Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

Was playing through Ultra SF2.

And was reminded of why I love Akuma's ending.

Outside of Alpha, most of Akuma's endings consist of him destroying shyt and gaining a new technique out of it. 

Here, he actually explains the difference between himself and Bison:

HAPcdO1.png

jMI77hy.png

wQOa3Zt.png

Ks3OJIc.png

According to Akuma, Bison has never mastered his Psycho Power. Instead, he's allowed it to master him.

On a surface level, Bison obviously knows how to manipulate Psycho Power like no other. But I think the meaning is deeper than that.

Kinda reminds me of Oro's win quote to Bison:

Fd64--xWQAAUlq1?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Psycho Power is pretty powerful in itself. Oro mentions that. His disappointment stemmed from Bison's use of it.

Same with Akuma. He says Falke isn't "worthy" of such power.

FvngaKE.png

GwZ1gGt.png

Bison's level of Psycho Power is often determined by the type of body his scientists can create for him.

Or through other artificial means such as the Psycho Drive and the Black Moons project.

In the EX continuity, he uses a machine similar to the Psycho Drive to amplify his Psycho Power.

Akuma and Bison's exchange in Alpha 3:

Bison: "The man who wields the "Wave of Murderous Intent," you are Akuma. ...... You will never be able to defeat me now. As long as I possess the Psycho Drive!" 

Gouki "・・・・・・ Standing in front of me is like passing through the gates of hell. You are a fool who cannot rely on your own fists... ...... You will die in shame!"

As the above shows, Bison's confidence in winning comes down to his reliance on the Psycho Drive. Not his capabilities as a fighter. This is exactly why Akuma responded the way that he did. 

Then you look at Oro, Akuma, and Ryu.

Oro developed his Senjutsu through rigorous training in his many yrs of living.

After fully embracing the Satsui no Hado, Akuma has taken his abilities to new heights through harsh training.

Ryu overcame the Satsui no Hado and developed the Power of Nothingness. 

None of them have resorted to acquiring power through artificial means to reach the level that they're at.

That being said....

Bison is still significantly beyond the majority of the SF universe.

Psycho Power still has no limits.

The Udon continuity gives us a look at Bison's development of the Psycho Power. 

BJzVQkM.jpeg

0mJ1mT2.jpeg

The Master didn't teach him everything, but it was enough for him to eventually exceed her Soul Power through his own training. Something he was able to do without resorting to artificial means.

For some reason, this made me think about Hit from Dragon Ball Super.

0RqOhjW.jpg

fhnHLk0.jpg

Hit's Time-Skip and other assassination abilities were all he needed to take down his targets in the past. Goku was the first to break through his Time Skip. 

The fight with Goku was under tournament rules, so Hit couldn't utilize his assassination techniques. Being unable to use the full extent of his techniques pretty much means he was forced to hold-back. After the fight with Goku, Hit decided it would be better for him to focus on improving his strength instead of relying on those techniques in battle.

The change in mindset made a huge difference. Hit was now as strong as Perfected Super Saiyan Blue Goku. A level far beyond the Super Saiyan Blue Goku that broke through his Time-Skip during their first battle.

How does this relate to Bison? 

Instead of Bison ditching any of his techniques (Psycho Crusher can NEVER be replaced), I want Bison to ditch his artificial quest for power...

If Bison were to return in the future, I'd like for him to go in a new direction when it comes to developing his Psycho Power. The artificial route has been done countless times. It's time for Lord Bison to master his Psycho Power the old fashioned way. No Psycho Drive. No body snatching. Just good ol' hellish training. It'll be better for him in the long run.

20 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Instead of Bison ditching any of his techniques (Psycho Crusher can NEVER be replaced), I want Bison to ditch his artificial quest for power...

Power is just power. Those are his words. So I don't think he will, once you've had a taste it's hard to go back. Akuma takes shortcuts as well in his own impoverished way. Such is the nature of evil.

The kind of power Bison seeks is beyond being a mere fighter. Oro's path won't take him there, certainly not on his own terms. Bison has a massive ego. I do believe he strives towards godhood, to bend reality to his will absolutely and then relish in the chaos and conflict his new position will invite. I gotta hand it to him, the Black Moons project was a stroke of genius when understood through the framework of his master plan. He would've turned the world into something out of Fist of the North Star.

Having said this, I think when Bison inevitably returns he will be more old fashioned and will evoke a Bison from his earlier days pre-Shadaloo. Relying on himself completely instead of dumbass henchmen who can't seem to do anything right.

Anyway I've been in a LOTR binge because of the new show... This is totally how Bison should be revealed in SF6!

2:22

7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Does Antonio Inoki exist in Street Fighter?

Same way SF have Pulk Hogen instead Hulk Hogan: Antler Inoki

Antler Inoki (アントラー猪木?) is a minor character from the Street Fighter series. He is a famous Japanese wrestler that had fought other famous wrestlers before he retired, such as SASA Nishiki (Vivian Nishiki's father), Meteorito Jr., and Mike Haggar. Having an unusual motion sense, he was an active giant killer. He was familiar with several foreign organizations, calling various wrestlers from different countries to challenge him. He has a fan club that delivers Antler goods every month.[1]

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/131856

Edited by CESTUS III
16 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Same way SF have Pulk Hogen instead Hulk Hogan: Antler Inoki

Antler Inoki (アントラー猪木?) is a minor character from the Street Fighter series. He is a famous Japanese wrestler that had fought other famous wrestlers before he retired, such as SASA Nishiki (Vivian Nishiki's father), Meteorito Jr., and Mike Haggar. Having an unusual motion sense, he was an active giant killer. He was familiar with several foreign organizations, calling various wrestlers from different countries to challenge him. He has a fan club that delivers Antler goods every month.[1]

