Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Guest Characters? In MY Street Fighter?

Posted (edited)

Spent pretty much the whole day playing Akuma. Between over half a year of rust and playing a character so different from Manon it was probably an hour before I could scrape together a win. My very first dub came off drive rush raging demon it felt sooo good 

He’s definitely really good but probably not for me. I don’t like hado style fireballs in SF6 and his buttons aren’t particularly fun to hit. I love his crazy walk speed, having a DP, and raging demon, but outside of that I just find him kinda boring. 

Gonna go through the other DLC characters since I haven’t tried them much. 

Edit: His teleport grab is definitely a fun gimmick. It absolutely sucks but it’s just fast enough that you can catch someone sleeping with it once a set lol. Very fun to stunt on someone with it when you know you’re in their head lol 

Edited by Vhozite
Posted (edited)

So my 09er friend have been going on and on about how SF6 is so random, and that SF4 is so much better because it rewards skill and that the same people win again and again because it's consistent. 

Is there anything I can use to retort? It's so annoying that the comparison to SF4 has been ongoing since SF5 days until now.  Was there really nothing random about SF4? I mean sf5 was my first SF. 

Can't people just enjoy a game for what it is?

Edited by Edmund
2 hours ago, Edmund said:

So my 09er friend have been going on and on about how SF6 is so random, and that SF4 is so much better because it rewards skill and that the same people win again and again because it's consistent. 

Is there anything I can use to retort? It's so annoying that the comparison to SF4 has been ongoing since SF5 days until now.  Was there really nothing random about SF4? I mean sf5 was my first SF. 

Can't people just enjoy a game for what it is?

The game with a revenge meter rewards skill? Lol

One thing did'nt realized reading patch notes 😄 

Zangief Tundra Storm (special that counter kicks) now catch Drive Reversals too and i think is bigger thing because they just added instand wake-up DR too

Even if character-specific decent amount of characters including some very strong ones have a kick DR... not sure will work on all but still

• Luke
  • Jamie
  • Ken
  • Cammy
  • Juri
  • Deejay
  • Chun Li
  • Zangief
  • Rashid
  • AKI

-timestamped-

Posted (edited)

Day 2 of Combo Breaker is live. Links in spoiler.

Spoiler

Street Fighter 6

https://www.twitch.tv/tenomedia

Killer Instinct

Tekken 8

https://www.twitch.tv/tekken

Guilty Gear Strive

https://www.twitch.tv/funkyp

Under Night In-Birth 2

https://www.twitch.tv/lowkickesports

Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising

https://www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

https://www.twitch.tv/tampaneversleeps

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike

https://www.twitch.tv/vampirearcadia

Blazblue Central Fiction

https://www.twitch.tv/juicygamenight

Edited by BornWinner
4 hours ago, purbeast said:

SF4 is the game that got me back into fighting games and played a huge part in my life at the time.  I can't say if I like SF6 more or not at this point since it's still kinda of new comparatively, but I get the same feeling from SF6 that I got with SF4.  

I personally think SF6 definitely takes more skill than SF4.  

The damage in SF4 was so much weaker and therefore you could make more mistakes and still come out on top, especially being rewarded for making mistakes with the revenge meter as mentioned above.

The mental stack in SF6 has SO00000 much more to worry about than SF4 ever did.  When you are on defense you just have so much stuff to worry about that it is overwhelming.  There was nothing like this in SF4 at all.  Defense in SF4 was very easy comparatively.   In SF6 you gotta worry about throws, shimmies, drive impact, burnout, etc.

This kind of goes with my above point, but the delay throw tech OS in SF4 simplified defense so much.  Shimmies weren't even a thing in SF4 because of it.  It was much harder to get thrown in SF4 than it was in SF6.

I'm not sure what your friend means about the same people winning in SF4 all the time but not in SF6.  I usually see the same people at the top in current tournaments.  Also the player base is much bigger now than it was during SF4 days, so you will have more competition at a higher level, which should in theory mean more parity.

EDIT:

I will say though, SF4 had a higher ceiling as far as execution skill level goes, for the sole reason that some characters needed 1 frame for optimal combos.  You don't have that in SF6.  

Pretty much agree with everything you said.  SF4 also got me back into fighting games and I've only heard from people who liked both 4 and 6.  The only thing that SF4 has that's more difficult is execution and this isn't debatable, but that's because old games are just harder than modern games in this way.   In terms, of everything else, SF6 has much more difficult mental stack and managing the drive gauge along with everything else is tricky.   

Also, the argument that guy gave about SF6 being random makes no sense since Mena has won what CEO, Capcom Cup, EVO Japan and I might even be forgetting some other tournaments.  Point being, he's been incredibly dominant and Kakeru has been consistent as well.  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Pretty much agree with everything you said.  SF4 also got me back into fighting games and I've only heard from people who liked both 4 and 6.  The only thing that SF4 has that's more difficult is execution and this isn't debatable, but that's because old games are just harder than modern games in this way.   In terms, of everything else, SF6 has much more difficult mental stack and managing the drive gauge along with everything else is tricky.   

