Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

9 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Great news for people that just want the dock

The dock is also compatible with the previous Switch.

Yep.

Also a good hustle opportunity, if you upgrade to the OLED and don't care about the ethernet port, sell the dock and get some of your money back. (Also works if you're selling your old Switch to get the OLED.)

Waiting for someone to brick their OLED one trying to install homebrew on it is also an option.

One way or the other, I can definitely see some finding their way to the market. 🤣

Ngl tho, the audacity of Nintendo in keeping the Base Switch at the same price is something else. You'd expect they'd at least try to reach a broader audience with the old one and phase it out in favor of the OLED, but nope, hold that.

I can't imagine how they're gonna make a legit push for this to sell, but somehow, I know they'll make it work. Nintendo been printing that money for a minute now.

Okay real talk, 
Actual improvements and changes on the new Model of Switch

What's new or changed

•  7-inch OLED screen, still @ 720p (old screen is 6.2")
  • New Dock with built in Ethernet Port (you lose that rear USB 2.0 port)
  • Wider Kick Stand
  • 64 GB internal flash instead of 32GB
  • Better internal speakers

What's the same

• The same Nvidia Tegra X1 SOC since 2017   (CPU: ARM 4 Cortex-A57 cores, 256 Maxwell-based CUDA cores)
  • Same up to 720p in handheld mode
  • Same up to 1080p in docked mode
  • Overall same performance as the last hardware revision (which adds some additional battery life)

What's is not happening/ did not change

• No DLSS
  • No 3840 x 2160 or 2160p Display resolution (a.k.a. 4K)
  • No performance increase what so ever 
  • Possible Joystick Drift

4k on that small a screen is overkill anyway so that's not an issue if I wanted one. 1080p would have been nice but I understand that the games may have some performance issues attempting to run at higher resolutions. That or we'd get constant resolution changing to maintain framerate smoothness which...would kill the point of having a higher resolution screen.

I noticed something was off but I couldn't put my finger on it...

image1.png?width=487&height=442

They fucked up the artstyle.

Look at this washed out mush.

And it gets worse, I thought it was just some wacky stuff because it wasn't a direct feed, but nope. Dread and BotW2's colors POP. BotW2 looks vibrant af. Aaaaand BDSP... Well, see for yourselves.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Damn near back to back frames, how come the battle screen lost most of its color just like that? They really gon sell these kids OLED screens to take the color out of them like this?

EMXhenqXsAAWYGd.jpg

Me seeing the Switch OLED reveal and imagining how rumor spreaders and those waiting on a 4K Switch Pro feel after said reveal.

Chappelle Show Lol GIF

I mean, if anyone that didn't have a Switch and wants to get one, the OLED is a good deal. But I have storage space and stand issues taken care of already so I personally don't have a reason to invest $350 into a new Switch model.

Edited by RegH81

The thing is the pro could still be a thing. They could easily phase out the non-OLED version next year like they did with the OG model switch. 

I don’t think it’ll be 4K by any means but I think it’ll be a significant upgrade if it happens. This is Nintendo we’re talking about. Not to mention they seem all-in with the switch since this amount of success and positivity hasn’t been seen since the Wii/DS era. 

19 hours ago, iStu X said:

The thing is the pro could still be a thing. They could easily phase out the non-OLED version next year like they did with the OG model switch. 

I don’t think it’ll be 4K by any means but I think it’ll be a significant upgrade if it happens. This is Nintendo we’re talking about. Not to mention they seem all-in with the switch since this amount of success and positivity hasn’t been seen since the Wii/DS era. 

True but this feels like they are trying to go the Game Boy route.

Nintendo didn't expect the original GB would last as long as it did and had worked on potential successors to the OG unit for years before they put out the GBA. Often, especially after the Virtual Boy misstep, the reasons they never committed to doing it were 1. it was still selling very well and 2. the cost would hurt their profits. They could have released a device as powerful as the GBA at the time they made the Game Boy Color but figured the price wasn't right yet put out the Color because around that time folk kept coming for their handheld dominance in Japan but didn't want to split the player base that was rekindled by Pokemon. 

Granted different folk were in charge but this OLED feels very much like that. They went a more safe route that won't split the base and will probably use lessons from this on the next device which could really just be a Switch 2 rather a incremental power boost.

5 hours ago, Wellman said:

True but this feels like they are trying to go the Game Boy route.

Nintendo didn't expect the original GB would last as long as it did and had worked on potential successors to the OG unit for years before they put out the GBA. Often, especially after the Virtual Boy misstep, the reasons they never committed to doing it were 1. it was still selling very well and 2. the cost would hurt their profits. They could have released a device as powerful as the GBA at the time they made the Game Boy Color but figured the price wasn't right yet put out the Color because around that time folk kept coming for their handheld dominance in Japan but didn't want to split the player base that was rekindled by Pokemon. 

Granted different folk were in charge but this OLED feels very much like that. They went a more safe route that won't split the base and will probably use lessons from this on the next device which could really just be a Switch 2 rather a incremental power boost.

Speaking of next gen, I wonder if Nintendo still plans to do on the go gaming a priority. Aftwr both Sony and MS released two different versions of their console, maybe they can go for a "pro" Switch 2 only for TV gaming with better specs and a hybrid less powerful Switch 2 that resembles the current system. Either way I pray whatever they release be backwards compatible

So, I went ahead and got the physical version of Hades on Switch... I didn't know it came with some extras, actually... there's download codes for music from the game, and a nice little art booklet with a great look at all the major characters.  I've gotten accustomed to the modern era of there only being the game card/disk in a box and nothing else, so this was a pleasant surprise.  I actually already have this game, but of course I wanted the physical version. (*if I knew beforehand there would be a physical, I would not have bothered getting the digital version, of course)  I was looking for Destroy All Humans! today but that store didn't have it.

