Stage Select

The Metroid Thread: The E.M.M.I. just want a hug! (Dread Available Now)

Metroid Dread is probably the most difficult Metroid I've ever played but it's not unreasonable. Checkpoints are like every where, like right outside EMMI zones and boss battles, so even if u lose you can immediately try again, you're never put in an unwinnable battle.

Journalists these days suck and basically want no challenge at all, trash ass gamers 🤣

People already starting to crack this game open. Seen a vid showing how to get the Pulse Radar early, but the uploader just took it down.

Spoiler

Basically, after you get the Grapple Beam, then take the Red teleporter to Cataris, and then the Orange to Ghavoran and you'll be right above it.

You can bomb out of the Red Teleporter room in Cataris to the bigger part of it, the orange one is in the room right next to the Red one. You need to slide and go to a heated area in front of some magnetic strips.

Is there any way to send Switch screenshots to PC quickly? Can I just plug that sucker in with a Type-C cable? I gotta get a new AV.

54 minutes ago, Volt said:

I figured that if these bosses were getting me stressed, journalists would be in shambles, but this is embarrassing. 🤣

I straight up wanted to take a break to chill and de-stress a bit because beating all these fuckers back-to-back was taking a toll on my mood, but this game is too good, I can't. 😭

the chappelle show tyrone biggums GIF

Thanks fam I needed this 🤣 Love Metroid my ass. Dude doesn't love Metroid, if he did, his article wouldn't have been written that way.

I decided to join the party. 

4CFE5E5C-70EC-4D9E-8F24-65E9EFE8E946.thumb.jpeg.8d018963e1e248b018ad07bbda797815.jpeg

I know no one cares but me but the amiibo sculpts are hella nice. I have two critiques about the EMMI though. 

1) I wish they had picked a different pose or stabilized the sculpt more as the sculpt feels very fragile in certain spots. 

2) Kind of a follow up on complaint 1: i feel they missed a huge opportunity not giving EMMI articulation. With this Samus sculpt having such a dynamic and battle ready pose you  would have had the opportunity to take some really cool pictures of it with EMMI if it had articulation in its waist and arms. 

I still feel you can but i feel they would have the same oomph

Bro this is kinda wild.

(Mechanic Spoiler)

Spoiler

You can jump while speed boosting and keep running when you hit the ground.

I thought wall jump SB was already neat, but this is really cool.

Edit: You can slide too. I gotta test this in a better area, this is so cool.

Edited by Volt
2 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

FUCK this yellow EMMI! This shit is so intense lol.

I noticed that if you jump and then hold down on the stick as you land you can get the camera to pan down a little until you let go of down. Lets you see below bit more before making a blind jump down.

Iirc, aiming pans the camera a bit too, or was that just in Samus Returns?

Yellow E.M.M.I. is on some shit tho. The E.M.M.I. in general are probably the best stalker enemy I've seen. 

I was on that late-game power trip mode and walked in carelessly into an E.M.M.I. zone.

That game over screen reminded me what was up real quick. 🤣

1 minute ago, Chadouken said:

You guys notice these clusters of blue butterflies? They just appeared outside a room with a Chozo statue that gave me an upgrade, but I've seen them around in other areas too. Are they some kind of subtle clue or something?

I definitely noticed them. Not sure what they signify yet either, at first I thought they were just there to look pretty 

13 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

FUCK this yellow EMMI! This shit is so intense lol.

I noticed that if you jump and then hold down on the stick as you land you can get the camera to pan down a little until you let go of down. Lets you see below bit more before making a blind jump down.

Is that the EMMI who comes for you immediately after you get the Omega Canon? Where u have like almost no room to work with. If so, yea, FUCK that encounter. I died over a dozen times easy there lol

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I decided to sequence break for my hard mode playthrough and now I utterly lost. 

What did you do? 🤣

Now that people are finding ways to break the game, I think it's fair to say this is the best Metroid game so far.

The only thing that's straight problematic is

Spoiler

Shinesparking in the air.

You gotta tap aim mid-air to stop doing screw/space jump and then spark.

Ballsparks in the air just ain't a thing.

Tbh, Spin Boost/Space Jump going before regular walljumps is also very stupid.

Just now, HD-Man said:

Is that the EMMI who comes for you immediately after you get the Omega Canon? Where u have like almost no room to work with. If so, yea, FUCK that encounter. I died over a dozen times easy there lol

It might be, but I haven't gotten the cannon for this one yet.

@Volt can confirm holding aim with L1 lets the camera pan up and down. That's super useful lol.

28 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I definitely noticed them. Not sure what they signify yet either, at first I thought they were just there to look pretty 

The yellow one is the fast one.  So far I've had the most stress dealing with that asshole and the Purple EMMI that I finally got pass tonight.  Those 2 had my toes had me in deep panics when they knew I was in the area.

Also want to say I was getting my ass handed to me by the first chozo warrior encounter.   That god damn red attack with that wide as fuck hit box.  Feels like it doesn't matter if you're on another platform or trying to phase shift above it...if you haven't dodged it proper before the attack animation comes out then you eat that shit for free.  I'm at a good point now where they show up and I'm like "....you sure you wanna do this?   Aaaaiiight then..." and just handle it but that first encounter...dude was in my cheeks.  Then on top of that they try to entice you to hesitate for a chance to counter so you gotta see what whether its the counterable attack or not or the red attack and you got a half sec to react.

This game has been a great ride...I'm almost at the end game.  Got one more EMMI somewhere and atleast one more powerup and then I'm pretty sure I'll be having a long conversation with the final boss shortly after.

I just killed the yellow EMMI and made it to Ferenia I think. And almost immediately after gettin there I ran into another EMMI zone, and it's probably the purple EMMI that you're talking about but I wouldn't know cuz I turned the game off immediately when at that point cuz fuck all that right now 

Ima give it a go tommorow tho. That's enough stress for one day lol. 

