Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

51 minutes ago, Daemos said:

I think Lily's stock mechanic is just bad... Like early SF5 Juri bad.

Also I'm not a fan of her bimbo/clumsy demeanor. She could've been a more serious character like Ma-Ti from Captain Planet if that is what they were going for. A lot of Gen Zers are serious about the environment for example and Lily could've captured that essence. Being young and small doesn't necessarily mean being dumb. We already have a young mystic who is clumsy in the form of Menat.

Definitely the weakest of the new characters.

The idea behind Lily is cute girl doing cute things. She's a character for the kawaii culture. I wouldn't have an issue with this if she didn't act like an actual child.

The wind sticks are incredibly easy to get. It hasn't been an issue for me when I play her online

4 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Lily I will agree with but in my friends circles of non-SF people Luke has been very popular for his fighting style, look an easy-going personality.

Agreed.  Luke seems to be pretty well liked by anyone that didn't play SF5.  Which is a lot of the people playing SF6.

3 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Depends where you look, I'm seeing people like Lily and a ton of people love Luke now. I don't think anyone's failed this time around, surprisingly.

There's not a single dumb freak in SF6's newcomers.  It's pretty great.

I'm not the BIGGEST fan of the "next gen" characters like Kimberly and Lily, but they're not terrible.  I just think, instead of trying to make a younger, cooler replacement for an old character...just make the old character cooler instead.

Kimberly especially bothers me.  We already HAD a younger, hipper, girl version of Guy!  Maki!

Edited by DarthEnderX
15 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Kimberly especially bothers me.  We already HAD a younger, hipper, girl version of Guy!  Maki!

They wanted Diversity Guy not Girl Guy.

16 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

just make the old character cooler instead.

I agree with this. SF has so many characters in the universe now once you include Rival Schools and FF, bringing them back to fill the "new character slots" would work just as well in some cases.

Maki isn't that much  younger than Guy. We are talking a Ryu to Chun Li level difference. He's engaged, did they ever get married, to her older sister Rena. I wouldn't mind seeing Maki again as long as we got the real Maki. Not that watered US Localized version. The "I'm leader of a biker gang and I won't hesitate to give you these hands Maki" from the original Japanese Final Fight 2. At least they gave us the real Maki in CvS2. 

49 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

I'm not the BIGGEST fan of the "next gen" characters like Kimberly and Lily, but they're not terrible.  I just think, instead of trying to make a younger, cooler replacement for an old character...just make the old character cooler instead.

Making the old character cooler isn't the way to go if the intend is to represent something new or modern. Do you think a character like Jamie would work out if they the team dusted off Lee from SF1 instead?

18 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Making the old character cooler isn't the way to go if the intend is to represent something new or modern. Do you think a character like Jamie would work out if they the team dusted off Lee from SF1 instead?

Not necessarily, but how much dance should the game have? Dee Jay, Kimberly, and Manon all have a lot of dance influences. Did Jamie have to have it too? Lee would've been really cool I think and he would've practically been a new character.

(I really like Jamie btw)

3 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Not necessarily, but how much dance should the game have? Dee Jay, Kimberly, and Manon all have a lot of dance influences. Did Jamie have to have it too? Lee would've been really cool I think and he would've practically been a new character.

(I really like Jamie btw)

The dances that Jamie, and Manon do are completely different. Break dancing and ballet are visually different and requires it's own set of skills. If the developers wanted to add someone who was a ballroom dancers I wouldn't oppose it lol.

Kimberly is more inspired by graffiti and that part of street culture than any dance. The idle animation from her level 3 buff is the only dancing she does.

I'm just saying there is a lot of dancing in the base roster to the point where I wouldn't think twice if we replaced some of it with more serious fighters. One thing I can say about the base roster is that it needed more edge. 

The "street" can be dangerous too. Not sure if AKI and Akuma can solve this in year 1.

