Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread v.Mii, Myself and I: Famicom Detective Club 5/14 - Miitopia 5/21

Welcome to The Switch thread! Coincidentally this first post is also the post no one ever reads!

This first post is dedicated to info about Nintendo’s newest Console, The Nintendo Switch! The sections below go over details about the console. The details will cover some need to knows about the consoles, accessories, online services and upcoming games. All prices listed in this post are in USD.

The thread title is generally used as a calendar of sorts for upcoming major releases whether they be for a game, dlc character, dlc expansions or any sort of Nintendo related presentation the company calls a  Nintendo Direct.

If you have any thoughts, questions or inputs on how to improve this first post feel free to tell me. Hope you enjoy your stay!

System Debut Trailer

System Information 

Hardware Overview

First Time Use

Nintendo Minute: Nintendo Switch Unboxing

The System

• 1280 x 720 Resolution
  • 32gb of internal storage
  • Supports up to 2TB SDXC Cards
  • Connect to internet via Wifi and Hotspots

spacer.png

The Switch Dock

• 1 HDMI Output
  • 1 USB 3.0 Port
  • 2 USB 2.0 Ports
  • Charges Console
  • USB Lan Adapters can connect to the Switch via the Dock as well

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Joy-Cons and Joy-Con Grip

spacer.png

spacer.png

(Not Shown: Joy-Con R has a built in NFC Reader under its right stick for scanning amiibo)

The Joy-Cons are the standard controllers for the Nintendo Switch. The controllers can be used in four ways and up to 8 Joy-Con or Paired Joy-Cons may be synced to system at once depending on the game being played or the mode within the game. The Joy-Con grip, which is shown in the second image also comes with every non-Lite console. The 4 ways to use the Joy-Con are as followed: 

• Attached to the Switch Console via the side rails
  • Removed and paired to be used by a single player controller in each hand similarly to a Wii Remote and Nunchuck controller.
  • Attached to the Joy-Con Grip to create a single player controller. 
  • Used as individual controllers for two players.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller 

rn76K9l.jpg

This is the Switch’s version of the Classic Control from the Wii and the Switch’s improved Pro Controller from the Wii U. There is an NFC reader for scanning amiibo in the middle center of controller. The Pro Controller also has 2 sets of shoulder triggers.They are L-R (Front) and ZL-ZR (Back).

It has an internal battery and comes with a 6ft USB-C charge cable that can be attached to the Switch’s Dock. As well as the Joy-Cons up to 8 Pro Controllers may be synced with the Nintendo Switch Base Console at once depending on the title or mode within the game.

More info including price and colors for Joy-Cons and Pro Controllers in the next section.

Price for System and Accessories for base model switch

System

$299.99

Joy-con L-R Controllers

$79.99 for L and R set or $49.99 each. (Comes in a variety of color combinations and styles. Full list on Nintendo’s website)

Joycon Controller Straps

$7.99 (Comes in a variety of colors and combinations. Full list on Nintendo’s website)

Switch Pro Controller

$69.99 (Matte Black finish only. Special Editions are announced from time to time.)

Nintendo Switch Lite

In addition to the Base model on the Nintend Switch there is also the Nintendo Switch Lite. Which is available for purchase now! Price is $199.99. Comes in Coral (Pink), Gray, Turquoise and Yellow.

Here is the presentation video and a website to break down of all the differences between the Standard and Lite model of systems!

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/compare/

How to prepare your Switch for Trade-In

In the unfortunate (or maybe fortunate) event that you have to trade in your Nintendo Switch or Switch Lite, Nintendo has made a handy video on how to wipe your Switch system 

Other Features and Overviews

Video Capture and Screenshot Overview

Parental Controls 

Nintendo News Channels and eShop 

Nintendo eShop Gold Points overview

Nintendo Switch Online Features, Details and Videos

Online services are available for the Switch. The online service is called Nintendo Switch Online or as I will refer to it going forward, NSO. Unfortunately there is a subscription fee ($20/year or $35/year for family plan). The following link and videos go over what you get access to with an NSO subscription.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Learn all about the different benefits of the paid online service for the Nintendo Switch system.

Nintendo Switch Online Overview

Nintendo Switch Online- Overview Trailer

How to get Started with a Nintendo Switch Online Family Membership

Virtual Console Apps

Unfortunately Virtual Console purchases are not something Nintendo wants to have this console generation. To make up for this they have created Virtual Console like apps with games from their respective system. These apps are exclusive to NSO subscribers. As of this writing (10/22/20) the only Virtual Console app’s available on NSO are the Nintendo Entertainment System aka the NES and Super Nintendo Entertainment System aka SNES.

