Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

4 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

So how are we feeling about AKI? 

Solid mid? 

Borderline bottom? 

Hidden top once tech is discovered? 

Idk about tier wise but generally I’d say AKI is my least favorite SF6 newcomer so far.  Odd looking character and her gimmick isn’t particularly revolutionary. Also the poison VFX on your character are a bit distracting imo, but thats a nit pick.

Gameplay wise I haven’t seen anything yet to indicate she’s crazy good or bad, so I’d say she’s middle of the pack. Fighting her the 3 biggest things that stick out to me are:

1.  (like Miria said) she seems reliant on drive rush for combos.

2. Between the fireball and decent amount of non cancelable normals, she seems more susceptible to DI than some other characters

3. DOT from poison is negligible and not something to be afraid of on its own. Obviously if she pops you into a combo it sucks, but I’m not scared walking into the pool or landing on a fireball. 

As much as I don’t like her she seems very well balanced. That said I don’t see her being particularly popular. She needs more setup and situational awareness to excel then a lot of characters.

Edited by Vhozite
16 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

I'm wondering if they started deleting replays with the A.K.I. patch. I had a bunch of replays saved and they now have a red icon next to each match and I can't view them. And it's not like these are ancient replays - they're from four days ago.

All saved replays are no longer valid after a patch because there is a version mismatch now.  The current version of the game does not match the version those were saved/played on.

Pretty lame that Capcom hasn't or can't figure out a way to not make that happen.

1 hour ago, -PVL93- said:

Does anybody? I feel like no matter the fighting game, every time there's even a minor patch the notes say you can't watch replay data anymore 

I don't really like talking about systems I don't know the nuts and bolts of, but It should be doable, e.g. in SFV the older volume trials still worked with the old moves dataset. I can't see how it'd be too difficult to implement different move sets for older replays. Probably just not a priority, or I've overlooked something more subtle. 

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Then I have a list of characters that need to lose their reversals.

:coffee:

I wouldn’t mind some characters losing their reversals, but really too many characters don’t have a compelling reason to burn super besides level 3. Either they have access to everything they need with drive meter (like a reversal) or their SA1/2 are just bad and not worth using. 

It feels like general roles of the SA system were supposed to be:

SA1: situational reversal/situational damage extension

SA2: Utility

SA3: Big boy reversal/damage cash out

And instead we got:

SA1: Reversal you don’t need unless your character is bad or burnt out. Probably trash anyway

SA2: Unless it’s some kind of install (and sometimes even if it is) just save for level 3

S3: Your only good super 

Edited by Vhozite
14 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

but really too many characters don’t have a compelling reason to burn super besides level 3. Either they have access to everything they need with drive meter (like a reversal) or their SA1/2 are just bad and not worth using. 

That's why after watching the beta footage and trying out the demo for the trust time i felt that the Super meter is... Well... Kind of isolated? Like you use it ONLY for supers and nothing else - your command dash, parrying, guard cancel, armored crusher, AND ex moves are all tied to the same drive gauge.

They could've at least kept the ex requirement for the Super gauge since you keep the stocks between rounds anyway and it'd keep the strategic element of choosing what to prioritise, cashing everything out with a cinematic super or consuming a chunk here and there for some additional damage or making yourself safe or chipping out the opponent in burnout. 

What we got instead is Supers are accessible to you at all times when thout having to choose just one like 3S, but once your drive gauge is gone you lose literally every all other mechanic present in the game 

6 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

So how are we feeling about AKI? 

Solid mid? 

Borderline bottom? 

Hidden top once tech is discovered? 

At the absolute worse, A.K.I. is much better than the grapplers and Jamie, who's a good character hamstrung by the drink system.

So, at the absolute worse she's Ryu tier, which would be very mid, but I think she can turn out to be pretty good. As good as the really good characters of the game? That's something that depends on how the character develops, but if it happens it's gonna take some time. Even then, no one is going to drop characters that are currently very strong and optimized even for a secret top tier that needs time to grow. There's a million dollars on the line and people weren't doing that for much less.

My impression after playing her a while and looking pros is that she can get a lot stuff going off very little, and it can snowball pretty hard in her favour.

