Stage Select

The Streaming Thread: Let's Be Real, Not Everything Is On Netflix

Uncle Phil is fucking up

Spoiler

Phil is fucking up with when it comes to Geoffrey. A man of his position would kill to have guys like him watching his back. I want to say Geoffrey wasn't out of line by disobeying Phil's request we don't know the nature of the secret yet. Now that Phil dropped out of the race for DA maybe now he'll have the balls to tell Will the truth.

Maybe Wilkes will end up suddenly dropping dead and that opens the door for Phil to take the position lol.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

"Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers" is the spiritual sequel to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". It's a parody of a lot of things and there is one cameo that was a shock. It will easily elevate this to have a cult following for that one alone. 

lmfao the internet gave no fucks about spoilers. i was not expecting them to spoil everything in 5 seconds of droppin

• 2 weeks later...

finished the first part of stranger things season 4. the ending wasnt as fun as i woulda hoped. episode 7's exposition dump was like...i dunno how to describe it all but essentially:

Spoiler

-vecna is their version of freddy kruger whos killing kids in town with secrets but from the upside down since its a mirror universe.

-11 goes off to try and get her powers back while the kids try to solve the mystery

-turns out vecna was the first psychic kid. He had his powers nerfed because he was too powerful by the govt agency that tested 11.

-he tricked 11 into essentially freeing him, she realizes hes evil, psychic battle ensues
-turns out 11 is the reason any of this shit went down because she sent his ass to the upside down..essentially opening the first gate and causing everything to happen.

-i dont like the fact the story ends up essentially being 11's fault. i liked everything leading up to it, all the references to different horror movies but essentially freddy and jason and a bit of hellraiser/ghostbusters

Edited by Maxx
3 hours ago, Maxx said:

finished the first part of stranger things season 4. the ending wasnt as fun as i woulda hoped. episode 7's exposition dump was like...i dunno how to describe it all but essentially:

Hide contents

-vecna is their version of freddy kruger whos killing kids in town with secrets but from the upside down since its a mirror universe.

-11 goes off to try and get her powers back while the kids try to solve the mystery

-turns out vecna was the first psychic kid. He had his powers nerfed because he was too powerful by the govt agency that tested 11.

-he tricked 11 into essentially freeing him, she realizes hes evil, psychic battle ensues
-turns out 11 is the reason any of this shit went down because she sent his ass to the upside down..essentially opening the first gate and causing everything to happen.

-i dont like the fact the story ends up essentially being 11's fault. i liked everything leading up to it, all the references to different horror movies but essentially freddy and jason and a bit of hellraiser/ghostbusters

Spoiler

Technically it isn't her fault it is Venca/Government lab fault. But I do feel the retconned extra backstory feels a lot forced although it was well done.

35 minutes ago, Wellman said:
  Hide contents

Technically it isn't her fault it is Venca/Government lab fault. But I do feel the retconned extra backstory feels a lot forced although it was well done.

Yeah i agree just feels like

Spoiler

-she gets blamed alot for shit

-obviously the military also think its her fault

-it feels tacked on but not badly. Like they did the Korra treatment where it was supposed end at season 1 and season 2 originally was gonna be an anthology not connected to season 1 but its clear netflix was like... Nah nigga continue it. The backstory wasnt a wtf moment... It doesnt feel badly forced.. Id call it a soft force 

So I’m finally watching Better Call Saul and it’s certainly an enigma. I give absolutely zero fucks about what’s going on and the plot at hand as it’s just not interesting to me.

I’m also likely one of the few people on earth who never got swept up in the breaking bad hype.

That said,  I can’t stop watching because everyone on the show is so good at the playing the characters they play. 

Edited by iStu X

So I'm just now noticing this anime on netflix called "Vampires in the Garden"; I think that's the title.  So far after 1 episode it's just "ok"... good enough to keep me looking, at least.  The general premise is simple--- viral outbreak somehow resulted in vampires if I recall... and then human civilization collapsed shortly after that.  Now, humans stay mostly within 1 large city, walled off (with light; I'm guessing the special lighting is likely UV rays) from the rest of the world where vamps have effectively taken over everything else... music is outlawed in the human city since there's a danger of attracting vampires since I guess they are naturally drawn to those sounds.  Unfortunately there's only 5 episodes in this first season--- really, I miss the days when a "season" was a bit longer than that.

Stranger Things 4 kinda gets a pass though since this season has all episodes being longer than an hour, and the quality of the show is amazing.

edit---anyway, 1 cool thing is that the vamps in "Vampires in the Garden" can sprout bat wings to fly around.

Edited by MillionX

I just told my nephew earlier today, I am unlikely to get Hulu since I don't even watch everything on my current streaming services but that Prey trailer got me ready to make myself a liar.

Is it at last time for a good Predator movie once again.

Edited by Wellman

Fuck I just found this thread I didn’t know other people here watch The Boys! Definitely my favorite show right now.

Spoiler

A-Train dragging Blue Hawk for miles is my favorite kill in the show. Very thematically appropriate when you consider the history of lynching in America. Also doubles as a Kabal fatality.

A-Train still a rat ass bitch but at least he finally did a couple good things for once 

Edited by Vhozite

Ok, 1 of the interesting things/questions about the Stranger Things world I was thinking about, concerning the Upside Down...

