Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

6 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

Watched ep 1 too

Reveal hidden contents

I hope they explain when Sabine began to wield a saber. Feels off to me but she did have for a hot min the darksaber. Ahsoka here is a bit more...serious and that's fine but I do miss a smidge of her "snips" self. 

Now moving onto ep 2 as I type this. 

Well...(don't read until after Episode 2)

Spoiler

Kanan taught her how to use a light saber in Rebels and the lightsaber she has is Ezra's. He left it behind before his confrontation with Thrawn. It's weird to me that Sabine is Ahsoka's padawan. She isn't force sensitive. The droid, who' name escapes me at the moment, even says she's the least force sensitive Padawan he's ever seen. Sabine is a Mandalorian, she can handle herself in combat. Not sure why they went with the forceless Padawan angle. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

As for the show.

• The production value seems high, unlike Obi Wan...
  • Ahsoka is a little too stoic to me. In the Mandalorian, she more mature than she was in Rebels but with a hint of younger personality. That's missing here which is strange because its the same time frame.
  • Ray Stevenson as Baylan Skoll, and Ivanna Sakhno as his apprentice Shin Hati were standouts. RIP Ray Stevenson
  • Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Hera is going to take some getting used too. Not sure why Vanessa Marshall couldn't have gotten the role like Katee Sackhoff did with Bo'Katan
  • Sabine seemed a little too much like her character on Rebels. She's around 30 now but seem to act like a teenager.

As someone that watched Rebels it's a gift and a curse. I know the characters and events but I'm also used to them being portrayed by other actors. So I have more context than someone coming in blind but I also have hangups that someone going into the show with no prior knowledge wouldn't have. 

10 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

@Darc_Requiemdid you ever get around to watching Andor?  I think it's the best Star Wars content under Disney.  Just curious if you checked it out or not.

Nah, there are lot of things on Disney+ that I haven't watched though. I never watched Love & Thunder, GotG3, and Wakanda Forever either. The latter, I'm never watching. I only lucked into Ashoka. I woke up at 2am. Couldn't sleep and noticed Youtube reviews going up for it. So since I was up anyway. I watched it.

6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Well...(don't read until after Episode 2)

Hide contents

Kanan taught her how to use a light saber in Rebels and the lightsaber she has is Ezra's. He left it behind before his confrontation with Thrawn. It's weird to me that Sabine is Ahsoka's padawan. She isn't force sensitive. The droid, who' name escapes me at the moment, even says she's the least force sensitive Padawan he's ever seen. Sabine is a Mandalorian, she can handle herself in combat. Not sure why they went with the forceless Padawan angle. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

As for the show.

• The production value seems high, unlike Obi Wan...
  • Ahsoka is a little too stoic to me. In the Mandalorian, she more mature than she was in Rebels but with a hint of younger personality. That's missing here which is strange because its the same time frame.
  • Ray Stevenson as Baylan Skoll, and Ivanna Sakhno as his apprentice Shin Hati were standouts. RIP Ray Stevenson
  • Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Hera is going to take some getting used too. Not sure why Vanessa Marshall couldn't have gotten the role like Katee Sackhoff did with Bo'Katan
  • Sabine seemed a little too much like her character on Rebels. She's around 30 now but seem to act like a teenager.

As someone that watched Rebels it's a gift and a curse. I know the characters and events but I'm also used to them being portrayed by other actors. So I have more context than someone coming in blind but I also have hangups that someone going into the show with no prior knowledge wouldn't have. 

Spoiler

That part is what really bothered me as there was nothing that really hinted at Sabine being force sensitive. I would believe it more if they simply stated that as a Mandalorian she wanted to see if she could be more proficient with a blade by taking on the challenge of handling a lightsaber despite not having force abilities. 

Ep 2 was better, as I know with their very creator Filoni is handling it, I feel this will be fine BUUUUT, live action does feel a bit off still to me especially when certain characters like Chopper work well (Yes Chopper is CGI anyway)  being a 1 for 1 vs Hera. I'm being nitpicky but I have to be. 