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/131856

He maintained his rivalry with Giant Baba. That's awesome

9 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Capcom just love this kind of stuff, we have bunch of sighty modified name pro-wrestling/fighters/martial arts figures that are SF world counterpart

Antler Inoki -> Antonio Inoki

Pulk Hogen -> Hulk Hogan

Demon Machami -> Devil Masami

Like Bernardo -> Mike Bernardo

Kamo Leopoldo -> Kimo Leopoldo

Plus if we want to use jap names of shadakings, Mike Bison -> Mike Tyson... and even if we switch to western SF, we still have SF1 Mike lol

This without count huge amount of much looser wink at real existing figures without need the slighty name-change gimmick 😄

11 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

More Slammasters characters should be playable in SF honestly. There's some designs in there they could tweak and make interesting. I'd like to see them confirm if Gunloc is actually related to Guile or not 

More? We never had one 😄

There's copyright kind of problems related to SNSM, it seems the characters can be mentioned but they can't be showed, with SFA2 Ken stage exception

Notice Capcom back to SFV even managed to do cards for SFEX cast, likely because they was already in talk to collaborate a bit (we got SFEX dlc costumes), but we never got the cards/profiles for SNSM characters aside Haggar who's a special case as he's born as Final Fight capcom character first

We just have bunch of canon links to SF world

Biff- appear in Ken's stage, know Zangief

Stingray- had same Master as El Fuerte

Gunloc- Hinted to be related to Guile, possibly he's also implied to be https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Blade

Titanic Tim- was Birdie's tag team partner

Jumbo- lost to Rog in a tournament where Rog and Alex competed (Alex won the tournament)

Ortega- appear in Ken's stage, Zangief mention him comparing Gill's power to Ortega's

Personally a link i would like to see being made would be see Capcom say that The Wraith achieved his powers starting with same kind of Yoga of Dhalsim, but got corrupted... essentially some sort of of corruption of the ki just like SnH or Psycho Power

https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/The_Wraith

11 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Actually there's nothing that points towards that. The original Japanese text says Inoki is a 大物キラー Ōmono killer, "BIG NAME killer", not specifically a GIANT killer. So he could be rival with a still unnamed SF version of Giant Baba, but they didn't say that anywhere.
I'm almost tempted to start a thread just for the single moves and references that countless characters took from Inoki. He was everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

5 hours ago, HD-Man said:

More Slammasters characters should be playable in SF honestly. There's some designs in there they could tweak and make interesting. I'd like to see them confirm if Gunloc is actually related to Guile or not 

Many have been asking for this specially me in SFV.

Wraith was one of the characters I have been asking since SFV Season ONE DLC in both SRK and Capcom Unity

No one really mentioned Wraith before much him all over SRK SFV threads and posted his potential Movelist, V-skills and V-Triggers

I'm always been into Slammasters characters than RS characters into SF

But here is the problem with Slammasters

Here is something about Gunloc and Slammaster

lacwnUN.png

In the actual live action game the name Gunloc is actually mentioned

But in his recent CFN profile they only hinted Slammaster Gunloc as Blade from SFMovie liveAction game as his CFN profile but never acknowledge nor mentioned him

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/130306?lang=en

5ZeppoC.png

I have been deducing this from several thread storythreads in SRK that

cestus argued and debated me that I am wrong because of the appearance of a SLAMMASTER character in SFA2/SFZ2 Ken's Stage, as a weighing proof

Which is false because those were from a different time that Alpha2 that was 1996. Not all is agreements are lifetime and there are things that expire. Some are just because of connection between certain people not by companies that was a thing in 90s.

Here's what I think 

1.) that relationship of usage might have under a certain terms or agreement. 

2.) that using certain works might be negotiated by a certain person that was in Capcom that time but not in Capcom later on

3.) Some new people in Capcom didn't bother to approach and clarify to the Illustrators of FONS Tetsuo Hara about the extent of using his artworks

a.)  because they didn't bothered in wrestling games anymore and focus entirely FGs

b.) Or they think that it might cost them or something 

So what are my weighing proof that there were clear unresolved issues ?

Before SFV Season 5, there were no cameo of any Slammaster ever again other than name mentioning of some character but not appearance that time.

1.)  A single SLAMMASTERS game never appeared at any collection from PSX-PS3 era

Even classic games like Trojan, Hissho Buraiken and Gun Smoke appeared in several classic collection but no Slammaster in it. 

2.)  I am a merchandise collector and always gets updated with the merch that aren't available internationally, I have been active following what they are releasing. by that time before SFV Season 5, since early 2Ks there were no merch release for SLAMMASTERS compare to the other games like Trojan, Hissho Buraiken, Gun Smoke & others that isn't even known to the internationally. Even some 80s arcade games that isn't popular even gets merch in the late 2015-2020 compare to Slammasters.

3.) CrossOver games : This is not the Capcom Fighting AllStars or Marvel vs Capcom, but rather the exclusive japan release titles(2013 -2020) from appeared also in smart phones and other non-fighting games. They all have no-slammasters characters, yet some obscure games gets acknowledgement like sidearms dyne

0fFoHzB.png

Things do change for Slammaster onwards SFV Season 5 from Arcade1UP and Capcom Arcade Stadium

And they got some kind of a nod in SFV 

Hopefully someone NOW in Capcom would finally come to reach out with the illustrator and would find a good term to settle down for the usage of the character he influenced in designs

And other stuff but might be with Sega not with Tesuo Hara

Edited by Shakunetsu

The Slam Masters characters were created as work-for-hire for Capcom. There is NO WAY they don't own the rights to them. Castlevania Judgment had a manga (Death Note) designer and Dragon Quest has had one for decades (Toriyama of Dragon Ball fame) and neither have rights to the characters they designed for those games in a way that precludes the parent company from  using them.