Each virtual console app is semi-regularly updated with new titles. Once the titles are added to their respective apps they do not leave the service after x amount of time like Xbox’s GamePass.

As another perk to having the apps: Sometimes the games released through these apps have never been released outside certain regions of the world or were released in limited edition style. Examples of these situations are Vs. Excite Bike for the NES, which was never released outside of Japan and Star Fox 2 for the SNES, which was originally only available on the SNES Classic.

Lastly, In some cases Nintendo will launch “SP” version of a classic title. The SP versions dramatically change the game and/or how it’s played. Which leads me to the next section…

Explanation of "SP" Version of Titles

An example of an “SP” enhanced title is the The Legend of Zelda “SP”. When you play the SP version of the game you start the game with many late game upgrades like the White Sword and Magic Shield. You are also given a healthy amount of ammo for your sub-weapons as well as given a very healthy amount of rupees.

The point of these SP versions are not always an “easy mode” for players as not all SP versions give you perks. Sometimes they are level skips or where you are immediately transported to the end game.

Examples of both of these are Star Soldier and Ninja Gaiden respectively. When you play Star Solider “SP” you start at stage 8-of-16. When you play Ninja Gaiden “SP” you start at the the end screen of Stage 6-4 which is the screen before the final bosses.

The trailers below and tabs under them explain the Virtual Console Apps and have a list of the games available in each app since their last update.

Please Note : As of this writing (10/22/20) only the NES on NSO App has “SP” versions of titles.

Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online Overview Trailer

Titles Available for NES on NSO as of 2/17/21

Spoiler

Adventures of Lolo

Balloon Fight

Baseball

Blaster Master

Blaster Master “SP”

City Connection

Clu Clu Land

Crystalis

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong III

Donkey Kong Jr.

Double Dragon

Double Dragon II

Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario “SP”

Eliminator Boat Duel

Excite Bike

Fire n' Ice (NEW) 

Ghosts n’ Goblins

Ghosts n’ Goblins “SP”

Gradius

Gradius “SP”

Gradius " SP 2"

Ice Climber

Ice Hockey

Journey to Silius

Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus “SP”

Kirby’s Adventure

Kirby’s Adventure “SP”

Kung-Fu Heroes

Mario Bros

Metroid

Metroid “SP”

Metroid “SP 2”

Mighty Bomb Jack

Mighty Bomb Jack “SP”

NES Open

Nightshade

Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden “SP”

Pro Wrestling

Punch Out

Rygar

S.C.A.T: Special Cybernetic Attack Team

Shadow of the Ninja

Soccer

Solomon’s Key

Star Soldier

Star Soldier “SP”

Star Tropics

Dodge Ball

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels

Tecno Bowl

Tennis

The Immortal

The Legend of Zelda

The Legend of Zelda “SP”

Twin Bee

Twin Bee “SP”

Vice Project Doom

Volley Ball

Vs. Excite Bike

Wario’s Woods

Wrecking Crew

Yoshi

Zelda II: The Adventures of Link

Zelda II: The Adventures of LInk “SP”

Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online Overview Trailer

Titles Available on SNES on NSO as of 2/17/21

Spoiler

Brawl Brothers

Breath of Fire

Breath of Fire II

Demon’s Crest

Donkey Kong Country

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble 

Doomsday Warrior (NEW) 

F-Zero

Joe and Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics

Kirby Superstar

Kirby’s Dream Course

Kirby’s Dreamland 3

Mario’s Super Picross

Natsume Championship Wrestling

Operation Logic Bomb

Panel de Pon

Pilot Wings

Pop’n Twinbee

Prehistorik Man (NEW) 

Psycho Dream (NEW) 

Smash Tennis

Star Fox

Star Fox 2

Stunt Race FX

Earth Defense Force

Super Ghouls n’ Ghosts

Super Mario All Stars

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario World

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island

Super Metroid

Super Punch Out

Super Puyo Puyo 2

Super Soccer

Super Tennis

Super Valis IV

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The Ignition Factor 

The Peace Keepers

Tuff n' Nuff 

Wild Guns

If you would like to purchase either of the Classic Controllers seen in the trailers you can purchase them from Nintendo's website:

NES Classic Controller

https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-entertainment-system-controllers.html

SNES Classic Controller

https://store.nintendo.com/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-controller.html

Tetris 99

The Russian puzzle game that took the world by storm has a new way to play. Its a free and exclusive title to NSO Subscribers. It’s aptly titled,  Tetris 99 !

