Stage Select

The NRS Thread

Yeah, I was expecting non-tournament abilities to be adjusted but what I see from up-fans is pretty crazy considering it wasn’t really strong to begin with imo. I was honestly worried Kitana wouldn’t be able to keep up with a bunch of the other custom abilities I’ve messed around with, or even just taking bits from various tournament variations and mixing them into one.

then again, I’m very much looking at this in a vacuum... I don’t know what of Sindel’s was nerfed as well, for example. I’m also focusing on up-fans more than I probably should because it was a new tool I just started messing with. I’ll need to see the full patch notes before I freak out too much lol

My very rough understanding is yeah that is how it works. There are very few things that can actually link together in MK11 so far as I know - the only one I know of off the top of my head is Cassie's MB orb zap into B+1, 3 - so most of it is just putting your opponent in situations where they can't do anything. 

Like if you are +13 your opponent's options for how to wiggle are pretty constrained.

I'm an MK noob though. And not even the cool wraith kind.

11 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Hope everything works out. 

No better time to turn pro. 😉

Test came back negative, so I'm hoping to get back to work tomorrow. And I've got old man hands at 28, there's no way I could physically support a pro-fighting game career. 

Seriously, I'm gonna have lobster claws by 35😩

But I'm going to try to boot up and lab today as much as possible, cause I have jack shit to do at home. Really hoping Rambo gels with me. Sheeva is cool, but the fact that she doesn't have a real command grab irks me. 

11 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I dont understand NRS’s frame data at all. Kitana’s edenian razors are +19 of hit, yet the opponent can block a follow up 13f startup attack? What’s the point of being so plus? Just so you can walk up and pressure them?

NRS frame data works goofy. It isn't actual hitstun, it means you're locked out of certain actions. So they are locked out of moving and other stuff but they can still block and tech:

41 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Test came back negative, so I'm hoping to get back to work tomorrow. And I've got old man hands at 28, there's no way I could physically support a pro-fighting game career. 

Seriously, I'm gonna have lobster claws by 35😩

But I'm going to try to boot up and lab today as much as possible, cause I have jack shit to do at home. Really hoping Rambo gels with me. Sheeva is cool, but the fact that she doesn't have a real command grab irks me. 

Look man if I can still keep at this at 38 after a decade of typing and carpal tunnel, you can at least be a low tier Twitch personality. I believe. 

Rambo definitely looks sweet. Especially with the variations being opened up you should be able to find something with him.

I only bought the KP because I'm a tool. I'm probably not getting off the Cassie/Skarlet train anytime soon.

Also the character select screen is lopsided right? Can we get one more char to balance that thing out? The lack of symmetry makes my eye twitch. 

21 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

@Vhozite they nerfed up-fans. I could get a few different follow-ups off of it on Friday, but now i can just get a standing 1 and the timing and spacing is tight. I can only follow-up that standing 1 with ground fans or grounded square wave... and i get more damage with my BNB without up-fans. I don’t see any reason to use it now.

i think half-blood stance was nerfed too lol. They don't want kitana to be good.

Thanks for the heads up. Don’t know if I’ll be able to get my hands on it today. Are there any patch notes?

50 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Can we get one more char to balance that thing out?

Hmmm... I’d want a guest character cause I don’t know anything about MK legacy characters. 

Nathan Explosion would be a good fit. They’re running out of “edge” characters to put in MK. 

Snake Plissken? 

Ash would be dope, actually. I know that’s the rumor. But having another white guy with a gun as a guest character is kinda lame.

sad Hellboy was in injustice 2.  

Wasn't there a datamine awhile ago that had entries for Daegon and his brother? Whatever their names were.

I'd be on board with deep cut goofy pulls like that. The general MK11 resdesigns are interesting so I'd always be up for seeing whomever else could pass through the filter.

If MK wants to do more stunt casting they have a lot of random shit they could still draw on. However they also probably don't want to tap out too much; gotta have some ideas left for MK12.