This is not like Capcom making a Jojo game then no longer having the license to those characters. Slam Master characters are entirely owned by Capcom. Who designed them is irrelevant.

Why aren't they used? Because Capcom chooses not to. Simple as that.

This reminds me of the K9999 "Oh SNK can't use him or they'll get sued" urban legend that was never ever true. There should be nothing stopping Capcom from using Slam Master characters other than their own desire.

4 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

This reminds me of the K9999 "Oh SNK can't use him or they'll get sued" urban legend that was never ever true. There should be nothing stopping Capcom from using Slam Master characters other than their own desire.

The case of K9999 is more on just a "character" not recurring or absent, so it's not a comparable since NEST saga was over.

Kinda like the KOF MI and KOF EX Neo Blood, PROTAGONIST MAIN CHARACTERS that became irrelevant to a different saga.

And It's not an IP representation. K9999 appeared already in some crossover material countless times already. SNK had been doing that even in there countless Fighting Games not just KOF. 

Even with AOF, FF, RB from main Protags and main Antagonist.

SNK Games with K9999 "PLAYABLE IN IT" had released every now and then. So it's not really that SNK had problem with his character usage.

it's a different case from a "WHOLE entire IP" that remain trap for a long time in 16 bit era generation that never appeared in any multiple Capcom Collection up to the year 2020.

The Slam Masters characters were created as work-for-hire for Capcom. There is NO WAY they don't own the rights to them.

Yes it's a work for hire and they own the rights that they can even mentioned it BUT

The thing is that's kinda OFF to intentionally dodge one of the 90's titles like SLAMMASTER especially if we all know it had that special case compared to the other titles they had. It's not really just a matter of rights

There more obscure CAPCOM games from the 70s-80s arcade era gets more recognition and ports. there's no other beneficial or good reason to omit it's existence entirely.

That's why it's kinda off to Slammaster  to never made part on any Capcom Compilation Collection of Games from the year 2000 onwards before 2020. Thats too long like 2 decades and more to intentionally skip it and dodging it for a very SPECIAL CASE for an UNKNOWN REASON is very off.

The thing I'm pointing out is that they are just PLAYING SAFE and choose not to bother to settle clarification with it (in 2k-2020) because it's probably not worth the effort like it was before(90s). That's what I am saying is even before and now in previous thread in SRK. 

And yes they choose not to. because there is a reason for that.

Because it's kind off and weird to just say "Capcom chooses not to" or "Forget not to" that it only happens with SLAMMASTER

They are PLAYING SAFE during a time period (2k-2020) and possibly just avoiding a possible legal dispute even that was a work for hire. because it doesn't just end there. Contracts where a bit written differently in the 80s - 90s, Japan also has a different take on copyright laws compare to where I am and US. From here were like US copyright legalities. We all know there are many legal battles regarding BREACH OF CONTRACTS and some special kind of agreements in the 90s and 80s. 

The thing is we don't know what's in the contract and how it was written, the terms and condition they have agreed upon along with the extent of usage that's in the 90s.  It's more on the values of the person hired, the relationship with the person, how the contract is written and if it's cleared with both parties expectations. 

There are history that some filed because they thought that the image will be just used for this unit only or for this version of game only. And these are under a WORK FOR HIRE conditions.

And also asking someone with a big name sometimes also ask them for a special condition in return. It's not really just a matter of rights. 

That's why there are cases that some attempts to raise dispute like a bit of misinformation on the usage range and expectation of the usage. There are also even some that tries take advantage loopholes on contracts and use it to file as a dispute.  While some are expecting it to be settled in the background because court battles are costly.

Contracts in the 2ks had been written better and had evolve better nowadays than before because many had learned from the mistake of the past (80s-90s).  

Castlevania Judgment had a manga (Death Note) designer and Dragon Quest has had one for decades (Toriyama of Dragon Ball fame) and neither have rights to the characters they designed for those games in a way that precludes the parent company from  using them.

For Castlevania Judgement.

Most of the characters were recurring cast from other Castlevania Games. So they own the full rights of all the characters by default. Those characters in Castlevania Judgement are still recurring characters in every recent released of Castlevania like Alucard for example that is in recent OVA, Mobile games and etc. And it's in the 2ks which written contracts for work for hire had evolve better. Plus It's a dormant IP already and it isn't getting any rereleased it's stuck in the 2008-2009.

As for Dragon Quest those are maintained recurring regular IP by Enix that they continue communication with Toriyama until they probably cleared what the condition and extent of usage. Both parties probably finalize and come to a agreement longtime ago. 

Both were a very different case with Slammaster that is a dormant IP stuck in a 90s written contract, that they probably wouldn't risk to clear thing for just a small cameo in a year early 2000 game or any crossover in the later titles in the early 2000 nor any crossover games they release from 2k to 2020. 

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

The Slam Masters characters were created as work-for-hire for Capcom. There is NO WAY they don't own the rights to them. Castlevania Judgment had a manga (Death Note) designer and Dragon Quest has had one for decades (Toriyama of Dragon Ball fame) and neither have rights to the characters they designed for those games in a way that precludes the parent company from  using them.

This is not like Capcom making a Jojo game then no longer having the license to those characters. Slam Master characters are entirely owned by Capcom. Who designed them is irrelevant.

