Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I just want to give @Shakunetsuprops for being the MVP this past week. I appreciate all your insight. You made Luke more interesting than Capcom.

I think I mentioned before in previous in the SFV thread or in SRK's SFV thread I joined the contest with Nash and didn't bother posting it online because it wasn't chosen anyway here in asia.

The Stars in Luke reminds me of my entry for the costume contest june last year, It was a radical redesign of Cyborg Nash and it wasn't the same thing because the original was really bland. 

I only shown it to some of my friends that are also a SF collectors the other one was a Sakura collector and a Bison collector that also joined the contest, because they first gave me a pic of their entry and ask some feedback. So I wanted to be fair so I have shown them my entry even they never asked if I joined in the contest, but I didn't fully shown the gimmick of my costume because I wanted it to standout. I even made it to utilize the secret costume code.

When I let them see my costumes, As I remember, I already submitted the second and last update of the same design that I made a slight revision because I simplified the symbols. Our concept and gimmicks are different. 

I made it to had tons of Shadaloo reference across his body but he hide it. While Luke is more with USA and STARS.  

The subtle CPS logo in Luke also reminds me of another reference I subtlety added in my costume, which is a reference to Nash debut.

It was kinda contrast because the other was flesh and mine was a cyborg but the symbols of the stars has slight similarity on placement on the top of the body. the difference was on side of the head and chest placement of the symbols. Mine doesn't had a tattoo but uses lots of cryptic symbolism in his body about shadaloo.

If Luke is kinda Capcom Mascot in SF, mine was more of a Shadaloo's walking insignia in SF but very subtle at first. it not entirely realize compare to Falke or Ed and tons of Bison costumes, He doesn't also look like a costume for Bison.

I also design the costume that in first look, if it would had been given a backstory it would be closest to a Kamen Rider impression, but  it doesn't look like a Kamen Rider or part of the Kamen Rider franchise. My initial plans was Zeku that would be changing and doing henshin but it lacks flavor to fit his character backstory other than he can change in into another form in game mechanically. And I realized someone in Japan might already doing that better than me. I have seen one later an entry in japan when everyone else was already posting.

I know  I have mentioned many times that I was a fan of Tokusatsu, especially the Kamen Rider series. I used to collect a lot of Kamen Rider from early era 90-2010 era but Now I only keep Kamen Rider Blade King Form. And i have also post some references with some design i have seen. My entry doesn't look like a skull because there are already too many skull face in toku and anime.

And I also did many of fanfic in how to return Nash, I always wanted to find a way that Nash would return or salvage him from being a Frankenstein like.

I'm no tixielix or like richard suwono because I'm not an illustrator, but I know I got an edge because I am someone that create, implement and manage art direction, branding and enforce style guides to other designers and medium the company has an identity on it. Combine with being an SF geek to lore, reference I know could find a way. I even planned to commission the costume to an illustrator at first, because I don't draw anymore even and didn't have a tablet. Be I did finish it drawing and coloring it with a mouse in photoshop and illustrator.

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

It would be the perfect replacement over the now dead Marvel franchise. I can't imagine Dante functioning in any FG that isn't crazy like MvC.

Imagine the fanservice, music, stages, DLC and roster with no restrictions from Disney, Marvel, SNK, Namco.

It's called Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Also, when it came with Namco and SNK, Capcom were not restricted with what they can do with them. They were given free reign. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's called Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Also, when it came with Namco and SNK, Capcom were not restricted with what they can do with them. They were given free reign. 

Namco and SNK gave them full reign but it was mainly Street Fighter characters in SFxT and CVS. A well put together Capcom roster is better than whatever they could do with SNK/Namco. There's way more advantages doing a Capcom crossover with Marvels gameplay.

I just found out that the real EVO finals aren't happening till November and will be an in-person event. Given Luke is releasing in November, it's likely we'll get a trailer for him here (though it is late November so who knows).

That said, with Luke being a probable tease for SF6, I can't help but wonder if we'll get out first SF6 tease at EVO too along with Luke (or just the tease itself if Luke is already out). Given some people (myself included) thought the first likely chance of hearing about SF6 was at CC which is in February, it doesn't seem too out there tbh.

4 hours ago, Scotia said:

I just found out that the real EVO finals aren't happening till November and will be an in-person event. Given Luke is releasing in November, it's likely we'll get a trailer for him here (though it is late November so who knows).