As soon as you manage to land QCF+HP in midscreen, which is pretty easy to combo into, you get to choose how to do further pressure between double dash that leaves you +6, medium slide that leaves you +5, safe jump (with the malus that if they don't backrise you need to react and go for a crossup attack, but that's what dHP is for and this doesn't apply to the corner), raw Drive Rush shenanigans between overhead and crMK both leading to medium combos, if they don't backrise you get to do stuff like dash-in overhead that frame kills to hit on the last frame leaving you +5 on regular hit (combos into jabs) or frame kill stLP into stance command grab... So, you got options.

In the corner she gets a lot of sauce I think, and also projectile pressure that's very plus on block and beats stuff like JP's Amnesia.

4 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

They could've at least kept the ex requirement for the Super gauge since you keep the stocks between rounds anyway and it'd keep the strategic element of choosing what to prioritise, cashing everything out with a cinematic super or consuming a chunk here and there for some additional damage or making yourself safe or chipping out the opponent in burnout. 

EX moves being something you can do straight from the first second is probably my favourite part about SF6. I'd very much prefer for the Super Meter to be isolated and just be something you slowly build toward level 3 unless you have reasons to waste it on a level 2 or 1 when needed.

4 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

EX moves being something you can do straight from the first second is probably my favourite part about SF6. I'd very much prefer for the Super Meter to be isolated and just be something you slowly build toward level 3 unless you have reasons to waste it on a level 2 or 1 when needed.

I don’t want EX moves on the Super meter either, but I REALLY need Capcom to give a lot of these supers another pass.

It’s one thing to save for level 3 as a conscious choice. It’s another to save for level 3 because you’re playing Zangief and level 3 is your only super that’s fully functional and worth using.

7 hours ago, JustBooming said:

I don't really like talking about systems I don't know the nuts and bolts of, but It should be doable, e.g. in SFV the older volume trials still worked with the old moves dataset. I can't see how it'd be too difficult to implement different move sets for older replays. Probably just not a priority, or I've overlooked something more subtle. 

Yah I don't know anything about their system either, but as robust as it is and the way they have totally killed it with SF6, and being a software engineer for 20 years now, this seems like a really easy problem to solve conceptually, which is why it's so surprising to me that this is a problem.

53 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Yah I don't know anything about their system either, but as robust as it is and the way they have totally killed it with SF6, and being a software engineer for 20 years now, this seems like a really easy problem to solve conceptually, which is why it's so surprising to me that this is a problem.

Smash's replay system is the same way. I believe the thinking was anything worth keeping would be uploaded to YouTube etc anyway so there's little reason for the extra engineering.

38 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Easily the best A.K.I. I've seen so far.  Whenever a new character comes out I'm always watching Kazunoko, Momochi and J. Wong.  They have an amazing knack of being able to figure out characters week 1.  

It helps that momo especially sits for like 10-15 hours just studying the character in the lab at first 

1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

Easily the best A.K.I. I've seen so far.  Whenever a new character comes out I'm always watching Kazunoko, Momochi and J. Wong.  They have an amazing knack of being able to figure out characters week 1.  

The A.K.I. that impressed me the most has been Nemo so far, I've stolen a lot of setups from him.

It also seems like he's learning her for real, not just messing around with the new character.

6 hours ago, JustBooming said:

@purbeastSame situation here, the number of times I've heard from non-dev managers "this should be easy, just..." always makes me err on the side of caution when second-guessing decisions for closed to me systems, it's one thing that really can piss me off!

I'm not a developer either but the only way for it to work would be to keep the data from every previous iteration hidden in the code, right? I can see why they don't necessarily want to do that, that's a lot of extra QA work per patch for very little (in their eyes) benefit.

I wonder though if UE4 had some toolsets to make this easier which would explain why SFV had the feature while 6 doesn't.

13 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I don’t want EX moves on the Super meter either, but I REALLY need Capcom to give a lot of these supers another pass.

It’s one thing to save for level 3 as a conscious choice. It’s another to save for level 3 because you’re playing Zangief and level 3 is your only super that’s fully functional and worth using.

In Zangief's case he needs a functional level 1.  His level 2 is not bad at all. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

In Zangief's case he needs a functional level 1.  His level 2 is not bad at all. 

I’ll take your word for it I’ve literally never had Gief use his level 2 against me lol. I’d like to assume it’s better against fireball characters.

