Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Guest Characters? In MY Street Fighter?

47 minutes ago, JustBooming said:

I caught the Dee Jay game, it came close. How did you like it? Reckon you'll go again?

Definitely doing it again. Super fun, casuals against real people are great! Seeing and being on stream is hype, etc. supposedly they do these like every month or so. 

The biggest thing is that im in a room full of people yelling and bumping my seat instead of the comfort of my own home with no distractions. Pressure was getting to me I couldn’t think clearly smh 

Edited by Vhozite
26 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I literally got put into losers after getting my pockets ran by DeeJay. Dude was A LOT better than the DeeJay’s I was used to and I wasn’t ready. 

Gonna lab him tonight I was struggling super hard. He was the only character I fought and had no idea what to do.

Edited by Vhozite
23 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

I love when people will try to skill check you in this game and when you still win the match they one and done. Like sorry I’m just not as inferior as you ya fucking loser hahahahahaa

That happened to me last night. Some asshole JP joined during my set, wins the match and leaves. I stalk him through BH to get my runback. When we play again he rage quits when I land my game winning level 3. The coward

Wtf is going on with DeeJay’s overhead f.mk?

It’s plus on block, gives a combo on hit, reaches far, and AA’s lol. The only weakness is that it hits a frame or two slower than other overheads. 

Here is a comparison:

Deejay f.mk: 22f (first frame it can hit crouching) startup, +6 on hit (+5 standing), +1 on block

-

Juri f.mk: 21f startup, +2 on hit, -3 on block

-

Ryu/Guile f.mp: 20f start, +2 on hit, -3 on block 

-

Manon OD Degage: 23f (hits crouching), +6/7 on hit, -3 on block
-

Marisa charged df.hp: 31f startup, +5 on hit, +2 on block

It’s only marginally slower than the avg overheads yet is comparable on contact to a Marisa charged heavy or Manon burning meter…

So now that I'm pretty much done with World Tour and Arcade, I'm legitimately tryna learn the game as of last week. Right now I'm learning Ryu to get my feet wet. But I can't help but feel like maybe the learning curve is steeper than at least SF5? Reacting to and countering DI, DR combos and getting the perfect parry timing is gonna take time. I'm hanging back on ranked until I get a handle on this stuff. If anyone has pointers I'll take what I can get!

4 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

But I can't help but feel like maybe the learning curve is steeper than at least SF5? Reacting to and countering DI, DR combos and getting the perfect parry timing is gonna take time.

The first thing is to not try learning all of this stuff at once. There is definitely more to learn than in 5 but don’t overwhelm yourself trying to do it all at once.

The most important things are to learn your character and get used to countering DI. The rest isn’t immediately necessary.

I'd argue that you should try to incorporate at least a very basic DR BnB into your early learning process. It's such an integral part of the game that getting it into your muscle memory as soon as possible will help you in the long run. It doesn't have to be some fancy juggle stuff, but I think Ryu has some easy medium -> medium -> DR -> medium links just to get a hang of the mechanic.

10 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

So now that I'm pretty much done with World Tour and Arcade, I'm legitimately tryna learn the game as of last week. Right now I'm learning Ryu to get my feet wet. But I can't help but feel like maybe the learning curve is steeper than at least SF5? Reacting to and countering DI, DR combos and getting the perfect parry timing is gonna take time. I'm hanging back on ranked until I get a handle on this stuff. If anyone has pointers I'll take what I can get!

Don't play Ryu! 

Or a grappler of any kind!

5 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

The main issue with ryu to me isn't that ken does everything better etc. it's that his denjin charge or whatever you call it almost feels like a nerf, I remember reading somewhere that it actually makes ryu worse in a way because you lose pressure,oki,etc. by stocking it. 

Yeah Denjin is terrible and easily the worst “resource” in the game. The opportunity cost to stock it is super high (loss of time/reposition/oki) and for your trouble your reward is wasting it on a poke that probably won’t do anything or losing access to one of your best pokes so you get to run better offense. Jaime also has to give up something to drink, but he also stays buffed for the entire round AND has a super that gives him temporary max level. 

The strange thing is that the other characters who have stores that buff multiple moves (Lily, Juri) can stack up to 3 at once while ryu only gets 1. Those characters also have attacks attack to their stores lol. Honda only can hold one sumo spirit, but unlike Ryu he doesn’t have to manage what move he uses it force since it only buffs HHS.

11 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

Your base fundamentals from SFV should carry you enough. I'm Diamond 1 and I literally don't know anything have 0 set ups and 0 neutral. I'm just spamming shit. Don't worry about trying to perfect parry everything and don't feel bad about getting stuck in the corner. 

