Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I had to put two cats in cages for grooming appointments. Had to chase one out from under the bed with a vacuum and then dive on my hardwood floor for her like I was diving for a fumble... I’m too old for this shit 🤣

Any time I need to get my cats into carriers I treat it like I'm in the CIA and I'm disappearing someone. I set everything up the day before in another room that has no escape vectors, then I snatch them in their sleep and lock 'em up before they realize what is going on. Even then it still feels touch and go sometimes.

Hard contrast that with my dog experience: "Ivan, wanna go for a ride?" *dog happily jumps into the car*

23 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

We should lounge this week. Get a good crew assembled 

You said "good crew" but I'd be down for that. I need something to break me out of playing Star Renegades over and over. Any night other than tonight should work for me. 

3 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Guys!!! Ya'll have to get your assss to tekken 7 now!! The netcode is GODLIKE!!! 

I'm actually playing with Koreans and Japanese at 5 bar connections!!! 

I played someone from Phillipines and he was on WIFI and it was flawless!!! 

So I take it I chose a good time to get into Tekken?

4 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Guys!!! Ya'll have to get your assss to tekken 7 now!! The netcode is GODLIKE!!! 

I'm actually playing with Koreans and Japanese at 5 bar connections!!! 

I played someone from Phillipines and he was on WIFI and it was flawless!!! 

I'll need Harada to port Pikachu from Pokken to T7 first.

Gimme that Yoda-sized Mishima so I can do literal electrics into electrics. 🤣

19 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Maybe I should’ve worded it better. I don’t dislike that he has a beard, I hate how it looks in-game. It looks glued on rather than looking like an actual beard.

Same. I hated Akuma’s new look for a long time until I saw it in art outside the game and saw that it wasn’t a terrible idea. In fact I’d say he actually looks better with a beard, and now it’s how I picture him mentally.

8/10 idea with 2/10 execution. But really hair in general is the biggest downfall of SFV’s models. 

Edited by Vhozite
12 hours ago, Volta said:

You must really be sick of SFV if you're playing DDV. As a big fan of the series, that game felt like a personal insult. The last image isn't showing for me, which game is it?

Never mind, the link says EC. The animations were god-awful, but I kind of liked the rest of the game.

In retrospect, it really was terrible. I think what I liked most about it was the fact that it had a Story Mode and pseudo fatalities (I believe they were called Overkills) in it. I was pretty bad at the Double Dragon games, so I didn't have a fond memory of the series as a whole back then. But yeah, just about every Double Dragon fan I know would rather pretend that game never existed. I became a much more avid fan of the Double Dragon in the later yrs. Double Dragon 3 was still piss hard for no apparent reason tho. I salute any normal human that was able to complete that game.

I just came across a tweet from a Capcom artist from the 90's that talked about Capcom being approached by DC to make a fighting game:

Funny how I literally was just playing the Justice League fighting game. Now I'm just imagining how the DC characters would've been designed in a Capcom fighting game. 

I haven’t but I’m curious if it’ll run SFV better. Seeing how the game lags on a base PS4 in training mode and apparently runs much better on a good PC, I’m curious if there are similar advantages for the PS5... cutting down the initial loading time from 15 minutes would be nice too lol.

I decided I’ll probably get a PS5 eventually. I was hoping to get a good gaming PC instead, but I can’t justify spending 3-4x as much on one.

Edited by Mattatsu

So somebody asked, "Can Ken combo low forward > fireball after a j.HP?" I responded with, "Why don't you check yourself?" and got ragged on for not giving an answer. The original questioner responded with, "Because I'm bad at execution."

I wanted to bring up the fact that you don't need execution to check the frame data to know what combos, but I was worried more children would probably wet their diapers on how, "Frame data isn't good for beginners to know!" Sounds like bitch-made propaganda to me lol.

What do you guys think? It sounds incredibly childish to expect answers from something that's so easily Googled or manually checked.

8 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

The original questioner responded with, "Because I'm bad at execution."

Then... Why is this person asking? If you can't do it, then why do you need to know if it combos? Seems like a good reason to practice your execution to see if it works. 

I'm usually pro "use the internet, doofus" but if it was a discord or people were just chatting, it could just be a reason to talk for this person. 

13 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

"Frame data isn't good for beginners to know!" Sounds like bitch-made propaganda to me lol.

Do people say this? 

17 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

What do you guys think?

Let's see...

So somebody asked, "Can Ken combo low forward > fireball after a j.HP?" I responded with, "Why don't you check yourself?" and got ragged on for not giving an answer.

If you're not going to answer, then you can at least not be a dick about it. There's a ton of reasons for people asking that, one of the more common ones being that they just can't boot the game and check themselves. There's nothing wrong with that question. Besides, of course, that wackass combo. 

The original questioner responded with, "Because I'm bad at execution."

I wanted to bring up the fact that you don't need execution to check the frame data to know what combos,

Frame data doesn't cover stuff like pushback and all that jazz.

but I was worried more children would probably wet their diapers on how, "Frame data isn't good for beginners to know!" Sounds like bitch-made propaganda to me lol.

