Stage Select

The NRS Thread

On 9/9/2023 at 6:52 PM, ToreyBeans said:

So I’ve been more interested in MK1 than any other NetherRealm release. I’m curious about your opinions on the animations for the Kombatants. Since MK4, the series has had a significant amount of jank. This new one though is not as crispy as SF6  (think Ken’s free flowing Jinrai Axe Kick vs Johnny Cage’s stiff rising kick) but as a martial arts guy, overall I’m impressed by the animation quality and transition between moves. So yeah, what y’all think??

Animation has never really been NRS's strong suit, but it's reached a level as to where it is acceptable now. MK11's animation was decent. Also, the rest of the game looks incredible, from the stages to all the little details on the characters. I know it's a trend in the FGC to be condescending towards MK, but every entry is a labor of love with an amount of content and polish that leaves most other fighting games in the dust. MK11 is the best-selling fighting game of all time for a reason. 

I am definitely buying MK1. 

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly, just from casual observation, the only character's animation that bother me are Johnny Cage. His attacks seem like they lack impact. 

Right. Kinda ironic that Johnny Cage is the splits guy and his rising kick that should be one of the most impactful and fluid moves looks weak and stiff... 

3 hours ago, Volta said:

Animation has never really been NRS's strong suit, but it's reached a level as to where it is acceptable now. MK11's animation was decent. Also, the rest of the game looks incredible, from the stages to all the little details on the characters. I know it's a trend in the FGC to be condescending towards MK, but every entry is a labor of love with an amount of content and polish that leaves most other fighting games in the dust. MK11 is the best-selling fighting game of all time for a reason. 

I am definitely buying MK1. 

Yes, I'll admit that I've been among the dissenters with the animations. Honestly when the games were digitized sprites the moves and animations looked solid and impressive for that time. I went back to watching the first three MK games and the martial artists who performed those moves knew what they were doing. Their technique was crisp and believable. But I'm not too sure what happened after MK3 up to MKA. I am glad that MK1 will be a treat to play though from a visual standpoint. I can definitely do without the fatalities - they don't offer anything gameplay wise anyway, but sign me up for playing on Thursday cuz I'm about to get it in!!!

Some dude got a early copy and played through the entire story mode on his Twitch stream. He also posted a downloadable file of the VOD. So that shit has spread like while fire, so everybody and their mama on social media basically knows everything about the story. I've been trying to find footage how just how bad the Switch version looks and that's been very hard. Story details are just out in the ether at this point.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Accessibility Options

Additionally, Mortal Kombat 1 will feature an extensive set of accessibility options for players, including audio descriptions and cues for on-screen action that plays contextually during gameplay. For the full list, click here.

Hello Kombatants!

You’ll find the accessibility features and options available for Mortal Kombat 1 players listed below.

Spoiler

Visual

Screen Reader

Narration for menu items is available. All users are initially guided towards the Text-to-Speech feature on the first launch.

Colorblind Modes

Colorblind pre-set modes edit user interface (UI) and heads-up display (HUD) elements that might not be accessible to all in their original colors. Presets exist for Protanopia (Green Light), Deuteranopia (Red Light), and Tritanopia (Blue Light). The intensity of the colorblind mode can be adjusted.

Display Settings

Brightness can be adjusted at any time.

Lowered Health Bars

Players can lower HUD location of Health Bars through the Options menu, placing them closer to the focal point of the screen.

Descriptive Audio

Enable descriptive audio narration describing events happening on screen. Supports all Story cinematics, Fatalities, and Fatal Blows.

Extra Audio Feedback

Users can choose between four presets that toggle additional audio cues for gameplay elements. The volume of these cues can be tweaked individually:

• Distance between Fighters – Adjust the volume of a sound cue that gets faster and quieter as distance increases.
  • Health Meter – Adjust the volume of sounds that play at certain health thresholds. Occurs at 75%, 50%, 25%, and critical health.
  • End of Fight Line – Adjust the volume of audio that plays when a fighter is at the end of an arena.
  • Ducking – Adjust the volume of sounds that play when a character ducks and stands up.
  • Blocking – Adjust the volume of a sound that plays when characters block and stop blocking.
  • Hit Type – Adjust the volume of unique sounds that play for high, mid, low, or overhead hits.

Invasions Mode Navigation Assistance

When the player arrives at an Invasions mode location, the game will play four sounds corresponding to these directions in sequence – Up, Right, Down, and Left. The status of each direction is represented by the sounds that play when you adjust the volume on this setting. The sounds represent these statuses in sequence – Objective, Available, Locked, No Path.