The easiest way to explain how the game plays is it’s Tetris Battle Royal. You play against 98 other players from all over the world while trying to survive the longest.

There are semi-regular themed online tournaments as well which are called  MAXIMUS CUPS . By participating in these you can earn icons, themes, and other cool aesthetics for your Tetris 99 profile. Additionally If you manage to place in the top 999 players of that MAXIMUS CUP you will be rewarded 999 gold points (Equivalent to $10usd) to use in the eShop (See gold points video in “other features and overviews” on how to use gold points)

The game also has daily challenges that unlock themes and icons as well as achievement like goals to unlock even more themes and icons.

Below is the official reveal for Tetris 99:

Tetris 99 DLC Pack "The Big Block DLC" 

Tetris 99 has a DLC pack titled “Big Block DLC". This DLC Pack is $9.99. It unlocks various new modes to play.

These modes include:

• Vs. CPU Mode where you face off against 98 CPU’s.
  • Marathon Mode (Similar to Score Attack)
  • 2 Player Local Battles against CPU’s.
  • Local 8-Player Private Room (Additional Systems and NSO Subscriptions Required)

Pac-Man 99! 

One of the arcades oldest OG's has came back as a battle royal with Pac-Man 99! Similar to Tetris 99, which is also available for NSO Members, Pac-Man 99 lets you duke it out with 98 other players in Pac-Man levels! Eat those, bits, fruits, ghosts and other pac-mans on the way to victory! 

Below is the debut trailer! 

Pac-Man 99 All-In-One DLC 

In addition to the base game you can also purchase a variety of modes and special themes that pay tribute to the legendary lineage of Namco games! To purchase all the DLC is $29.99. 

The all-in-one package DLC contains the following

• Private Match!: Play with friends in a private lobby locally or online!
  • CPU Battle!: Play against 98 CPU's! Change the settings to give yourself a bigger challenge!
  • Score Attack!: Can you obtain The Legendary Score of 3,333,360?!
  • Blind Time Attack!: Clear 12 stages as fast as possible. Look out for short cuts and secret power-ups!
  • 20 Themes that pay tribute to Namco's legendary arcade history!

Below is the list of Themes available for Pac-Man 99!

Spoiler
  • Galaga
  • Xevious
  • New Rally-X
  • Dig Dug 
  • Namco Classic 1
  • Namco Classic 2
  • The Tower of Drauga
  • The Genji and the Heika Clan
  • Yokai Dachuki
  • The Legend of Valkyrie 
  • Dragon Buster
  • Cosmic Gang the Video
  • Namco Classic 3
  • Wonder Momo
  • Rolling Thunder
  • Baraduke
  • The Return of Ishtar 
  • Namco Classic 4
  • Namco Classic 5
  • Bravo Man

If you're a player who is only interested in one or the other you may purchase the extra gameplay modes for $14.99. Additionally you may also buy the stages for $1.99 each. Unfortunately there is not a bundle for all 20 themes. 

Here is a trailer for all the DLC mention with a bit more of an in-depth explanation

How to Play with your Friends using your NSO Subscription!

Now the part you've been likely waiting for: How the hell do we play with our friends?! Have no fear, I am here to answer that. Unfortunately, its an answer you likely won't want to hear

DRAMATIC DRUM ROLL...

For some silly reason Friend Codes are back on the Switch! If you are not sure where to find your Friend Code you simply click on your profile icon in the top left of the Switch’s home screen and then highlight “profile”. It will then display your friend code on the right. When giving out your friend code you do  not need to add the “SW”. The Switch already takes it into account when you type in the Friend Code.

You may post your friend code here and I will update accordingly. During the change over a lot of members changed names. So I'm not sure who is who anymore outside of a handful. So please post your friend codes when able. Down below is the current list of Mega Shock members and their friends codes. Some of the user names have been changed so if you are one of them please let me know so I can edit.

Friend Code List

• beesuit:  SW-5833-1034-3040
  • CDB2k20: SW-4103-2354-5924
  • chadouken: SW-4756-2984-5098
  • Darc_Requiem: SW-7187-1409-0700
  • DarkSakul: SW-8267-4847-2783
  • Hawkingbird: SW-4818-0589-2386
  • iStu X: SW-0094-9702-6716 (hey thats me!) 
  • KimuraLOX: SW-1702-7240-9240

• KingTubb: SW-6023-0371-6931
  • MARTIAN: SW-7938-5159-4871
  • Million-X: SW-5689-0746-0099
  • RegiH81: SSW-3392-2774--3416
  • RSG3: SW-1511-3991-9320
  • TheDoctaMario: SW-0466-9468-9880
  • Sonic Human: SW-6110-4628-4232
  • YourFavGrandpa: SW-1955-7206-6697

Upcoming Games, Updates and Content

The following videos or images are trailers, overviews and sneak peaks of upcoming titles, dlc and expansions, coming to Nintendo Switch. Many of which will be exclusives to system but there will also be much anticipated titles that are non-exclusive in the videos below as well. The dates next to the game is the release window or confirmed release date of the title.