Situation is'nt necessary so simple and straightforward

Sure a company can chose offer to just buy completely artist's creation and, if he accept, company will be free to do forever and ever whatever they want with it

This option it's the one that give the artist the highest one-shot money, but it's not necessary the only way a contract can be done

During negotiations it's not only defined the $$$, but also what the client can do with the artist's creation

I find pretty likely that use SNSM characters in SF it's not covered  by the contract Capcom had with Hara

Capcom does'nt seems to dislike SNSM characters, actually they even mentioned them here and there to make them part of SF canon

Seems to me that aside Ken SFA2 stage and an old poster art (in both case very very small cameos), they dodged any chance to use them... not as SF chars, not as DLC costumes, not as cameo showing up next to SFers

They did'nt even appear here https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/list/cat4763

Even if would have made lot of sense as essentially it's some sort of encyclopedia of SF canon world (even including SFEX as extented canon), SNSM cast would have made LOT of sense, but would required to have them appear in the profile card

1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

Situation is'nt necessary so simple and straightforward

Sure a company can chose offer to just buy completely artist's creation and, if he accept, company will be free to do forever and ever whatever they want with it

This option it's the one that give the artist the highest one-shot money, but it's not necessary the only way a contract can be done

During negotiations it's not only defined the $$$, but also what the client can do with the artist's creation

I find pretty likely that use SNSM characters in SF it's not covered  by the contract Capcom had with Hara

Capcom does'nt seems to dislike SNSM characters, actually they even mentioned them here and there to make them part of SF canon

Seems to me that aside Ken SFA2 stage and an old poster art (in both case very very small cameos), they dodged any chance to use them... not as SF chars, not as DLC costumes, not as cameo showing up next to SFers

They did'nt even appear here https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/list/cat4763

Even if would have made lot of sense as essentially it's some sort of encyclopedia of SF canon world (even including SFEX as extented canon), SNSM cast would have made LOT of sense, but would required to have them appear in the profile card

Work for hire is straight forward. An artist signs a contract knowing their work will belong to the company and not them. Usually conditions in where they seek the artist permission are courtesies and nothing else.

16 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Work for hire is straight forward. An artist signs a contract knowing their work will belong to the company and not them. Usually conditions in where they seek the artist permission are courtesies and nothing else.

It's always been still depending on artist and also how the contract agreement is written.

The same as not all employees hired by the employers had the same written contracts and also not all the employers that hires the same position had offers the same wages and benefits. That's also with work for hires.

Tetsuo Hara is no ordinary person, he would probably had his own terms  and conditions, if someone would want to work with him

Like I said :

5 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

And also asking someone with a big name sometimes also ask them for a special condition in return. It's not really just a matter of rights. 

I don't really see it in something in-general or a universal thing specially if your something BIG in the creative industry

Even many twitter illustrators nowadays had their own terms and condition to what extent their art could be used,  which varied from each other twitter illustrators do, if a COMPANY would approach them to hire one them to work for them.

I don't think that it's Mr Tetsuo Hara would be the one to approach Capcom, and be the one UNDER the terms of Capcom

It's likely more of Capcom would ask and request for Mr Tetsuo Hara to draw for them.

That's why some others simply just go IN-HOUSE or approach a OUTSOURCING Company under a art direction or an ART DIRECTOR which pretty much falls on SIMPLE CONTRACTS like you guys are mentioning and expecting which is TOTAL CONTROL and NO Restriction of usage. The sort of FOREVER Usage.

For some like Tetsuo Hara, I don't think that's just simple unless they had a friend or a someone at Capcom had close relationship with him. The guy was already big in the 80s

From what I have known even famous game designers Demand special conditions also, same ask big comic artist and even veteran Hollywood Stars 

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Key is what the contract say, wich is the result of preliminary negotiations

Not sure how it works in USA (i'm assuming you're american), but artist work for hire for how i know it may end up having bunch of different conditions depending on the contract Company and Artist agreed to sign after negotiations

-Artist may sell 100% his work to the company (highest pay he can get) and have no more rights afterward, no matter what

-Artist may sell it so the company can use it for the specific product they agreed on, but have an agreement that guarantee him additional $$$ or a % on future use of his work on different ways afterwards (in this case like a sequel, related merchandise, appearance on other media etc)

-Artist may sell it so the company can use it for the specific product they agreed on, but have no contract agreement about further use beyond that. In this case if the company want use it further they have to contact artist to expand their previous agreement, as if they don't they will be at risk of be sued by the artist for having used his creation beyond agreed limitaions

Now the common solution is indeed the 1st, as the artist usually have little negotiation power and would accept sell everything to the company as long it's not underpaid offer (and maybe even if is), because he expect otherwise he would just lose the chance and somebody else will take it

But if artist is a known name like Hara (or just confident his work have great potential) negotiation will likely include very clear and defined limitations about what company can do with it, and anything outside that fall into 2nd and 3rd area

And again, add how Capcom clearly did'nt use SNSM designs in any way in all these years despite multiple SNSM characters are linked in some way to SF and part of official canon, the fact they even dodged them in SFV ecyclopedia is at least suspect

9 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

The case of K9999 is more on just a "character" not recurring or absent, so it's not a comparable since NEST saga was over.

Kinda like the KOF MI and KOF EX Neo Blood, PROTAGONIST MAIN CHARACTERS that became irrelevant to a different saga.

And It's not an IP representation. K9999 appeared already in some crossover material countless times already. SNK had been doing that even in there countless Fighting Games not just KOF. 

Even with AOF, FF, RB from main Protags and main Antagonist.

SNK Games with K9999 "PLAYABLE IN IT" had released every now and then. So it's not really that SNK had problem with his character usage.

it's a different case from a "WHOLE entire IP" that remain trap for a long time in 16 bit era generation that never appeared in any multiple Capcom Collection up to the year 2020.

