...as a fighting game character hipster and low tier warrior that means I can no longer use him. 😩

Time to find a new main...

Dude’s like top 10 and I fight him almost every few matches lol. It is rare for me to beat him though.... My KL record is pretty crap anyway, but I’m sure my winrate against kano is lower than average. You’d be a beast with him.

Edited by Mattatsu
2 hours ago, misterBee said:

It has come to my attention that Kano is now not only good, but popular as well.

...as a fighting game character hipster and low tier warrior that means I can no longer use him. 😩

Fuckin' preach. I'll never be able to shake that part of my brain that nudges me away from popular characters.

I've heard tell Shao Kahn is guarding the bottom of the barrel, and probably isn't very popular. Robocop is supposed to be down there too and has a command grab. You can switch from criminal to paragon of the law. 😉 

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Dude’s like top 10 and I fight him almost every few matches lol. It is rare for me to beat him though.... My KL record is pretty crap anyway, but I’m sure my winrate against kano is lower than average. You’d be a beast with him.

I don’t like using popular characters because everybody knows the matchup and mirror matches become way more common. Also in MK11 depending on how polarized your characters matchups are certain characters are basically guaranteed to get counter picked. When I first played this game closer to launch probably the biggest reason I stopped using Jade was the near constant Scorpion counter picks. 

Also after last night my KL record is probably barely over 500. Lost 4 out of the 5 matches i played. Lost to a pretty good Johnny Cage who beat me using like 4 tools,  then beat the next guy who also picked Johnny but wasn’t nearly as good and lost to my fresh matchup experience lol. After that I was winning against a Baraka until last round he tagged me with a KB into Fatal Blow 500 damage combo and I never recovered mentally. Lost to wifi Erron Black running slide/overhead mix and a really clean rain abusing backdashes into pokes. He totally destroyed me and I called it a night. 

Edited by Vhozite
5 hours ago, misterBee said:

I'm not making another gif dammit. You are going to play Kano and like it 🤣

Am I the only ones here that likes mirror matches? I love that we’re fairly evenly matched and i usually walk away with a better understanding for my character. Heck, yesterday I had a Mileena mirror and the opponent was particularly brutal on my wakeup, doing things i hadn’t thought of, and i took that into the next set and won.

i wouldn’t want every match to be a mirror of course, but they usually are my favourite ones.

2 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

I've heard tell Shao Kahn is guarding the bottom of the barrel, and probably isn't very popular. Robocop is supposed to be down there too and has a command grab. You can switch from criminal to paragon of the law. 😉 

Robocop is surprisingly popular. I try to run at least 5 KL sets a day (mostly for the daily rewards), and I believe I usually run into one a day, or maybe every other day.

Shao Kahn is rare though. I think I’ve only ever ran into him twice. It’s a shame because he’s fun as hell and the sound fx of that sledge hammer is insanely satisfying. I’d probably main him if I had an easier time with him, but I’m also a sucker for cheaper/easier characters, and he lacks some of the tools i like.

Edited by Mattatsu
19 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Am I the only ones here that likes mirror matches? 

Yes you are you fucking weirdo. 😝

I think its not uncommon. Hell I think practically you should be okay-ish with mirrors as with most FGs the top can get narrow so if you aren't a low tier hero odds are pretty good you'll be running into mirrors.

Theoretically I really enjoy the asynchronous aspects of FG characters. I enjoy seeing how the tools clash and how the players work with the match up. Plus I just really like seeing character variance. 

Practically that asynchronousity that I enjoy so much can also make the games feel miserable when you run into shitty match ups. And none of it really matters when you're in the match; playing a mirror is still playing the game which can/should be fun enough. 

And fuck, Mileena has two new skin shaders in the store for another 700 crystals. I had like 5k in crystals before ultimate dropped, and I’ll be just able to afford this after 5 KL sets tonight, but this shit is killing me. I really don’t have the time to play, but I know if I miss these, it’ll be like 6 months before they come back to the store again. She has two more skins after this and I need a few weeks to catch up lol, and I’m sure they’ll appear in the store in two days. I’m too much of a sucker for this shit.

Fight the FOMO man, that is how they getcha. This game does a really good (bad) job of leveraging that what with dangling stuff in your face then rotating it out.

I used to care but now I have 1 costume I like for each char I plan to play and if I happen to dickfumble into unlocking more, neato.

Though at least it is keeping you engaged with KL which is something. 

23 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I used to care but now I have 1 costume I like for each char I plan to play and if I happen to dickfumble into unlocking more, neato.

That was my mindset since launch until mileena came out. Idk what it is but i love this character. Her personality/design is wicked and I really dig it. I have 4 different variations that all have the same abilities, but look completely different and I change between looks every few sets....

i think i have a problem lol

3 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Am I the only ones here that likes mirror matches?

I don’t like mirrors because generally speaking we are both playing at the same range trying to do the same things. The match becomes 90% player vs player, which is more skillful but also more boring since there isn’t any special matchup knowledge being applied. 

@KingTubbnot that I’m aware. The character tutorials may have one or two basic dial combos and that’s it. 

10 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Alright I have a new main.

Who's gonna help me test? 😎

Why does this feel like you’re looking for medical trial volunteers without paying them? 🤣

I am probably too busy this week to play decent sets, and I owe Dayaan games in 3S on Friday, but I can play you after that, either late Friday night or on the weekend

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Someone always had to be the first one up out of the trenches, charging the enemy line.

