Stage Select

Retro Gaming Thread (pre PS3/XB360)

7 hours ago, Serpent said:

I remember Boomers saying we would stop playing games when we got older, but I think gaming still has a draw, just I'm more selective is all.

Games are better than movies imo because you actually have a hand in what's going on, and some of the stories are far more compelling than what's on the big screen. 

Silent Hill 2 and Bloodborne have much much more interesting stories almost any movie I've seen in a long time.

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Games are better than movies imo because you actually have a hand in what's going on, and some of the stories are far more compelling than what's on the big screen. 

They scratch separate itches for me. I get a different sense of enjoyment out of watching something like Lebowski (or any Cohen movie really) than playing games.

I guess a better comparison would be watching Indiana Jones vs playing Uncharted or Tomb Raider. Both are fun but in different ways. It's easier for me to get lost in admiration of the acting, cinematography, music, and overall sense of adventure watching Indy movies, while playing those games gives me a better sense of accomplishment and is a better time sink for boredom.

I'd probably rather play games than watch any modern big budget popcorn flick no doubt, but I do appreciate the art of good filmmaking. We just done get as many good films these days.

I will say this- after playing RE7  (my first real foray in the horror genre), I've decided that it's easier for a game to scare the fuck out of me than a movie 😂

After a grind I finally beat Chapter 7 (Very Hard). Killed Black Bull in the beginning (which is easy), then raced the 5 laps, then if you're close to Blood Hawk in the last lap he usually drops back and tries to kill you, but I was able to kill him since Blood Hawk is a pretty fragile machine. Then I boost my way to a bomb to bomb boost myself to first and now I finally have the complete roster.

TyjUXeu.png

Also I did AX cups in all the difficulties and that wasn't too bad. Now on my to F-Zero X.

What I wouldn't give to have a retro collection of mid 1980s through Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64 systems. Had I known how massively disappointing gaming would be past that, I would have kept them all. I would say Armored Core and Chaos Breaker would be honorable mentions. 

Edited by Emptyeyes
23 hours ago, globe said:

After a grind I finally beat Chapter 7 (Very Hard). Killed Black Bull in the beginning (which is easy), then raced the 5 laps, then if you're close to Blood Hawk in the last lap he usually drops back and tries to kill you, but I was able to kill him since Blood Hawk is a pretty fragile machine. Then I boost my way to a bomb to bomb boost myself to first and now I finally have the complete roster.

TyjUXeu.png

Also I did AX cups in all the difficulties and that wasn't too bad. Now on my to F-Zero X.

What fzero game is that in the picture, the one for the n64? 

Edit v nevermind, I see it's for gamecube. Didn't know they made one for that system.

Edited by DoctaMario

Shit man, you really missed out then. F-Zero GX is a masterpiece. I still might like F Zero X a smidge more on account of the music and track variety, but GX is not to be missed. Back in 03 my old roommate and I used to do 15 lap vs races after work- really made the eyes burn. I'm not really much of a racing fan in general, but I loved these. 

Edited by Camacho
42 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Shit man, you really missed out then. F-Zero GX is a masterpiece. I still might like F Zero X a smidge more on account of the music and track variety, but GX is not to be missed. Back in 03 my old roommate and I used to do 15 lap vs races after work- really made the eyes burn. I'm not really much of a racing fan in general, but I loved these. 

I just downloaded it, so I'm gonna check it out this week. 

My girl got me a Moga xbox controller for Christmas with a clip for my phone and I've been getting my retro fix that way. I can even output the display to my monitor so it's like the perfect emulation device. 

16 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

What fzero game is that in the picture, the one for the n64? 

Edit v nevermind, I see it's for gamecube. Didn't know they made one for that system.

It was ball busting hard...I finished the story mode on very hard years ago...and if only I could have documented it...I went around to find AX machines to get the AX parts...worth it. 

7 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

It was ball busting hard...I finished the story mode on very hard years ago...and if only I could have documented it...I went around to find AX machines to get the AX parts...worth it. 

I keep hoping they'll make an F-Zero game for switch. I'm kinda surprised they haven't yet, especially given how hype those tracks are in mario kart. 

13 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I keep hoping they'll make an F-Zero game for switch. I'm kinda surprised they haven't yet, especially given how hype those tracks are in mario kart.

feels like the current rulers of Nintendo are focusing on what is working right now...younger devs doing Splatoon, adding content for mobile games. putting money into the bigbig franchises...

I don't want to say this BUUUUT F-Zero I feel could come back...as a mobile game. 

On 3/8/2021 at 1:37 AM, TheInfernoman said:

Finally got to try this out and it's a pretty awesome game. Just the first chapter of story mode was fairly tough too, so I can only imagine how difficult it gets. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Lantis said:

Yeah, it's still a classic. Funny part is that I never went for that final missile stash in Ridley's Lair (fans will know which one I'm talking about....the one with the "impossible jump"). So I was like naaah fuck it.

I am pretty sure I got it.

I'm that dude who one sitting 1-Lifed that shit, though.

...I always killed Ridley first, too.

Might as well make the Waves Beam as useful as possible.

Bombing Kraid to death was always fun.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you know how to micro manage with Billy/Jimmy and Chin (once you recruit him), DD 3 isn't all that hard. Chin is so broken he can literally breeze through the remaining stages on his own. But fuck Ranzou, that useless POS. I just use him as a damage sponge at the beginning of the stage until he gets near death and then I can pull out Chin and the Lee brothers.

And DD 3 isn't even that long, either. I reckon I could finish it in half the time it took me to finish 2.

2 hours ago, Lantis said:

If you know how to micro manage with Billy/Jimmy and Chin (once you recruit him), DD 3 isn't all that hard. Chin is so broken he can literally breeze through the remaining stages on his own. But fuck Ranzou, that useless POS. I just use him as a damage sponge at the beginning of the stage until he gets near death and then I can pull out Chin and the Lee brothers.

And DD 3 isn't even that long, either. I reckon I could finish it in half the time it took me to finish 2.

Interesting, I guess I wasn't good enough at it to get to a point where I could recruit anyone. The NES version of DD2 is one of the best beat em ups of all time imo tho. My bro and I played it for the first time in a long time last Christmas and it was stuff fun af. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What I like the most about the version included in SF 30th Anniversary is that you can play it in widescreen and it makes the stages look HUGE (and good thing too as like you said they are very gorgeous). I don't know why other games in that collection included that option and why only 2I but it is what it is

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2021 at 9:22 PM, HD-Man said:

2nd impact still one of the most beautiful fighters ever made. It's more a esthetically pleasing than 3rd Strike, Capcom put their heart & soul into those backgrounds too. 3rd Strike still looks kinda dry in comparison, although I think that is a better fighter

I think they had to downscale the backgrounds a bit in 3s to make room for the new characters. I agree they look better in 2I, but imo 3s has a style and vibe to it that's all its own and the previous two games just seemed like generic Capcom fighters to me style wise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I owned 95 on PSX and played the hell out of 96 and 97 in the arcades. When I got a DC for Christmas, my parents got me KoF and Soul Calibur for it, and my brother got me the Agetec DC arcade stick the following week for my birthday.

Looking back, that might have been the best Christmas ever.