That is 100% bitch-made propaganda.

Edited by Volt
1 minute ago, Volt said:

Let's see...

If you're not going to answer, then you can at least not be a dick about it. There's a ton of reasons for people asking that, one of the more common ones being that they just can't boot the game and check themselves. There's nothing wrong with that question. Besides, of course, that wackass combo. 

Frame data doesn't cover stuff like pushback and all that jazz.

That is 100% bitch-made propaganda.

I don't see how I was being a dick though. That's word for word what I wrote. Why don't they just check? 

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

I haven’t but I’m curious if it’ll run SFV better. Seeing how the game lags on a base PS4 in training mode and apparently runs much better on a good PC, I’m curious if there are similar advantages for the PS5... cutting down the initial loading time from 15 minutes would be nice too lol.

I decided I’ll probably get a PS5 eventually. I was hoping to get a good gaming PC instead, but I can’t justify spending 3-4x as much on one.

Fun fact -- loading screen before a match in SFV is fake.  The screen that shows the two characters about to fight is actually hard-coded to display for a certain amount of time, and will display even if the game has already loaded the assets for the match.

If you apply a loading screen mod and run the game on a SSD it will load the match as soon as possible instead of waiting:

PS5 will 1000% load all games faster since PS4 uses a slow HDD and doesn't take advantage of proper SSD speeds even if you put one in.  The difference will be night and day -- but in the case of SFV it won't shave off loading in between matches. 🙃

2 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

I don't see how I was being a dick though.

You were kinda being a dick lol. Answering a question with "figure it out yourself" is always seen as rude. But, to be fair, the question asker is being annoying because this is something they can very easily figure out themselves. And if they can't boot up the game, like Volt said, then why do they need to know NOW. I really think they just wanted to say something, but didn't have anything worth while to say, so they just shouted word vomit into the void.

My mother-in-law does this shit all the time.

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

You were kinda being a dick lol. Answering a question with "figure it out yourself" is always seen as rude. But, to be fair, the question asker is being annoying because this is something they can very easily figure out themselves. And if they can't boot up the game, like Volt said, then why do they need to know NOW. I really think they just wanted to say something, but didn't have anything worth while to say, so they just shouted word vomit into the void.

My mother-in-law does this shit all the time.

What the...

Man, I just think it's super strange to feel that way about something so inconsequential...

6 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Fun fact -- loading screen before a match in SFV is fake.  The screen that shows the two characters about to fight is actually hard-coded to display for a certain amount of time, and will display even if the game has already loaded the assets for the match.

If you apply a loading screen mod and run the game on a SSD it will load the match as soon as possible instead of waiting:

PS5 will 1000% load all games faster since PS4 uses a slow HDD and doesn't take advantage of proper SSD speeds even if you put one in.  The difference will be night and day -- but in the case of SFV it won't shave off loading in between matches. 🙃

Whoa, that's cool. Is there any way to disable it?

1 minute ago, Dayaan said:

I don't see how I was being a dick though.

Because you gave a rough, unhelpful answer for no practical reason.

If you just looked at that question and didn't say a word, you'd have the same result.

4 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Why don't they just check? 

Because you never know what's happening at the other side of the screen. In this case, the dude was just messing up that combo and wanted to make sure it's possible to begin with.

There's really nothing wrong with that question.

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

And if they can't boot up the game, like Volt said, then why do they need to know NOW.

Because some times you just come up with some stuff and want to find out whether or not it works.

It happens to me a lot in college because some classes are mind-numbingly boring. 🤣

Hell, it happened last week with Vhoz trying to break 600 dmg and me waiting on the doctor's office trying to figure out what could work for that with Ryu. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Whoa, that's cool. Is there any way to disable it?

Disable what?

If you want to disable the hard-coded loading screen times you just gotta install the loading screen mod on PC.  I haven't kept up so I don't know what the current version is or if it's been updated to work with the current version of the game.

1 minute ago, misterBee said:

Disable what?

If you want to disable the hard-coded loading screen times you just gotta install the loading screen mod on PC.  I haven't kept up so I don't know what the current version is or if it's been updated to work with the current version of the game.

This is why I never disabled the ADs.

You gotta sit on your thumbs for x-seconds anyway, might as well get some spare change out of it. 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

I don't see how I was being a dick though. That's word for word what I wrote. Why don't they just check? 

So, I have a terrible habit of asking people instead of checking myself. I try my best to stop it, but that’s only been in the last few years once i realized i was doing it. i do realize how annoying it is though (hence why i try not to so it anymore), but i do have times where i have tech questions like this and am at work or something and cant boot up the system to check.

Whenever i have questions like this, i usually send myself an email or a note so i don't forget, but typing the question on a forum is essentially the same amount of work, but it may lead to an answer, and also, other people may learn from the answer as well.

also, not being able to perform the combo itself is funny, but if you don’t have good execution, you may not be able to get something to combo that is actually possible. It would be frustrating for someone to spend 10 minutes labbing a combo, just to find out it doesn’t even work. And also, if they know it can combo, then there’s nothing to stop them from practicing it until they can execute it.