As someone in this metaphor who is a few rows back from you, I salute your bravery and hope you are gravely wounded instead of blown to bits. Best one can hope for running headlong into doom like that. ☠️

I’m really curious who is pick is, but i think I’d rather find out on the character select screen, followed by an “oh fuck...”

Played Kitana again and forgot how much better she is in neutral, and holy shit her damage is crazy - I forgot how easy she got KBs. It’s like, very hard for me not to get at least 3 KBs in a match with Kitana. With mileena, it’s a miracle if I get 2. Plus with Mileena, I feel like I’m always starving for meter and she’s handicapped when it’s empty. Mileena is definitely better at very close range though, and probably from far.

I think I’m just going to keep bouncing between the two of them depending on matchups/mood.

Edited by Mattatsu

That is a completely new one to me. I remember one FG that had you build out your character with moves but I also remember it being terrible. Maybe it was an N64 game? It was around that era.

I still want to get back in and fuddle around with move choices for Cassie. I just kinda grab bagged favorites with her but I could probably come up with something I legit like after fucking with it for a bit.

My guess is D'Vorah (or however you spell it; she is super weird to me because I work with someone with that name and she is almost totally not a bug woman).

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Gotta give props to MK11 because picking a main was super easy. 

I still haven't given spawn enough time, maybe I'll hit the lab with him tonight...

But honestly I haven't given this whole game enough time. My Sheeva is some scrubby ass shit 

If you’re not picking that Dragon Stance with her, you’re doing it wrong lol. Check out Rooflemonger’s video if you haven’t already.

also, Spawn is apparently really good with customs. I’ve been meaning to give him a shot too. He looks fun.

5 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

If you’re not picking that Dragon Stance with her

I actually have no idea... 

I just run tournament variation 2? I start getting the brain fog when I'm trying to build a custom loadout. 

I need to sit down with a few brews and just try it out. Or have one of y'all talk me through what the hell is going on. 

7 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I’ve been meaning to give him a shot too. He looks fun.

Spawn mirrors in our future? 

30 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I hope not lol. D’Vorah wrecks my shit lol.

Lets be real: even a pick like Mokap would probably be really painful if that goofy motherfucker was in this game.

Vhozite's Kung Lao guess is a good one too. I was trying to come up with someone that you never see/hear about but then if you never see/hear about them I probably am not going to remember them to guess. 🙂

5 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

f you're gonna go evil might as well just dive right in and fist the devil.

Truer words have never been spoken. 

I'm starting to realize that my caveman brain can only handle 3 or 4 moves. 3S Chun is my favorite FG character of all time cause you only need 3 moves. I play ST Honda with 2 buttons. 

Now sheeva only needs like 2 buttons to be a threat. Christmas came early 

Edited by KingTubb

Honestly that is a great approach.

There is so much to learn with any FG that the more you can narrow your focus the more you'll be able to actually take in the things that will pay off long term like getting used to systems, learning spacings and rhythms, paying attention to match up stuff, and so on. 

It can be really tempting to get sucked into the training mode vortex and learn a bunch of stuff at once but that is just as likely to lead to brain lock when it comes time to make decisions. What works way better is finding 2-3 options that seem good (or are verified good) and just focus on applying those over and over, rotating for variance. 

Sajam talks a lot about that in his videos where he goes over learning a new game. And while he not exactly FGC Socrates I think it is very good advice in a broad sense. Though I'm probably projecting a bit: I'm a classic example of a guy who will sequester himself in training mode for a long time learning everything about a character, not actually play for forever, then play and everything falls apart anyways because even with all that technical knowledge I had fuck all of a game plan. 

One of my biggest goals moving forward with FGs is to just play the goddamn game. 

22 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

And while he not exactly FGC Socrates I think it is very good advice in a broad sense.

I had so many people tell me this at my locals when it came to tekken. Find 2 or three tools and one or 2 launcher combos. The rest can come later. 

24 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

One of my biggest goals moving forward with FGs is to just play the goddamn game.

Word. It's crazy how much better at FGs I am now than I was a year ago. I've always took the "fuck it, lets play" approach. 

You get your assed handed to you in a crown royal bag a lot, but eventually you start just picking up on stuff, seeing patterns, and everything slows down. 

But the fuck am I talking about, I've only been playing fighting games for less than 2 years, y'all already know this lol

3 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I had so many people tell me this at my locals when it came to tekken. Find 2 or three tools and one or 2 launcher combos. The rest can come later. 

Word. It's crazy how much better at FGs I am now than I was a year ago. I've always took the "fuck it, lets play" approach. 

You get your assed handed to you in a crown royal bag a lot, but eventually you start just picking up on stuff, seeing patterns, and everything slows down. 

But the fuck am I talking about, I've only been playing fighting games for less than 2 years, y'all already know this lol

Yeah Tekken is like the ur-example. The game seems like an insurmountable wall if you look at everything you think you need to know. But the reality of actually playing Tekken is a lot easier than that (and quite fun, if you aren't Darc 😝). 

The mantra I used to tell myself when I was trying to get better at SFV was "you don't get better by not playing". Lab time is great - if you know what you're actually practicing and practicing it well, and not just noodling around - but its never a substitute for getting in the dirt and rolling around. In the right format you can basically live-lab stuff, which helps to really carve the lesson into your brain. 

What you describe is part of the magic of FGs: being able to really see/feel the progress you are making. At one point I went back and looked at the first couple of matches I ever played of SFV and it was wild to be able to actually see the difference (legit one of the best things about CFN).