Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

7 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

LMAO

So I fucked up picking my spells and then I found Withers will allow you to respec for 100 gold. So I paid him to respec, but fuck that. What's that skeleton going to do with my gold anyway? And why the fuck should I have to pay 100 gold because I accidentally chose the wrong spell?

So I robbed that mf and got my gold back 😂

Don't read this unless you want to be spoiled about Wither's identity

Spoiler

He's Jergal the former god of strife, death, and the dead. He got basically bored of being deity and gave three mortals a portion of his power. The current gods Bhaal, Bane, and Myrkul are his successors. The temple you find him in, is dedicated to him. He's just so old of a god that he's been forgotten by most.

Anyway, I'd be weary of messing with that guy. Not sure if there are repercussions though.

https://www.gamesradar.com/viral-developer-says-their-free-survival-game-and-squid-game-parodies-would-have-cost-them-dollar56-million-under-new-unity-rules/

Viral developer says their free survival game and Squid Game parodies would have cost them $5.6 million under new Unity rules

published 1 day ago

Muck and Crab Game have been downloaded more than 28 million times

The developer of two free indie games that went viral says that new revenue rules planned by game engine provider Unity would have cost him more than $5 million in install fees.

In June 2021, YouTuber Daniel Sooman released Muck, a parody low-res survival game that he made out of spite in no time flat and published on Steam for free. Not only was Muck genuinely good (I unironically have more than a dozen hours in it, and you can complete a run in around 90 minutes), it was also an interesting insight into game development, thanks to Sooman's video about the process of making the game.

A few months later, Sooman followed Muck up with Crab Game, a parody of Squid Game's massive popularity in 2021. In addition to the Korean sensation, there's an obvious touch of Fall Guys to the gameplay, and Crab Game ended up being an even bigger sensation than Muck.

Unfortunately, both games are made in Unity, which announced yesterday that new revenue rules would charge developers for every installation of their game over $200,000 in earnings and 200,000 installs. Developers across the industry immediately revolted, with indie studios explaining that the decision would likely force them to delay their games as they switch to new engines if it stands. Aggro Crab, developer of cult roguelike Going Under and anticipated Soulslike Another Crab's Treasure, led the charge with an explainer culminating in the immortal phrase "I f***ing hate it here."

Sooman himself also took to social media to calculate the potential cost of his free games and their viral success. At a cost of 20 cents per install over the 200,000 install threshold, he calculates that the 28,000,000 downloads of Muck and Crab Game would have cost him $5.6 million. He acknowledges that between the threshold and the fact that the new fee only comes into effect from January 2024, that maths isn't perfect, but both games are still getting Steam reviews, implying recent, if not brand-new downloads. 

It's important to note that Sooman's interpretation of the change is not entirely accurate. Projects must meet the threshold for both revenue and installs, so a free game that earns no money wouldn't be subject. However, as we noted in interviews with several developers, the risk attached to giveaways, subscriptions, or charity bundles may now mean that many games that might have been available for free (or at least limited costs), would not be in future. Many developers have also implied an upcoming search for alternative engines, a process that is likely to hinder projects.

There is a physical version of Cult of the Lamb for Switch, btw--- from what I hear they're pulling the game as of January 2024 due to the nonsense going on with Unity, so if one was thinking about getting that game... now would probably be the time to get the physical version before it permanently disappears.  I'm not inclined to trust what happens to digital-only in the scenario where something is no longer on a digital storefront (*wouldn't you just be out of luck if for instance you get a new Switch some day... then you can't redownload since it's no longer on the store digitally?  At least that's what I would assume happens.... and once again the physical media is the optimal choice.)

58 minutes ago, MillionX said:

There is a physical version of Cult of the Lamb for Switch, btw--- from what I hear they're pulling the game as of January 2024 due to the nonsense going on with Unity, so if one was thinking about getting that game... now would probably be the time to get the physical version before it permanently disappears.  I'm not inclined to trust what happens to digital-only in the scenario where something is no longer on a digital storefront (*wouldn't you just be out of luck if for instance you get a new Switch some day... then you can't redownload since it's no longer on the store digitally?  At least that's what I would assume happens.... and once again the physical media is the optimal choice.)