Also, Sword of the Necromancer is out and on sale at the moment; something like 10 bucks and change... hell yeah I'm getting that probably before the weekend is over.

• iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. OLED: The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD 7/16 - NEO The World Ends with You 7/26
On 7/6/2021 at 8:21 PM, DarkSakul said:

Possible Joystick Drift

It's been confirmed by multiple tech outlets that Nintendo has not implemented any fixes for the joycons in the OLED version. I'm not buying this new one, as I have a second rev Switch with the better battery life; but I may pick up the dock once Nintendo puts it up for sale just to get rid of the Ethernet dongle I'm using now.

14 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

It's been confirmed by multiple tech outlets that Nintendo has not implemented any fixes for the joycons in the OLED version. I'm not buying this new one, as I have a second rev Switch with the better battery life; but I may pick up the dock once Nintendo puts it up for sale just to get rid of the Ethernet dongle I'm using now.

Please note I place that under things that did not change. 

19 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Yeah, this is so weird.

It's the 2nd revision already, get it together!

Come to think of it... Why does that drift happen anyway?

It has something to do with the stick mounts under the sticks. 

I'm kind if reaching the point that I'm not sure Nintendo can fix it and here is why. Its not Nintendo's fault. I just bought my brother a brand new PS4 controller and the right stick drifts out of the package. That's a Sony product, not a Nintendo one. 

There is some issue going on at the prosuction level. Whoever is making these sticks has cut corners somewhere around the PS360 era, got away with it and just compounded the problem as time went on. The PS5 is also under fire for the controllers sticks already drifting. 

I think the issue is at the Manufacturing level. Not saying Sony/MS/Nintendo shouldn't demand better b3cause they should, but I also don't think its something where they can just walk into the back office and fix the problem. Its farther out of their hands then that I think. 

Just a theory tho. 

Edited by RSG3
21 hours ago, iStu X said:

Every ounce of my being says to not get the OLED model.

What do you play more? hand held mode or docked mode
If you play docked there no reason to spend your money. 

If you want the color scheme get some decals, I suggest Decal Girl
If you want the wired ethernet, you can get that for $12 to $20 for a USB to ethernet adapter (it do the same thing as the new dock).

30 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

It has something to do with the stick mounts under the sticks. 

I'm kind if reaching the point that I'm not sure Nintendo can fix it and here is why. Its not Nintendo's fault. I just bought my brother a brand new PS4 controller and the right stick drifts out of the package. That's a Sony product, not a Nintendo one. 

There is some issue going on at the prosuction level. Whoever is making these sticks has cut corners somewhere around the PS360 era, got away with it and just compounded the problem as time went on. The PS5 is also under fire for the controllers sticks already drifting. 

I think the issue is at the Manufacturing level. Not saying Sony/MS/Nintendo shouldn't demand better b3cause they should, but I also don't think its something where they can just walk into the back office and fix the problem. Its farther out of their hands then that I think. 

Both analog sticks are made by a 3rd party which Sony and Nintendo buys from. 
I am not sure they are up to snuff with wear and tear or is dust and derby getting into the potentiometers causing the drift. 

1 minute ago, DarkSakul said:

I am not sure they are up to snuff with wear and tear or is dust and derby getting into the potentiometers causing the drift. 

They are definitely not up to snuff, it's a consistent problem across all 3 platforms which is why I think there isn't much Nintendo themselves can do besides bitch about it. 

Edited by RSG3

^hell yeah I was just thinking about that; I'm definitely pre-ordering, since in today's world... you can't just get systems normally/casually anymore....it's almost always a struggle.  I guarantee ya it's going to be the same deal---people who don't pre-order will NOT be able to get it....and not for a long, long time.  Like the PS5... basically I've given up any hope of getting that and the new XB until maybe a year or 2 from now if ever.  The days of just casually walking into a store and buying your new system are apparently a thing of the past.

haha, checking out my collection of Miis again... I haven't looked at them in a while; Nintendo really should make more games where a Mii is a playable character.  I made one of myself that is simply called "The Miser"... a bit of an inside joke with friends/family there since I'm admittedly quite a cheapskate bastard.  Miser is right next to the Golgothan and a character named "Turdbird", ...haha the last one I made; I forgot about this guy---I named him DooDoo McGoo.  🤣 I have 42 of them so far.  It would be nice if the customization had more depth naturally like what we see in Miitopia.

16 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I'm now trying to figure out how I plan on getting that Tiger Heli collection. Based on the exchange rates, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if a physical copy costs well over $100 shipped from Amazon Japan. I'm considering trying to get another Yen card for the Japanese eShop, but other than Nippon Yasan I don't really know who sells them

Play Asia is offering free shipping right now if that helps?

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

Knowing Nintendo the only reason we got a OLED model coming is probably because they heard about the Steam Deck. Not interested in either  but it is interesting to see how this may force Nintendo to react if this actually works out for Valve.

If the system is solid then it may be a pretty good thing to have to play some 3rd party games on the go.  The only thing it's going to severely lack is exclusives and I still want to know what the battery life on this thing is going to be.