Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Mena Won Evo Japan!

1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

As Saturn boy in late 90s remember "yeah, but 2D games are better on our console" was essentially our life mantra

The Saturn is a perfect encapsulation of Sega as a company. It symbolizes it's mismanagenent perfectly as well as highlights the talent of it's development teams to make quality software in sprite of it. Sega was one of the pioneers of 3D gaming. Despite having numerous 3D arcade hits. They didn't build the Saturn with 3D in mind at all initially. It was only when they got wind of the PS1 did they altered course. It's why the Saturn is so complicated of an architecture. 2 CPUs, 1 Co-Processor, 2 GPUs, 2 Sound Chips, and another chip just for the CD-ROM. If Sega of Japan had just swallowed their undeserved pride and listened to Sega of America more specifically Tom Kalinske, they'd probably still be in the hardware business....but that's whole other post in and of itself.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Sega made two grave mistakes - remained stubborn in prioritising the opinion of their Japanese headquarters even in the middle of an ongoing war, and lost countless millions of dollars on useless garbage like the mega drive tower of power 

No wonder Moore jumped ship to Xbox almost immediately, the Dreamcast was doomed the moment 2000-2001 hit and Sony had a grip on megaton titles like FF and MGS2 while Microsoft revolutionised console FPS and brought online gaming to home systems. Meanwhile all Sega could do was hapharazdly port their original IPs from one dying platform (arcades) to another, and the billion dollar production in form of Shenmue 2 wouldn't move the needle enough, not to mention just how strong the third party relationships PS2 had were with seemingly entire industry releasing platform exclusives 

When GTA3 skipped Dreamcast altogether it was GGs

Edited by -PVL93-

@-PVL93-The Dreamcast was doomed before it even released. Sega pissed off US Retailers and publishers with the early Saturn launch. This made it hard for Sega to get stores to even carry the Dreamcast at US launch. This was mirrored in Japan but for different reasons. Japanese Retailers and Developers were pissed at Sega for killing the Saturn early because it was a very successful system in Japan. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
17 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

PXL_20240407_1711313392.jpg?ex=66254949&is=6612d449&hm=368391bc4133cdea1d2fb508cc42b3cabb7f14156ddaec17a201e0ed3af71088&=

I will only play a wifi warrior if that is all that is available, and I'm set to 4-5 bar filter, so wifi is always 4 bars (never seen a 5 bar).

If I get a hiccup in the first match, which happens like 50% of the time, I will leave after the first match regardless of the outcome of me winning or losing.

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The Dreamcast was doomed before it even released.

Sega also pissed off big devs like EA because I guess the dreamcast was hard to develop for. It used weird, proprietary hardware that wasn't being used for game development. (Someone at Sega was definitely doing someone else a favor in Japan with this decision.) That's the main reason why there was those Sega Sports games.

7 hours ago, purbeast said:

I will only play a wifi warrior if that is all that is available, and I'm set to 4-5 bar filter, so wifi is always 4 bars (never seen a 5 bar).

If I get a hiccup in the first match, which happens like 50% of the time, I will leave after the first match regardless of the outcome of me winning or losing.

it's actually about WHO the wi-fi warrior is

6 minutes ago, Sonero said:

ItzPookie was an SRKer whom was a regular in the lounge thread for SF5.

You'd think that forum raised people to do better but then they show off their ass like that.

😭

You know I was about to post that Pookieblades gif I always used to....but I've realized that imgur has deleted a lot of my older images. Which wouldn't bother me so much but I had a photo of me with long hair that I lost when of my hard drives died that's just gone. And I'm bald now....so 😭 

42 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

I can't believe how bad SF5 has aged.  It just looks so bad and like it is in a beta form in all aspects - graphics, sounds, UI, etc.

I remember when they first showed it off with that Ryu battle (at Evo I think)  and thinking how awesome it looked.  And then from the time the actual beta came out and how bad that was handled, it just went downhill.

49 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I can't believe how bad SF5 has aged.  It just looks so bad and like it is in a beta form in all aspects - graphics, sounds, UI, etc.