That said, with Luke being a probable tease for SF6, I can't help but wonder if we'll get out first SF6 tease at EVO too along with Luke (or just the tease itself if Luke is already out). Given some people (myself included) thought the first likely chance of hearing about SF6 was at CC which is in February, it doesn't seem too out there tbh.

I doubt they'll tease SF6. They'll cannibalize their own product doing that. Who's gonna want to invest more in 5 if the next one is on the way?

17 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's likely not a big of enough of a sell or else they would have done it already. 

Right, right.   Cause Capcom, famous for always making the decision that makes the most business sense.

It's definitely a great financial decision to let the 2nd most popular fighting game format lay fallow because they can't find a suitably ill fitting IP to mash with.

10 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I doubt they'll tease SF6. They'll cannibalize their own product doing that. Who's gonna want to invest more in 5 if the next one is on the way?

Well, I bought the S5 pass as soon as they finally announced the last character wasn't some kind of Guest or Evil Ryu.

Edited by DarthEnderX
1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Right, right.   Cause Capcom, famous for always making the decision that makes the most business sense.

I don't see how Capcom not making a all Capcom fighter applies to this notion. They weren't satisfied with the 3D one and canned it. Fighting Jam is one of the most reviled games in their history. There's also no overwhelming demand from the FGC for such a game. They put more effort into getting MvC2 getting re-released then wanting an all Capcom game.

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Well, I bought the S5 pass as soon as they finally announced the last character wasn't some kind of Guest or Evil Ryu.

It's common for people to not want to invest more into a game when they know a new one is on the way. I didn't touch Ultra SF4 knowing that SF5 was coming. There was the outrage of MvC3 when Ultimate dropped five months after the vanilla version. If SF6 is on the horizon they need to keep quiet about it for the sake of SF5 still bringing in income.

14 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The people who are still playing SF5? Teasing 6 isn't going to make 5 disappear, it'll still be at least a year before it'll come out and people are gonna have to play something until then. Plus it would make a lot of sense for Capcom to drop a logo for SF6 and go "Hey, if you're excited for the next game there's a character coming to SF5 that will give you a tease towards it". That alone would make people go check Luke and SF5 out just to see what's going on with SF6. 

And I mean, Luke's already teased as being related to the next game so it's not like people will be shocked by it. Look at the headlines that came out when Luke got announced, everyone knows SF6 is coming. Everyone knows SF6 is in development ever since the data-hack and Ono's demotion. This isn't some big secret that's gonna make everyone drop SF5, and if it does then chances are people weren't playing SF5 anyway which would make sense given we've had five years of this game now and people are most likely to ready to move on. 5 isn't gonna be pushing another mil any time soon, at least foreshadowing 6 within 5 would get more eyes on the game for a bit. 

Edited by Scotia
10 minutes ago, Scotia said:

The people who are still playing SF5? Teasing 6 isn't going to make 5 disappear, it'll still be at least a year before it'll come out and people are gonna have to play something until then. Plus it would make a lot of sense for Capcom to drop a logo for SF6 and go "Hey, if you're excited for the next game there's a character coming to SF5 that will give you a tease towards it". That alone would make people go check Luke and SF5 out just to see what's going on with SF6. 

And I mean, Luke's already teased as being related to the next game so it's not like people will be shocked by it. Look at the headlines that came out when Luke got announced, everyone knows SF6 is coming. Everyone knows SF6 is in development ever since the data-hack and Ono's demotion. This isn't some big secret that's gonna make everyone drop SF5, and if it does then chances are people weren't playing SF5 anyway which would make sense given we've had five years of this game now and people are most likely to ready to move on. 5 isn't gonna be pushing another mil any time soon, at least foreshadowing 6 within 5 would get more eyes on the game for a bit. 

When I said invest that doesn't just mean playing the game. That also means putting money into the game. I haven't brought the season 5 pass yet (I like to know exactly what I'm getting before buying any pass) . If they announce SF6 then I'm not buying that pass. In recent years whenever Capcom announced a game the release date is just a couple of months away. Whenever they announce a new Resident Evil the game is usually 9 months away. They've done the same with the announcements of DMC5 and Monster Hunter. Capcom isn't like Square and Nintendo who make you wait half a decade.