Funny enough at my monthly Gief won a comeback round using that super the entire room was screaming lol. Philly has A LOT of Gief players apparently 

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

I’ll take your word for it I’ve literally never had Gief use his level 2 against me lol. I’d like to assume it’s better against fireball characters.

Funny enough at my monthly Gief won a comeback round using that super the entire room was screaming lol. Philly has A LOT of Gief players apparently 

The only real complaint I've heard in regards to Gief's level 2 is the startup being on the slow side. That said it's versatile and good Gief players seem to get utility out of it. 

37 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

p85XILo.jpg

Over the past several weeks, a lot of my sessions were basically, "Please let me get back to the MR I started off with",

or, "Let me at least hit 1800" after getting knocked all the way back down to 1700 MR. I needed any moral victory I could claim. I was constantly coming out with less MR. 

It was tough, but I finally hit my goal of 2K MR.

Now I can relax and dive into World Tour.

Good work as always man. I appreciate your drive.

zach-galifianakis-smile.gif

I'm having weird issues with training mode. I'm trying to lab an A.K.I. setup into overhead, it ends up hitting the opponent meaty enough to be +5 on regular hit, then you'd combo them into stLK because jabs would whiff due to corner setup and crLK isn't cancelable, and that's where weird things happen.

I think that stLK in that circumstance only hits a crouching opponent and whiffs on a standing one, which is fine because it's an overhead so I'm trying to get them crouched anyway, however it seems that the dummy always gets hit in a standing position even if I set them up to be crouched and block crouched, and I can't combo into stLK. I was concerned that the setup actually didn't work or something, so I tried to do the opposite: have a dummy A.K.I. try the setup on me with a recording I made to see if anything changes with a character controlled by a person. Guess what? The setup works, the meaty overhead combos into into stLK if I'm controlling the character getting hit, but it always whiffs on a dummy.

Even more strangely, if it's a counter hit then stLK will combo, which doesn't make sense because this isn't a frame data thing, stLK either reaches or not, and I don't think being countered makes your hurtbox larger.

I heard that the dummy doesn't quite behave like a human, and there was also another thing where people found a weird interaction where you can crossup dudes in the corner but it doesn't work in training mode on the dummy. Any opinions?

16 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I'm having weird issues with training mode. I'm trying to lab an A.K.I. setup into overhead, it ends up hitting the opponent meaty enough to be +5 on regular hit, then you'd combo them into stLK because jabs would whiff due to corner setup and crLK isn't cancelable, and that's where weird things happen.

I think that stLK in that circumstance only hits a crouching opponent and whiffs on a standing one, which is fine because it's an overhead so I'm trying to get them crouched anyway, however it seems that the dummy always gets hit in a standing position even if I set them up to be crouched and block crouched, and I can't combo into stLK. I was concerned that the setup actually didn't work or something, so I tried to do the opposite: have a dummy A.K.I. try the setup on me with a recording I made to see if anything changes with a character controlled by a person. Guess what? The setup works, the meaty overhead combos into into stLK if I'm controlling the character getting hit, but it always whiffs on a dummy.

Even more strangely, if it's a counter hit then stLK will combo, which doesn't make sense because this isn't a frame data thing, stLK either reaches or not, and I don't think being countered makes your hurtbox larger.

I heard that the dummy doesn't quite behave like a human, and there was also another thing where people found a weird interaction where you can crossup dudes in the corner but it doesn't work in training mode on the dummy. Any opinions?

I still don't know if you can cross up opponents in the corner, I've never been able to do it in training mode so I just assumed they took that out, can you cross up opponents in the corner? 

Edited by Maravilla
3 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

I still don't know if you can cross up opponents in the corner, I've never been able to do it in training mode so I just assumed they took that out, can you cross up opponents in the corner? 

You're clearly not supposed to be able to do it in this game, but weird things will always pop out in fighting games.

In this game if your opponent has the back to the corner and you jump forward you will normally never end up behind them, so nothing like how it used to be in 4 and 5.

1 hour ago, Phantom_Miria said:

You're clearly not supposed to be able to do it in this game, but weird things will always pop out in fighting games.

In this game if your opponent has the back to the corner and you jump forward you will normally never end up behind them, so nothing like how it used to be in 4 and 5.

Yea I've noticed, thanks.