Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

God that would've been awful.

Also where did he say this?

"Nakayama then adds a line about how he and his team could have made modern controls the only option, perhaps implying how numerous the more casual fan base is. This statement paired with a follow up from Matsumoto makes for a sentiment that may make classic control diehards a bit nervous for the future of the franchise.

Director Nakayamaa: To put it bluntly, we could've just made the game without Classic Controls at all if we wanted to. But that would have forced this ideal upon all of the legacy fans and caused a lot of problems that way instead. On the development staff we actually have a lot of 'old players', and a lot of them said 'I don't like you calling it Classic Controls!'. So we figured we'd just have it all in there and let the players settle it in matches which is better."

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2023/jul/27/sf6-director-game-classic-controls/

Edited by CESTUS III
2 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Hmm...

What a fucking pussy.

The fact that they refer to us as "legacy fans" points what they think about it.

The hilarious thing is that it was those "legacy fans" that made SFV not be a complete disaster by sticking to it when the game failed to garner traction.

Is like Strive all over again, lmao.

46 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Strive was them trying to get a new market altogether with a game that wasn't a clusterfuck of things. Because for better or worse, ASW was making games for FG otakus. Then they went off to do ASW things by releasing Happy Chaos so its a big ol' w/e from them as a company.

If you had it in mind to blow it up, then just do it and don't half ass it. The situation now with modern controls is worse than if that had been the only way to play. At least then we wouldn't have a fruity argument about them. Dudes are DPing random shit they couldn't before on reaction but its supposed to be fine.

I'll accept w/e type of gibberish people want to make. But I don't particularly like when dudes do the coward things and try to play both sides. If you're going one direction then fine. Go for it. Look at DNF. They set out to make the most garbage game possible then tripled down with the patches. I respect that more than talking out of both side of the proverbial mouth.

I don't see anything controversial in that statement. Of course they could have ditched classic controls, they're the developers. Would probably have been easy to convince the higher ups seeing that the game would have cost less money at the risk of only losing a tiny fraction of the potential sales. It's just a pragmatic view on the bigger picture, not necessarily how he feels personally or what is going to happen.

For me this is the same as Miyamoto coming out and saying "we could have put guns in Mario, but we didn't". They have creative freedom over their games, even though entitled consumers continuously try to challenge that notion.

Edit: I agree that the mix between Modern and Classic isn't elegant and they should probably put players in different pools online.

Edited by delete_me
15 hours ago, Hecatom said:

The fact that they refer to us as "legacy fans" points what they think about it.

The hilarious thing is that it was those "legacy fans" that made SFV not be a complete disaster by sticking to it when the game failed to garner traction.

Also how talk about some in the team being "old players" as if he's distancing himself from them 

Another from different interview 

Director Nakayama: We might be quite unique in that regard. A producer and director being so friendly with each other, and on top of that, Matsumoto really loves Street Fighter. So we realized in the office that "If it makes Matsumoto happy, it will make our customers happy", and that was our approach for a lot of what we did.

Matsumoto loves Street Fighter, what a strange thing lol 

Idk, every time Nakayama open mouth feels to me he does'nt give fucks about SF legacy

16 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

"Nakayama then adds a line about how he and his team could have made modern controls the only option, perhaps implying how numerous the more casual fan base is. This statement paired with a follow up from Matsumoto makes for a sentiment that may make classic control diehards a bit nervous for the future of the franchise.

Director Nakayamaa: To put it bluntly, we could've just made the game without Classic Controls at all if we wanted to. But that would have forced this ideal upon all of the legacy fans and caused a lot of problems that way instead. On the development staff we actually have a lot of 'old players', and a lot of them said 'I don't like you calling it Classic Controls!'. So we figured we'd just have it all in there and let the players settle it in matches which is better."

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2023/jul/27/sf6-director-game-classic-controls/

I've heard the translation on that interview is sketchy.