Auditory

Separate Volume Controls

Individual controls are available for users to configure:

• Cinematics – Story cinematics and rendered movies.
  • Music – In-game music.
  • Announcer – Announcer’s voice.
  • Ambience – Ambient sounds.
  • Dialogue – Spoken dialogue.
  • Sound Effects – All sound effects from characters and user interface.

Screen Reader volume can be customized under the Accessibility tab.

Audio Mix Presets

Quickly set audio categories to values that support increased accessibility or return them to defaults.

• Default – Resets all audio sliders to default values.
  • Light Support – Clarifies gameplay-related audio without altering the primary mix very much.
  • Medium Support – Clarifies gameplay audio significantly and adds mild support through Enhanced Audio Feedback.
  • Heavy Support – Mutes music and ambience and adds all Extra Audio Feedback.

Subtitles

Users can enable subtitles that support all key dialogue in Story mode as well as supplemental dialogue such as pre-fight dialogue and quips said during gameplay. Subtitles are on by default. Users can also modify the subtitle size.

Detailed Audio Effects
Users can tweak specific VFX noises:

• Hit/Block
  • Fighter Movement
  • Vocalization
  • Gameplay Modifier
  • Special Moves
  • Environmental Detail
  • Fight HUD

Directional Surround Sound

Players can adjust the audio experience according to the audio hardware that is being used on the first boot and then in the Options menu. Sounds can be set as directional for gameplay via stereo or surround sound setups.

Motor

Remappable Controls

All gameplay inputs can be customized and remapped to a different button input. Remapping controls cannot be applied to menu navigation. The four-face button and four-shoulder button controls can be remapped for these inputs:

• Front Punch
  • Back Punch
  • Front Kick
  • Back Kick
  • Throw
  • Block
  • Kameo
  • Flip Stance

Input Shortcuts

Users can enable Input Shortcuts which lessen the directional precision required for special moves.

Button Shortcuts

Users can toggle multi-button inputs for single-button moves.

Test Your Might Gameplay Assistance Toggle

Users can toggle off the requirement for rapid button mashing for Test Your Might segments during Story mode.

Practice

Tutorials

Extensive Tutorials are included covering virtually every aspect of the game. All the Tutorials can be re-accessed at user discretion.

Tutorial Demos

Most tutorial segments provide a demonstration that shows button inputs and timing for practice.

Practice Modes

A controlled environment where users can learn their fighter’s moveset, with a wide array of customizable behaviors. Fatality practice can also be accessed, with the timer constraint being disabled.

Advanced Communication System
Speech to Text

Voice chat is transcribed into captions on-screen in real-time.

Keyboard to Speech

All text typed into the chat is narrated allowing for more players to use voice chat without the need of speech.

Note: This feature will be coming to the Nintendo Switch version of the game at a later date.

General

Settings Tooltips

All settings are accompanied by tooltips to inform users of what is affected.

Autosaving

The title includes an autosave feature, which saves progress at key moments during gameplay.

Accessibility Feedback

Accessibility (aka: a11y) means avoiding and correcting any unnecessary friction or barriers that prevent people with a range of impairments from enjoying games. We believe games are for everyone and strive to create and maintain accessible titles for all our players.

This includes problems related to any form of impairment: visual, motor, auditory, cognitive, or other. As well as any issues related to accessibility legislation such as the FCC’s CVAA (21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act).

Please email us at able@wbgames.com for any issues you experience related to accessibility (aka: a11y). For issues not related to accessibility, please contact us by clicking here to submit a ticket.

Edited by AriesWarlock

Hmmm I dunno if it was intentional but there is something homoerotic about Reiko that makes me want to use him. Honestly probably gonna end up my day 1 main since I'm still kinda disappointed with how Ashrah turned out.

Overall I think NRS kinda fumbled the bag with the MK1 hype train. With the 3 or so months from announcement to launch we got a lot of cool content and streams but the last week or so was radio silent. No more Kombat Kasts for a bunch of characters that were shown from the start. Like I'm pretty sure that footage of Mileena from the launch trailer was the most gameplay we've seen from her since the reveal. 

And Reiko got full on revealed during the launch trailer. Not a big deal since the game is out in days but just kinda weird

18 hours ago, Jocelot said:

Hmmm I dunno if it was intentional but there is something homoerotic about Reiko that makes me want to use him. Honestly probably gonna end up my day 1 main since I'm still kinda disappointed with how Ashrah turned out.

Overall I think NRS kinda fumbled the bag with the MK1 hype train. With the 3 or so months from announcement to launch we got a lot of cool content and streams but the last week or so was radio silent. No more Kombat Kasts for a bunch of characters that were shown from the start. Like I'm pretty sure that footage of Mileena from the launch trailer was the most gameplay we've seen from her since the reveal. 

