Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

VGMF, DMC edition. This is the kind of atmosphere I really liked in DMC1 and 3- the imagery it evokes is an example of what I wish the series had leaned way harder into with its world building. Make it way more evil, occult, and grounded in established and old religious stories. Keep Dante as a cocky jackass with inhuman power in a world that was otherwise made to be legitimately terrifying.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is a relaxing game 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure Watch Grass Grow Simulator would be too 🤣

31 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

My wife played it and thought it was relaxing. No time limit no stress. She played it after raging too much in Splatoon and Pokemon Unite. 

Lol maybe I should have tried this alongside my first couple Sekiro runs

I remember seeing at least 1 game in recent years about mowing lawns, actually...seemed like a funny/strange idea to make a whole game about.  There was also that minigame portion of the first Shenmue where the main character went to work and drove a forklift around... my friend at the time was into that game and I couldn't stop laughing at the visual when I first saw it----a game where you make the character "go to work" in the game....bruh...

Then again there's Crazy Taxi but at least that game made it entertaining by the cab driver work being wild and exaggerated, like the NBA Jam version of being a taxi driver.

The Noah and Mio amiibo came out today. My gf just got home from picking mine up at Best Buy (she works right down the road from it so she grabbed them for me on the way home. 🥰)

they’re really well produced sculpts. The Noah one is arguably one of their best sculpts they’ve done. Probably top 5 if not top 3. It’s just super clean and well designed. 

Kingdoms of Amalur---Once again on a new character... I took the evil path as usual and sided with "The Widow" fae....came back to that first town and murdered everyone there at her request.  This put it fresh on my mind what you get out of that; it's not even much...she gave me a little over 1,000 gold and some weapon that isn't even that great.  It's funny how some of them will cower in fear before you....because they know it's over; they can do nothing.  The last guy at least tried to fight me but he had no weapons so he obviously had no chance.  

This new character is all "finesse" build so far (rogue/assassin archetype)... I'll mix it with points in sorcery asap though since that was always my favorite hybrid build in the game.

Avowed though---- I'm already wondering if you can be evil in that game as well... to me, that's one of the main things that really sells an rpg, since you just don't get that kind of fun in other genres at all.  Even if that's not an option the footage shown the other day looks decent enough to hold my interest though... one nitpick is that perspective; I always want at least an option of 3rd person view.  Also---- magic with a magic wand just isn't as cool to me as the character casting magic from their bare hands.... or maybe a staff.  A short wand just looks a bit silly to me.

Edited by MillionX

Oh yeah--- some months ago(?)....surprisingly the extra "Re-Reckoning" content for Kingdoms of Amalur eventually did hit the Switch version.  It was so much later after the PS/Xbox versions I assumed they weren't going to bother with it.  I hadn't played the Switch version that much though since I got much further in the Xbox one, eventually beat the main story and was already into the dlc there long before it was on the Switch version. ---note; that content seems to be intended for your character after finishing the main story.  I have the PC version of the game as well but it's only the original release.

....sheeeitttt, SO much extra gaming time opens up when that winter weather ices everything over.  Yeah, I haven't been outside since last Sunday.

8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Cuz Pokémon such original designs lol. 

7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

VGC is the Po of game's journalism. 

Its pretty unarguable that some of Pokemon's later designs are uh...not as inspired and I can't really comment on VGC's integrity, but I will say that looking at some of these comparisos are def eyebrow raising

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Its pretty unarguable that some of Pokemon's later designs are uh...not as inspired and I can't really comment on VGC's integrity, but I will say that looking at some of these comparisos are def eyebrow raising

The designs are whatever to me. I can play theft game too when it comes to Pokemon.

That's not a leg no Pokemon fan can stand on as far as I'm concerned. This is hugely where my Po comparison comes from. 

5 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Yea I'm not raising my eyebrow at all becauee again Pokémon doesn't have as many original designs as people think. Even the original 151 have shit like a Pokeball with a face, and Round Ball that spits gas, A catapillar, hell one of thems just a Duck. A DUCK!!!

