Stage Select

The DC Movie & TV Thread

On 11/5/2021 at 1:51 PM, AriesWarlock said:

Holy shit. He's so changed now.  He could do a Penguin role 🤣 This is how I remember him

He’s been through a lot of shit. Physically and mentally. Just look up all the injuries he sustained on the mummy trilogy (that the studios refused to pay the medical bills for) on top of being blackballed from Hollywood for so long because he came out about an instance where a producer or director (can’t remember which or who specifically) sexually assaulted him. 

Edited by iStu X

Why won't they just make a weekly Batman show about Batman (no, not him as a kid or him conviently being missing/dead). Make that shit a procedural or something that focuses more on his detective work and the psychological side of Batman. Hell, rip off Batman TAS, but in live action form

Those Bat in the Sun fan films are proof the concept could work, but DC seems to be interesting in making shows about everybody in the Bat family BUT Batman 🤣

I just finished watching Superman TAS Bluray set over the last 2 weeks.

Picture quality: Very good imo. The mage is still 4:3, but the sharpness/color is excellent. It is on par with Batman TAS. There are a few seconds of "soft"  images on the first Parasite episode in Season 1, but overall     9/10

Sound: The DCAU has some of the better sound reproduction for older shows in stereo. The orchestral music is great and the sound effects especially explosions sound better than some modern  5.1 releases theyve put out.    9/10

Packaging: A little simple , but functional. It is a slightly bigger standard bluray packaging with multiple spindles to hold the 6 discs. The discs are silver withthe same image of Supes and just the disc number being different. There is a small booklet with Episode listings and the digital code slip. Normally the "papers" slide into a clip on the inside left but since there is a disc there, youhave to take out the papers to access disc 1.   7.5/10

Special Features:  Unlike Batman TAS, I never had Superman TAS on DVD so I cant do an exact comparison.

This release has 4 episode commentaries (1 being a video commentary) and 6 featurettes (1 is a new 30 min special. The others are carried over from the DVD release in the mid 2000's.)

There are some issues with the commentaries.

1) There are only 4. I wouldnt have known , but when checking reviews on Amazon for the DVD complete version, there were 11 total commentaries, but only 4 are presented here. I dont know if they had a smaller team making this and it was accidentally forgotten or what. Batman TAS Bluray had all 12 commentaries that were recorded for the DVD releases.)

2) When you play the commentaries, it plays it over a Standard Def version of the episode, not the HD.  Most commentaries Ive listened to on both DVD and BD are separate audio tracks like having diff language. I can understand them doing this for the video commentary, but its recorded video and audio, but this is just bizarre.

3) 1 featurette seems to be missing from the DVD releases.      Overall: 7/10

OT, but it feels weird that Superman TAS never got its own movie set in this continuity. Batman and B. Beyond had 1-3 movies 

Show itself:  Supes is a great action adventure show with great animation/stories/voice acting. 

I love how they still tried to do the sympathetic /psychologically twisted villain from Batman with Toyman/Bizarro. Lois was great. 

I loved how they featured many other DC heroes throughout the run: Bats/Flash/GL/Aquaman/Dr Fate/Legion of superheroes etc. 

Two-face and Mr Freeze were my favorite villains in Batman, and Brainiac is mine for Superman TAS. 

The design /voice/backstory - all excellent! Luthor is second.

My favorite eps:  Last son of Krypton, Stolen Memories,Brave New Metropolis, Fun and Games, Apokolips Now, The Late Mr. Kent, Little Girl Lost, Unity, Legacy

I only have a few criticisms:

I didnt find the Parasite episodes that interesting, even his origin. 

I wish Jimmy Olsen would have had more effect on the plot. Other than the first Parasite epi, the Supergirl intro 2-parter, , and the "pal" episode I feel he was underused.

I know this is mostly an action show, but I wish Lois would have either softened her feelings towards Clark towards the end or learned supes identity at some point. 

Its strange that she learns Bats identity before supes lol.

I wished Steel could have figured into the final 2-parter somehow. 

I would give the show itself a 8/10

IMO.

Batman TAS/Justice League - 9/10

Batman Beyond - 7.5/10

The bluray itself is 7.5 due to the  commentary mess ups.

• 2 weeks later...