8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Nah, there are lot of things on Disney+ that I haven't watched though. I never watched Love & Thunder, GotG3, and Wakanda Forever either. The latter, I'm never watching. I only lucked into Ashoka. I woke up at 2am. Couldn't sleep and noticed Youtube reviews going up for it. So since I was up anyway. I watched it.

Andor in my opinion is easily the best SW content that Disney has produced by a long shot.

I say you wouldn't regret watching it.

3 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That part is what really bothered me as there was nothing that really hinted at Sabine being force sensitive. I would believe it more if they simply stated that as a Mandalorian she wanted to see if she could be more proficient with a blade by taking on the challenge of handling a lightsaber despite not having force abilities. 

Ep 2 was better, as I know with their very creator Filoni is handling it, I feel this will be fine BUUUUT, live action does feel a bit off still to me especially when certain characters like Chopper work well (Yes Chopper is CGI anyway)  being a 1 for 1 vs Hera. I'm being nitpicky but I have to be. 

I feel that the actress of Hera is miscast, not because she is bad on the role, but because she doesn't feel like her, in the appearance, at least for me.

The show looks promising so far.

I it feels much better than Mando S3, and the production values are good.

The fights feel decent, although I have some gripes with a lot of unnecessary  rolls they do.

15 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Sabine isn't Force Sensitive. As I mentioned the droid says as much. He says and I'm paraphrasing  "You are the least Force Sensitive Padawan I've ever seen." The trailer for Ashoka has Sabine fighting Shin Hati. Hati tells her "You have no power."  Like I said before I don't get why they went the Master-Apprentice relationship with Ahsoka and Sabine when she lacks Force Sensitivity. Not every Star Wars series needs that setup. Ahsoka isn't even a Jedi. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
37 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

She's going to awaken to Force Powers by the end of the series man lol. Thats why they did that. Bet you money this Series will actually be about rebuilding Ashokas connections with those teachings and shit. She'll be a Jwdi by the end and Sabine will be force Sensetive in the end to. 

If that is what they are doing it will be a massive L. Sabine is near 30. She's been around Jedi for significant amount of time as she grew up. Hell she lived in close proximity with Kanan and Ezra for several years. Kanan trained her on how to use a lightsaber, any force sensitivity she had would have bee noticed.  More over she's been around a droid that's sole purpose was to train Younglings and had mentioned directly her lack of ability with the force. I really hope Filoni doesn't go with this unnecessary ass pull.

6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:
  Hide contents

Sabine isn't Force Sensitive. As I mentioned the droid says as much. He says and I'm paraphrasing  "You are the least Force Sensitive Padawan I've ever seen." The trailer for Ashoka has Sabine fighting Shin Hati. Hati tells her "You have no power."  Like I said before I don't get why they went the Master-Apprentice relationship with Ahsoka and Sabine when she lacks Force Sensitivity. Not every Star Wars series needs that setup. Ahsoka isn't even a Jedi. 

Yeah  I know but I was partially thrown off by that statement because it IMPLIES she has a hint...least force sensitive isn't the same as no force sensitive. That contradicts the trailer BUT I skipped some trailers so I missed that line. Again nitpicking. 

4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

She's going to awaken to Force Powers by the end of the series man lol. Thats why they did that. Bet you money this Series will actually be about rebuilding Ashokas connections with those teachings and shit. She'll be a Jwdi by the end and Sabine will be force Sensetive in the end to. 

I swear if that happens, it will undermine a LOT of stuff and ruin all the good will Filoni has built up with his own characters. 

13 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

I swear if that happens, it will undermine a LOT of stuff and ruin all the good will Filoni has built up with his own characters. 

Agreed. This isn't someone else writing the characters. Filoni has been in charge of these characters since their inception. Part of the reason his characters have been so well received over the years is he's held a tight reign on them. This allowed his characters to have a consistency that others lacked in the transition from Lucas to Disney. No one had to interpret, if they even bothered to try, what they though the creator would do with them, because the creator has always been in control of them. I don't know if this has changed but previously, using his characters required his approval. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 8/24/2023 at 12:29 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

The last two of the three movies you mentioned are at least worth a watch. Love and Thunder doesn't deserve to exist. 