1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

It would be frustrating for someone to spend 10 minutes labbing a combo, just to find out it doesn’t even work.

I've always felt like that's part of the learn curve🤷‍♀️ 6-8 months ago, I'd do this all the time, and now I can identify that something will, or won't combo pretty quickly. 

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I've always felt like that's part of the learn curve🤷‍♀️ 6-8 months ago, I'd do this all the time, and now I can identify that something will, or won't combo pretty quickly. 

Oh, for sure, you definitely get better at it. But if your execution is trash and you cant make anything combo, you’re frustrated as it is. I understand why buddy would want to ask to see if he was wasting his time or not.

i posted on some MK twitter thread the other day that was comparing other games, and someone commented that he really thought SFV was cool, but it pissed him off he couldn't figure out the timings for the combos and dropped it. As simple as this stuff seems to us now, it can be hard and frustrating to those playing a game like this for the first time.

13 minutes ago, Volt said:

Could be worse tho. @Darc_Requiemhit me with one because I said Kazuya would be a cool guest in SF.

Little harsh, but the man sticks to his guns. 

Honestly, I'm against having Kazuya as a guest character in any game. Sega should pull their heads out of their asses and just make a Yakuza fighting game. 

edit: I CAN'T REEEEEAAAAADD

Edited by KingTubb
2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

As simple as this stuff seems to us now,

You over estimate me. Also, for all you perverts out there, search "you over estimate me" in the gif thingy. There wasn't even a ball to pick up and run with on that one, but some of them gifs are of some real "heavy petting"

But no matter the game, unless you're a savant or have been playing multiple games for a long ass time, figuring out the combo timing for a new game is going to be a while. For a dipshit like me, it could be several hours, and for a new player we could be talking dozens of hours. The road to "fighting game literacy" can really suck and is a huge reason this community is so small 

Just now, BornWinner said:

I mean, Mario straight up stomps out girl koopas given the chance so he has that over Kiryu ‘I respect woman’ Kazama.

Well I guess Mario also routinely sacrifices Yoshi's life just to get a couple more feet of air time during a jump so I'm sure at this point that naggo is a straight up sociopath. 

5 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

Well I guess Mario also routinely sacrifices Yoshi's life just to get a couple more feet of air time during a jump so I'm sure at this point that naggo is a straight up sociopath. 

The one chance he had to make a real friend was in Cappy, and he just manipulated him and threw him around like a dirty landlord (whom he might have been named after).

25 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I never thought of Ryu as a woman beater until now... Dude legit punches chicks in the face to make sure he’s still got it

In fairness the context is different. If you found yourself in the octagon against one of the top female fighters in the UFC (dunno who they are, Darc can spot me names) you goddamn better well put up yer dukes. Likewise if Cammy rolls up on you, maybe best to lead with knuckles otherwise you may end up like that dude in the SF2 animated movie.

Unless there is some Udon comic where Ryu just SRKs some random chick on the street. That wouldn't be cool at all. Awkwardly hilarious but not cool.

And if that doesn't exist maybe it should.

Also @KingTubbI think I know exactly the animated .gif you're talking about. I think some of them were tagged....liberally because I sure wasn't searching for what that thing was depicting. 

27 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

In fairness the context is different. If you found yourself in the octagon against one of the top female fighters in the UFC (dunno who they are, Darc can spot me names) you goddamn better well put up yer dukes. Likewise if Cammy rolls up on you, maybe best to lead with knuckles otherwise you may end up like that dude in the SF2 animated movie

Lol SF girls are  definitely ready to throw down. Everyone is always looking at Cammy’s ass floss but if you look at her arms and legs that girl is chiseled. Also those gauntlets she wears have those raised circular portions near that hand that would basically act like brass knuckles. 

Girl could 100% send you to the shadow realm for not acting right lol.

Edit: Laura is another one built to put niggas on a feeding tube. 

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I was going back and forth in my head about getting a PC or PS5.  Right now I want a PC, but it would just be to play SFV.  Yeah can't justify that lol.  

I'm going to be getting a PS5 either way so I'll just wait a bit until a must buy game comes out and pick it up then.  Maybe for Strive in the spring.   I'm assuming it'll run fighting games much better than the PS4.   I mean it has to with those specs. 

Edited by HeavensCloud

I mean it can't play them that much worse than now right? Even with a Pro the PS4 is a still a struggle bus sometimes. Less so with FGs but you do still feel load times and performance here and there.

I've been lucky enough to stash PS5 money and I'm enough of a weeb that I know I'll want exclusives eventually (same thing got me to buy a PS4) so I'm sure I'll grab one. I'm not doing this mad scramble bullshit that happened with preorders and may happen on release day but once they are a little more readily available I'll end up with an obelisk in my living room.