Some random funny things

Kalima's bracelet wink hard to the one the girl give to Ryu in SF2V anime, you wear it also on same wrist

-timestamped-

The statue of Nayshall have a round hole on the chest, very similar to SF4 Evil Ryu

https://i.ibb.co/BLt2kHD/nayshall.jpg

Ending for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition-Evil Ryu(Arcade)

Kimberly at some point for no reason tell us the story of a Ninja that beated her up

We can't see clearly his face but we can see he's a man with dark hair and moustache/beard, not sure 100% as was doing other stuff too, but think she called him GOU

Now, i know only a GOU in SF world and he may even match the illustration (i'm on SF6 gallery as i'm writing, it's "Kimberly Memory 2" ilustration), except he should not be alive lol

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column-112431?lang=en

In the illustration he's dressed kinda like a Bushinryu member

Wonder if capcom is thinking to pull another Gouken lol 🤣

I'm mostly caught up. Thankfully youtube has everyone's full master interactions so I don't have to go through that.

First up, I'm glad that Capcom FINALLY released a game where I can have deep dives into the SF cast's lives both as it pertains to the larger canon and their own personal ambitions and rivalries that may not have been shown on screen but were implied in various other media. Making Juri and Viper partners like what happened with the Udon comics worked in how they presented it as a mutually beneficial relationship, particularly as it came to making money and mayhem. Fit both their characters well and gave Viper her snark back after she was becoming dangerous close to being "American Cammy" story wise.

All of the Final Fight and really "urban aesthetic" Capcom love is GREATLY appreciated, as well. If they're not going to do anything else with those IPs, having those characters in this setting where they can continue to develop and grow is a welcome consolation prize. I was particularly pleased with Damnd and Carlos.

Next up, the main plot. I am still thinking that JP was likely one of the red elite soldiers in Shadaloo by the time his tenure ended as Shadaloo's financial officer as that would have been his avenue to obtain Psycho Power, and then after Bison's death he was able to wield it unchecked to a point he could bestow it on others. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more clarity as characters like Ed and AKI come into play. 

On that topic, I think this game really spells out not just how Shadaloo stood the test of time as other antagonists were introduced like Gill and G yet, but how the Four Lords are just as much part of the World Warrior package as the "original 8" now. It is inevitable IMO that all 4 will return with Rog, Vega and Sagat hanging around adapting to their post-Shadaloo lives. Rog and/or Vega would likely be involved with Neo-Shadaloo or one of its many spinoffs while Sagat continues to stand waiting to challenge all who stand before him. Bison and Vega in particular remain two of Capcom's best non-waifu/shoto merch pushers in the SF franchise so it will be a matter of when, not if. I'll be ready because I've been maining at least one of the Four Lords since SFA1 and I'm at a loss where they're not here for the first time since 3S.

I'm still iffy on the cardboard box aesthetic as a whole, but I suppose it's Capcom's ideal of surrealism where the mysterious psycho power infused combatant has such an unassuming mask to his identity, as do the other various gang members of Metro City. Imagine if the Bloods or Crips identified themselves as such with boxes on their head rather than bandanas. Bosch is practically Kairi from the EX series with a deeper tan and Psycho Power PEDs instead of whatever SnH wannabe Arika settled on after it was originally stated (I think?) that SFEX Kairi succumbed to the Satsui no Hado after an encounter with Akuma and then it was implied he killed Akuma during his white-haired phase. The old SF Tiamat plot guide turned out to have a ton of fanon so I lost track of what's real and not real when it came to the SFEX series. All the same, Bosch reminds me a ton of Kairi both in that part and his basic color scheme, on top of his scarred Psycho Power-infused appearance and the bouts of dementia he suffers. 

Overall, it's nice to see the story finally, FINALLY move forward past the 3rd Strike holding pattern we've been stuck in for over 20 years! And I'm confident that we'll have clarification throughout SF6's life on not just the Four Lords, but what became of Gill and G. 

Edited by Psychoblue
20 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Depends where you look, I'm seeing people like Lily and a ton of people love Luke now. I don't think anyone's failed this time around, surprisingly.

Agree, surprisingly this SF(Sf6) has the best new comers next to SF5, and most of SF6 new comers aren't characters that i personally like to play with but it can't be denied the overwhelming acceptance that everyone likes and enjoy those new characters.

Kimberly seems fun to play with

Yet SF5 new comers were some are long existing background characters and NPC that everyone was hyped up since before to become finally playable 

Sf4 has the most bland new comers until Juri came

Btw not sure if already discussed, but WT confirm Lily is NOT T.Hawk's daughter 

Another funny thing is we learn bunch of stuff about Blanka uniqueness

-green color happened rubbing on vegetation/flowers iirc 

-electric attack confirmed to been learned from an incident with an electric eel, he now use it to fish too (guess hint he caught himself the huge brazilian fish we seen since SF2 days)

-learned rolling attacks watching armadillo

12 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

If they revamped him sufficiently, yes.  He was pretty much a blank canvas to work with.

Capcom had no difficulty turning Zeku into a cool guy, despite him being an old man.

Hell, even Retsu looks younger now than he did in SF1.

I don't think so. If the team wanted an ordinary drunken fist practitioner then sure Lee would have worked. Once they added the break dancing element to add spice to the tried and true it would be better to have a younger character. Break dancing is a young man game after all.

The thing with Zeku is he an eccentric old man trying to sell services to kickstart the SF version of Striders. He needed to be cool.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Once they added the break dancing element to add spice to the tried and true it would be better to have a younger character. Break dancing is a young man game after all.

I don't think the break dancing actually makes Jamie a better character.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

The thing with Zeku is he an eccentric old man trying to sell services to kickstart the SF version of Striders. He needed to be cool.

Yes, but that thing you just described, was new to his character for his inclusion to SF5.  They made him cool, by CREATING a reason for him to BE cool.

Which is my point.  You can make any lame character cool.  You just have to apply an ounce of creativity.

Edited by DarthEnderX
14 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

I don't think the break dancing actually makes Jamie a better character.

It makes him stand out from other characters that use the same style.

11 minutes ago, Daemos said:

There is absolutely nothing stopping them from making it so that when old man Lee got drunk, he was suddenly able to breakdance. Zeku and Oro already have the air of party animals. Lee could've had his own fun.

Oro is a pervert. I wouldn't want to party with him.

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

There is absolutely nothing stopping them from making it so that when old man Lee got drunk, he was suddenly able to breakdance. Zeku and Oro already have the air of party animals. Lee could've had his own fun.

likely they are just distancing away from alcohol

6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah I mentioned the Lily thing earlier. I wonder if they changed their minds about it because he camera having "Lily Hawk" on it makes no sense otherwise.

She and T.Hawk may still be same family being in same tribe... like cousins or something, may explain sharing same name

Or maybe in that tribe you don't need bloodline stuff to have same name

Only thing i remember is Lily considering Juli like a big sister

18 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

If they revamped him sufficiently, yes.  He was pretty much a blank canvas to work with.

Capcom had no difficulty turning Zeku into a cool guy, despite him being an old man.

Hell, even Retsu looks younger now than he did in SF1.

Thing is Jamie in my eyes is part of the marketing trio

Luke, Jamie and Kimberly imho are there both as characters and to fit some marketing slots

Old man Lee would not have worked as cool young char, if that's what they was looking for

Btw Jamie kung fu who does breakdance concept was a young guy when they thought about it the first time

It's not Lee who got robbed by Jamie 😄

AByxGDT_FN6asQ9AwzpryNyZ9L8IkWBLfXwkXxgi0DyM0eaarWvCNri4x2LLq5LPNFEUrj-uAwWB-xXNmNUk6HAiTdGtS2016kXjJDIMyTSzRWPGTzXpp_mECL5y=s0-d

RIP to this other young guy too

Gen's scrapped disciple 1 out of 2 image gallery

Edited by CESTUS III
25 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

She and T.Hawk may still be same family being in same tribe... like cousins or something, may explain sharing same name

Or maybe in that tribe you don't need bloodline stuff to have same name

Only thing i remember is Lily considering Juli like a big sister

Maybe it's a localization thing. The way it read is like she was close to them but completely unrelated. 

Lee is a bad choice because the common drunken master character is already an old guy in other video games so it would be just ANOTHER one of those kinds of guys and he wouldn't work well as a rival to Luke

Jamie accomplishes being different from other drunken masters in games and is the right age for complimenting Luke as a character. Lee has far less character appeal. There's a reason he was dropped after 1 and never came back.

3 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

it would be just ANOTHER one of those kinds of guys and he wouldn't work well as a rival to Luke

True, That's real the major issue here.