Totally untrue. K9999 went so far as to be replaced in KOF2002UM and it was a PROMINENT rumor/urban legend that he couldn't be used because they would be sued. It is nothing like KOF MI or Neo Blood. Nothing at all. So much so that in UM we got another entirely different version of the character (Nameless). They even kept K9999 out of anniversary books (which I own) and off their website which further fueled the rumor.

K9999 got less mention than Slam Masters.

Then it turns out the answer was "LOL we didn't like his design much...here's Krohnen" (which makes me CRAZY hype since I'm maybe the worlds biggest K9999 mark).

So yes the comparison is quite apt in that I'm comparing rumor-mongering based on literally nothing at all.

The thing is that's kinda OFF to intentionally dodge one of the 90's titles like SLAMMASTER especially if we all know it had that special case compared to the other titles they had. It's not really just a matter of rights

There more obscure CAPCOM games from the 70s-80s arcade era gets more recognition and ports. there's no other beneficial or good reason to omit it's existence entirely.

That's why it's kinda off to Slammaster  to never made part on any Capcom Compilation Collection of Games from the year 2000 onwards before 2020. Thats too long like 2 decades and more to intentionally skip it and dodging it for a very SPECIAL CASE for an UNKNOWN REASON is very off.

The thing I'm pointing out is that they are just PLAYING SAFE and choose not to bother to settle clarification with it (in 2k-2020) because it's probably not worth the effort like it was before(90s). That's what I am saying is even before and now in previous thread in SRK. 

No. Slam Master has no name recognition. NONE. It was a non-event in the United States and was not some powerhouse in Japan either nor anyone else. It was an arcade game. It did okay. It is only "Off" to you because we're all giant Capcom nerds here. There is zero reason to re-release it since there is zero demand AND it doesn't fit into any of the collections they've released in a nice way. It isn't graphically gorgeous, it isn't highly acclaimed, it is not some cult favorite or lost gem. Nothing. There's lots of games like that that don't get re-released. It is what it is.

There is no reason to "PLAY SAFE" with something they entirely own in every conceivable way. In fact, the ONLY thing they could ever be concerned about is how close they might think some of the characters are to real people. That's it. Full stop. It has nothing to do with Tetsuo Hara.

As for Dragon Quest those are maintained recurring regular IP by Enix that they continue communication with Toriyama until they probably cleared what the condition and extent of usage. Both parties probably finalize and come to a agreement longtime ago. 

Dude you are totally just inventing "Oh they probably do this blahblahblah"

No. They don't. Period. Full stop.

That is not how 'for hire' works. Have you ever been a contractor? Capcom was not about to create a game and go "Hey manga artist, we want to hire you for art for this game to make some characters...and if the series is SUPER SUCCESSFUL we will owe you money IN PERPETUITY FOREVER if we want to use them again"

That makes zero sense. Capcom would not exist as a company today if they were that brain-dead stupid as a company. It makes no sense at all. Less than none. It is diametrically opposite to how this pays out in reality.

Both were a very different case with Slammaster that is a dormant IP stuck in a 90s written contract, that they probably wouldn't risk to clear thing for just a small cameo in a year early 2000 game or any crossover in the later titles in the early 2000 nor any crossover games they release from 2k to 2020. 

A contract you have utterly invented to justify why some title with mediocre-or-worse performance with mediocre-or-worse character designs aren't being brought back...except when they are...and then we have to make up a reason why it was okay THAT TIME. It makes no sense. It's just layering explanations and suppositions on top of each other.

You want to know how we know they're owned by Capcom?

Gunloc is mentioned several times in other things including the SF Movie The Game and elsewhere. Did you see a credit to Hara in the credit for that game? No. Then he doesn't own it. Full stop. If they mentioned the character and it was owned by someone else they had contractual obligations with, even that mention would have to come with a credit.

Unless we invent a reason why that isn't the case...as we keep doing for all of these exceptions instead of just using Occam's Razor (ie: Why haven't we seen them? Capcom doesn't care to do anything with them.)

5 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

You find it likely based on literally nothing

It is absolutely NOT likely. At all. Not even slightly.

3 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Even many twitter illustrators nowadays had their own terms and condition to what extent their art could be used,  which varied from each other twitter illustrators do, if a COMPANY would approach them to hire one them to work for them.

And if you think those twitter illustrators have any idea wtf they're talking about OR that they would dictate to a company like Marvel (or anyone else) what the terms would be then you are high af. Put down the crack pipe. 😜 Twitter is not real life. 5% of twitter is morons and the other 95% are bots.

3 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

I don't think that it's Mr Tetsuo Hara would be the one to approach Capcom, and be the one UNDER the terms of Capcom

Capcom would approach Hara and contract him. Period. That's it. It's real simple.

This was 1993 Capcom. Do you realize what a massive POWERHOUSE 1993 Capcom was? This is 2 years after the release of SFII, billions of dollars in revenue Capcom. This is creators of the biggest arcade game since the height of old arcades Capcom at the height of their power. 1993 Capcom could dictate the way arcade operators had to bang their wives, if they wanted to and both the operator and his wife would say "Yes, sir, Mr. Capcom. Thank you, sir."

Hara would have been thrilled to work with them. Hara and HnK were specks of dust in the grand scheme of things compared to SFII-era Capcom. Yes, the company was built by a bunch of Hara fanboys taking his ideas...but by 1993 Hara would have been BLESSED to work on anything resembling a major Capcom arcade release.

Simple as.

