Stage Select

The NRS Thread

Played some offline sets yesterday, then some online sets today using D'Vorah and Subsington.

D'Vorah is pretty exciting and I seem to be picking her up quickly, but she lacks a lot of useful things. Even so I don't really mind but it would be nice to have more than one KB on my build that isn't the uppercut lol.

Subs is Subs, doing Subs things. He freezes, he slides, he overheads. He's a good boy. During a crisis of faith about continuing to use him I did get two Meteor Towers in a row with White Ranger Subs and I guess Revenant Subs, so I'll take it as a sign to keep him around.

10 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Shit like this kills me lol. You chop off every limb in the game a dozen ways and literally smack people to the white meat but bad words in the variation names isn’t acceptable. Literally what is the logic? 🤣

NRS is weird as hell man. They have NC-17 levels of violence but want to make everything else PG.....WTF 🤔

Just got my first uppercut brutal on someone lol. I had no idea it was coming but Jesus was it satisfying. He was spamming d1 d1 throw and for some reason there was a lag spike when he did it some I could never take my turn. Last round I just played the online meta and ducked it...sent his jaw into orbit. 

I’m disappointed Frost didn’t say her “downloaded”  quip. Would’ve been perfect. 

18 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Really need to just sit down with someone for an hour or 2 and play some casuals, just to feel out the character select a little bit 

What I did (do) was pick every character I like visually and play them long enough to finish their first character tower. Gives me just enough time to get an idea of what they do and gives me a reason to play them for a while with committing for life lol. I main Frost and she was like 4th/5th of my list but I love her gameplay.

8 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Just got my first uppercut brutal on someone lol. I had no idea it was coming but Jesus was it satisfying. He was spamming d1 d1 throw and for some reason there was a lag spike when he did it some I could never take my turn. Last round I just played the online meta and ducked it...sent his jaw into orbit. 

I’m disappointed Frost didn’t say her “downloaded”  quip. Would’ve been perfect. 

Weird, I fish for brutals online all the time. Recent favorite is Robocop's back throw brutal. 

I basically time how long until they quit out as he keeps shooting their character. Also most people suck online Martin it isn't difficult to look good in MK.

23 hours ago, AYO?! said:

Weird, I fish for brutals online all the time. Recent favorite is Robocop's back throw brutal. 

I basically time how long until they quit out as he keeps shooting their character. Also most people suck online Martin it isn't difficult to look good in MK.

Oh yeah I fish for Brutalities too, but usually not the universal d2 one. Pretty sure that one requires you not to block an attack for the whole round. 

For Frost specifically, I get her dive kick brutal the most. Landing it thrice a round is easy, let alone 3 times in a match lol. Throw brutals are usually pretty easy to get too but every now and then I run into someone who knows I’m gunning for it and suddenly they tech everything grab and I gotta just finish them off lol

On 2/4/2021 at 4:56 PM, M A R T I A N said:

I think I'll do just that. You know, instead of making broken AI Loadouts and letting them beat the towers for me like I normally do 

No no I let AIs play my towers directly. I play the characters to farm the requirements though (land x fatalities, x uppercuts, x fatal blows, etc). It’s an incentive to play them even if a lot of them are easy and probably could be done by an AI. The only reqs you definitely have to farm yourself are the brutalities and fatal blows. 

Wow Kabal is fucking insane. I already knew he was strong but his custom options are nutty. Dude has restands all over the place and Slight gas turns him into upgraded Jacqui light. Amped gas cloud has like half a dozen different applications too it’s hilarious.

I’m really surprised this character isn’t more common. Pretty I’ve only fought one online on PC. He was way more common on PS4 closer to launch. 

Double post but who cares...

Just look at the damage on these sub-optimal combos. Note that for the first combo if they try to breakaway it does 27% instead of 22%, and that's without the easily confirmable KB.

https://imgur.com/a/a747nhX

Kabal has been good but people are sleeping on him for sure. He's super well-rounded, though probably not my cup of tea (like Jacqui).