18 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

When I said invest that doesn't just mean playing the game. That also means putting money into the game. I haven't brought the season 5 pass yet (I like to know exactly what I'm getting before buying any pass) . If they announce SF6 then I'm not buying that pass. In recent years whenever Capcom announced a game the release date is just a couple of months away. Whenever they announce a new Resident Evil the game is usually 9 months away. They've done the same with the announcements of DMC5 and Monster Hunter. Capcom isn't like Square and Nintendo who make you wait half a decade.

So how long should it be then? CapCup in February is the more likely option for something SF6 related, is that too soon after Luke's release? I don't want to wait an extra six months to see something from SF6 because some people might feel like their money is wasted because the last character of the previous game only came out a few months ago. It just seems like a weird limit to put on yourself to not buy content for a game just because the next game might be announced soon. 

Like, yeah I get you don't want to buy something just for something new to come out and replace it, but I assure you 6 is not coming out any time soon. The info we got from the data hacking was that they planned SF6 to be Late 2022 and given the issues with SF6's development plus COVID, I highly doubt it comes out that year, so you're probably looking at least 10 months to a year from reveal to release (fwiw, SF5 from reveal to release was 14 months).

1 minute ago, Scotia said:

So how long should it be then? CapCup in February is the more likely option for something SF6 related, is that too soon after Luke's release? I don't want to wait an extra six months to see something from SF6 because some people might feel like their money is wasted because the last character of the previous game only came out a few months ago. It just seems like a weird limit to put on yourself to not buy content for a game just because the next game might be announced soon. 

Like, yeah I get you don't want to buy something just for something new to come out and replace it, but I assure you 6 is not coming out any time soon. The info we got from the data hacking was that they planned SF6 to be Late 2022 and given the issues with SF6's development plus COVID, I highly doubt it comes out that year, so you're probably looking at least 10 months to a year from reveal to release (fwiw, SF5 from reveal to release was 14 months).

It's not it will be announced soon but coming soon. 

I don't see what good it will do to announce SF6 as soon as possible. Unless they have something to show and the wait is short they shouldn't bother. Trust me, we don't want to be stuck in the same waiting room as Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's not it will be announced soon but coming soon. 

I don't see what good it will do to announce SF6 as soon as possible. Unless they have something to show and the wait is short they shouldn't bother. Trust me, we don't want to be stuck in the same waiting room as Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3. 

I agree with that, I'd only want them to reveal and release it when they're ready. I just think if things lined up for them, dropping a trailer for Luke then teasing 6 not long after wouldn't be that bad of a thing for them, especially given the teases we've already had.  

Another theory online not mine

My latest harebrained (or secretly genius) theory: Q is Luke's father.

If you look closely you can see the name "Robert Sullivan" on one of Luke's dog tags, so I don't think he has anything to do with Guile or Nash (their dog tags have different shapes/designs anyway).

Nakayama said there's hidden significance behind the letters G and Q, so if we consider the alphabet...

bs761iC.png

L (as in Luke) is the exact midpoint between G and Q.

QRS = Q is Robert Sullivan.

My theory is that Luke's father went missing and presumed dead while serving in the military (hence Luke keeping his dog tags), only to have actually been abducted and brainwashed by G and turned into the original Q. Luke grew up without a father and idolized Joe from the original Street Fighter, becoming a professional MMA fighter in the process.
y0WNc4Q.png
I'm thinking Luke's story will start simple -- he'll be introduced as a Joe fanboy who wants to rack up wins and surpass his idol -- only to become more complex as he interacts with G and discovers the truth about his father (possibly by winning a tournament hosted by G).

I'm also fairly certain that Luke was designed to complement G. Luke is young and represents contemporary American culture with his tattoos, haircut, and general UFC/influencer aesthetic; G is old and represents classic Americana by modeling himself after Abraham Lincoln and Uncle Sam. We already know that G and Q are connected, so this all fits together organically enough.

Capcom also loves to ape pop culture, and you can't get more overt than a young blonde Luke discovering that a mysterious man in a metal helmet is his thought-to-be-deceased father.

So, yeah, that's where my mind is at right now. Luke will "pay homage to the past" (an admirer of an SFI character and son of an SFIII character) while providing a "glimpse into the future" (playing an important role in SFVI), as Nakayama put it.

lRW5glQ.gif wYvGHYg.gif

u1GZKwO.gif H9roNRe.gif

It's kinda wild to link Q and G to his father, but we'll see.

Yet his moves has also resemblance

Interesting thoughts on Luke representing the new and G for the old 

Edited by Shakunetsu
16 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's common for people to not want to invest more into a game when they know a new one is on the way.