1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

Totally untrue. K9999 went so far as to be replaced in KOF2002UM and it was a PROMINENT rumor/urban legend that he couldn't be used because they would be sued. It is nothing like KOF MI or Neo Blood. Nothing at all. So much so that in UM we got another entirely different version of the character (Nameless). They even kept K9999 out of anniversary books (which I own) and off their website which further fueled the rumor.

K9999 got less mention than Slam Masters.

Then it turns out the answer was "LOL we didn't like his design much...here's Krohnen" (which makes me CRAZY hype since I'm maybe the worlds biggest K9999 mark).

I may go wrong with K9999 on points of his mentioning and limitation, My point is his just an absent antagonist character like those in MI and Neo Blood. I never really think that hard on him 

because I'm not following every detail on K9999 and I never really bother by his absent other than I see just like the other main protagonist and antagonist that never been mentioned again because there a lot in SNK Fighting Game Character with case.

I never looked upon the books and website.

but my point here is that is very strange and weird for a "WHOLE IP" with missing a merch, port or representation for almost 2 decades and more. There is always a good reason with that other than WE JUST DONT in 2 decades more until 2020 beyond. 

It's not just something like 2000 to 2020 it's a bit longer than that.

I know some case of that HAPPENED with ANIME and OAV where there the studio are ashamed with creation and starts to written off every association they had with that title but sooner acknowledge it after it had some sort of relevance. I'm not saying they are ashamed with SLAMMASTER but there might be a good reason they never intended to release in any merch, representation/cameo in an allstargame/crossovergame or ported the game.

1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

No. Slam Master has no name recognition. NONE. It was a non-event in the United States and was not some powerhouse in Japan either nor anyone else. It was an arcade game. It did okay. It is only "Off" to you because we're all giant Capcom nerds here. There is zero reason to re-release it since there is zero demand AND it doesn't fit into any of the collections they've released in a nice way. It isn't graphically gorgeous, it isn't highly acclaimed, it is not some cult favorite or lost gem. Nothing. There's lots of games like that that don't get re-released. It is what it is.

I do agree because it the same here, It will never compete against the success and popularity of WWF WrestleFest back then in the arcade. And people would had drop other wrestling games that aren't popular for Fighting Games. 

Yet the point of "zero reason to re-release it since there is zero demand" the thing is if you look various recent collection before Capcom ARCADE Stadium. There are a lot of more  into "zero reason to re-release it since there is zero demand" because they are from a farther generation that are generic titles that isn't also powerhouse but also in an 80s generation very far and probably doing worst than Slammaster. Most of them are generic clones

I understand Bionic Commando, 1942 series, GNG series but a some off to intentionally not to include Slammasters. 

For example the PS2 Capcom Classics Collection has 2 VOLUMES

V1

1942    1984/12
1943: The Battle of Midway    1987/06
1943 Kai    1988/06
Bionic Commando    1987/03
Commando    1985/05
Exed Exes    1985/02
Final Fight    1989/12
Forgotten Worlds    1988/07
Ghosts 'n Goblins    1985/09
Ghouls 'n Ghosts    1988/12
Gun.Smoke    1985/11
Legendary Wings    1986/11
Mercs    1990/04
Pirate Ship Higemaru    1984/09
Section Z    1985/12
SonSon    1984/07
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior    1991/02
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition    1992/04
Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting    1992/12
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES)    1991/10
Trojan    1986/04
Vulgus    1984/05

V2

Super Street Fighter II Turbo    1994/02
Eco Fighters    1993/12
Quiz & Dragons: Capcom Quiz Game    1992/09
Varth: Operation Thunderstorm    1992/07
Captain Commando    1991/11
Knights of the Round    1991/11
Block Block    1991/10
The King of Dragons    1991/09
Three Wonders    1991/07
Magic Sword    1990/07
Mega Twins    1990/06
1941: Counter Attack    1990/02
Strider    1989/03
Last Duel    1988/07
Tiger Road    1987/11
Black Tiger    1987/09
Street Fighter    1987/09
Avengers    1987/02
Hyper Dyne Side Arms    1986/12
The Speed Rumbler

The thing is it's not just the PS2 Collection but the others as well

And I know that there is a point that some games didn't got PORTS in some collections but they got CAMEOs, Representation & MERCH

It's kinda weird coincidence for a long time, I'm just in PS2 not yet in every collection

3 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Gunloc is mentioned several times in other things including the SF Movie The Game and elsewhere. Did you see a credit to Hara in the credit for that game? No. Then he doesn't own it. Full stop. If they mentioned the character and it was owned by someone else they had contractual obligations with, even that mention would have to come with a credit.

The name mentioning isn't the problem here we all know that they are mentioned here and there, was the visual design of the characters 

There is no reason to "PLAY SAFE" with something they entirely own in every conceivable way. In fact, the ONLY thing they could ever be concerned about is how close they might think some of the characters are to real people. That's it. Full stop. It has nothing to do with Tetsuo Hara.

That's the only good reason.

Because there is NO REASON also  for them just only been mentioned as NAMES compare to the other obscure titles from a far generation.

It's totally OFF when Slammaster

X = Cameo

X = Ports

X = Representation

X = Merch

This is for a game from 90s and intentionally missed out for 2 decades and more?

And if you think those twitter illustrators have any idea wtf they're talking about OR that they would dictate to a company like Marvel (or anyone else) what the terms would be then you are high af. Put down the crack pipe. 😜 Twitter is not real life. 5% of twitter is morons and the other 95% are bots.

It's not the case that marvel would ask those twitter illustrators. Marvel wouldn't reach out to ordinary people without proven successful works before.

