Stage Select

The NRS Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Shao Kahn looks so sick. I really like his redesign. I think he''s gonna be the first character I try out, or maybe Ashrah. Might have to flip a coin.

Also is it just me or did Shujinko look sick? The homie went full Ultra Instinct in that Fatal Blow animation, I kinda wish he was the playable one...

Khan's redesign is lame as hell, with those shitty horns and keeping the dragon scales on his arms like in MK11, but his gameplay looks sick, as does Sindel's. I hope Sindel is not evil like MK11 and they revert her back to the good side, even tho I don't mind her being more brutal to her enemies. Motaro and Shujinko are cool Kameos. Pretty nice overall.

I like Kahn's design and based on his conversation with Sindel in the trailer, I'm inclined to believe Onaga was his father. Which would explain him still having dragon like features. IIRC he got those in the OG timeline from taking Onaga's power or something. Not as up on MK lore as I am SF. SIndel's conversation with him also seems to imply that she's the real Sindel and not that gold digging fraud from MK11. Also, Sindel actually looks like Kitana's (And Mileena in this timeline) biological mother for a change.

4 hours ago, Dracu said:

So, in the New Era, Shang Tsung is the founder of Pfizer. 

I was thinking Elizabeth Holmes personally but that was in the same vein. 

Side Note: Everyone check out @EvilCanadian's youtube channel. I only got to see one of his videos early this morning. I haven't had a chance to see the rest since I'm at work but he got some in depth coverage on the single player modes of MK1. I'm sure the rest of the video's he mentioned the story preview video have dropped by now.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I'm a little miffed that they're bringing back who they're bringing back (if you see the first few minutes of the story trailer) - feels like more re-treading. But I am curious to see where this goes. Maybe that person is not who we think they are.

Oh it's definitely that person. The design is near identical. I'm just curious as to how they are back. That is the one character I thought wouldn't be back purely for narrative reasons. I wonder if that character will end up playable? 🤔

9 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I know it's the same design. But maybe there's another shapeshifter afoot, or some other way it's not that person. I thought, just like you, they were gone for good. But I guess if Shang is still alive, then they can be too.

Shang running the Outworld version of GNC and getting bodied for it was kind of funny though. 😂

16 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

It doesn't seem like this entry will have any new characters. That's a shame

Don't worry, we got a bunch of guests along with Ashy Ermac coming in the Kombat pack 😒

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of commentary on the story mode from people that doesn't make sense.

Spoiler

Based the previously released footage, the Lin Kuei attack on the restaurant was Liu Kang testing Raiden and Kung Lao. So I think people are reading too much into it. That act, in and of itself, is not part of the seeming Lin Kuei plot to gain more power in Earth Realm. That said the Smoke giving Granny Bo that well..."smoke" was unintentionally hilarious as was the dude chilling at the bar unbothered by the top being cut off his bottle and the free ice for his drink 😂

Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm seeing a lot of commentary on the story mode from people that doesn't make sense.

Spoiler

MK fans have the memory of goldfish, I swear. On the subreddit, I keep seeing people wonder why Raiden is Liu Kang’s champion after he picked Kung Lao in 11 Aftermath’s ending. In actuality, he picked Great Kung Lao, a different person that’s separated from the one we play by at least 500 years. It makes sense why LK would chose the humble Raiden over the cocky asshole Kung Lao has become.

7 hours ago, BornWinner said:
  Hide contents

MK fans have the memory of goldfish, I swear. On the subreddit, I keep seeing people wonder why Raiden is Liu Kang’s champion after he picked Kung Lao in 11 Aftermath’s ending. In actuality, he picked Great Kung Lao, a different person that’s separated from the one we play by at least 500 years. It makes sense why LK would chose the humble Raiden over the cocky asshole Kung Lao has become.

You aren't kidding....

Spoiler

Kung Lao even mentions in the trailer about the glorious legacy of their ancestors while complaining about how he and Raiden are just stuck tending the fields. Like can people not read between the lines anymore. I mean I am really starting to wonder about MK fans. When Madam Bo starts fighting Smoke, they are all surprised. Like okay maybe the fact that her surname is Bo sailed over their heads since surnames in Asian cultures are their first names. So, they didn't catch the Bo Rai Cho connection, but she literally asks Raiden and Kung Lao if they've been keeping on their training and chides Kung Lao for saying they don't have a lot time to train. And Kung Lao says to Raiden that "Madam Bo can evaluate their technique" when they are about to spar.