And Reiko got full on revealed during the launch trailer. Not a big deal since the game is out in days but just kinda weird

Somebody has to be the Alex of MK. Now NRS fans can spam their Twitch stream chats with "Where's the Reiko trailer" or "Reiko trailer when?" etc. Now all we need is Reiko to accuse Geras of being a mugger in the story mode and the circle will be complete.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

REIKO LET'S FUCKING GO! Too bad they didn't show any of his classic moves. Also, I wish he didn't have pupils, since he looks like just a dude with facepaint... but it's fucking Reiko, so let's GOOOOO! Now they just need to bring Kai back and MK4 characters will finally get the well deserved second chance.

Sadly Shinnok still needs his third chance to bring out his potential, a chance I'm not sure they'll be willing to give him.

Out of the PS2 era, Hotaru and Taven are the remaining ones that I think are worth a comeback. Maybe Taven and Daegon too. And of course, Onaga as a final boss.

20 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@DracuI'm sort of surprised they brought back Havik without Hotaru. They sort of go hand and hand IMO or at least they did in the original timeline. Plus, Hotaru has one of the better 3D era designs. He's basically a lava wielding samurai IIRC.

Double post, but I think Hotaru's coming back too. At bare minimum as  Kameo. Havik and him go hand-in-hand, especially in this new timeline where Havik is rebelling within the realm of order.

5 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

Double post, but I think Hotaru's coming back too. At bare minimum as  Kameo. Havik and him go hand-in-hand, especially in this new timeline where Havik is rebelling within the realm of order.

Yeah there is no Chaos Realm in the "new era". I just sorta of assumed that Havik's foil in his rebellion would be Hotaru. Like you said, he's probably coming back in some form. Preferrably playable.

Good to see they're (apparently) back to Koins and not that garbage they had last game where you had to earn every piece in an undisclosed manner in the Krypt.

Though I could be speaking too soon. Maybe those are the Dragon Krystals they're talking about in the premium pre-order bonus. If that's their new Virtual Currency, you may still have to deal with some fuck shit to get them. Especially if they're giving them out as a premium bonus.

Edited by axeman61
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Personally I think it’s worse, but Nitara has less dialogue than 11 Sonya so I guess it’s fine. 

They should just modeled Nitara after Sonya's old voice actress and hired her to do the job. Tricia Helfer is attractive and can actually voice act. It agitated me when they replaced her with Rousey. Who isn't attactive, can't voice act, and who's fame was on the decline. So it wasn't even good stunt casting choice. The fact that they modeled Nitara's face after Megan Fox bud didn't model Sonya's after Ronda Rousey's says it all. No one want's Sonya looking like Will Sasso.

For reference, Tricia Helfer

desktop-wallpaper-tricia-helfer.jpg

Oh and I wasn't kidding about the Will Sasso thing....

Spoiler

1*uTHalHO90lMKB4tvNxEsPg.jpeg

actor-will-sasso-82608_large.jpg?1587347

🙃

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I watched the full story on YouTube too so I'll give my quick thoughts. Will do my best to keep it spoiler free as I spitball here:

- After three full games as jobbers, Baraka and Reptile actually get to be pretty cool in this game. However, sadly, the jobber torch is picked up by a few new characters. There's especially a pretty major one who they make completely useless.

- I had my reservations on the Scorpion/Sub-Zero dynamic from the start and the story certainly confirmed I was right. What they did yo Bi Han especially was terrible, turning him from a tragic character into a full on asshole. Making Kuai Liang Scorpion brought nothing to the table. Probably the most wasted characters in the entire story.

- Geras was awesome. After a lackluster debut in 11, I must say he really stood out as a hidden gem in this one. He was certainly dragged down by being under Kronika, the shittiest villain ever, but while his character and deamenor didn't change much, being under Liu Kang served him much better. Great redemption! 

- The lack of Special Forces was great. Too long had the cast been treated as GI Joe. Mortal Kombat works best as a martial arts fantasy story, not 80's action flick.

- The overall story felt pretty basic, turning into an absolute clusterfuck by the end, but the throwbacks to the PS2 era and some creative gameplay choices in the finale at least make it interesting. However, this is without a doubt the worst of the Netherrealm stories bar none. It doesn't take advantage of it being a compelety blank state, instead chosing to tread old grounds again without much change... and when there is change, it's usually nothing too exciting or bold. Sadly, I see little potential with this new version of the cast. They simply aren't that well fleshed out. MK9 did the pseudo-reboot thing much better!