As many have mentioned, Andor is the pinnacle of Disney Star Wars content. I need that to be one of the series that gets an eventual physical release. 

After watching Episode 2, it wouldn't surprise me that the cloaked figure . . . 

Spoiler

is Ezra. 

1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

The last two of the three movies you mentioned are at least worth a watch. Love and Thunder doesn't deserve to exist. 

As many have mentioned, Andor is the pinnacle of Disney Star Wars content. I need that to be one of the series that gets an eventual physical release. 

After watching Episode 2, it wouldn't surprise me that the cloaked figure . . . 

Hide contents

is Ezra. 

Some people are theorizing that it could be a new version of Galen Marek/Starkiller, since Sam Witwer is part of the credits of the show.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/08/25/an-ahsoka-theory-is-that-this-inquisitor-is-sam-witwers-starkiller/?sh=7805f9a5651f

Edited by Hecatom
On 8/25/2023 at 9:09 AM, Darc_Requiem said:
  Hide contents

I like the idea of Sabine being a non-Force Jedi. It will definitely make stand out from other Jedi in the setting. Besides, she can't be stepping on Grogu toes. 

14 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Just saying . . . .

Only thing stronger than a lightsaber is plot armor. 

Hide contents

371329990_688929416594797_46469563909916

Yeah I'm not a fan of Disney's Nerf Lightsabers. The top left is the worst because....

Spoiler

It was the second time she survived a lightsaber. The first was as a youngling during the Order 66 fallout.

3 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of Disney's Nerf Lightsabers. The top left is the worst because....

Hide contents

It was the second time she survived a lightsaber. The first was as a youngling during the Order 66 fallout.

I didn't even think about that. 

To be fair, Fallen Order suffers a similar problem. 

9 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Just saying . . . .

Only thing stronger than a lightsaber is plot armor. 

Reveal hidden contents

371329990_688929416594797_46469563909916

You got to remember when qui-gon got stabbed Obi-Wan had a full lightsaber duel with Maul, cut him in half, climb his way out of the pit his body fell into and Qui-gon didn't die until Obi-Wan got to him. He could have lived if Obi-Wan didn't have a boss battle to slow him down

9 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

You got to remember when qui-gon got stabbed Obi-Wan had a full lightsaber duel with Maul, cut him in half, climb his way out of the pit his body fell into and Qui-gon didn't die until Obi-Wan got to him. He could have lived if Obi-Wan didn't have a boss battle to slow him down

Maul is one example. There were three examples in the Obi Wan series alone. They suffered the same injury a Qui-Gon. Got left for dead, got no immediate medical attention and survived.. That's leaving Sabine's situation out of the equation.

On 8/26/2023 at 4:32 AM, Hecatom said:

Some people are theorizing that it could be a new version of Galen Marek/Starkiller, since Sam Witwer is part of the credits of the show.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/08/25/an-ahsoka-theory-is-that-this-inquisitor-is-sam-witwers-starkiller/?sh=7805f9a5651f

Sam Witzer has been consistently working on Star Wars projects since Force Unleashed. So it doesn’t really mean much, imo

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Sam Witzer has been consistently working on Star Wars projects since Force Unleashed. So it doesn’t really mean much, imo

Wasn't he the voice for Maul in Clone Wars and Rebels? I know he could do a good Palpatine voice but I don't think he was his VA. He's pretty damned good at voice work.

4 hours ago, iStu X said:

I know, him being the voice of Maul and Palpatine in the animated series, but in this case, it opens the possibility of him being a new character due the timeline having both chars he played on the animated series absent/dead.

I am with you that the episode was kind of ehh, but over all, I think that the series still shows promise (I hope I am not proved wrong)

I actually did enjoy the episode.

I do feel that so far is way better than anything from Bobba Fett, Obi Wan and Mando Season 3.

But of course, those shows lowered the bar so much each in different ways that I know is not necessarily a great endorsement, lol.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Episode 3 of Ashoka was just meh. Little at all happened. And one scene was just plain dumb. Isn't the season only 8 episodes?