All the characters look like clay putty and the UI looks like stock assets. The game should have came out with that cell shading filter tho. Still looks very cool for a fighting game to have that.

13 minutes ago, elliephil said:

All the characters look like clay putty and the UI looks like stock assets. The game should have came out with that cell shading filter tho. Still looks very cool for a fighting game to have that.

Stock assets is a great description and you are so right.   Like "hey lets put some UI stuff here and we'll change it later" but they never went back and changed anything.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

can't believe how bad SF5 has aged.  It just looks so bad and like it is in a beta form in all aspects - graphics, sounds, UI, etc.

Unpopular opinion but 6 isn't doing much better visually. I generally like the overall presentation, sound effects, the graffiti splashes when drive impact hits, and how the cutscenes transform the game during level 3/criticals, and obviously the character models have an insane amount of detail 

But then you look at the matches or even still screenshots and it's like a late PS3 game - poor shadowing, bland color gamut on most stages, weird lighting solution where you have both the stage sources and like a spotlight above which makes characters shiny, it's so strange to me 

I'm not gonna let go of the theory that releasing SF6 on PS4 caused Capcom to hold back significantly so that console can maintain 60fps - the demo alone was really rough with very visible jaggies and blurriness 

I predict in a few years there will be a major re-release that cuts off PS4 support, because I just don't see them sticking with it until like 2029 or whenever the next street fighter is supposed to launch. I'm assuming at least 5 years of support for 6

2 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

Unpopular opinion but 6 isn't doing much better visually. I generally like the overall presentation, sound effects, the graffiti splashes when drive impact hits, and how the cutscenes transform the game during level 3/criticals, and obviously the character models have an insane amount of detail 

But then you look at the matches or even still screenshots and it's like a late PS3 game - poor shadowing, bland color gamut on most stages, weird lighting solution where you have both the stage sources and like a spotlight above which makes characters shiny, it's so strange to me 

I'm not gonna let go of the theory that releasing SF6 on PS4 caused Capcom to hold back significantly so that console can maintain 60fps - the demo alone was really rough with very visible jaggies and blurriness 

I predict in a few years there will be a major re-release that cuts off PS4 support, because I just don't see them sticking with it until like 2029 or whenever the next street fighter is supposed to launch. I'm assuming at least 5 years of support for 6

I don't think I could possibly disagree with you more.  I think everything about it looks fantastic, aside from some of the UX stuff with like the menus and where certain options are located.  But that is more nitpicky.

Go look at the Digital Foundry comparison video of all the different versions of SF6.  The PS4 (and XSX) version of the game look a lot different than the current gen ones.  I play on PS5 at 1080p on a 10 foot screen and don't notice any jaggies or blurriness.  It looks fantastic.

My only gripe about the visuals of SF6 would be that some characters blend into the backgrounds a bit too much.  I have the stage that is kinda like Gief's stage in prior games out of the list of stages I play on because I don't like how red it is and some characters just blend in to the background a bit.  I have also noticed it on some other stages with very specific character outfits but I can't think of it off the top of my head.  I know it was an Aki color but can't remember which one or which stage.

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

The PS4 (and XSX) version of the game look a lot different than the current gen ones.  I play on PS5 at 1080p on a 10 foot screen and don't notice any jaggies or blurriness.  It looks fantastic.

I was talking about the PS4 version. It just looks bad graphically. The current gen build naturally runs and looks well 

9 hours ago, Jocelot said:

I've never heard of Supergun before, that's pretty cool. 

But is there something wrong with the other ports of Third Strike? Are they not considered arcade perfects? Just curious

Per random fightcade users (both good and bad players), the console port of 30th is considered to be "slow" and "feels off." I have never had a solid explanation as to why 30th anniversary is reviled so much for offline 3s. The 30th anniversary port is allowed by Jazzy Circuit, the grassroots 3s tournament series ran by the most dedicated 3s players. In terms of port quality, it is very good compared to every other port.

3s online edition is also pretty good but there are some issues with the balancing and the game running too fast. Yun's genei jin not scaling properly is one of the most glaring problems. Many players consider it to be a different game.