Even then, I don't see what's wrong there. They could have made the game with modern inputs only if they wanted. They ended up not wanting to because a bunch of developers didn't even like that they were called "Modern" and "Classic", let alone getting rid of Classic. All I'm getting from that is that developers consider a large amount of potential design choices before throwing away 95% of them and decide what's the best direction to go.

6 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I've heard the translation on that interview is sketchy.

Even then, I don't see what's wrong there. They could have made the game with modern inputs only if they wanted. They ended up not wanting to because a bunch of developers didn't even like that they were called "Modern" and "Classic", let alone getting rid of Classic. All I'm getting from that is that developers consider a large amount of potential design choices before throwing away 95% of them and decide what's the best direction to go.

The bad part to me is that the head of the project seems to give no fucks about classic having modern as priority 

Modern there was never in doubt, classic could have been

I'm just waiting what sf8 control scheme would be, regardless what other people would say that it isnt tournament legal or something .

it doesn't guarantee that there wont be tournaments that would allow it and would start a tournament with all modern controls as the default.

I have been saying this from the beginning. another problem that i have said before is why need of two beginner control scheme? lol

i feel like they are gauging players usage of control so thats why there are two.

the problem is if modern would later be the default then sf loses a unique aspect and it branding.

it's okay if you are a new fighter IP that has no establish identity you can be whatever you want like project L but that a different story for a mainstream fighter.

Edited by Shakunetsu

Modern is absolutely the future and I’m basically at 75/25 on modern being the standard and no classic controls. 

Something that I’ve noticed in 6 is that allot of people don’t use Drive Reversal. I don’t understand why. I use that shit mad aggressively and even use it to keep people in the corner. I feel like it’s actually really good at doing that. I think allot of these 6 niggas didn’t play SFV and probably aren’t used to a SF with an alpha counter. 

4 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

The bad part to me is that the head of the project seems to give no fucks about classic having modern as priority 

Modern there was never in doubt, classic could have been

There's a good chance there was another plan where modern controls were never contemplated too.

I feel like this is just Eventhubs stirring the pot with shitty translation because their audience need to hate the SF development team.

29 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

Modern is absolutely the future and I’m basically at 75/25 on modern being the standard and no classic controls. 

They can definitely keep playing without in that case then, I ain't learning no shitty modern controls.

In that case I'll just stick to 6.

2 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

It is regardles we or some like it or not,  convenience is king and convenience wins always over quality.

but i have the feeling it wouldn't be like just replace rather ever changing at for a several game later

like what happened to the versus series after MVC1, MVC2 had legit reason why it needs to change it's button layout but the others just shifting

TVC button layout isnt same with UMVC and both are different button layout to MVCI, the thing is it isn't something good to hook in with familiarity to casual 

Before if you played with street fighter you know the layout with others are the same.

JTf68eF.png

this is my problems with SNK arcade games back in the day and MK arcade games because the button layout is different from different arcades, this is why i was a late adopter of KOF games and started only 99 even it's everywhere.

upper row LP LK lower row HP HK  then some had different version while others are just straight line ABCD that is not divided into two rows

As a perspective as noob back then, it's confusing and discouraging to play them on different button layout like i need to shift my muscles memory every now and then for different arcade machines and arcade center.

when bootleg SNK arcade PCB were around the bootleg arcade cabinets and when the sega versus city became the overall arcade machine to every game center, everyone starts  adopting the street fighter layout LP,HP then LKHK, I only played snk arcade fighters before that(99) in consoles with friends because i could change the config to SF layout or if is SF layout arcade cabinet haha

Edited by Shakunetsu
3 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

Something that I’ve noticed in 6 is that allot of people don’t use Drive Reversal. I don’t understand why. I use that shit mad aggressively and even use it to keep people in the corner. I feel like it’s actually really good at doing that. I think allot of these 6 niggas didn’t play SFV and probably aren’t used to a SF with an alpha counter. 