And it's just as common for people to be completionists, who will want to make sure they have the entire, finished, product.  Even if they are planning on moving on.

16 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't see how Capcom not making a all Capcom fighter applies to this notion.

It applies to your notion of "this must be a bad business decision, or else Capcom would have done it already."

But that only tracks if Capcom only makes good business decisions.  Which, they absolutely do NOT.

Edited by DarthEnderX
8 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

And it's just as common for people to be completionists, who will want to make sure they have the entire, finished, product.  Even if they are planning on moving on.

It applies to your notion of "this must be a bad business decision, or else Capcom would have done it already."

But that only tracks if Capcom only makes good business decisions.  Which, they absolutely do NOT.

What kind of logic pattern is that? You make it sound like Capcom isn't allowed to fuck up. 

On 8/10/2021 at 7:07 AM, Hawkingbird said:

What kind of logic pattern is that? You make it sound like Capcom isn't allowed to fuck up. 

No, YOU make it sound like they NEVER fuck up.

Again, your argument was "They haven't done this yet, so it probably wouldn't sell".  Which makes it sound like they ONLY do things that end up selling good.

But they don't.  They do things that sell bad all the time.  Therefor, them not having done it yet has nothing to do with whether it would sell.

2 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

No, YOU make it sound like they NEVER fuck up.

Again, your argument was "They haven't done this yet, so it probably wouldn't sell".  Which makes it sound like they ONLY do things that end up selling good.

But they don't.  They do things that sell bad all the time.  Therefor, them not having done it yet has nothing to do with whether it would sell.

I didn't make it sound like that at all. They tried an all Capcom fighter in the past and it didn't work out. On their end they probably don't see it as a profitable idea. 

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I didn't make it sound like that at all. They tried an all Capcom fighter in the past and it didn't work out. On their end they probably don't see it as a profitable idea. 

Well then they're stupid, because that game also sucked super hard and played nothing like MvC.

When people say they want CvC, they mean they want MvC with only Capcom characters.  Not the...thing...that CFE was.

11 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Well then they're stupid, because that game also sucked super hard and played nothing like MvC.

When people say they want CvC, they mean they want MvC with only Capcom characters.  Not the...thing...that CFE was.

What I don't understand is the need for it to play like MvC. CvS is just as beloved and fits just as well. 

For me, while I l absolutely ove CvS, if I'm having a Capcom universe fighter, I'd want it to lean more to Marvel style or some evolution of it because I feel it deals with exaggerated, wacky characters better in terms of over the top moves and systems,  and faster paced mayhem. I think the "Let's go crazy!" approach of crossovers would fit a game where Dante, like in MvC3 has tons of moves, you can have unbalanced, big body characters like a Cyberbots character in the roster and just screen filling, unrestricted moves.  I feel that CvS is more "grounded" in a comparison.

In a sense, I feel the MvC model lends itself to including characters from Capcom's impressive IP library who are less traditional fighters like Phoenix Wright, who can have the freedom to have really fun, ridiculous moves and game mechanics that affect characters in unique ways.

Edited by ShockDingo
9 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

What I don't understand is the need for it to play like MvC.

Because CvS already mostly plays like Street Fighter and KoF.  Two series that already have current entries.

MvC is probably the 2nd most popular set of fighting game mechanics.  And DBFZ is kinda the only current thing like it.

CvS is just as beloved and fits just as well. 

Completely disagree.  CvS's mechanics are a lot more grounded, and don't really fit a lot of the more insane Capcom characters like your Zeros, your Dantes, your Striders, etc.

Edited by DarthEnderX

So I've been playing through SF3 in preparation for Oro's release. Coming across this exchange made me think about some things.

E8EvvVdWUAIqtvA?format=jpg&name=large

I like how this dialogue takes place immediately after you fight Ryu. It all goes well together.

In my personal headcanon, Oro did come across Gill at some point. They never fought, but he had enough of an understanding of his abilities to the point where he left the tournament altogether. Ryu was the only one who left a real impression on him. That's not to say Gill is weak. He's not. I just don't think his power was enough to garner his attention. 

Now as we see with Oro, he's able to sense the Chi of someone even when they're not fighting. 