- The arcade endings are actually continuing from the story and they are probably all canon, so I reccommend finishing story before doing arcade, as you might get spoiled. They are all pretty happy and optimistic too, a first in MK history! Liu Kang certainly keeps the timeline better than Kronika.

- Speaking of Liu Kang, he's still awesome. While I didn't really like MK11's story, him turning back into the main hero was the reason why I forgave everything in that game (except the Sindel nonesense), so seeing him still treated with respect was good. It would've been so easy to screw him up again, but, at least for now, he seems safe.

- Megan Fox sucks, but not as bad as Rhonda. I also think she probably recorded her lines somewhere comepletely different from the rest of the cast. Her audio / voice mixing sounds screwed up. 

- Tanya looks better than in the trailer. Too bad they chose basically the most unflattering shot for her reveal. Her design is still pretty bad tho. That hair man... it sucks so bad!

-  Tanya, Shao Khan, Rain and Ermac are the worst redesigns by far but almost none of them are good. So weird how they finally got Reptile right after two decades, but screw up most of everyone else. I hope there are good alternate costumes in the game, cause these new looks are crap and they do not change by the end.

- Shang Tsung's actor is pretty nice. Certainly inspired by the performance Kagawa gave in 11. Hope they keep him moving forward and stop recasting every five minutes.

That's it for now. Will share more once it's open season with spoilers, cause I have a lot more complaining to do, but I don't wanna ruin the experience for anyone.

Shang’s VA was top notch he grabs attention in every scene he is in. 

Yeah the story felt really good for the first 1/3rd, passable for the 2/3rd, and by the last bit I considered just turning it off. 

I also share Dracu’s dislike of the new Sub/Scorpion and they are the only new timeline/new background refreshes i don’t like. Without going into spoilers Kuai Liang feels like a pointless cosplay of Scorpion and Bi-Han barely even feels like a character. Maybe this is the trade off for no SF characters but I’m super disappointed in this version of them. 

Edited by Vhozite
30 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Gotta say I'm starting to think Ronda was a better voice actress than Meghan; her lines sounds so... flat.

I don’t know anything about audio but her dialogue is so bad I feel like it’s unedited or on a bad mic or something. 

1 hour ago, Volta said:

Worse than Rousey...? I find that hard to believe.

Rousey sounded like she was trying to voice act but just sucked because it’s a job that requires actual skill/effort. Fox sounds like she is literally reading the script off a paper in her living room.

Just beat the story mode:

Spoiler

It wasn't good to me. It was ok-to-good up until they revealed who the real villain was, then it just cratered. They wasted the potential of a new era and got too crazy toward the end, to the point I don't even care anymore. Maybe I'll feel better about it on rewatch (if I do that), but right now I feel even my effort trying not to spoil this was wasted. Had I known this is how it was going to turn out, I'd have just watched it on youtube.

This is a shining example of how multiverse can ruin shit if it's not done right. I know this isn't multiverse in name (this is different timelines), but it's tomato tomahto. It really feels like they just ran out of ideas and are doing anything now.

9 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Reveal hidden contents

It wasn't good to me. It was ok-to-good up until they revealed who the real villain was, then it just cratered. They wasted the potential of a new era and got too crazy toward the end, to the point I don't even care anymore. Maybe I'll feel better about it on rewatch (if I do that), but right now I feel even my effort trying not to spoil this was wasted. Had I known this is how it was going to turn out, I'd have just watched it on youtube.

This is a shining example of how multiverse can ruin shit if it's not done right. I know this isn't multiverse in name (this is different timelines), but it's tomato tomahto. It really feels like they just ran out of ideas and are doing anything now.

For me...

Spoiler

The villain reveal didn't bother me. Although I was hoping for playable Kronika. Usually the unplayable MK boss becomes playable in the following game. What bothered me was that it went beyond both Aftermath endings happening. It's all of the arcade endings happened too. Which completely removed the stakes. So everyone on the MK11 roster is a Keeper of Time somewhere? Really? Both Aftermath endings happening and the two timelines fighting to be the last one? Cool. Everyone and their mama getting a timeline? Meh. If they were going to shit the bed, they could have at least given us a Titan Madam Bo 😉

10 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah this mirrors my thoughts pretty much to the letter.

Spoiler

MK1 has the same problem as Marvel where everything is a world/timeline ending threat. Shang threatening the timeline happened literally right in the last game and we basically get the same shit here even though they went out of their way to establish this as a clean slate. 

At least stretch out other story elements over a few games so we can have a breather from the timeline nonsense to focus on other aspects of the story. The first arc with Earthrealm training for the tournament was a cool opportunity to reset and explore reborn characters. Instead we get:

* A glorified training montage and Raiden literally soloing Outworld in half an hour (including beating like 4 characters off screen) after getting his thunder powers from an amulet. 

* Shang goes from a merchant to a sorcerer in Sindel’s court after 1 conversation and a bunch of shit happening off screen. 

* Quan Chi’s entire background happening off screen despite being a major portion of the second arc.

* Scorpion and Sub being basically a meaningless subplot that makes them enemies in the most ham fisted way possible. 

* Mileena having Tarkat and it causing issues in the royal court amounting to basically nothing besides being an excuse to give her fangs. 

And I’m sure I’m missing some stuff. All of those plot lines get cucked just so we can rush to the significantly less interesting conclusion of MK11 Shang threatening reality…again. Like cmon we couldn’t do anything else?

Spoiler

This would've been so much better if it had been anything than the ending.

Multiverse sucks. "Oh in another place there's another version of this guy who never died" Fucking great, its just a lazy shit way to make sure people come back to life.

This feels like they wrote themselves into a corner and fix it with nonsense.

One more time, multiverse stuff sucks. Just don't do it. The only time any type of multiverse situation was dope was in Sliders. Otherwise it sucks dicks.

Outside of that, Rain has the most unintentionally funny ending ever. Holy shit.

55 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah this mirrors my thoughts pretty much to the letter.

Reveal hidden contents

MK1 has the same problem as Marvel where everything is a world/timeline ending threat. Shang threatening the timeline happened literally right in the last game and we basically get the same shit here even though they went out of their way to establish this as a clean slate. 

At least stretch out other story elements over a few games so we can have a breather from the timeline nonsense to focus on other aspects of the story. The first arc with Earthrealm training for the tournament was a cool opportunity to reset and explore reborn characters. Instead we get:

* A glorified training montage and Raiden literally soloing Outworld in half an hour (including beating like 4 characters off screen) after getting his thunder powers from an amulet. 

* Shang goes from a merchant to a sorcerer in Sindel’s court after 1 conversation and a bunch of shit happening off screen. 

* Quan Chi’s entire background happening off screen despite being a major portion of the second arc.

* Scorpion and Sub being basically a meaningless subplot that makes them enemies in the most ham fisted way possible. 

* Mileena having Tarkat and it causing issues in the royal court amounting to basically nothing besides being an excuse to give her fangs. 

And I’m sure I’m missing some stuff. All of those plot lines get cucked just so we can rush to the significantly less interesting conclusion of MK11 Shang threatening reality…again. Like cmon we couldn’t do anything else?

Great thoughts. I agree on all points and I also would like to add 

Spoiler

- Ermac becoming Jerrod and then Sindel dying 5 minutes later. Like, what's the point? Now they turned Ermac into this kind of Alien X, based on his arcade ending, but he's not even the ruler of Outworld anyway, so it all feels pointless if this conflict can't bear any meaningful outcomes. At least having the whole family being reunited in the end would have been cute.

- The Lin Kuei suck. Bi Han is basically old timeline Sektor: Grandmaster's son who wants more power. Scorpion being Kuai Liang is pointless. It doesn't make the rivalry anymore personal than it was, since Bi Han being an asshole with no reedeming qualities from the start makes Scorpion 100% justified in all his actions. 

In the old timeline Bi Han was a noble but misguided warrior, who, when given the chance could have spared Scorpion but didn't. This led Scorpion on a path of revenge, eventually killing Bi Han and condemning him to the Netherealm's machinations, while Kuai Liang was set on the same path as Scorpion, but eventually proving to be the better man and forgiving his brother's killer. 

The new version just has no weight behind it. The two being blood brothers means nothing when one is clearly the bad guy and the other is the good guy.

- I really liked what they were going for with Li Mei and I think she was a good character, but man, her whole backstory felt so contrived and the hatred the Royal Family and the Umgadi had for her went out in like 5 minutes for no real reason. She didn't do anything to earn everyone's trust in such a short time. If Liu Kang was evil she could've been a mole and do exactly the same things and the Royal Familiy would have been screwed.

- Raiden going from getting his ass kicked by the Lin Kuei and Kung Lao in a day, to him becoming Earthrealm's champion in what... a week? A month? A year? He couldn't beat freaking Smoke, but smoked Outworld's entire forces. All this really felt so rushed.

- The most well written part of the story is surely Johnny's and Kenshi's relationship. They start hating eachother, then become friendly rivals, then Kenshi gets Sento back and him getting it also make a pretty big difference, as he is the one stopping Ermac, who really felt like a force to be reckoned with during his debut, but absorbing some of the souls and allowing Jerrod to gain control and help the good guys. I think this little side plot worked extremely well.