Edited by Vhozite
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Play what you love brother. 👍

Who you playing in MK11 these days?

Went back to Kitana when I got back into the game. Mileena has some fun/fluid combos but I don’t like her neutral. Kitana is basically the opposite, but I love her neutral and she has a fun corner combo

22 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Went back to Kitana when I got back into the game. Mileena has some fun/fluid combos but I don’t like her neutral. Kitana is basically the opposite, but I love her neutral and she has a fun corner combo

Amusingly that is also why I like Ram in Strive 😄

Its been so long since we played, I was trying to remember who you played. I was pretty sure it was Kitana. You playing online when you fire it up?

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Amusingly that is also why I like Ram in Strive 😄

Its been so long since we played, I was trying to remember who you played. I was pretty sure it was Kitana. You playing online when you fire it up?

It has been a long time since we’ve played! Tbh, I haven’t been playing FGs all that much lately - mostly have kept myself busy with other things.

I am playing MK nearly every day now though and usually hop online when I do. I mostly play casual matches unless there’s some reward in Kombat League I really want, which happens to be the case now.

I do find the game somewhat mentally taxing though. I can usually play about 5-6 sets before I start losing to things I shouldn’t. I don’t really know why that is lol, it’s not due to frustration like other FGs. I do find it easier to predict my opponent in this game than most others, so perhaps I’m putting more mental energy to that. Idk, but anyways, I’m having fun.

Edited by Mattatsu
2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

It has been a long time since we’ve played! Tbh, I haven’t been playing FGs all that much lately - mostly have kept myself busy with other things.

Yeah MK11 was forever ago. I think the last time we played anything was Strive and that was near launch?

Life happens. I've been in the FG cooler for a good couple of months myself. Stressful times at work and (I think you've said something to this effect before) FGs aren't a great "cool off" game so after a 9-12 hour day I just crashed on whatever else I felt like doing.

5-6 sets isn't too bad for a run. One thing that kinda gets glossed over with FGs is the mental tax of playing them, especially like you said when you're really focusing on what is going on. I can immediately feel when my focus starts to drop and that is when matches also start to tank. I'm good for like an hour max anymore.

So long as you're having fun, that is the important part. I still have MK11 installed on my PS4 I think so maybe we could fire that up sometime. I think I remember one Skarlet combo. 😉 

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah MK11 was forever ago. I think the last time we played anything was Strive and that was near launch?

Life happens. I've been in the FG cooler for a good couple of months myself. Stressful times at work and (I think you've said something to this effect before) FGs aren't a great "cool off" game so after a 9-12 hour day I just crashed on whatever else I felt like doing.

5-6 sets isn't too bad for a run. One thing that kinda gets glossed over with FGs is the mental tax of playing them, especially like you said when you're really focusing on what is going on. I can immediately feel when my focus starts to drop and that is when matches also start to tank. I'm good for like an hour max anymore.

So long as you're having fun, that is the important part. I still have MK11 installed on my PS4 I think so maybe we could fire that up sometime. I think I remember one Skarlet combo. 😉 

Sounds good! I’m down to play whenever.

Also, I can play Strive as well. I had some minor issues with the game, but nothing that would stop me from booting it up to play friends. The new patch looks pretty hype as well.

Finally, regarding FGs on weeknights, I realized SFV was the main one I couldn’t play. Way too stressful to me, and I can’t seem to have fun in the training mode or any other single player mode, whereas I usually can in most other FGs. I may even boot up a open-ended combo game (MVCI, MKXL, etc) and just have fun trying to make up some combos without any intention of hopping online (that night, or perhaps ever lol).

Yeah the latest Strive patch seems neat. Millia in particular seems zippy as all hell now. Hopefully we can line something up soon to play whatever. 🙂

And yeah I hear ya about weeknights. SFV has always pissed me off regardless of when I play it. Even then some nights its not worth potentially getting wound up so having something more meditative (like you said, MvC:I or something like that) can be really good to noodle with and just relax. I remember back in ye olde days I would just fire up something like MvC2 and fuck around for hours. I'm not sure if it is modern games or modern me but I don't feel that as much. Maybe something really crunchy like Skullgirls would be fun to mess with like that?

