Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Guest Characters? In MY Street Fighter?

2 hours ago, Volta said:

Says a lot that a top Gief player is dropping him for Lily. Or maybe he's just learning Lily to counter Gief's bad matchups. She's 8-2 against A.K.I., after all...

Capcom is never gonna make gief top tier maybe not even decent. Remember all the pro gief players dropping him in 5.  

I’m curious to see what the balance patch looks like

I have a feeling Ken, Luke and Cammy are going to be good for the entirety of SF6 just based on how they fit what's good in the game. 

Anybody else still do forward forward for DR cancel?  I tried to make a concerted effort to switch to medium punch medium kick input but I can't get my hands to do anything else after two months of grinding prior to the change.  Funny enough when I do the character trials I do the new input but I still use the old method with Jamie. 

Edited by HeavensCloud

Considering the dumb shit JSO activists keep doing it's likely a corporate funded group designed to discredit actual anti-oil movement to keep the corporations like Aramco and Petronas going instead of humanity collectively moving away from fossils.

Same exact story as when the campaigning against nuclear power took place and now Germany for example has shut down most of its down and went back to using coal plants for electricity 

6 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

Considering the dumb shit JSO activists keep doing it's likely a corporate funded group designed to discredit actual anti-oil movement to keep the corporations like Aramco and Petronas going instead of humanity collectively moving away from fossils.

Same exact story as when the campaigning against nuclear power took place and now Germany for example has shut down most of its down and went back to using coal plants for electricity 

giphy.gif

I was reading the Twitter thread, their biggest backer is the daughter of an oil baron. 🤔

11 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

Seems pointless to do at a video game event. Maybe they just wanted publicity but it just comes across as shitty and selfish.  Maybe if the tournament was sponsored by big oil buy they just look like bitches doing this.

Indirectly they're always involved due to the Saudis owning SNK and owning some Capcom shares as well.

But despite that link, a fighting game tournament is the wrong place for activism (as are art galleries for that matter). If your actions start to annoy people, then they stop caring about what is essentially a noble goal. It's the same trap feminism fell into a few years ago. But I realise it's also a vicious circle, because doing everything by the book doesn't lead to change.

Anyway, that's my SF6 post for today.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:58 AM, Shahenzan said:

The only other character with that many weaknesses who is still considered really strong is Marisa and that's because she hits like a brick shithouse.

There's more to it than that. Marisa can get armor for free, she is difficult to whiff punish and she more plus moves on block than most other characters. Her high placement is largely to having access to things other characters can't.

7 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

@Darc_RequiemI figured I'd ask you this because I figure maybe you'd have an idea. Why was Poison and Roxy's implementation in FF 1989 so controversial that localizations had them being potentially trans (new-half) but only 2 years later Chun-Li didn't get this same treatment? Just a random thought that came up. 

To keep it 100 with you. A bunch dudes felt some type of way because they thought Poison was hot and found out she was trans. There was no "potentially" Poison and Roxy were always trans. Akiman's original pen&paper sketches for Poison and Roxy show this. This was who Poison and Roxy were long before they even decided to localize the game in the West. Instead of just taking the L, insecure dudes went though all sort of mental gymnastics to try an avoid acceptance of that fact. Double Dragon pre-dated Final Fight. It starts off with Marian getting stole on and carried off. Billy and Jimmy Lee precede to throw hands on anyone, women included, to get her back and no one gave a fuck. Nintendo had a problem with Cody and Haggar hitting women, so they replaced them with two male characters. So it obvious to the player that they are only beating up other men.

The Poison was trans to avoid the stigma of men hitting women argument doesn't hold any water.  No one was reading lore on arcade machines. No one would have anyway of knowing that Poison and Roxy "aren't really women" in early 90s. If it were really an issue, Capcom would have done to the US arcade machine what Nintendo insisted they do to the SNES port and replace Poison and Roxy with male characters. In truth, it never was controversy. Just salty dudes not taking accountability for jerking off to trans character. :tldr:

This game, I swear...

I wasn't going to play it anymore until they fix the dropped reversals thing but I thought, to hell with it, I'll just abandon my cagey, deliberate playstyle and go full spaz mode with Blanka like a coked out green gorilla. Result: I went from 23,900-something points to over 25,400 in the span of one day. By throwing all caution in the wind and just going apeshit, I did better than I ever did when I was trying to 'play' the game. If SFIV and previous games can be likened to rock, paper, scissors and chess, then SFV and SF6 are like playing basketball on a minefield. 

I guess the days of slower-paced, footsie-oriented fighting games are gone for good. Can't say I like where this is going. Oh well, at least I'm in Master now, so I got that monkey off my back. Took me over 28 hours, but better late than never, eh?

Edited by Volta

@SoneroSam sounds like an awesome person. "The real story behind Evo is the amount of friendships that it has kept alive"

along with

"There are times where the fighting game portion gets overshadowed by the community part. Nothing has ever stopped time or life from happening. So when life happens, it happens when you’re with a group of people who share something with you; whether slinging cards or throwing hadoukens. When life happens, this community will have your back. These games rotate faster than you realize." - well spoken too. 

Edited by JustBooming
1 hour ago, -PVL93- said:

Was no one watching the CPT Singapore premier today? Pretty much all of the SEA region top players are there and already a ton got eliminated in the pool stages 

It's on pretty late for me but I caught a bit of it. 

Great to see a stacked offline event again.  Having Mike Ross on commentary was a blast from the past. Looking forward to top 64 tonight.