Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

30 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Yeah I never understood the whole BC thing.

If I wanted to play my Xbox 360 games, I could play them on my Xbox 360.

The BC on Xbox isn't just playing the game as it was on 360. Often times, the games run better than they did on 360. Given that 360/PS3 was the 20-25fps is okay generation it's a big deal. In addition to getting boosted to 60fps. Games also got substantial resolution boost. Heck FFXIII got updated FMV scenes instead of the super compressed ones that were on 360. Not my favorite game by any stretch. However the BC version on Xbox, One X in particular, were basically remasters. Several games got that treatment.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
20 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

That's literally the only reason my Xbox One X wasn't a complete waste of money.

It's the only reason i want one. 

20 minutes ago, purbeast said:

If I wanted to play my Xbox 360 games, I could play them on my Xbox 360.

Well my regular Xbox is a pain in the nutsack to plug into a modern HDTV for starts and lots of OG Xbox games run like shit on 360 if they are BC so it's a bad BC option for OG Xbox Legacy software. For 360 it's a little less needed but still nice to have to not have to unplug stuff and plug something else in, just pop in the disc in and play. Microsofts Emulator seems really nice to, upscaling to 4k and increasing performance for majority of games. Ninja Gaiden 2 runs like absolute fucking dog shit on 360 but maintains a pretty consistsnt 60fps on Series X. 

So there's lots of reasons it might matter to someone even if it doesn't matter to you specifically. Thats why I said it's for a particular type of gamer. 

Edited by RSG3
5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Aren't you the guy who hauled a whole 90s  era Arcade set up into your basement???? lol

I got 4 arcade games, but 2 of em are the same one (Rush 2049).

Playing an arcade game for a 5 minute experience is quite a bit different than playing FF7 for the 10th time.

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I got 4 arcade games, but 2 of em are the same one (Rush 2049).

Playing an arcade game for a 5 minute experience is quite a bit different than playing FF7 for the 10th time.

I'm just teasin bro lol. Kinda makes my point tho, it's a special kinda gamer to haul 4 heavy arcade machines into his basement so he can play games that last 5 minutes. 

Edited by RSG3
8 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I'm just teasin bro lol. Kinda makes my point tho, it's a special kinda gamer to haul 4 heavy arcade machines into his basement so he can play games that last 5 minutes. 

Yah the kids love em though, especially the racing game.

One is KI2 cabinet with MAME in it and the other is a light gun game with buncha light gun games in it.

9 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Some people say so, but I wasn't aware Wayforward was that involved in the game

Yup, big part of the credits sequence. It's still random, games been out for years lol. I'm certainly not complaining tho. 

5 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I don't even know if I'd lay the blame singularly at his feet but unfortunately his face is attached to that day.  There were probably several other execs and people who were either behind or ok with the choice to try to go that way that we probably won't fully know about until something like a What Happen? episode within the next decade or so.  I'm just curious about how the industry will move forward without a competitor checking Sony on their own level.

5 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I don't even know if I'd lay the blame singularly at his feet but unfortunately his face is attached to that day.  There were probably several other execs and people who were either behind or ok with the choice to try to go that way that we probably won't fully know about until something like a What Happen? episode within the next decade or so.  I'm just curious about how the industry will move forward without a competitor checking Sony on their own level.

He didn't help things much, pissing on people who like it with that "just play the 360 if you can't get online" (I'm paraphrasing) statement.

I don't think we'll ever get a behind-the-scenes story on what made them try that shit, but this is pretty good chronicling it:

6 hours ago, axeman61 said:

He didn't help things much, pissing on people who like it with that "just play the 360 if you can't get online" (I'm paraphrasing) statement.

I don't think we'll ever get a behind-the-scenes story on what made them try that shit, but this is pretty good chronicling it:

So fun fact I didn’t learn until years later, the main reasons Drew Carrey hosting Price is Right being the first thing shown is due to Drew being one the majority owners of the Seattle Sounders futbol club. Which is principally owned by Microsoft. He was also good friends with a lot of (at the time) execs at Microsoft. 

Secondly, Since Price is Right has a generational and pretty wide spread appeal on top of streaming getting bigger and bigger at the time it seemed like an extremely safe bet as an opener. 

Edited by iStu X
58 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

So how's everyone's wallet holding up? I got Lost Crown and P3 Reload but there's so much shit I want to play and I just don't have to the time lmao

I'm playing Tekken 8 and Baldur's Gate 3 is the only game from the Christmas steam sale I got around to playing. I'm holding off on Granblue Re:link and Persona 3 for FF7 Rebirth. Everything will get dropped for Dragons Dogma 2 in March

1 hour ago, TWINBLADES said:

So how's everyone's wallet holding up? I got Lost Crown and P3 Reload but there's so much shit I want to play and I just don't have to the time lmao

Been playing FF15 still but I still need to beat FF7R Intergrade before rebirth comes out at the end of the month. 

2 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

I want P3R really badly, but I want FF7Rebirth more so my wallet must remain tightly shut. Cool as P3R looks I own that game 3 times over already so it can wait a little.