It's a matter of PORTFOLIO.  I just used a freelance twitter illustrator as someone already have terms on whom them want to work with and to what extent their work can be used. That they won't work with if the company/contractor wouldn't agree on what there terms are

It's who would REACH OUT to whom, the one that REACH OUT is the one that mostly get the privilege and advantage on dictating the TERMS regarding working condition. It's the same thing if your even buying a company, offers do turned down even it was from a giant. 

If I'm a freelancer but already big in the industry( has a huge portfolio of previous successful hit projects, Or I am someone working in a competing company

Then Marvel would reach out to me and ask me to work for them, I would demand because they are the one reaching to me, IF they are just approaching me and dictating me everything and I feel uncomfortable with it. I would turn it down even it was marvel.

Okay, let's go with your example even it wasn't the point.  Okay if your a Freelance TWITTER ILLUSTRATOR and Marvel approach you? You'll ask demands if you find the offer is not in terms on what are comfortable with.  And if a contract is breach then that's where people SUE big companies even that is marvel.  The point is tetsuo hara might not be a huge as Capcom but the him as an ILLUSTRATOR is already not equivalent to an ordinary Twitter illustrator. He has a successful portfolio his equivalent to a successful game designer, veteran award winning hollywood actor and a etc.

That is not how 'for hire' works. Have you ever been a contractor? Capcom was not about to create a game and go "Hey manga artist, we want to hire you for art for this game to make some characters...and if the series is SUPER SUCCESSFUL we will owe you money IN PERPETUITY FOREVER if we want to use them again"

That makes zero sense. Capcom would not exist as a company today if they were that brain-dead stupid as a company. It makes no sense at all. Less than none. It is diametrically opposite to how this pays out in reality.

I don't need to be a contractor, this is a common knowledge for someone famous and had a successful portfolio and has big name

I have been with people like photographers, models, artist and I myself ask special condition to agree on my terms if a company wants me to work with their project. I demand compare to those that has lesser experienced than me, I ask special privilege's because I have something to offer exceptionally.  

If your telling me that Tetsuo O Hara has the same contracts, with those in-house artist and they just do something and the difference is only the pay, successful famous people ask for more.

3 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

This was 1993 Capcom. Do you realize what a massive POWERHOUSE 1993 Capcom was? This is 2 years after the release of SFII, billions of dollars in revenue Capcom.

It's not You vs Marvel, it's about what MARVEL would offer you and if you like it. Then what can you ask Marvel more, And some if Marvel violates their agreement and expectation they sue them. 

Some actors ask to return for a role they would demand a role to be a good one or want to revise a script

Some actors ask for a cameo would demand for a higher pay.

Some actors ask for a villain role then he demand percentage from the toy and merch sale

Some directors ask sales revenue from the film

Some comic book artist would ask sales revenue percentage 

Some game designers would ask sales revenue percentage

Some animators would also ask sales revenue percentage  

There are some that would turned down stable jobs from big corporation if there request weren't granted. because they already had good portfolio so they would demand.

And those that didn't get what they want starts there own competing small studio that is history.  I need to elaborate. The point here is Tetsuo Hara not the same contract with the in-house if he was approach with.  Him a legendary status mangaka would ask something if he is approach.

Some that I knew preferred to be freelance because of valuing time and freedom than money, so they demand money and working conditions

So your contention is that, for a brand new unproven IP, the (at the time) biggest powerhouse arcade game creator in the world went to Tetsuo Hara and agreed to let him keep ownership rights to the characters he would create for that new IP which would make sure they were NEVER fully owned by Capcom and would have to pay Hara for future usage?

Dude there is zero point zero percent chance of that happening. Ever. It defies all logic and makes no sense.

Edited by YagamiFire
4 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

So your contention is that, for a brand new unproven IP, the (at the time) biggest powerhouse arcade game creator in the world went to Tetsuo Hara and agreed to let him keep ownership rights to the characters he would create for that new IP which would make sure they were NEVER fully owned by Capcom and would have to pay Hara for future usage?

Dude there is zero point zero percent chance of that happening. Ever. It defies all logic and makes no sense.

If they were talking about music ownership I can understand. Japanese law when it comes to music is wacky. Square will need Koichi Sugiyama if they want to use any of his compositions for Dragon Quest. Sega had issues with Sonic 3 because of the music. It doesn't have the amount of re-releases of the other Mega Drive/Genesis games because of it.

I don't recall this ever being the case with a company IP.

6 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

The thing is like I said I don't know the contract is, but I don't think Mr Tetsuo Hara wouldn't have some sort of special terms or do have his own term. I don't think that Slammaster was just a case of they simply just didn't do so because that's it, It's not just a port situation, cameo, crossover situation or a merch situation. It's not just 2 or 3 it's ALL OF THE ABOVE in 2 decades till 2020, there is something wrong with that. Obviously they are dodging something or playing safe with the IP.

While other 80s arcade games that weren't even appealing to the 90s generations still mix with Street Fighter and Final Fight in a compilation collection over Slammaster, along with merch, all star representation and etc.

Back then breach of contract, asking royalties, asking part of sales of revenue,  2 years of this toys sales those were demands. I don't think that they simply just didn't do so and Mr Tetsuo would be okay with plain and simple in 90s. OR there were things the agreement HASN'T COVERED or cleared/clarified, So Capcom for the last 2 decade went safer route. The more bigger the company and you having a successful portfolio you would really demand especially in 90s.

SF EX and etc even this PIRATE made it into CFN Profile lol

higemaru02.jpg?h=90b2a1856fb5ba7f43a7a09

Edited by Shakunetsu

Chun-Li's winquote to Guile

Elwg7b8.png

Chun-Li to Guile"It feels like my techniques are a bit sharper than yours. Perhaps it's just one of those days?"