These are the top things that will carry you regardless of who you play. 

Make sure to learn how to counter DI spam. DI interactions can be weird and won't always make sense in the moment. A good example is when someone will hit you with a normal on block and confirm into Drive Rush. If you DI right when they do that they'll have enough time to DI back.

Don't DI jump ins because you'll always lose that interaction unless you're a fucking god.

Don't worry about having the crispiest DR confirms. You'll get yourself killed trying to be swaggy. Just play the game like you would SFV and focus on 1 primary Drive Rush combo. 

Take the throw fuck what anyone says getting shimmied in this game is worse than SFV (I'm partially joking)

Pick Lily and spam EX condor spire so you don't have to actually engage with the system. Just let that shit go brrrrrrrr and watch people fail to Perfect Parry that sucka

Depending on how good you were in SFV that should either carry you to Plat 1-4 or Diamond 1. After that you gotta know what the fuck is going on because the Diamond grind is brutal.

12 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

If you played SF4 this game is easy to pick up.

DR cancels are just FADC.  I can do all my dumb SF4 stuff and it still works.  😎

Counter raw DI with your own on reaction. 

Everything else is just basic SF stuff.

12 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

You want actual advice or memes?

12 minutes ago, ToreyBeans said:

I appreciate solid advice, and I also love the chaos of the memes! 

This game has some really frustrating parts to it that take some getting used to. This is due to how the drive system works directly or indirectly. The two big ones to get out of the way: everything is negative and people walk back quickly.

Everything is basically negative in this game: Everybody in this game has the same basic frame trap outside of Drive Rush. This is important to understand because it means people are going to constantly hit buttons every time they block something. Some characters can commit to a frame trap with a cancel, but if you block all of it they'll be negative (sometimes punishable).  Get all around mentally prepared for the fact that there is going to be an inhuman amount of mashing By Design. They want people to be able to do this.

Jab chains are the frame trap everybody gets. You can tick throw one St.Lp/cr.lp but you aren't during it because you have an advantage. You get away with it because usually characters can link into mediums from a CH St.LP/Cr.LP.  One important thing to keep in mind is that doing Jab walk back to try to shimmy is a terrible idea. Throw ranges are deceptively large in this game. Point blank jab walk back will get you thrown. So you get Jab, Jab as a blockstring done quickly to frame trap or jab throw quickly to tick throw/tech your opponent trying to throw you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that If a jab and a throw were to happen on the same frame, the jab wins. So you don't really get a true tick throw unless you're at +2. This is why Drive Rush in is so powerful. That's one of the few ways somebody is making actually hold a real strike/throw situation. This also means that depending on how they DR in (neutral or from a cancel) you can decide whether to drive reversal (2 drive meter to get rid of 3 is not a bad deal).

People walk back super fast:  This one takes a a bit of getting used to TBH. Because its similar to the SF5 situation in that people would stay stand blocking thing they had good footsies when it was really the game letting them be fraudulent. Its kind of compounded in that you can't really hit confirm from cr.mks (this was done on purpose). So the good news is that if somebody DR canceled a cr.mk, they were making a read/buffering but weren't hit confirming. So you don't have to worry about that. But the back walkspeeds does mean is that disengaging is really strong. The right thing to do, and what your opponent is going to want to do is to start walking back after blocking two normals. If they aren't mashing, they are usually doing this. If they like walking back and you're semi close, doing cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.mk as a string is really helpful. Its all negative but you'll be using it to dissuade people from just moonwalking away at all times.

This is also why (I wanna say most of the cast) can combo from cr.lk into jabs xx special. You can just catch people trying to walk back all the time (particularly on wake up). This is also why you see some people do Drive Rush Cr.mk in neutral at random. Some characters can link from DR Cr.MK on hit. So you can easily see if it hit/block and go along accordingly. 

Either way, sometimes they're just going to walk away. When they do, accept it'll be a long walk to get them cornered and just relax. Same if they get out of the corner. Its silly but its the game. Go in there understand dudes just walk back fast and its kind of a pain.

Anyways, more tips later.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

You want actual advice or memes?

Ah yes another clip of JP spending more meter than he actually has to ape someone. 

I’m really not sure what to blame here. On the one hand I think the meter meter system is flawed when someone can spend 6 bars of Drive on 4 drive rushes in one sequence despite starting with only 2.5 blocks. On the other hand, I see JP in these cracked out “lol meter management?” clips more than any other character so I’m not sure how much of the problem is him specifically.