Also, the argument that guy gave about SF6 being random makes no sense since Mena has won what CEO, Capcom Cup, EVO Japan and I might even be forgetting some other tournaments.  Point being, he's been incredibly dominant and Kakeru has been consistent as well.  

Yeah I'd say the execution is tougher for sure in SF4.  But ... it is also character dependent for the most part.

I played as Balrog and there was nothing that was super tricky with him, aside from the 1 frame link from st.lp to cr.fk.  I could get it some of the time but it wasn't like it was 100% necessary to be able to nail that combo to win.  It was mainly just jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab headbutt lol.  I didn't have to have any kind of crazy execution to play with him.

I also did not really like SF5.  I think it was like season 2 shortly after Balrog came out, I kinda gave up on that game.  The online in general was just terrible and made it hard to just get games so I got tired of it.  I just found it boring though basically every character had  the same game plan regardless of who was controlling them.  It was just boring to watch too.

Edited by purbeast
1 hour ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Best part of the joke is in story is kinda hinted she may host an evil spirit 😄 

However, Dhalsim can sense what seems to be the Satsui no Hado inside Lily (persumably her spirit Toyno'Ikonoi) and is worried if that was the case. In the end, Dhalsim chose to withhold expressing his concern to Lily, simply referring to what he sense as a "great power" within her.

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

Yeah I'd say the execution is tougher for sure in SF4.  But ... it is also character dependent for the most part.

I played as Balrog and there was nothing that was super tricky with him, aside from the 1 frame link from st.lp to cr.fk.  I could get it some of the time but it wasn't like it was 100% necessary to be able to nail that combo to win.  It was mainly just jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab headbutt lol.  I didn't have to have any kind of crazy execution to play with him.

I also did not really like SF5.  I think it was like season 2 shortly after Balrog came out, I kinda gave up on that game.  The online in general was just terrible and made it hard to just get games so I got tired of it.  I just found it boring though basically every character had  the same game plan regardless of who was controlling them.  It was just boring to watch too.

I played Cody and his optimal bnb had two 1 frame links and pretty much only Momochi was doing it.  The nice thing about SF4 Cody though was that he had multiple combos of varying difficulty.  Like you could do st.HP, cr.MP which was a 2 frame link instead and get almost the same damage.  He also had really easy beginner combos.  Really like how he was designed in 4.

Yeah, SFV had a rough start I don't blame you for giving up 😂.  It did get better eventually, but I found the first two season to be pretty painful until Arcade edition came out.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, purbeast said:

SF4 is the game that got me back into fighting games and played a huge part in my life at the time.  I can't say if I like SF6 more or not at this point since it's still kinda of new comparatively, but I get the same feeling from SF6 that I got with SF4.  

I personally think SF6 definitely takes more skill than SF4.  

The damage in SF4 was so much weaker and therefore you could make more mistakes and still come out on top, especially being rewarded for making mistakes with the revenge meter as mentioned above.

The mental stack in SF6 has SO00000 much more to worry about than SF4 ever did.  When you are on defense you just have so much stuff to worry about that it is overwhelming.  There was nothing like this in SF4 at all.  Defense in SF4 was very easy comparatively.   In SF6 you gotta worry about throws, shimmies, drive impact, burnout, etc.

This kind of goes with my above point, but the delay throw tech OS in SF4 simplified defense so much.  Shimmies weren't even a thing in SF4 because of it.  It was much harder to get thrown in SF4 than it was in SF6.

I'm not sure what your friend means about the same people winning in SF4 all the time but not in SF6.  I usually see the same people at the top in current tournaments.  Also the player base is much bigger now than it was during SF4 days, so you will have more competition at a higher level, which should in theory mean more parity.

EDIT:

I will say though, SF4 had a higher ceiling as far as execution skill level goes, for the sole reason that some characters needed 1 frame for optimal combos.  You don't have that in SF6.  

Totally agree with what you said, Pertho. The only thing harder in SF4 was the execution. SF6 is just so much harder especially on defense. So much shit to look out for. 

I don't get the obsession that particular 09er friend has about SF4 being dominated by a few players, hence it's more skill based rather than random like in sf6. (I have THREE 09er friends. I get a massive headache whenever they reminisce about the good old days of sf4 but the one that keeps bashing sf6 and talks up sf4 all the time is annoying asf).

When Akuma released a few days ago, all he did was talk about how SF4's Akuma was way more interesting. How SF4's Akuma has Vortex but SF6's Akuma doesn't have it. 

Wait, since my friend hates randomness in games, why does he like Vortex then. Isn't vortex random? You're just making your opponents guess isn't it? Someone educate me. I'm a 16'er. lol. 

And regarding player base in sf6, like you mentioned, it's WAY bigger than in sf4. And Mena has been winning all the big events (Evo Jp, Red Bull Kumite, SFL Global). Tokido, Angrybird, Punk and Kakeru have been placing very high as well in all the big tournaments. 

It's bad enough for me that I had to listen to how bad sf5 was and how SF4 is better throughout SF5's lifespan, but I have to also listen to the same shit again about how SF4 is superior to SF6 during SF6's entire lifespan, and it definitely will happen for SF7 and beyond too.