Like I'm all for protecting artists, but the idea Pokémon Company has all these original designs that aren't just basic kid versions of normal shit everyone draws is kinda silly to me. 

Edit: Ah yea Hawkingbirds post exactly, you wanna play the ripoff game, I promise it won't go well. Putting leaves on a plant monster doesn't make it a Pokémon ripoff lol. 

Besides Pokémon stole its entire concept from Atlus anyway *Sarcastic coffee sip*

Edited by RSG3

Palworld is pretty fun so far. 

3PFr2Rq.jpg

I started the game making a dude character.  I always make a dude character.  But I noticed when I was finished that everything on him had changed from the waist up.  Everything below was still the female type.  So when he ran off in his little skirt at the beginning he did it like a chick.  I was like, no this isnt gonna work.  So I changed it to a chick.

This is a fun arcade style game.  Simple quarter munching type game.  First Cut Samurai Duel -

spacer.png

There was a tweet someone made last week that that video about beat em ups Aries posted reminded me of, about how a lot of devs that make beu's these days don't seem to have a lot of deep knowledge of the genre. Like they don't know what makes a game compelling and fun to play especially even at harder difficulty levels vs one that isn't.

Final Fight is one of the oldest beat em ups out there but even now, it still is one of the very best imo, even outclasses its sequels that were made later. The player characters are fun and can do a lot, the enemy design is interesting all across the board, and with the exception of maybe one or two levels, it never wears out its welcome. Same with Streets Of Rage 4, Double Dragon 2, and Turtles In Time. I've played several of the games in that video and the ones I've played with the exception of SoR4 are missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. It's one of those genres that seems like it would be a fairly easy slam dunk but for whatever reason, I've played a lot of pretty bland and boring beat em ups.

Edited by DoctaMario

One thing I want that barely any of the beatemup games deliver on is a big cast of characters--- the more the better...even if some are just cheap "swaps" that are effectively the same character with visual differences. (like 2 or 3 that are the "huge, slow but strong" character, or 3 or 4 that are the "speedy combo-based person", etc.)  Most of them only give you a few, which is just disappointing to me, considering what's technically possible in modern-day game development.  The dream would be a huge roster + full custom/color edit mode so the characters also have different "styles" visually to pick from.

Fight N Rage was such a big tease with this, sadly... there's a LOT of unlockable characters....but I was soon letdown when realizing they are only for the Vs. mode. (**this was so disappointing that I stopped caring about unlocking the rest of them)  The regular story/arcade mode only lets you play the 3 main characters.  It reminded me of being disappointed with NES Double Dragon way back in the day----all those enemy characters you could pick....but ONLY for the vs. mode.  Story mode was just the Lee brothers.  A bigger roster of characters is always going to be the better option, imo.  Put as many as possible...like if I were making one, it would be something crazy like the MvC2 of beatemups, where the character select screen is insane with options.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

There was a tweet someone made last week that that video about beat em ups Aries posted reminded me of, about how a lot of devs that make beu's these days don't seem to have a lot of deep knowledge of the genre. Like they don't know what makes a game compelling and fun to play especially even at harder difficulty levels vs one that isn't.

Final Fight is one of the oldest beat em ups out there but even now, it still is one of the very best imo, even outclasses its sequels that were made later. The player characters are fun and can do a lot, the enemy design is interesting all across the board, and with the exception of maybe one or two levels, it never wears out its welcome. Same with Streets Of Rage 4, Double Dragon 2, and Turtles In Time. I've played several of the games in that video and the ones I've played with the exception of SoR4 are missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. It's one of those genres that seems like it would be a fairly easy slam dunk but for whatever reason, I've played a lot of pretty bland and boring beat em ups.

Did you play Fight N Rage? I think it's the peak of the genre, it's very well tuned with so much depth to the combat.  Difficulty is well balanced also, challenging but fair. Only baffling design choice was making you unlock the training mode- it unlocks easily, but I suspect a lot of people missed a lot of the depth by playing through it a single time using the old school approach. Training mode really gives you a taste of what the characters have to offer if you dig a little deeper.