Depends on how deep you wanna go.

Pinhead is close to the surface.

Tall Man is a choice (great movies, weirder FG char).

Pumpkinhead is a neat monster.

Maniac Cop gets you that sweet rap song on the soundtrack.

Horror movies are kind of boundless that way due to how fandom works.

For action movie chars there is only one place they can go now. The ur-Stallone action character:

Marion Cobretti

5 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Also the character select screen is lopsided right? Can we get one more char to balance that thing out? The lack of symmetry makes my eye twitch. 

Its been rumored and datamined that there will be 5 more characters to make the select screen a perfect rectangle... no clue who they are, but i’m hoping for cyrax, sektor, and havik to be in there.

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Ash has been rumored for a long time now. He and Pinhead would be last big horror gets I would think. 

I heard hat Ash has licensing issues preventing him from coming in... Could be a bunch of BS, but thats what i heard. Robocop took his place though, so not sure if they're just delaying him or what.

38 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Lord almighty, this update is 10 gbs?? 

I’m tired of these giant ass games man. I have to delete stuff every week to make more room for these bloated fighting games 

Tbh, i think a lot of it are updated versions of existing files that will be overridden. I doubt the game file size is an extra 10 GBs after its done.

I remember there was a ‘story’ leak right before the latest three dropped. It was deleted quick but but Havik, Daegon, and I believe Tavon were seen a lot in it. Only reason I’m even considering it to be real is because it stated that Mileena was able to perfectly imitate Kitana’s voice and deceive people, something that hasn’t been shown at all until her MK11 intros.

But since it’s a ‘leak’, it could just be some fanfiction.

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I just noticed some jank in this game and I am not a fan. 

You can press a button, then put the special inputs AFTER and get both moves. 

I don’t know if this is just normal MK stuff or not, but it’s stupid and wrong. 

Do you have “Release Check” on in the controller options? It may also be tied to a long “inout window timing” setting. I am kinda confused about what you’re seeing though. how are both moves coming out? Does the button come out and then cancel into the special?

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

NRS seems to want some characters to be higher on the tier list. I don't think they’re striving for perfect balance on purpose

Yeah, it's absurd that you can build a Geras with Quicksand, Sand Simulacrum and Bed of Spikes. At least one of those should take up 2 slots if they're not going to nerf them.

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

I just noticed some jank in this game and I am not a fan. 

You can press a button, then put the special inputs AFTER and get both moves. 

I don’t know if this is just normal MK stuff or not, but it’s stupid and wrong. 

There is a special input leniency option that gives you a bigger input buffer -- you can choose to turn it off.  I think there is also a negative edge option that you can disable.

Turning both of those off should make inputs tighter and get rid of the issue.

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Does the button come out and then cancel into the special?

Exactly, only on hit or block. It really messes some stuff up. Like let’s say an easy hit confirm combo to a special is 1,2,2 down back 4. If the character also has a move that’s down back 2, then it will come out as soon as I press down, back. 

it takes away the special move I want and does the one it thinks I’m trying to do. It’s not a tight window either, I’d say you have 8-12 frames AFTER you press a button to put your directions in to make it cancel into a special (it has to be the same button, of course). 

I’ll play with the settings and see if it helps. 

2 hours ago, misterBee said:

The world of PCs with cheap and abundant SSDs welcomes you!

Whats Up Hello GIF by Make it Move

I'd say the bigger issue is internet connection for most people.  US internet infrastructure/pricing is abysmal.

I have no idea what you are talking about *looks at his laptop with 4GBs of SSD storage and he desktop with another 4GBs of SSD storage* 👀

edit: We need a whistling smiley face emoji. PS37P8v.gif

I didn't think Klot was likely to make the cut. No way Core Trap was.

Those just seemed like abilities that would get screamed about and I figure the devs don't want to hear that shit. Easier to just ban it.