At least my 09er still plays sf6 though. So that's a consolation. 

My 16er friends are total oddballs as well. 

One stopped playing fighting games because he's got a girlfriend now so he can't play videogames anymore. (still plays gacha games on mobile) 

Another one has a 1 year old kid and he doesn't want his kid to look at screens. So no TV or games. When I asked how he's  watching shows on Netflix, he says he watches them on his ipad and he tilts his body to one side so his kid can't see what's on the screen. 

The last one refuses to play sf6 because it's too woke according to him. In his own words, capcom made chunli ugly and the game features too many black characters. 

Seriously I love my friends but they all weird asf. 

Edited by Edmund
4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@EdmundJust show your 09er friend this. I've never seen this happen in SF6. I don't even recall seeing this in SFV. This the most random thing I've seen in any fighting game period.

Lol good one. I'll show it to them the next time they yap about how Sf4 is so superior. 

BTW I updated my post regarding my 16er friends too lmao!! 

2 hours ago, Edmund said:

Totally agree with what you said, Pertho.

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh....

Also to put it in perspective, I am 42 and have 2 kids, a 9 year old and a 3 year old who turns 4 in August, and I still make time to play games.  Having kids or a wife/girl is no excuse to stop doing what you love.  Hell my 3 year old LOVES watching me play SF6 and every time I do Dee Jay's level 3 he is hoping it is the CA version because he always asks me if it is the "goodnight" one or not lol.

Posted (edited)

That Ghandi match was great lol. Whatever gets you the win, I guess. Had he used different attacks

and punished appropiately he could have taken the win earlier.

I recall a similar situation in pre-Super SFIV with some guy playing Sagat, funny stuff.

Edited by AriesWarlock
42 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Drive Reversal still feels like complete ass 

In practice it’s still nearly as expensive as DRC, still minus enough on block for a big punish, and at 18/20f startup it’s still incredibly slow as a defensive move. 

It's good for characters that don't have an invincible reversal though.  Like I fought a Manon and Dhalsim tonight that were both using it whereas before they would probably just wakeup super and hope for the best lol.   

8 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

It's good for characters that don't have an invincible reversal though.  Like I fought a Manon and Dhalsim tonight that were both using it whereas before they would probably just wakeup super and hope for the best lol.   

I mean sure it exists for those characters that literally have no other option, but I would hardly say it’s good. 

I guess my view on it really depends on what Capcom’s goal is supposed to be for the Drive Gauge. Drive Rush, Parry, and Impact are all universal tools that are so strong that probably every aspect of the game revolves around at least one of them. Meanwhile Drive Reversal feels like a shitty version of the real DP half the roster already has.

It doesn’t feel in line with the other mechanics. If it was cheaper I wouldn’t consider it a big deal but right now it can be the second most expensive or tied for the most expensive thing you can spend meter on. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Dude neutral jump and jump back air fireball was my favorite thing about Akuma in SF4 and its absence is like 75% of the reason I don’t like him in 5 or 6. That and EX putting two fireballs on screen instead of one. 

But even besides that this video echoes my thoughts on Akuma. Speaking purely gameplay for me SF4>SFV>SF6. It’s a shame because his look in SF6 is BY FAR my favorite take on the character I think he looks absolutely amazing.

Edited by Vhozite

Akuma is fun to play, his air fireball mixed with drive rush gives options and pressure, it's still super early but not having his sf5 cr.hp or his demon flip throw makes him a bit less dangerous and more importantly less fun, I would prefer demon flip into throw 1,000 times more than his teleport command grab he has now, let's hope season 2 gets another patch and gets that back. 

Posted (edited)

Final day of Combo Breaker is live.

Spoiler

Granblue Top 8 (Strive and SF6 will also have their Top 8 here)

https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

SF6 Top 24

Strive Top 24

https://www.twitch.tv/funkyp

Tekken 8 Top 96

https://www.twitch.tv/tekken

UMvC3 Top 32

https://www.twitch.tv/tampaneversleeps

Blazblue CF/Ultra SF4

https://www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto

Melty Blood TL Top 24

https://www.twitch.tv/lowkickesports

Accent Core Top 16

https://www.twitch.tv/tempestfgc

Samurai Shodown Top 16

https://www.twitch.tv/vampirearcadia

Edited by BornWinner

Papa Capcom looking weirdly prescient with those Lily nerfs.  🤣

Srsly tho wakeup drive reversal was putting in work for Lily and Manon. 

How many of chakotays combos into level one were possible prepatch?  I don't think I've ever seen that so much from a Lily. 

Especially since istg I think chakotay only did a combo longer than three moves a couple times his whole run.  He straight up looked like he was playing SF2. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Papa Capcom looking weirdly prescient with those Lily nerfs.  🤣

Srsly tho wakeup drive reversal was putting in work for Lily and Manon. 

Yeah, the new drive reversal is like an indirect buff for Lily. Chakotay was using it a ton.

Edited by HeavensCloud