Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

59 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I was gonna get Helldivers 2 then I saw that it had some nasty DRM that I wont install on my computer.  So I wont get it.  Sad cause it looks fun.

What is DRM exactly? It's anti-cheat shit,  right?  I'd be getting it for PS5 - what does it do? 

BG3---it just keeps getting better.  I finally went into what I guess is the act 2 area....

The Githyanki squad by that bridge is one hell of a rough fight, man... eventually I just resorted to summoning those big goons hired earlier.  Also, I was lucky enough to be in the right position to knock one of them off the bridge for an easy kill----thanks to the "repelling" aspect of Eldritch Blast...heh, there's a trophy for that as well.  Even with my hired squad of "Deebo"-sized goons, this still took 2 or 3 tries to prevail.  After knocking that one bitch off the side, I casted magical blindness on another one, and also used the "stage fright" power on them.  That Deebo squad is still on my payroll... for 500 gold they agreed to continue being on call for me....oh yeah it's worth the price to have that hired help at the ready.

...since this character helped lead the raid on the Grove, of course my honey Minthara was pleased.

The yellow paint discourse has been infecting my twitter feed sporadically for the past few days since the FF7  demo got released.   I really think devs probably need to have a toggle that turns the environmental guide/easy read stuff off so those people can attempt to play their games without it and then realize "....wait a sec maybe the devs are on to something here..."

And using Assassin's creed for this is not quite the same when your game is not obviously built that way for a "climb near anything" type of environment.  Some markers in the environments can definitely be egregious but people don't realize that the devs test this shit with people and 9 times out of 10 the normal player doesn't know what the fuck they're doing so they gotta make the choice to just slightly over correct or have a chunk of players be stuck on something that they thought was obvious. 

There's a response that actually shows what this wall could potentially look like without the clear environmental indicator on it

This actually doesn't look bad to me.  I'd probably be able to figure this out but I know there are a lot of people out there that wouldn't.

All this Suicide Squad talk has actually gotten me to play Midnight Suns. I got it dirt cheap a few months back but only put a few hours into it until the past couple weeks. It's nice to play superhero game that's actually good. I'm half tempted to run through Guardian of the Galaxy again. I really wish GotG would have dropped before Avengers. I think it would have sold FAR better. That was actually a good game with a well crafted narrative and characters that actually acted like...well themselves.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
31 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Currently playing GOTG. It's a nice little game but sometimes I wish they tone down the banter a bit. I understand that a big selling point of the GOTG is the whole team rapport between all of them but sometimes I wish they would just STFU for a minute or two

My only real criticism of the game is that once you finish it, there really isn't a reason to go back. I unlocked everything on my first run. I did go back play few of the cooler levels over though. Drax's fascination with a certain character is hilarious IMO.

Spoiler

He is obsessed with Lady Hellbender and it never ceased to crack me up.

ok, the intro of how this devil Raphael shows up in BG3 is really cool...right away I like this character and how he made this cool entrance out of nowhere in our campsite....then suddenly we were "somewhere else" as he seemed to be offering us his assistance.  I had to leave it there for the night though....

..apparently you could just speak with those Gith people by the bridge from what I've read on forums...?  I just went in there in full attack mode.  I'm already looking forward to whatever the next battle is.  I want juicy exp and loot....if I recall, I got about 75 exp for each of them...then another big chunk of exp for going past that point and then Raphael showed up.  I am still only about halfway to being level 5 though.  There's still quite a few things I have missed out on back in the act 1 area.

Edited by MillionX

Over on Reddit, user wojtek-graj has made Doom completely playable…in audio. That is to say, they’ve managed to get it to run in a spectrogram, which is a visual representation of sound frequencies. Actually, I’ll let them give you the lowdown:

The game is displayed by generating an audio signal that can be viewed as a spectrogram, while input is taken from the microphone, with specific frequencies being mapped to specific keys.

Edited by AriesWarlock
12 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

The yellow paint discourse has been infecting my twitter feed sporadically for the past few days since the FF7  demo got released.   I really think devs probably need to have a toggle that turns the environmental guide/easy read stuff off so those people can attempt to play their games without it and then realize "....wait a sec maybe the devs are on to something here..."

And using Assassin's creed for this is not quite the same when your game is not obviously built that way for a "climb near anything" type of environment.  Some markers in the environments can definitely be egregious but people don't realize that the devs test this shit with people and 9 times out of 10 the normal player doesn't know what the fuck they're doing so they gotta make the choice to just slightly over correct or have a chunk of players be stuck on something that they thought was obvious. 

There's a response that actually shows what this wall could potentially look like without the clear environmental indicator on it

This actually doesn't look bad to me.  I'd probably be able to figure this out but I know there are a lot of people out there that wouldn't.

There are so many instances where I can recall getting stuck on something dumb like that.  Very often, it's something I tried to interact with, but didn't quite hit the right spot for the character to "stick "/ cling/ activate/etc. The "yellow paint" phenomenon is probably the best way of addressing this in games where you can't interact with everything like you would be able to in real life.  It sure beats the hell of of "detective vision" mechanics. 