Please Note : Content in this section will be removed a day after that respective titles/expansions launch date or once all DLC for that expansion pass/season pass have been released.

Bayonetta 3 (TBA) 

Spoiler

Cris Tales (7/20/21) 

Spoiler

Diablo II: Resurrected (2021)

Spoiler

Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny (6/19/21) 

Spoiler

Famicom Detective Club Games: The Missing Heir & The Girl Who Stands Behind (5/14/21)

Spoiler

Game  Builder Garage (6/11/21)

Spoiler

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Expansion Pass (Pre-purchase available now: Wave 1 June 2021/Wave 2 November 2021) 

Spoiler

Legend of Mana Remastered (6/24/21) 

Spoiler

Mario Golf: Super Rush (6/25/21) 

Spoiler

Metroid Prime 4 (TBA) 

Spoiler

Miitopia (5/21/21) 

Spoiler

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (7/9/21) 

Spoiler

NEO: The World Ends with You (7/27/21)

Spoiler

No More Heroes III (8/27/21) 

Spoiler

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl (Q4 2021) 

Spoiler

Pokemon Legends Arceus (2022) 

Spoiler

Project Triangle Strategy (Working Title) (2022/Demo Available for download) 

Spoiler

Rune Factory 5 (5/20/21) 

Spoiler

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Remastered (5/25/21) 

Spoiler

Splatoon 3 (2022) 

Spoiler

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Character Pass Vol.2 Reveals

Spoiler

Min Min (ARMS) 

Steve/Alex (Minecraft Series) 

Sephiroth  (Final Fantasy VII)  

Pyra/Mythra (Xenoblade Chronicles series) 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge (2021) 

Spoiler

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (7/27/21) 

Spoiler

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (7/16/21) 

Spoiler

Unnamed Zelda Title/Sequel to Breath of the Wild (TBA) 

Spoiler

Edited by iStu X
Just some tidying up.

So I basically 1:1 transfered over the thread. @misterBee is going to clean it up a bit. Should be good after that. 

The Fire Emblem rerelease is dope but its fucking doodoo stupid that Nintendo is doing this Disney Vault shit with it, SMB35 and SMB 3D All Stars. 

They're doing everything they can to make as much bank before the fiscal yer is over despite the fact they've absolutely fucking dominated this year thanks to animal crossing. 

Nintendo's greed is showing and it really sucks and it's disheartening.

Edited by iStu X
22 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Wait.. FE isn't going to be available digitally afterwards?  I thought only the limited edition was limited.

Correct. It’s going to be removed from the eShop at on 4/1/21

(At the bottom highlighted in blue) 

limited edition is up for preorder though. 

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/games/products/fire-emblem-30th-anniversary-edition/11111007.html?condition=New

i preordered a copy but I don’t even k ow if I’ll keep the preorder. If I do I’ll just scalp it to someone on eBay. Mwuahahaha 

Edited by iStu X
23 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Correct. It’s going to be removed from the eShop at on 4/1/21

(At the bottom highlighted in blue) 

limited edition is up for preorder though. 

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/games/products/fire-emblem-30th-anniversary-edition/11111007.html?condition=New

i preordered a copy but I don’t even k ow if I’ll keep the preorder. If I do I’ll just scalp it to someone on eBay. Mwuahahaha 

This is...UNBELIEVABLY DUMB.  This is actually even more dumb than the Super Mario 3D Allstars situation since there isn't a physical game involved that is gonna be put in circulation.  I like FE but I don't like it enough to spend 5.99 on an old digital NES game thats going to support this tomfoolery.  I was gonna buy the game despite probably barely being able to play it but now I'm good.

Edit:  The more I think about it the more dumb it feels.  They spent time and money doing their own translation of the game...why in the hell from a business perspective would you not want to make maximum profit for your effort.  Fuckin BLOWS MY MIND right now.

Edited by Sonichuman

Nintendo deadass selling people games that they had access to for AT LEAST 10+ years and making them limited editions... for digital copies too.