8 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Unless I’m playing someone from here weeknights are when I do most of my labbing. Get to play and learn with less stress.

Yeah, one thing I forgot that I absolutely hated about kombat league was the “play 5 sets a day for 10 different days” and “if you don’t play in 3 days, you lose points” bull shit. I’m extremely tired today from work and forced myself to play when I was way too tired and not in a good mood. I’m just going to get this Kitana skin and leave KL alone for good (thankfully, it’s the only skin remaining that I really want)

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2022 at 7:40 PM, Maravilla said:

Looking to play another fighter that's not SFV until sf6 comes out, was looking into mkx, how's the online? What I really want to know is if people still play this online? Can you still find matches? Thanks. 

I haven't played in awhile but the online is really good and last I knew it had a pretty decent online presence despite MK11 being out. It's a great game either way. I'm a long time MK fan and I think MKX is my favorite.

On 11/14/2022 at 3:13 PM, DoctaMario said:

Speaking of MKX, I ran through a Klassic tower this morning just on a whim, and I forgot how much I fucking love this game. Gonna have to get back on it because they did pretty much everything right imo.

It is such a better game than MK11 imo. I’ve been playing it a bit myself, but have a lot more playing/labbing to do.

you have it on PS4 or PC? I have it on both fwiw

19 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

It is such a better game than MK11 imo. I’ve been playing it a bit myself, but have a lot more playing/labbing to do.

you have it on PS4 or PC? I have it on both fwiw

I feel like a lot of the decisions they made for MK11 were in reaction to how block string and lockdown heavy MKX was.

I have it on PS4, and I'm not great, but I enjoy the game a lot.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, DoctaMario said:

I feel like a lot of the decisions they made for MK11 were in reaction to how block string and lockdown heavy MKX was.

I have it on PS4, and I'm not great, but I enjoy the game a lot.

Oh for sure. I agree that the next game after X should have been a bit less pressure/mix-up heavy, but they completely reinvented the wheel in 11 and made up new mechanics and things to completely shake up the formula when they were very close to getting it perfect (imo of course).

it seems like we are a few weeks away from an MK12 reveal though, so hopefully they bounce back closer to the MKX/9 side of things

15 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Oh for sure. I agree that the next game after X should have been a bit less pressure/mix-up heavy, but they completely reinvented the wheel in 11 and made up new mechanics and things to completely shake up the formula when they were very close to getting it perfect (imo of course).

it seems like we are a few weeks away from an MK12 reveal though, so hopefully they bounce back closer to the MKX/9 side of things

I think if they combined the speed and combo mechanics of X with some of the defensive mechanics of 11 you'd have the perfect game. 11 is a good game and I enjoy it, but X is the one for me. I love games that have good resource management, and X is definitely one of those games what with how you have to choose whether to save meter for a breaker, an Ex move, or burn it all with an X-ray and pray you don't get caught slipping. 11 feels a little less immediate in that way because your defensive and offensive meters just refill without you having to do anything other than wait. But with that said, they did a lot of things right in 11 where the combat is concerned and I wouldn't mind seeing some of those things like that come back.

I hope MK12 is a little more like X too. I like the customization in 11 but the characters feel somewhat bare bones and I remember having to set up the character variations myself which was kind of wacky. Either way, I'm curious to see where they'll go with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 6:38 AM, Jion_Wansu said:

They have this barcade called Dorky's close to where I'm at. They have an original Mortal Kombat cab and a small Mortal Kombat II cab. When I played it in September and October, I was a little shocked that it was 30 years ago when I first played on a Mortal Kombat cab. Damn, those 30 years went by fast!!!

I still remember the very first game I played of MK1. It was on a cab, I was player 2 and playing against this guy who I somehow beat despite it only being my first game. Still remember the guy's face and how blown away he was when I hit him with Cage's fatality. Can't believe that was 30 years ago