I think that's just a threat and nothing more from CotL devs.  Unity is already starting to change their tune.

For digital if you dont want it to go away just back that shit up on some other drive.  Its not rocket surgery.  🤣

I legit was hyped for F-ZERO 99. Sure, it isn't a 3D new game but I'm glad Nintendo acknowledged the series in some capacity. I thought I'd fire it up for a few races, but I ended up sitting down with the game for a good two hours. Instead of playing until you're eliminated, you see how well you can do and get points based on your place and performance. And races are freaking insane. I've already seen videos of people placing first. 

I know there's some people understandably upset about F-Zero 99 but after looking some gameplay footage of people playing it, I think there's is a definite silver lining to this.  This game was not a simple port up job.  This looks like they put a fair amount of work into this that they're letting people play for "free". 

This could easily be their semi way of them testing the waters or potentially a sign of things to come because they could have easily just made a 99 off of a different IP but they chose this one specifically.  It's not what people wanted at all but I think people should be at least give them game a shot first before dismissing it out right and hopefully this can lead to something else down the line.

There's a couple other details regarding SMRPG on the Japanese website

There's an Easy Mode (not necessary imo but doesn't hurt anything by being there)  and also the ability to play the original OST if you want.

Also Thousand Year door is definitely in Remakester territory

12 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Side note: Is Retro even considered a major team for Nintendo at this point 

Absolutely, they release those Donkey Kong games to. 

I was sick as fuck today so I missed all the trailer drops. Trying to catch up but two announcements are too hype not to comment on immedietly. 

Man I did not have a new Contra on my Bingo Card that's so fucking cool. I am hype. 

And Rebirth looks fucking awesome. 

Edited by RSG3
6 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I've already seen videos of people placing first. 

Funnily enough I actually won my very first race. There's a certain element of luck involved and it was on Death Wind, which I presume a lot of newbies picked because the layout looks easy (joke's on them). Haven't won anything else since then, but the kudos points are in my bad and will never go away.

Game is decent overall, but its release timing is just as tonedeaf as Federation Force's back in the day.

17 minutes ago, delete_me said:

Game is decent overall, but its release timing is just as tonedeaf as Federation Force's back in the day.

Yea I kind of agree with this. People been asking for an F-Zero sequel for a long time, while this looks cool it also kinda of looks like a  "Here you go, now shut up" kind of release. 

14 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I legit was hyped for F-ZERO 99. Sure, it isn't a 3D new game but I'm glad Nintendo acknowledged the series in some capacity. I thought I'd fire it up for a few races, but I ended up sitting down with the game for a good two hours. Instead of playing until you're eliminated, you see how well you can do and get points based on your place and performance. And races are freaking insane. I've already seen videos of people placing first. 

I'm looking forward to checking this out, it seems like a pretty cool idea, although I have a feeling it'll get shut down soon like Pacman99 and Mario 35 did.

Saturn port

Here is an overview of the game, via its official website:

About

Take control of heavily armed robots and fight on the battlefield.

Released in 1997, this action game where you customize robots to fight is back and will be part of the Saturn Tribute series.

Get on board of an anthropomorphic robot, an Assault Suit, customize its weapons and equipment, and fight on various battlefields.

Consult the hints to complete a mission. You can also raise the durability of your robots to fight longer.

Convenient Features and Option Settings Only Available in Saturn Tribute

• Rewind – Rewind gameplay a by certain amount of time and resume.
  • Quick Save / Load – Save game state at any point.

Saturn Tribute

Reprints of classics produced and developed by City Connection with the Zebra Engine during the Saturn era.

Play a variety of titles with improved controls and new features.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh wait preorders Ganondorf and Zelda went up?  I need to jump on those 2

Edit: Managed to snag Ganondorf...missed out on Zelda.  Will have to wait till she becomes available again.

I had everything preordered across various retailers but Cheap Ass Gamer and Wario64 mentioned that GameStop sent out an internal email saying that (close to) everything shown in the Direct and State of Play's yesterday will be available for pre-order today. So I went at open and was able to preorder everything.

Edited by iStu X