Even Luke to rival just Ryu already feels out of place. lookin back the previous trailer

Protagonist with Good Old man already  at first glance Master and Apprentice dynamic and it's hard to view it as a rivalry for two new faces  

Heihachi VS Kazuya is obvious because there are already build up from previous games and they are relatives.

Edited by Shakunetsu
6 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Lee is a bad choice because the common drunken master character is already an old guy in other video games so it would be just ANOTHER one of those kinds of guys and he wouldn't work well as a rival to Luke

Jamie accomplishes being different from other drunken masters in games and is the right age for complimenting Luke as a character. Lee has far less character appeal. There's a reason he was dropped after 1 and never came back.

That assumes they would just drop SF1 Lee into SF6 unchanged.

Lee has no issues that couldn't be fixed with a proper revamp.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:17 PM, HD-Man said:

Has Capcom spoken on if World Tour Mode is canon? Obviously your avatar is an outlier but in curious about the other stuff

They rarely do. But we can infer its canonicity sometimes by how the characters react to it.

Like JP does not react to you later for kicking his ass in the end but does react to Bosch’s attack. JP does react however to meeting you in the palace at night (in fact it is what alerted him to the bomb plot and how he survived).

So some interactions with your avatar in the main plot seem to have happened.

All the information revealed to you from your masters is canon as well arguably (not so much your direct interactions with them). It retroactively canonizes or decanonizes too.

Edited by Daemos
2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Im glad Retsu shows up in the game, wish he was actually playable tho. Neat seeing older, lesser used character pop up (Carlos was a welcome suprise too)

It's cool, but at same time wish they bothered bit more try to make these characters more unique

Like Retsu just have his unique special kick (and later can double it by adding Ryu's command kick) and stance, for the rest he's just 100% Ryu... if was up to me would have added some stuff, even recycled from other characters... like Chun Li stuff could have mixed well with Ryu moveset to make up a Shorinji Kempo char

But they just went lazy on that and much worse on many other NPCs (only Carlos is bit an exception)

Also wish they worked bit harder on general on the "powerful fighters" big side quest, many were kinda pathetic (generic Final Fight thugs as world class fighters? why lol), i think if they worked bit harder there the potential was pretty great... one thing i would also have liked would have been have to find them as sub-bosses also on Masters nations

I'm thinking a bit like Retsu at Ryu's place, but for everybody 😄

9 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

True, That's real the major issue here.

Even Luke to rival just Ryu already feels out of place. lookin back the previous trailer

Protagonist with Good Old man already  at first glance Master and Apprentice dynamic and it's hard to view it as a rivalry for two new faces  

Heihachi VS Kazuya is obvious because there are already build up from previous games and they are relatives.

I always felt that was purely for marketing. If they had Luke and Jamie up there people would have been like "WTF".  Luke was barely recognizable from his SFV design and no one would have known who Jamie was.

9 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

That assumes they would just drop SF1 Lee into SF6 unchanged.

Lee has no issues that couldn't be fixed with a proper revamp.

I mean except the fact that he's an old drunk Chinese man?

That's kind of impossible to change unless we think a revamp can include cutting his age by 2/3rds? 😄

7 hours ago, Daemos said:

Like JP does not react to you later for kicking his ass in the end

Here's the thing...

I don't think JP even tried when you fought him. I think the OC took a single attack at him and JP took a dive immediately. Remember, to the world watching JP is not a fighter and wouldn't openly use Psycho Power. So all he did was take a punch from a confused and angry competitor which just builds sympathy for JP and shows what a debacle was caused by those nasty rebels.

I'm telling  you, the dude is devious.

38 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

I mean except the fact that he's an old drunk Chinese man?

That's kind of impossible to change unless we think a revamp can include cutting his age by 2/3rds? 😄

*looks at SF1 Birdie, who was not a Black man*

I think a revamp can include whatever Capcom wants.

Not to mention, Alpha Retsu:

Dan&Retsu.png

Vs. SF6 Retsu:

Street Fighter 6 (Xbox Series X) REVIEW - Return of the King

Looks like he de-aged about 30 years...

Edited by DarthEnderX
24 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

Here's the thing...

I don't think JP even tried when you fought him. I think the OC took a single attack at him and JP took a dive immediately. Remember, to the world watching JP is not a fighter and wouldn't openly use Psycho Power. So all he did was take a punch from a confused and angry competitor which just builds sympathy for JP and shows what a debacle was caused by those nasty rebels.