7 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

This game is fire!!! At least for the story mode so far. Here is the 1st complete chapter. It has Shang Tsung in it too!!!

Spoiler

Oh no, that's Kronika alright

EDIT:

Now that I think of it. No, that is not Kronika. That is Damashi

We were literally not saying the name to avoid spoiling people man. WTF.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jocelot said:

I'm going to call Nitara in MK1 Jennifer's Body 2.

But I do really appreciate that Nitara looks pretty different amongst the other females in the game, for some reason all the other ladies are wearing bodysuits and that's kinda boring. And I'm pretty sure I saw her triangle jump wtf

I didn't catch it even though I watched the show back in the day. But the "Jen" reference between Nitara and Kung Lao is a double reference. Everyone picked up on the "Jennifer's Body" movie reference but almost everyone missed the Mortal Kombat Conquest one. Kung Lao's love interest in MKC was also called Jen.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
3 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Fox sounds much better as Nitara than Rousey was Sonya. The latter actually ruined the character in that game and the fact we had to hear her in the story was dreadful. 

I think the worst part is that they went from her obviously superior, gigachad voice actress in MKX (Tricia Helfer) to Rhonda just for the sake of pulling a celebrity. No offense to Rhonda but that's a big downgrade since Tricia was in the game for so long. 

27 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Everyone picked up on the "Jennifer's Body" movie reference but almost everyone missed the Mortal Kombat Conquest one. Kung Lao's love interest in MKC was also calle Jen.

Ahh that's a cool fact. Definitely went over my head I only really started paying attention to the MK games during MK9. 

Remember this article from way back when in a video game magazine? Could the lore romances been based off of real life romances between actors/actresses or just coincidences?

Read the last sentence in the article lol:

latest?cb=20110326202045

EDIT: for some reason this image won't embedd on Megashock.

Fact: actors Ho-Sung Pak and Katalin Zamiar, who played Liu Kang and Kitana for Mortal Kombat II in 1993, were in a romantic relationship during the game's

Edited by Jion_Wansu

So I’ve been more interested in MK1 than any other NetherRealm release. I’m curious about your opinions on the animations for the Kombatants. Since MK4, the series has had a significant amount of jank. This new one though is not as crispy as SF6  (think Ken’s free flowing Jinrai Axe Kick vs Johnny Cage’s stiff rising kick) but as a martial arts guy, overall I’m impressed by the animation quality and transition between moves. So yeah, what y’all think??

3 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

So I’ve been more interested in MK1 than any other NetherRealm release. I’m curious about your opinions on the animations for the Kombatants. Since MK4, the series has had a significant amount of jank. This new one though is not as crispy as SF6  (think Ken’s free flowing Jinrai Axe Kick vs Johnny Cage’s stiff rising kick) but as a martial arts guy, overall I’m impressed by the animation quality and transition between moves. So yeah, what y’all think??

To be honest I think this is the best animated NRS game yet. There seems to be a lot less of those obvious looking mocapped animations (y'know, the ones that look like the characters are punching from inside a constrictive invisible box) and I think for the first time there are some animations that actually look really good!

One that came to mind is Sindel's fireball where she flips backwards while her hair flings a projectile forward using her backward momentum. I watched that part of the Sindel Kombat Kast a few times because it legitimately looked very cool. The characters just seem to transition better into different moves so it looks less jank. Obviously there are still some NRSisms still around but overall I think the animations as a whole have improved a lot.

21 hours ago, Jocelot said:

To be honest I think this is the best animated NRS game yet. There seems to be a lot less of those obvious looking mocapped animations (y'know, the ones that look like the characters are punching from inside a constrictive invisible box) and I think for the first time there are some animations that actually look really good!

One that came to mind is Sindel's fireball where she flips backwards while her hair flings a projectile forward using her backward momentum. I watched that part of the Sindel Kombat Kast a few times because it legitimately looked very cool. The characters just seem to transition better into different moves so it looks less jank. Obviously there are still some NRSisms still around but overall I think the animations as a whole have improved a lot.

Yes - I didn't think I was just seeing things. The one move that I've enjoyed the most is Liu Kang's Bicycle Kick replacement, Dragon Dance. It's so fluid and both versions are actually very impressive. I'm honestly kinda surprised at the quality of the move. I think it's a huge step in quality from his Bicycle Kick.