Everything else is either too slow, the sound queues are off, or straight up the wrong version of the game. They are also all very old.

7 hours ago, elliephil said:

Per random fightcade users (both good and bad players), the console port of 30th is considered to be "slow" and "feels off." I have never had a solid explanation as to why 30th anniversary is reviled so much for offline 3s. The 30th anniversary port is allowed by Jazzy Circuit, the grassroots 3s tournament series ran by the most dedicated 3s players. In terms of port quality, it is very good compared to every other port.

3s online edition is also pretty good but there are some issues with the balancing and the game running too fast. Yun's genei jin not scaling properly is one of the most glaring problems. Many players consider it to be a different game.

Everything else is either too slow, the sound queues are off, or straight up the wrong version of the game. They are also all very old.

I remember there were a lot of people on SRK saying the 30th Anniversary port was ass.  I owned the game and it seemed fine to me. Mind you I didn't have any other versions to compare it to, but it felt great offline in training mode and the online had rollback and was comparable to other games with rollback at the time.  

27 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

I remember there were a lot of people on SRK saying the 30th Anniversary port was ass.  I owned the game and it seemed fine to me. Mind you I didn't have any other versions to compare it to, but it felt great offline in training mode and the online had rollback and was comparable to other games with rollback at the time.  

The SF3 ports are something else. It seems like they are all off to varying degrees. Is there a port considered legit? 3SOE seemed to be well received from what I remember. It's still ridiculous that 30th had worse netcode that 3SOE.

58 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

The PC version of 30th anniversary is very close to arcade perfect. The console versions of 30th were met with mixed reception. The online was ass but as far as using it for offline, it was good and has been endorsed as being legit.

9 hours ago, elliephil said:

The most accurate way to play 3S at home is emulating it on a PC through MAME/other low latency emulators.  Hook your PC up to a CRT for the true old school experience.

Fightcade uses FinalBurnNeo as its emulator, and FinalBurnNeo has significant input delay.  It's the online standard and tons of people are used to it -- but it will feel laggy if you're used to the real arcade cab.

30th Anniversary is just emulation, so if you are already using MAME/other emulators there's really no point to owning it except for online play.  The only person I know who actually plays 30th Anniversary is @Sonero.

3S Online Edition is an actual port made from the ground up - it's not emulated.  It feels like a different game because it actually is.  Purists will hate it because of this.

My local arcade is a Jazzy Circuit location and people play on real arcade hardware.  If the CPS3 core for the MiSTeR ever gets completed I'm sure that will be a legit way to play the game also.

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

Fightcade uses FinalBurnNeo as its emulator, and FinalBurnNeo has significant input delay.  It's the online standard and tons of people are used to it -- but it will feel laggy if you're used to the real arcade cab.

I bring this up to players and they act like I'm crazy lol

35 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Imagine being this good.  

Gonna find the post where I said JP being able to level 3 you from full screen was dumb shit so the non-believers can appreciate my gift of "sight."

That said, Rashid deserves it.

You all talking bout SF3 versions and made me flip on my cabinet.  I just snapped a video of you.  I suck at 3s but I don't really "feel" any delay.

I can say though playing with a stick, especially a Happ stick, after being on leverless for like 6 months now, feels so damn weird.

But I don't think it gets much better than playing fighting games like this, at least not for someone who grew up in the arcade in the 90's.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Gonna find the post where I said JP being able to level 3 you from full screen was dumb shit so the non-believers can appreciate my gift of "sight."

That said, Rashid deserves it.

Not that I'm ever cheering for JP but have to give props for anyone escaping a level 2 Rashid situation.  I'm usually taking damage 90% of the time.  And for him to not only escape the mixups but end in level 3 is godlike.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
On 4/11/2024 at 6:34 PM, elliephil said:

I bring this up to players and they act like I'm crazy lol

You have to realize that a ton of people on Fightcade weren't even born when 3rd Stirke came out in arcades.  Many have never played the real thing.  Many have never even been to an arcade before.  The Fightcade version is literally all they know.

You're old.  🧓