Examples:

E8EvvyDXEAAhLYu?format=jpg&name=large

E8EvwDoX0AEo9T3?format=jpg&name=large

E8IiClwWUAA3N4C?format=jpg&name=large

E8Ih-TbXIAEDYrc?format=jpg&name=large

He also demonstrates knowledge on the many different powers out there:

"Psycho Power, Ki, the power of Yoga, the Satsui no Hado. You know what I think? These powers are all the same, when you follow them to their root. I do not claim they are completely the same. Merely connected. The same, but different."

Oro doesn't appear to make note of Gill's power (maybe he does in the JPN version?) like he does Akuma's, but knowing the type of master Oro is, I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be judging Gill based off of whatever Chi he could be sensing from him. I highly doubt Oro would gauge Gill based on looks alone.

E8Ih-AZWUAA5yZa?format=jpg&name=large

Considering Cammy can sense Urien's power and conclude that it was different from anything else she's felt up to that point, I'd imagine Oro would be able to assess it on an even deeper level. 

Now we obviously know none of this was a thing back when this particular dialogue was written. 

But when you retroactively apply what's taken place in SFV, Ryu being as strong as Gill doesn't seem so farfetched.

Then there's Alex defeating Gill, but having his hands full dealing with Ryu in 3rd Strike.

I think Ryu w/The Power of Nothingness is beyond Gill.

iJIEHd2.png

ASIoO0I.jpg

I kinda remember the original dialogue being different from the ENG. Something about Ryu saying he's going to show Akuma why he surpassed the Satsui no Hado. I might be misremembering. 

When you look at the original transition from the SF2/Alpha series into SF3, it would seem like Ryu would've eclipsed his SnH woes by simply training hard.

When you look at it from the standpoint of SF4 going into SF3, it would've been because Gouken sealed away his SnH. By him sealing away the SnH, Ryu would be in a position to improve himself without having to worry about suppressing it all the time.

With SFV, the Power of Nothingness was the power-up that finally allowed Ryu to surpass the SnH and reach a whole new level. 

LFk7AOj.png

As we see, the Nothingness was still no match for Akuma.

To be honest, I could see their encounter during SF3 ended in a similar fashion. 

On another note:

E8EvvjmWYAoJ2Cf?format=jpg&name=large

I don't remember seeing this quote. Many of the SF3 quotes are ones I've yet to see. 

Anyway, excited to tackle the Akira and Oro win quotes!

9 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Because CvS already mostly plays like Street Fighter and KoF.  Two series that already have current entries.

MvC is probably the 2nd most popular set of fighting game mechanics.  And DBFZ is kinda the only current thing like it.

There BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid and Skullgirls. There's no shortage of Marvel like tag games out there. 

9 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Completely disagree.  CvS's mechanics are a lot more grounded, and don't really fit a lot of the more insane Capcom characters like your Zeros, your Dantes, your Striders, etc.

Zero managed to fit in SvC Chaos just fine 😁. Strider was suppose to be in Capcom Fighting All Stars before that was canned. 

9 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

I kinda remember the original dialogue being different from the ENG. Something about Ryu saying he's going to show Akuma why he surpassed the Satsui no Hado. I might be misremembering. 

From what I can make out-

Akuma: Ryu! It's time to settle the truth! Show me the power of your fists! 

Ryu: I... I'll show you a power that goes beyond murderous intent*

(*=satsui no hado) 

Maybe @Miðgarðsorm or @Lord_Vegacan provide a better translation. I'm not confident that what I put for Akuma was 100% correct. It's the same problem with alot of sprite based games at the time. What takes up one character to say in Japanese or most other Asian languages takes up multiple in other languages so they had to considerably water stuff down. The words used are different, Ryu doesn't hesitate and is more self-righteous in English but the overall message is still the same. 

Edited by N-Tactix
19 minutes ago, N-Tactix said:

I'm not confident that what I put for Akuma was 100% correct.

I'd say "Ryu! Show me your fists! It's time to settle the matter once and for all!" Literally, Gouki says "to give (to the matter) the true settlement", but as you all see it would sound horrendous in English.
Ryu retorts "I'll show you I'll go beyond SNH"; the implication is HOW, aka the power which surpasses SNH.
Anyway, the meaning is exactly the same.
LOL SFA2. Its translations were the abyss of wtfingness.

There BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle

Only 2v2.

Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid and Skullgirls.

Okay, how about one with characters people actually care about?

Strider was suppose to be in Capcom Fighting All Stars before that was canned. 

I'm sure his moveset translated perfectly and people would have loved it...