I think you are on to something. He lays there, immediately opens, talks to you then, "passes out". JP is a...

family-guy-youre-a-big-fat-phony.gif

1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

Here's the thing...

I'm just saying the game could've put more effort into showing us what canonically happened between your Cac and JP at the end. We know that your Cac was there canonically, but the fight between them is weird.

If JP sandbagged so that the world would see him as a victim, the game didn't make it clear that his losing to you and his fall was part of a deception for an international audience. We didn't see or hear a reaction to the fight from other fighters (like "oh you're the guy who beat the cripple old man").

The entire arena actually seemed have been cleared out after the bomb so there would be few to no onlookers to see JP use PP.

JP's strength is indeed deception and manipulation and not fighting prowess. That was his instruction at the end of his mastery with your Cac after all. But we didn't see that in a more literal sense like that we spoke of it in the comic.

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

I wish their special moves were learnable by the CAC.

I also wish Lee, Joe and Geki would make appearances as well.

I posted a few pages back that Retsu and someone like Geki were in the finals of the Nayshall tournament and stood side by side with you and Bosch. So there is hope.

2 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Here's the thing...

As Master he also give you a speech about "victory" and how some people (but is implied, not him) are obsessed with it 

33 minutes ago, Daemos said:

The entire arena actually seemed have been cleared out after the bomb so there would be few to no onlookers to see JP use PP.

this is indeed correct, i think nobody else seen it 

6 minutes ago, Daemos said:

If/When Vega returns, having aged 10 years, do you guys think he would've gotten work done or is he aging gracefully?

I like to think he will look into methods to modify his own DNA and stay young, said many times for various reason him getting closer to Secret Society or Urien could make sense 

I usually dislike characters getting into lame scifi shit, but in Vega's case his character would justify try trascend humanity to stay young 

15 minutes ago, Daemos said:

This is a serious question, because Vega sticking by Bison was in part because he wanted eternal beauty.

Vega sticked with Bison, because he made him rich while asking to do psycopathic stuff and occasionally some spying lol 

Psycho Power is not the path for eternal beauty, in fact it age you faster and Vega know it well after all these years 

And indeed never got close to Psycho Power, none of the kings did

Actually Vega would benefit from SOUL Power, see how Rose (like Lisa Lisa) it's implied to be mich older than her look 

But i doubt he would be able to learn use SP, let alone Rose accepting teach him 

I think Urien's technology could be Vega's beat chance

2 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Vega sticked with Bison, because he made him rich while asking to do psycopathic stuff and occasionally some spying lol 

His SF4 ending implies otherwise. Vega had a vested interested in Shadaloo's survival. Aside from the instance of Vega letting Cammy go because of her insatiable beauty, Vega has never betrayed Bison's bottomline.

Bison can make Vega young with his science. Urien may have perfected the human genome project after Shadaloo's fall (possibly with stolen tech), but at the time of Alpha and SF4, it was Shadaloo who arguably were at the cutting edge of gene manipulation for many years before the brothers took power of the SS.

12 minutes ago, Daemos said:

His SF4 ending implies otherwise. Vega had a vested interested in Shadaloo's survival. Aside from the instance of Vega letting Cammy go because of her insatiable beauty, Vega has never betrayed Bison's bottomline.

Bison can make Vega young with his science. Urien may have perfected the human genome project after Shadaloo's fall (possibly with stolen tech), but at the time of Alpha and SF4, it was Shadaloo who arguably were at the cutting edge of gene manipulation for many years before the brothers took power of the SS.

totally forgot this one, bravo 👍 

Guess his bet was that if Shadaloo scientists can find way to contrast PP fast aging on Bison bodies, on him who does'nt even have PP problem the anti-aging effect would be even stronger

2 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

So if they wanted a young, early 20s chinese man for marketing reasons, you wish they turned SF1 Lee in that early 20s chinese man?

if they wanted a young, early 20s chinese man for marketing reasons, they could have just brought back Yun or Yang.

What I wish they turned SF1 Lee into is someone cool.  He doesn't have to be LITERALLY identical to Jamie to be cool.