Spoiler

I'm curious about if Elle created this other dimension, or if it was always there and she just opened the first portal to it.  I'm inclined to think it's the latter scenario... it's an alternate dimension that has always existed, and she was just the first person to make a portal leading to it.  Another interesting detail about that dimension is that it is apparently some years behind....an alternate dimension that is also in the past for some reason... perhaps forever stuck that way?  So imagine if they do a time-jump later in a season 6 (since I doubt 5 would be a time-jump)... say it's 1993 in the real world, yet it's still 1983 in the Upside Down...that one detail could open up some more interesting story possibilities as well.

On 7/4/2022 at 7:56 AM, MillionX said:

Ok, 1 of the interesting things/questions about the Stranger Things world I was thinking about, concerning the Upside Down...

Hide contents

I'm curious about if Elle created this other dimension, or if it was always there and she just opened the first portal to it.  I'm inclined to think it's the latter scenario... it's an alternate dimension that has always existed, and she was just the first person to make a portal leading to it.  Another interesting detail about that dimension is that it is apparently some years behind....an alternate dimension that is also in the past for some reason... perhaps forever stuck that way?  So imagine if they do a time-jump later in a season 6 (since I doubt 5 would be a time-jump)... say it's 1993 in the real world, yet it's still 1983 in the Upside Down...that one detail could open up some more interesting story possibilities as well.

Spoiler

They explained it this season. All she did was open the first tear between realities. She tore 1 up but she didnt cause him to transform. Thats a higher power. The smoke spider did that to him, hence his connection to spiders.

Vecna confirmed it was a very old dimension he got launched into.. One not toucbed by humans.

Also i had subtitles on during the last few episodes and one of the sound effects said eldritch humming which kinda implies some cthulu/elder god connection. 

I feel like the time difference has something to do with gates being opened and closed. Like when vecna had his tendrils on our side a season or two back. 

Edited by Maxx

Watched the last episode of The Boys the morning and I agree that the writing for the episode is a downgrade compared to the rest of the season.

Spoiler

* Black Noir killed off like 1.5 episodes after he became an actual character. 

* Kimiko getting Frenchie shot in the leg because she was busy butchering (an already dead?) guard for no reason/a gag when the whole reason she wanted powers back was to protect him. 

* The budget running out right when we are about to see Starlight do literally anything of significance with her powers

* Pretty much everything surrounding Soldier Boy

* HL’s inconsistent use of his powers and under performance in combat, to the point where it’s starting to undermine the show. 

I could continue. The only thing I really like about this episode in that they finally reintroduced Ryan after removing him from the plot for most of the season, and there being interesting implications of the CIA having Soldier Boy. 

Going forward it would also be nice if they could explore Temp V at all besides using it as a plot device to let butcher and hughie to survive in a room with supes. 

Spoiler

I feel that Soldierboy was a good complex character that was underutilized at the end. 

I thought that what happened that night would be explored beyond the little they have told us. 

The last episodes showed us that there was a lot of nuances regarding him that if this is where the story for him ends I will be quite disappointed. 

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:
  Hide contents

I feel that Soldierboy was a good complex character that was underutilized at the end. 

I thought that what happened that night would be explored beyond the little they have told us. 

The last episodes showed us that there was a lot of nuances regarding him that if this is where the story for him ends I will be quite disappointed. 

Well

Spoiler

In their defense he ain't dead, he's in the hands of the CIA, so he'll most definitely be back to do more. They kept him alive for a reason 

4 hours ago, Hecatom said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Soldier boy was a complete let down the season after all the build up. After watching the last episode the way his character was handled feels really strange and sorta inconsequential.

He starts and ends the season boxed in stasis, and the only main character whose powers he took away gets them back like two episodes later. He doesn’t interact with Noir at all even though he’s seems to be gunning for him harder than the rest of his team and Noir is his biggest link to the present world before the reveal about his “son”.

Everyone tries to compare SB to Homelander in terms of assholery, depravity and threat and that just isnt shown. SB is a complete dick but he is not even in the same zip code of HL’s level of psychopathy.  Then you get to the last couple episodes and his motivations just feel muddy. One episode he’s talking about HL as his son and how he wants a family, but then calls HL a pussy and doesn’t care about Ryan at all. Then the plot just sorta contrives a reason for everyone to turn against him and it just feels really weird. 

Idk I was really hoping for more with the character. Like other than killing some B-list supes and bruising HLs already shattered ego what did he even accomplish? He was the one supe I really wanted to see doing something besides HL and A-Train.

Edited by Vhozite

lmfao finished the boys...the ending wasnt a let down to me like alot of people. just they wanted to end all the storylines. i personally dont feel its rushed but i guess thats me.

jensen ackles was good but at the same time...he was literally rated r dean winchester lmfao. i guess thats kinda the point, but maybe not. literally never seen him anything outside of supernatural so i dunno if hes a 1 note actor. but overall i liked it.

18 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Just finished watching Bill Burr- Live at Red Rocks.

If you're a fan of his, go watch it.

The first 10 min of that special are amazing. He had to remind conservatives he will respect their choice to be conservative but he thinks their idiots. 

Also shocked he went over the history of thr word woke. I think him marrying a black woman is career genius lol. Hes educatong white people om so much shit black people say but no one listens

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

The first 10 min of that special are amazing. He had to remind conservatives he will respect their choice to be conservative but he thinks their idiots. 

Also shocked he went over the history of thr word woke. I think him marrying a black woman is career genius lol. Hes educatong white people om so much shit black people say but no one listens

The "I don't trust the government" line was a smooth landing. 

The "woke" bit had me dying. There was so much gold in that special it's ridiculous. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124