The real wiener whacker are that some specific combos of moves are banned. That I didn't know about and I'd be a little salty if a combo I was excited about got clipped that way.

51 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

lol like 70% of the roster with nothing but universal crouching attack nerfs

I'm glad they nerfed them. They are annoying as fuck and too many people use those attacks as a crutch. The buff to hop attacks will make it easier to shut that shit down. 

27 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Jesus Christ Killer Klot (Skarlet) and Core Trap (Frost) are banned get the fuck out of here

Core trap is ridiculously broken. The way it currently works there's no way for anyone to escape it and Frost can do it indefinitely if she manages her meter right. 

59 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Exactly, only on hit or block. It really messes some stuff up. Like let’s say an easy hit confirm combo to a special is 1,2,2 down back 4. If the character also has a move that’s down back 2, then it will come out as soon as I press down, back. 

it takes away the special move I want and does the one it thinks I’m trying to do. It’s not a tight window either, I’d say you have 8-12 frames AFTER you press a button to put your directions in to make it cancel into a special (it has to be the same button, of course). 

I’ll play with the settings and see if it helps. 

Yeah, try turning off the release check (ie, negative edge) setting. I don’t think i’ve ever had that happen, though i have noticed it if you mash buttons (ie, in your example of 122 DB4 above, doing 1222 DB4 instead).

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

...Up Fans gutted preemptively in a patch and a token buff to the useless garbage that is Edenian Fade. 

To be honest, i think i’m swapping from Kitana. I kinda figured this would happen anyway as pre-customs i couldn't find much else i liked for her, except up-fans and half-blood stance. Half-Blood Stance became wack to me when Mileena got announced (I just don't like someone doing moves that belong to someone else) and with the up-fans nerf, it is harder to land them midscreen, and the options have been restricted. that combo i posted is hard af for me to do consistently... Dont get me wrong, she gets better combos and it helps her corner damage immensely, but at the end of the day, she still struggles in zoning matchups, which half-blood stance would’ve help with, but again...

And i can’t believe i’m saying this, but i may be a Mileena main. I really like her kit. I think her neutral buttons and strings arent great (or rather the range on some of them aren’t), but she still has some decent ranged buttons and her dashes are really quick and with being able to cancel dashes into buttons at any time, it may help her neutral. I think it will take time really knowing her ranges (and my opponent’s) to be effective with her, but her kit has basically every tool I could ask for, and no filler.

i do need to lab Sindel though because i have a mean custom with her, and was thinking of swapping to her before i tried out Mileena.

edit: no, it’ll be Mileena. I think Sindel has better neutral, but I think Mileena just suits my playstyle better (better rushdown and mixups).

Edited by Mattatsu
3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm glad they nerfed them. They are annoying as fuck and too many people use those attacks as a crutch. The buff to hop attacks will make it easier to shut that shit down. 

Core trap is ridiculously broken. The way it currently works there's no way for anyone to escape it and Frost can do it indefinitely if she manages her meter right. 

I wasn’t complaining about the crouch attack changes. Even when I was playing D1 spam ruined the game and was way too strong for how hard it was to blow up. 

Yeah core trap is pretty busted. Im annoyed because it’s a cool move and they made zero effort to fix it. Just ban it and move on.

This has been their whole approach with variations since day 1 and it’s wack as fuck. It’s always been limiting options and variations that are just bad moves with something good for “balance”. Then when they finally lets us mix it up they just ban all the best moves and leave the trash shit as is  because again, they can’t be assed to actually balance their moves. 

Im tryna ruin someone’s day not play around with these build a bear load outs they stay tryna force down my throat. 

Anyone trying out Mileena, try her Play Time ability. The description just says something like expanding her strings, but it gives combo-able and true throw enders to three of her basic strings (11, F23, and F43), but the throw on F43 can amplified to re-stand the opponent at +20, and also allows the F43 string to be special cancellable, which it isn't otherwise.

i also have her command grab and low sais equipped and she’s a beast.

Edited by Mattatsu