I believe this winquote displays more about Chun-Li's personality and some subtle hints with her and Guile's partnership together, rather than revealing any kind of lore or story info.

Interestingly enough, Chun-Li's and Guile's winquote to each other both mention Chun-Li's techniques. 

"Guile to Chun-Li: "You've retired from investigation work? The caliber of your techniques say otherwise."

In both, Chun-Li's fighting style and techniques are still going strong, even after retirement and opening up a Kung Fu school. And it absolutely should. Even if her purpose isn't to pursue justice anymore, she still got to be at the top of her game for people to take her serious as a Sifu and community leader. (How many students do you have at your Dojo, Dan?!?!?!)

Both in regards to gameplay design and with the martial art, Guile's and Chun-Li's fighting style and moves could not be more fundamentally different. Guile's tech may be simple on the surface with Sonic Booms, Blades (which is an interesting choice in Chun using the word "sharper"), and Somersaults. But Guile puts on a lot of muscle and power into those techniques.

On the flipside, Chun-Li's kung fu is a mishmash of styles, differing degrees of difficulty, power, speed, movement, etc. Which is reflective in Chun being a much more complex and technical character than Guile. And with much more styles and techniques to constantly hone, Chun-Li staying sharp after all these years, on top of taking care of Li-Fen and running her community, is nothing short of impressive in Guile's eyes.

The final part I want to mention is the 2nd part of the quote. I interpret the "it's just one of those days" part of the quote as Chun-Li poking fun at Guile. Guile is probably one of the most serious fighters of the whole cast. Where as you see Chun-Li waving at the crowd in the pre-versus Walkouts, and having her "I Did it!" win pose back. So after working together for so long, you'd think Guile would be able to crack a smile at Chun-Li once in a while. I can imagine since Chun-Li is more of the fun-loving character between the two, she's had her chances of playful/witty banter at Guile.

Part of me wants to interpret Chun-Li is also mocking Guile that his moves aren't as sharp anymore as he's also getting up there in age. Maybe Guile's moves is lacking abit because he's also getting up there in age?

I imagine that the original "Family Man" still goes back to his family to go back to. But everyone is getting older now, even Guile's daughter. I'm curious if she's grown up and in high school or college now. With Daddy's little girl growing up, I'm curious if he has to deal with a rebellious side of his daughter, or if he tries to spend as much time with her as possible before she eventually leaves for college or gets married. I'm really curious to see Guile's family life outside of Street Fighting. Maybe that family life has opened up a soft side of Guile we might get to see in SF6? 

Overall, good quote from Chun to Guile. I like it. I def feel I tend to overanalyze a little bit on these, but Chun and Guile have been working together for YEARS now. And the fact they are still friends to this day does say a lot about them as characters, and gives us much reason to question about things.

1 hour ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Chun-Li is one of those people I can always imagine training in some form. That's probably why her technique never diminishes.

I know it was said that Guile trained very hard before the World Warrior tournament, but it's not something I can picture him doing on his downtime. 

Actually i think Guile never quitted training as part of his soldier routine, based on SF6 moves i consider him at highest technical level he's ever been:

Spoiler

-He's improving his Sonic Boom technique, wich now have a second form too (double "perfect!" version)...

Apparently he still did'nt mastered the new form consistently (one can get single boom, while double is for perfect imput), but still a sign he's improving from his past self

-He improved his Sonic Blade, now seems to have greated control over it as he can do it in various ways: at least 2, normal and EX, and possibly he can regulate it based on punch used too

-Sonic Hurricane now have also an anti-air version

-In his Lv3 Super, we see now he can also throw an huge, long distance vertical boom

Considering Guile is ever been the most slow-evolving char of SF, he's as good as we can expect him to be lol

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

Where did Luke get his scars? Was it mentioned anywhere?

After leaving the army in SFV he became a contractor for a PMC (private military company) so he surely seen some action on the battlefield, his SF6 MMA istructor gimmick seems to be just his normal quiet job for when he's not hired for mercenary shit

It's also possible he got some in Metro City streets too, considering as our istructor in World Tour he suggest we should leave the gym and get some real fighting experience in teh streetz

Most of his new scars seems to be kinda long blade cuts too, guess could have got some both vs soldiers or criminals

But i'm more inclined to say battefield, as his job it's probably to jump in the middle of bunch of dangerous well trained soldiers and fuck them up with punches lol

Despite very urban design, when on mission current Luke is similar kind of char to SNK's Ralf Jones, probably just without the camaraderie (even if Guile could be a good Clark lol)

Edited by CESTUS III
3 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

hvAioN2.png

Ryu to Guile: "Your edge hasn't dulled a bit. I trust mine hasn't either?"

I don't believe this was posted yet.

A complete contrast to what Chun-Li says about Guile.

Tbh feels coherent

Chun-Li to Guile"It feels like my techniques are a bit sharper than yours. Perhaps it's just one of those days?"

Chun if anything seems to consider Guile to be equal to her on technical level* to the point for a match where she seems to have bit of edge in terms of technique, she wonder if Guile is having a day where he's not at his best

Btw i ever liked see Ryu admire Guile's skill, considering Ryu is more defensive char than Ken and Guile is considered a defense specialist in SF world

In SFV Ryu after WINNING still seem to consider Guile's defense to be superior:

「相変わらずの隙の無さだったな。俺も精進しなくては。」 "Still got that perfect guard, huh? I need to work a bit on my own."

*wich is surprising considering if anything Guile having bit less technique than Chun could be just normal state of things, after all he's a different kind of character that ever felt like he mixed a great but not incredible technique (Nash was more talented/skilled at same style) to being very strong/tough/hardworker, and his fight style is definitely more strenght oriented than Chun's one