Edited by HD-Man
30 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I just killed the yellow EMMI and made it to Ferenia I think. And almost immediately after gettin there I ran into another EMMI zone, and it's probably the purple EMMI that you're talking about but I wouldn't know cuz I turned the game off immediately when at that point cuz fuck all that right now 

Ima give it a go tommorow tho. That's enough stress for one day lol. 

The purple EMMI is the one you have to deal with in a water area...ON TOP of its abilities.  Dealing with the Purple one is feels like dealing with inevitability when you're trying to hide from it using the cloak.  Once you get past it and eventually come back later you get enough abilities that make getting past and running from it way easier...but when you first get into that area it is fucking ROUGH.

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

I'm on the blue EMMI currently and the way it's search light works pisses me off lmao. 

That motherfucker was a nuisance but I managed to get by him without dying too much but his searchlight is def on some BS.  Luckily I mashed like a mad man whenever he just happened to catch me.

So far my parrying % with EMMI's is somewhere around 30%.  When you actually manage to parry one you feel like "FUCK YESS GET OFF ME!" but you don't have time to pop off cause you gotta get outta there.  I also want to say that I like the futile flaiing that have Samus do when when you miss the timing of the parry and the subsequent mashing of parry that usually ensues afterwards towards her inevitable demise.  They didn't have to do that but it's a nice touch seeing her trying to get free and live despite the oncoming inevitability.

Speaking of animation, I have to say bravo to Mercurysteam on the animations for Samus during some of these cutscenes with the bosses.  I can hear her personality through them loud and clear and she doesn't even have to say a word.  They're doing a hell of a job conveying her badassness through them.

6 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Speaking of animation, I have to say bravo to Mercurysteam on the animations for Samus during some of these cutscenes with the bosses.  I can hear her personality through them loud and clear and she doesn't even have to say a word.  They're doing a hell of a job conveying her badassness through them.

Her entire "conversation" with Kraid. *Chefs Kiss*

4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Got the Blue EMMI and just got the Gravity Duit and yo...man...the look of the Gravity Suit in this game. *sawoon*

Edit: Got the Screw Attack. Calling it a night there. 

Sounds you like you got a couple of things earlier than I did before I got to the Purple EMMI.  I wish I had found the Gravity suit before dealing with Purple so you'll probably be fine.

18 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I decided to do the Kraid sequence break and I completely forgot where I was suppose to go after getting the diffusion beam. 

Check your cleared save Mission Log for clues.

6 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I think I got the Pulse Radar early.

Spoilered just in case anyone doesn't want to know.

Reveal hidden contents

I backtracked to Cataris after killing the yellow EMMI and found a teleport device to Ghavoran. Managed to bomb jump up to it because I couldn't reach it jumping.

That's early affffffffff. 🤯

Spoiler

Where did you start jumping, the high ledge or all the way from the bottom of the room?

25 minutes ago, Volt said:

For those interested in Pulse Radar early, this is the room I was talking about last night. (Spoiler is just the map)

Yup, that's the room I was able to bomb jump up to the spider magnet, before I even got the Grapple Beam lol.

I'm at home with the kiddo all day today since I have the holiday off but my wife doesn't. Trying to get her to take a nap so I can sneak in some Metroid 😂

5 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Sounds you like you got a couple of things earlier than I did before I got to the Purple EMMI.  I wish I had found the Gravity suit before dealing with Purple so you'll probably be fine.

I feel I may have snagged a few items out of order. I know for a fact I've grabbed 2 upgrade canisters for an item I don't even have yet. Felt good getting them even if I can't use them simply because I'm clearly not supposed to have them yet lol. 

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

For the guys having trouble with the EMMI I would love to hear what you guys think of the 

Hide contents

Robot chozo soldiers.

Easily the biggest pain in my ass

I like them outside of the fight where they make you deal with two of them. 

On the subject of getting bombs early I got to hand it to MercSteam for holding vack the Morph Ball and Bombs for so long. Really effects how you think about navigating the world until you do have them since they are such staples. 

So after you get to Ferenia and 

Spoiler

Fight the Chozo who kills that old Tribal Chozo, I just did the cheesiest strategy ever to beat him. I'd simply jump on the upper left platform at the start, then jump to the upper platform to the right, then jump to the bottom floor then rinse and repeat. And each time he'd land, I'd pop him with a charge shot and a missle, killed him in like 2 minutes. I flowcharted that mfer 😂

19 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

So after you get to Ferenia and 

Hide contents

Fight the Chozo who kills that old Tribal Chozo, I just did the cheesiest strategy ever to beat him. I'd simply jump on the upper left platform at the start, then jump to the upper platform to the right, then jump to the bottom floor then rinse and repeat. And each time he'd land, I'd pop him with a charge shot and a missle, killed him in like 2 minutes. I flowcharted that mfer 😂

Spoiler

You can troll this dude super hard. All you need is to go "Haha, Flash Shift go brrrrrrr". 🤣

8 minutes ago, Volt said:
  Hide contents

You can troll this dude super hard. All you need is to go "Haha, Flash Shift go brrrrrrr". 🤣

I didn't even thinking of using that move, now I wanna go back and try it. Legit for I had it for a sec. lmao

Of course, my confidence shot back to shit once I got washed by that underwater boss, pun intended😂

18 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I hope Nintendo sues the hell out of Kotaku just for the sheer lulz because there is no way they can afford to fight a company that rich. Nintendo could bury them and not even hurt their quarterly profits.

KoWacku being blackballed by the big companies would be amazing.

Nintendo gotta get their lawyers to pull up on them like this: