Stage Select

The NRS Thread

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

For me...

Hide contents

The villain reveal didn't bother me. Although I was hoping for playable Kronika. Usually the unplayable MK boss becomes playable in the following game. What bothered me was that it went beyond both Aftermath endings happening. It's all of the arcade endings happened too. Which completely removed the stakes. So everyone on the MK11 roster is a Keeper of Time somewhere? Really? Both Aftermath endings happening and the two timelines fighting to be the last one? Cool. Everyone and their mama getting a timeline? Meh. If they were going to shit the bed, they could have at least given us a Titan Madam Bo 😉

Spoiler

I hated the reveal for the multiverse more than the villain. Don't get me wrong, I was bummed it wasn't a new villain, but the "Oh GOD NO" I let out in my head once I realized they were doing multiverse stuff coincided with stuff going downhill.

Edited by axeman61
5 minutes ago, Dracu said:

Great thoughts. I agree on all points and I also would like to add 

Hide contents

- Ermac becoming Jerrod and then Sindel dying 5 minutes later. Like, what's the point? Now they turned Ermac into this kind of Alien X, based on his arcade ending, but he's not even the ruler of Outworld anyway, so it all feels pointless if this conflict can't bear any meaningful outcomes. At least having the whole family being reunited in the end would have been cute.

- The Lin Kuei suck. Bi Han is basically old timeline Sektor: Grandmaster's son who wants more power. Scorpion being Kuai Liang is pointless. It doesn't make the rivalry anymore personal than it was, since Bi Han being an asshole with no reedeming qualities from the start makes Scorpion 100% justified in all his actions. 

In the old timeline Bi Han was a noble but misguided warrior, who, when given the chance could have spared Scorpion but didn't. This led Scorpion on a path of revenge, eventually killing Bi Han and condemning him to the Netherealm's machinations, while Kuai Liang was set on the same path as Scorpion, but eventually proving to be the better man and forgiving his brother's killer. 

The new version just has no weight behind it. The two being blood brothers means nothing when one is clearly the bad guy and the other is the good guy.

- I really liked what they were going for with Li Mei and I think she was a good character, but man, her whole backstory felt so contrived and the hatred the Royal Family and the Umgadi had for her went out in like 5 minutes for no real reason. She didn't do anything to earn everyone's trust in such a short time. If Liu Kang was evil she could've been a mole and do exactly the same things and the Royal Familiy would have been screwed.

- Raiden going from getting his ass kicked by the Lin Kuei and Kung Lao in a day, to him becoming Earthrealm's champion in what... a week? A month? A year? He couldn't beat freaking Smoke, but smoked Outworld's entire forces. All this really felt so rushed.

- The most well written part of the story is surely Johnny's and Kenshi's relationship. They start hating eachother, then become friendly rivals, then Kenshi gets Sento back and him getting it also make a pretty big difference, as he is the one stopping Ermac, who really felt like a force to be reckoned with during his debut, but absorbing some of the souls and allowing Jerrod to gain control and help the good guys. I think this little side plot worked extremely well.

I'll add on as well.

Spoiler

Jerrod says that his death wasn't Li Mei's fault....and they don't elaborate on it at all. The implication is that someone close to the royal family, that wouldn't have drawn suspicion from the Umgadi, killed him. Who? Moreover shouldn't Jerrod tell Sindel, Mileena, Kitana, etc. about it. I'm sure who ever it was is still around.

I agree on the whole Mileena thing. Her Tarkat was just away from them to give her similar gameplay while she's essentially a new character entirely. It's like wanted to completely ditch the Half Tarkatan aspect of her character and didn't have the stones to follow through out of fear of the Mileena fanbase. 

Also, Kitana should be Empress. Tarkat aside, Mileena just doesn't seem cut out for the role. Like the Bi-Han and Kuai Liang situation, the people of Outworld's preference for Kitana is backed up by Mileena's behavior. Her temperament and impulsive behavior seems ill suited to ruling the realm. I was hoping for the perception of her to be misconstrued but it was not. 

I agree with you take on the Raiden situation. NRS could have done what they have in the past. Use the previous games version of characters, with a visual redesign to allow them to show up in the story even if they aren't playable. So you could fight against Sheeva or Kotal instead of just hearing about them. Also, I'm not a fan of Raiden's powers coming from his amulet. He should have been like Bi-Han and Kual Ling are with ice/fire. Raiden should have had a natural affinity to lighting. Just have it awakened during his training at the Wushi academy. 

Too many of the changes were done just to be different instead of being done to tell an interesting story. 

Spoiler

The Jerrod dialogue feels like it was an early plot point that got erased but then they forgot to update the script. I took it as them hinting that Timeline Shang had been up to a lot of fuckery well before he contacted others. Kind of felt like Quan Chi may have been up to no good longer than Shang Stun in the Liu timeline. Think you also get a sense that maybe the way Mileena was infected had to do with Timeline Shang (What are we calling the multiverse shang?) interference.

Think what you're supposed to feel about Raiden, Bi-Han and a few other characters is that there is a "shadow" feeling in them from previous timelines. As if in some ways Liu Kang restructuring everything still left some issues. That or there is just something to the personalities of some people that still lead them down dark paths. I would've rathered this had been the story rather than multiverse stuff though.

25 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'll add on as well.

Hide contents

Jerrod says that his death wasn't Li Mei's fault....and they don't elaborate on it at all. The implication is that someone close to the royal family, that wouldn't have drawn suspicion from the Umgadi, killed him. Who? Moreover shouldn't Jerrod tell Sindel, Mileena, Kitana, etc. about it. I'm sure who ever it was is still around.

I agree on the whole Mileena thing. Her Tarkat was just away from them to give her similar gameplay while she's essentially a new character entirely. It's like wanted to completely ditch the Half Tarkatan aspect of her character and didn't have the stones to follow through out of fear of the Mileena fanbase. 

Also, Kitana should be Empress. Tarkat aside, Mileena just doesn't seem cut out for the role. Like the Bi-Han and Kuai Liang situation, the people of Outworld's preference for Kitana is backed up by Mileena's behavior. Her temperament and impulsive behavior seems ill suited to ruling the realm. I was hoping for the perception of her to be misconstrued but it was not. 

I agree with you take on the Raiden situation. NRS could have done what they have in the past. Use the previous games version of characters, with a visual redesign to allow them to show up in the story even if they aren't playable. So you could fight against Sheeva or Kotal instead of just hearing about them. Also, I'm not a fan of Raiden's powers coming from his amulet. He should have been like Bi-Han and Kual Ling are with ice/fire. Raiden should have had a natural affinity to lighting. Just have it awakened during his training at the Wushi academy. 

Too many of the changes were done just to be different instead of being done to tell an interesting story. 

Spoiler

I think too much stuff was done to make things the same/comfortable.

They did everything they could to bring everyone back to "normal" and have history repeat itself. It's just that a couple things here and there are different. And they threw in multiverse, so now there's very little stakes to anything.

I would have hoped they'd use this timeline to do things noticeably different without a multiverse and resorting back to Shang Tsung as the main bad guy. But they just preserved the status quo plus or minus a few things.

Spoiler

While I dislike the Multiverse aspect of it all, I must say I hated the final bosses reveal even more. 

You have the entire game trying to fight the new Deadly Alliance, but you know from the start they are controlled from the shadows by another higher power... only to have it revealed to be a SECOND Deadly Alliance... like, it feels so redundant.

The story certainly feels like it was written with Onaga in mind as final boss. I think its entirely possible WB mandated they include the multiverse shit. 

They had the Deadly Alliance reviving the army, Shang Tsung playing the role of Shujinko and the final Armageddon battle... all shouting out the PS2 era. They brought back the stand out characters introduced in DA and Deception, but the stand out boss of that storyline was skipped. Something seems very fishy, the more I think about it.

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'll add on as well.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It’s a messy way to confirm stuff, but they explained the cause of Jerrod’s death in Tanya’s arcade ending. She finds out it was the higher members of the Umgadi didn’t protect him and used Li Mei as a scapegoat. Tanya then reforms the Umgadi by getting those responsible arrested and is made the leader of them. When Ermac becomes playable, I expect this to get extended.

Mileena’s ending has her reveal her affliction to the public. Though it caused a scandal, her honesty and effort to take care of the Tarkatans swayed people’s opinion of her.

All arcade endings are written to be a conclusion to the characters from the story mode and none of them contradict each other. I wish it could’ve been shown in the story mode over going multiversal, but I’m glad that they’re followed up on at all.

Edited by BornWinner
Spoiler

While the story does take a nosedive once the multiverse conflict is introduced, I don't hate it because the final chapter being a massive throwback to Armageddon. The pyramid, the massive roster, the amalgamation of characters (I think this is a reference to that game's kreate a character mode), the death traps, etc. That chapter is a love letter to that game. 

I must echo the dislike for he Lin Kuei in this game. Nothing was done with the new changes and I hated seeing Bi-Han become a cartoon villain. Like it didn't take much at all to get him to turn. In fact, it didn't take much for any character to gain the trust but it especially egregious here. 

So I also did Sub and Scorpion ladder.

Bi-han

Spoiler

He manages to successfully get the Lin Kuei under his full control and has ambitions into turning them into a super power. In order to do that he will need a force akin to the dragon army. At Sektor suggestion he turns to science rather than magic so Lin Kuei can stay under Liu's radar. Bi-han creates the cyber initiative with the dragon army being it's inspiration.

Scorpion

Spoiler

After being hunted by the Lin Kuei, Kuei and Smoke flee to Japan so they can hideout with a childhood friend of Kuei, Harumi. They grew closer during their time together and eventually married. He named the shirai Ryu after his wife and vowed to use the shirai Ryu to uphold the principles the Lin Kuei forsaken.