1 hour ago, Camacho said:

There are so many instances where I can recall getting stuck on something dumb like that.  Very often, it's something I tried to interact with, but didn't quite hit the right spot for the character to "stick "/ cling/ activate/etc. The "yellow paint" phenomenon is probably the best way of addressing this in games where you can't interact with everything like you would be able to in real life.  It sure beats the hell of of "detective vision" mechanics. 

Also remember that older FF’s (and a lot of games in the 90’s and 2000’s in general)  literally had the ‘cursor setting’ so you had an icon floating over your character at all times as well as blue/red arrows that pointed at ever exit and/or elevation change in the dungeon. IE Ladders and Ramps. 

A lot of people who’re bitching about the ‘yellow paint’ and it’s ilk either weren’t around, have selective memory, or are bitching just to bitch. 

Edited by iStu X
15 hours ago, Chadouken said:

What is DRM exactly? It's anti-cheat shit,  right?  I'd be getting it for PS5 - what does it do? 

DRM stands for Digital Rights Managment. It's software used to manage and verify your software licenses to make sure you aren't using pirated or stolen software. If the DRM software can't verify your license it locks you out of the software. 

People tend to dislike like DRM because it effects performance and only hurts paying customers anyway. The pirates always have the DRM for software cracked within days, and you get all the featurs of the software without any of the performance hiccups that tend to come with DRM Software. 

Then there's other issues like some DRM software embeds itself in the Kernal of your computer and that's a bridge too far for many people. There really is 0 reason a videogame should be installing anything below my Operating Systems functioning level and just opens me up to vulnerability. 

Worst of all DRM more often then not makes the software run worse then the cracked software the pirates stole. So I paid money for worse functioning version then the one 1.2% of the user base stole lol.

Edited by RSG3
14 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

The question is would you be able to figure it out if you hadn't seen the yellow paint first. 

I would say yes because the game does a decent job of showing you any environment as tall as Cloud is Climbable so we would have face hugged the walls till he grabbed what we needed. 

Hardly a great alternative. The yellow paint doesn't bother me one single bit, but I knew the absolute second I saw it people where gonna bitch about it. Maybe they should have chose white instead of Yellow but it's pretty meaningless either way. If they didn't paint them David Jaffee would bitch he got stuck and then call it amature hour when he finally finds the hand holds. 

Edited by RSG3
11 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Also remember that older FF’s (and a lot of games in the 90’s and 2000’s in general)  literally had the ‘cursor setting’ so you had an icon floating over your character at all times as well as blue/red arrows that pointed at ever exit and/or elevation change in the dungeon. IE Ladders and Ramps. 

A lot of people who’re bitching about the ‘yellow paint’ and it’s ilk either weren’t around, have selective memory, or are bitching just to bitch. 

John Linneman pointed this out in a post and their response was "this was optional and had to be turned on"

17 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

John Linneman pointed this out in a post and their response was "this was optional and had to be turned on"

They tell you about during the OG FF7 semi-4th wall breaking tutorials as you’re leaving 7th Heaven to bomb the second reactor. The dudes hanging out the munitions warehouse above the weapons shop tell you about it.

It isn’t turned on before that (iirc). During the tutorial they tell you ‘they’re turning it on for you but you can turn it off in your menu settings’

Edited by iStu X
25 minutes ago, iStu X said:

It isn’t turned on before that (iirc). During the tutorial they tell you ‘they’re turning it on for you but you can turn it off in your menu settings

Ah that must be it, I always remember having to turn it off at least once. 

BG3---this is so cool...I decided to start a fight with this level 6 Githyanki captain...it was going horribly at first but surprisingly my character and his crew have made a comeback... it's down to just that captain now, and I used some scroll of fear from Gale, and she actually dropped her sword.....and of course I ran up and snatched that off the ground immediately; now she has nothing and is still cowering in fear before us.... oh yeah we went overkill on this; as if all that wasn't enough I had Gale cast "Hold" to make sure she could not fight back as she was in the last 3rd of her hp.  A bolt from Shadowheart and then a sneak arrow shot from Astarion and she was dead.  

Another thing here is that since I hit level 5... I got the "Hunger of Hadar" spell which of course is a big deal... I love that they have NOT toned down how ridiculous that spell is.  Right at the start, I casted it in the area of the room where the captain and her 2 big wolves were....it really got things off to a bad start for her.

Hunger of Hadar =  you cast a large magical cloud of darkness that blinds enemies within it.  They take cold damage at the start and acid damage at the end of their turn. 

The area is also "difficult terrain" so it's hard for them to get out....then...with repelling Eldritch Blast, you can always just blast them right back into it (I can see into the darkness since I also picked up "Devil Sight" with this level-up).....and it lasts 10 turns. 🤣 This is the "bankai" level shit, folks.

9 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Xbox decided they were going to talk about upcoming xbox business using...

Probably for the best lol.

Every time I read Matt Booty's name, I chuckle like an 8 year old. Can you imagine having him as your boss at work? "Good morning Mr. Booty" I don't think I could do it fam. 🤣

Edited by Darc_Requiem