Spoiler

Are you talking about the space walk scene from Asohka?

Yeah that scene.

Spoiler

There was so much wrong with that scene it isn't funny. Deflecting ship fire with a light saber. Their dead in the water and they just fire at Ahsoka. They could have just come to a full stop an obliterated her ship. Not to mention the number of hits the ship took on the way to the hyperspace ring. And the pacing is Dragon Ball Z levels of slow. It's three episoes in and the events we've seen could have easily been done in two. I hope I'm wrong but I just get the feeling that we'll get to the last couple of episodes of the season, they'll run out of time, and jam a bunch of events into them. When they've squandered so much of the run time in the first three episodes. 

I like world building as well. Last thing I want to watch is some speed run nonsense like the last season of Game of Thrones. Ahsoka, as far as pacing goes, gives me old school Dragon Ball Z vibes or to be less hyperbolic, it seems paced like a 22 episode television season. Which isn't good when your season is a third as long. It just have a bad feeling they are going to slow play everything only to have the last two episodes be chock full of events that get blitzed by due to lack of time.

I agree that we need more of Baylan Skoll and Shin Hati. Those two along with Huyang are the strength of the show for me. Although I feel episode 3 was Sabine's best episode. Well except for her shooting like a Storm Trooper 🙃

Edit: Just realized I made an unintentional pun 😂

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Since they have Thrawn from the Extended Universe/Expanded Universe/Star Wars Legends from the books, it'll be nice if they introduce more of the books. How about The Lost Tribe Of The Sith and The One Sith:

The duel at the Lake of Apparitions was a battle between Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker, Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Krayt, and the dark side entity Abeloth that occurred on Abeloth's planet in the year 44 ABY.

There aren't many things that can bring the Jedi and Sith together, but an eldritch horror in Star Wars Legends was one of the few that could.

Luke-Skywalker-and-Sith-vs-Abeloth.jpg?q

Spoiler

So, it says a lot about the Force entity Abeloth that the Sith were willing to team up with the Jedi in Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi in order to bring her down. Debuting in 2009 with Outcast, the nine-book series focused on Luke Skywalker's journey to stop the Force entity Abeloth, who began rampaging through the galaxy in an attempt to bring chaos to the cosmos, and become a true God of the Force. Her powers enabled her to accomplish feats that previously had never been seen, such as inducing psychosis in several Jedi to make them believe everyone they knew was an imposter. She also fed on despair and fear, which explained why she caused so much destruction and conflict. That, combined with her ability to inhabit more than one body at a time, made killing her nearly impossible.

During this time there were 2 sith orders in existense and don't know if they have interacted with each other or not:

Spoiler

Unfortunately for the Sith Order, it soon became clear the Lost Tribe was way over its head, as Abeloth revealed herself to be far more powerful than any Sith or Jedi. She single-handedly destroyed the capital of the Lost Tribe and eventually converted much of the Tribe to be her minions, either through brainwashing or intimidation. However, that was a lie perpetuated by the Lost Tribe, whose real plan was to find a way to study and control Abeloth.

Of course, the Lost Tribe weren't the only Sith out there, as Darth Krayt, the leader of the One Sith from the Star Wars: Legacy comics, also became aware of Abeloth's existence. Unlike the Lost Tribe, Krayt understood how dangerous of a threat she was. Risking the exposure of himself and his One Sith order, Krayt aided Luke and the Jedi in ensuring Abeloth was no longer a direct threat. That was accomplished by three of her separate bodies being killed at the same time by different groups.

3 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Since they have Thrawn from the Extended Universe/Expanded Universe/Star Wars Legends from the books

Too bad that this Thrawn is quite nerfed from the books a TINO if you will (based on Rebels), which is why I think if they add them, they will change them for the worst 😅

On 9/1/2023 at 11:23 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

I agree that we need more of Baylan Skoll and Shin Hati.

The fact that I know we won't be getting another run with Ray Stevenson as Skoll hurts. He's great in every scene. 

Marrok theories . . . .

Spoiler

v-W89J.gif

and I'm perfectly OK with it. 