Spoiler

Anyone think that Mortal Kombat 1 is the curtain call of the Mortal Kombat story/lore. It comes full circle. From Mortal Kombat to Mortal Kombat 1. Kinda like Flash and Reverse Flash dynamic with Liu Kang and Shang Tsung. This multiverse thing also opens up can of worms for fighting game characters from other franchises to do battle. Maybe they did that deliberately. I can see Vega wanting to take over all of the timelines and existence while being in ultra instinct super psyhco power mode. I new threat to all! Final boss once again being Vega in a game that crosses Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Street Fighter, King of Fighters!!!!

51 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

Story goes from having some of the best character stuff to totally nosediving into the worst sort of current-trend story-telling garbage.

Also a bunch of characters are far less interesting. The Lin Kuei are ESPECIALLY atrocious. Every single one.

My thoughts....at work so I can't really go into as much detail as I'd like.

Spoiler

Yeah Bi Han is the MK1 version of Sindel. Although his character assassination isn't as bad as Sindel's was. Kuai Liang and Tomaz (Smoke) are the same characters as before. Kuai Liang just has a pyromancy instead of cryomancy. Being Scorpion literally has zero effect on Kuai Liang's character. Bi Han goes from a tragic character to just a mustache twirling villain. It the OG timeline he, like Hanzo was a victim of Quan Chi's manipulation. Now there is no nuance at all. He's already too far gone when the story begins, he let his own father die over a difference in philosophy. So, there is no tension when Shang Tsung offers him a deal. You know he's going to take it.

2 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Story goes from having some of the best character stuff to totally nosediving into the worst sort of current-trend story-telling garbage.

Also a bunch of characters are far less interesting. The Lin Kuei are ESPECIALLY atrocious. Every single one.

Spoiler

I can probably write a college thesis on how badly they fucked up Bi-Han. They've turned him into Sektor. The fact that his relationship with Kuai Liang wasn't used add nuance to conflict is a wasted opportunity. Fuck that, we will do the same old shit with the names flipped around.

34 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

I can probably write a college thesis on how badly they fucked up Bi-Han. They've turned him into Sektor. The fact that his relationship with Kuai Liang wasn't used add nuance to conflict is a wasted opportunity. Fuck that, we will do the same old shit with the names flipped around.

Spoiler

Yes! EXACTLY! He's just Sektor! So now Sektor has to be watered down and changed even more! Everything about the core OG ninjas has been ruined for a far worse imitation.

Then you have the other ridiculous stuff like Scorpion's ending where the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu go to war...and we see CHINESE Bi-Han dressed in a Japanese Hakama while wielding a katana. WTF, NRS?

6 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:
  Hide contents

Yes! EXACTLY! He's just Sektor! So now Sektor has to be watered down and changed even more! Everything about the core OG ninjas has been ruined for a far worse imitation.

Then you have the other ridiculous stuff like Scorpion's ending where the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu go to war...and we see CHINESE Bi-Han dressed in a Japanese Hakama while wielding a katana. WTF, NRS?

Spoiler

From what I seen from Bi-Han arcade ending, Sektor in this new timeline is Bi-Han right hand. He's the one who suggested the cyber initiative and the one creating the cyborgs. He must be evil Donatello now.

1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

From what I seen from Bi-Han arcade ending, Sektor in this new timeline is Bi-Han right hand. He's the one who suggested the cyber initiative and the one creating the cyborgs. He must be evil Donatello now.

Dammit fam...

Spoiler

Now I'm imagining Sektor as a purple ninja with glasses and a bo staff 

😂

This guy has some Geras mixups:

trmk org  /forums / threads /mortal-kombat-1-general-discussion-media-thread.554780/page-35#post-1400605

lol at the youtube comment lol

I still can’t believe they give this brother Genei Jin. Wild

For context. The Motaro teleport gives strange properties.

Edited by Jion_Wansu

Something peculiar I noticed...

I was labbing Sub, and I noticed that the Ice Klone frequently will not execute. I look at the inputs on the side of the screen and I see that I'm doing it correctly, yet the move won't come out. I also never fumble the Ice Ball, which is the exact same move when you're facing the other side.

Seems like a bug. Anyone else experience this? I'm on Series X, by the way.

On 9/27/2023 at 10:31 AM, elliephil said:

Do you have negative edge turned off? It was messing up everything for me.

I found out what it is. After the clone disappears, there's a 5 second cooldown (heh) until you can do the move again. I'm guessing this was done intentionally, so you can't simply keep using it over and over when you're up against a character that has no projectile or screen-clearing move.

18 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Megan did a better job at handling negative reception than Rousey.

Rousey has never been good at taking criticism. She refused to talk to MMA media after losing to Holm. And she did no media in the lead up to the ass whooping she got from Nunes.

22 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

I think DJ Dimitri Vegas takes the cake

Please stop linking this. I'd rather watch LTG stream than ever see this again.