I ain't even mad, this hustle is Pokémon/EA/2K tier. Buying that is straight up laughable and you can bet some absolute moron will drop the cash for it. 

Anyone wanna guess what's the next game on the Limited train? 🤣

42 minutes ago, MillionX said:

this "limited time" nonsense in the industry is some bullshit that needs to be stomped out before it becomes a major trend.  

Have you not heard of limited run games? They build a small empire based of this dumb shit. 

The whole approach they take is very manipulative. It’s why I refuse to support them. 

i have no issues posting about them because I get WHY people like them and like supporting them. But I won’t support them financially. 

Edited by iStu X
5 hours ago, Volt said:

Epona_USA_2.gif

IN

Excellent work on the OP. @iStu X

thanks man. It’s more or less the exact same one I made on REDACTED. But I still appreciate the kind words. I had put a lot of work into the thread since the switch was announced in ‘17. I didn’t want it going to waste or falling into the ether. 

It was also heavily requested by several people that one be made and I wanted to do it before someone else did. 

4 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

@iStu X good shit on the OP.

I hadn't seen the disgaea 6 trailer till now and I'm super in for that I still need to beat 4

Thanks bro. 

Gematsu actually covered a bunch of new I do about the game yesterday. Here’s the link. 

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/disgaea-6-defiance-of-destiny-details-new-main-and-generic-characters-auto-battle-more

Edited by iStu X

That limited availability for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light is whack AF but I'm still gonna drop that 6 clams for it. Been wanting to check out the earlier FE games. The 30th Anniversary Edition is mega awesome but I'm not enough of a diehard FE fan to drop the cash on it.

You can pet the dog in the new Monster Hunter? Aces. You can also pet Ceberus in Hades. I do it every time before starting a new run if he's there. He's the best three headed boy, yes he is, yes he is!

• iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread! v. For a Limited Time Only - Pikmin 3 Deluxe 10/30 - Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity 11/20
52 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Oh My God yes finally Crimzon Clover getting a console release. Fucking finally. Awesome. Hype as fuck!

R-Type Final 2 is neat to I guess lol. 

I just watched the trailer for CC and wtf man. Absolute madness. 

Edited by iStu X
31 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I just watched the trailer for CC and wtf man. Absolute madness. 

Crimzon Clover is fantastic. Shmups of the decade imo, and im not even that big on Bullet Hell, but CC is fucking satisfying, rewarding, and just over all a great time. 

Has a wonderful Novice mode to, an easy mode that actually prepares you for what comes next. 

57 minutes ago, hanzohattori12 said:

Would’ve been nice to have Ketsui on the switch. Saw a cat on YouTube called Baltimore Retro Gaming playing and hyping CC up not too long ago, so I might just pick it up.

Edit: Has The Messenger ever been discounted for this system? Not trying to pay full price.

Ketsui would be cool, but I'd rather see more of CAVES obscure titles. It was great for ESP to finally have a home release, and it would be great to see Ibara get a modern release that isn't all fucked up visually like the PS2 release is. 

It's kind of funny that the an old jp Fire Emblem game is getting  a translated release before Mother 3. I know Fire Emblem is a smaller flag ship title for Nintendo now, but wasn't the Earthbound and Mother (Earthbound Beginnings) release for the Wii U at least somewhat successful? Maybe Mother 3 is the next game in line for the "limited release" foolery.

19 hours ago, globe said:

It's kind of funny that the an old jp Fire Emblem game is getting  a translated release before Mother 3. I know Fire Emblem is a smaller flag ship title for Nintendo now, but wasn't the Earthbound and Mother (Earthbound Beginnings) release for the Wii U at least somewhat successful? Maybe Mother 3 is the next game in line for the "limited release" foolery.

I don't think that series ever did super well. Plus it's something of project related to a creator that isn't a normal game maker but a celebrity writer. I suspect they are on good enough terms they want to avoid messing with his vision which the localization probably would require due to some stuff in the game.

Edited by Wellman
9 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

This shouldn't be locked behind a subscriber wall imo. Do what you think is best tho. 

I would love to give it to everyone but uploading images could become very storage and bandwidth intensive if the site scales up in size.

I don't plan on having ads and pay out of my own pocket so this is a balance that keeps costs manageable.  Sorry!

6 hours ago, misterBee said:

I would love to give it to everyone but uploading images could become very storage and bandwidth intensive if the site scales up in size.

I don't plan on having ads and pay out of my own pocket so this is a balance that keeps costs manageable.  Sorry!

It is what it is man. 

• iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v.Mii, Myself and I: Famicom Detective Club 5/14 - Miitopia 5/21