Most players rather use parry for defense and the cost of reversal doesn't make it worth it. It should be safer for 2 and half bars

I agree with Hawk it’s pretty expensive, and I say that as someone who uses it more than Drive Rush. It’s a good option but Drive Reversal combined with literally any other meter usage and you’re in the red zone. Hard to justify between drive rush being key to the game, needing at least 1 block for a counter DI, and whatever OD moves your character has. Parry is cheaper with a potentially higher upside, and a lot of the better characters have DP’s anyway.

Edit: I’d be hesitant to make it cheaper too. The last thing this game needs is more shit that costs barely any meter.

Edited by Vhozite
1 hour ago, Jocelot said:

F2VpQcfbcAAStVL?format=jpg&name=medium

I respect Nemo as a player obviously, but seeing so many characters in S tier is always a pet peeve of mine.

But this is also the highest I've seen someone place Marisa so it can't be all bad. 

JP is probably debatable because characters like him live or die on MU knowledge. Ken, Guile, Luke, Marisa, DJ and Juri have everything. Marisa is fucking broken Cammy might be A tier. Lily is so annoying because she's one of characters where the slightest adjustment could turn her into a fucking freak. But she's fucking struggling. I like that her game plan is simple because I'm a retard. But she just lacks tools.

Edited by TWINBLADES
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

What's the bottom tier for, it doesn't have a letter. I see Gief there, so I have an inclination....

6 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Rashid is bottom 2 and he’s been out what…a week? Not saying he’s amazing but if like some more time to pass before writing him off.

Oh apparently that last tier listing is for "unknown". Rashid being there makes sense, but Zangief is a weird one. Probably because Nemo hates grapplers 

53 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

Oh apparently that last tier listing is for "unknown". Rashid being there makes sense, but Zangief is a weird one. Probably because Nemo hates grapplers 

I was thinking "broken" because Gief was there Nemo hates grapplers. I want to see him run into Snake Eyez. Snake Eyez makes Gief look top tier in SF6.

Marissa just does shit. Half the stuff is hard to either punish on block or to whiff punish.  Throw shit out and it probably works out TBH.

Like somebody had a hard on for Abigail and decided to give him a bunch of buffs by giving the moveset a sex change.

4 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

Marisa is fucking broken

dont-believe-his-lies-memento.gif

25 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Marissa just does shit. Half the stuff is hard to either punish on block or to whiff punish.  Throw shit out and it probably works out TBH.

Like somebody had a hard on for Abigail and decided to give him a bunch of buffs by giving the moveset a sex change.

you-a-hater-curtis-payne.gif

On 7/30/2023 at 9:52 PM, Phantom_Miria said:

There's a good chance there was another plan where modern controls were never contemplated too.

I feel like this is just Eventhubs stirring the pot with shitty translation because their audience need to hate the SF development team.

Tbh both can be true

EH is surely chasing these outrage clicks, but  devs words don't seem to contradict much how SF6 interface by design seems to encourage people toward Modern over Classic

For anyone that wasn’t aware you can meaty jab Maria’s level 1 and level 3 supers. Stuffs wake-up button and you will recover in time to block those supers (they are pretty slow). 

YT vid of me doing it against her SA1

Spoiler

Characters with quick jabs can meaty jab Manon SA1. I suspected this was the case (10f startup) but never bothered to test it before today. 

I’ll record a vid eventually.

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, delete_me said:

Looking at these tier lists, I get the feeling Dhalsim has been placed at pretty much every tier across multiple lists so far.

Maybe not S yet, but give Mr Crimson a good EVO run and I bet that'll be rectified immediately.

He'll be a bona fide SABCD tier character in September.

I always side eye the tier lists that have him in the lower tiers. Dhalsim always takes a while to crack. He's not as fast to figure out like said Ken. 

The new system reminds me of Super SF4's system.

League Points is SF6's equivalent of the Battle Point system. As everyone knows, BP was a per character thing.

"Master Rate" is more akin to Player Points. Unlike BP, these are your main points regardless of who you're using.

So LP kinda feels like it's in the background now.