The duels in this show seem to be pretty solid. It feels like the combatants are actually trying to hurt each other.  

Something unique that I wonder if it will be explained in-show are the saber color choices. Skoll and Hati's sabers are orange vs. Sith red.

11 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

The fact that I know we won't be getting another run with Ray Stevenson as Skoll hurts. He's great in every scene. 

Ray Stevenson is the highlight of the show. Thus far he's the best thing by far. I like Shin Hati but her character lacks the obvious depth of Baylan. It's really unfortunate that Ray passed away so young. Not just for this show, he was just a damn good actor. May he Rest in Peace.

11 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Marrok theories . . . .

Marrok....

Spoiler

wasn't what anyone theorized. However, the cool thing about the way he died is more interesting IMO. He looks to have been a Night Brother. Or at the very least enhanced by Night Sister magic. The green mist leaving his body and his physique/arms shrinking is just like what happened with Savage Opress.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
10 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Ray Stevenson is the highlight of the show. Thus far he's the best thing by far. I like Shin Hati but her character lacks the obvious depth of Baylan. It's really unfortunate that Ray passed away so young. Not just for this show, he was just a damn good actor. May he Rest in Peace.

His demeanor is perfect. He seems like the premier example of a "Dark Jedi".  This little exchange with his mannerisms was spot on character work.

Morgan Elsbeth: Is that a note of fear in your voice?

Baylan Skoll: Experience.

Edited by OPTIMUS124

Episode 5 was the best episode of Ahsoka yet. It also addresses/resolves one of my issues.

Spoiler

It's seems Ahsoka's stoic demeanor was because baggage related to Anakin's fall to the dark side. Her demeanor completely changes after her vision/visit to the World Between Worlds/Force Vision not sure which it was. Props to Hayden and the Young Ahsoka actress. They did great work. Some of the shots were exceptional the Anakin to Vader transition when walks off into the dust with his saber lit, 501st in toe was god like.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Something I forgot to add, this episode felt kind of like Death Stranding

Reveal hidden contents

With Asohka revisiting different battlegrounds akin to the different beaches on the game XD

Wouldn't know. I didn't play UPS Delivery Simulator starring Norman Reedus 🙃

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Well...

I didn't like this episode 😕

The only things that I liked are the scenes with Baylan since it gave him more characterization.

Spoiler

For starters, I still don't like that Sabine is written as if she is as mature as a teenager.

One thing is to be impulsive, and another is to be an absolute moron.

She decides to allow herself to be captured to try to find Ezra, then proceeds to wander on an unknown planet to try to find him.
And then what?

The only reason why she found him is due contrivance.

I understand that they are very likely trying to lightening the mood, but it felt badly written to some extent, due how Sabine is characterized and how convenient everything went for her.

Also, this Thrawn feels bad man.

he really looks like alien Elon Musk with the dad body type and all, lol

6 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Well...

I didn't like this episode 😕

The only things that I liked are the scenes with Baylan since it gave him more characterization.

Hide contents

For starters, I still don't like that Sabine is written as if she is as mature as a teenager.

One thing is to be impulsive, and another is to be an absolute moron.

She decides to allow herself to be captured to try to find Ezra, then proceeds to wander on an unknown planet to try to find him.
And then what?

The only reason why she found him is due contrivance.

I understand that they are very likely trying to lightening the mood, but it felt badly written to some extent, due how Sabine is characterized and how convenient everything went for her.

Also, this Thrawn feels bad man.

he really looks like alien Elon Musk with the dad body type and all, lol

I agree with you completely. Sabine is pushing 30 but she acts like a person pushing 20.

Spoiler

Thrawn calls her out on risking her galaxy for the off chance of finding Ezra and she couldn't even muster any sort of response. Which makes it worse, because it shows she knows it was a dumb decision. Ezra says. "Can't wait to get back home." and Sabine has a "Oh shit, I didn't' think that far ahead" look on her face. 😒

As for Thrawn, if they didn't want to get him on some sort of workout program to slim down, couldn't they put him in some sort of girdle.