Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

Not Latino but I view Latin* as a slur. I still remember when first heard of it and asked my coworker about it. Cool dude he got instantly pissed. That's all I needed to know. But that reaction has been the norm in my experience. Last year I was on Destiny 2 chatting via Discord and another chill dude went on like a 45 minute rant about it. It amazes me that the type of people that get offended over everything keep trying to make it a thing. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 hours ago, BB_Hoody said:

Ok so I've been living outside of the U.S for nearly a year now. And it seems it has gotten even more expensive to live in that short time frame. So how are ya or people ya know making it? 

My wife and I are both in an industry that has a hard time keeping enough skilled people, so we grew our income from pathetic to what would be arguably baller in a lot of areas.

At the same time, her last job change had us move from an area that's super cheap to an area that's crazy expensive, so it's been kind of a wash.  (Seriously, the heiress to the M&M Mars fortune lives like two streets over.  There's a lot of fuck-you levels of rich here.)

The biggest financial gain lately is just that fact that my kids are all school aged now so I don't have to drop $30k+ a year in daycare anymore.  Still have to find something to do with them in the summer, but a win is a win.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Latin is a slur?  I've only been seeing Latinx as something not taken too kindly towards  (unless you are John Leguizamo).  I feel like I need to get brushed up on what is considered a slur and not for hispanic people just to make sure I don't accidentally step on a land mine.

If I don't feel comfortable referring to someone by a term, I consider it a slur. Every Latino, I know finds it deeply offensive. As everyone one of them has told me you can't even pronounce it in Spanish. They find it insulting and view it as Americans trying to insert some nonsense into their language and culture. It's something @Hecatomhas mentioned for some time now. I don't know if I should type that shit out anymore. This isn't a delayed response  either, the push back has been immediate.

Edit: For clarification, if I can't refer to a "stranger" as something, it's a slur. Friends may let you slide with saying something that a stranger will throw hands over. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

So, I happened to see the cops questioning a woman earlier this morning at a Walmart...yep of course she had one of those bonnets on so naturally there was trouble as one might expect.  It wasn't long before they threw the cuffs on as she started crying and generally freaking out.  Of course I didn't intend to stay and watch whatever was about to happen...I'm always there to get whatever groceries I wanted and leave asap....besides it's always best to keep your distance from any situations involving those "Little Goomba" lookin' bonnet brigade women anytime you can at all cost.

Smash Episode 8 GIF by Paramount+<--amazes me that they never realize it makes them look like this character....or that silly ass bard from Baldur's Gate 3 now....sad thing is that it's multiple generations of women wearing that goofball nonsense now; Gen-X, Millenial and some Gen Z...and the next ones that are kids right now are already growing up wearing it.  So far I don't think I've seen Boomer-age women wearing it though.

Passions episode 47--- so Faith finally met her twin-sister Grace which is what the old witch Tabitha was trying to prevent...so she had to acquire more powers... she went down to the basement of her house to meet with the demons so she could gain more magic power... then transformed into a dog and showed up at Faith's place to confront her in dog-form.... [18:25 if the time-stamp doesn't work]

Edited by MillionX
8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

if I can't refer to a "stranger" as something, it's a slur. Friends may let you slide with saying something that a stranger will throw hands over. 

Same goes for "Paki." Please don't be using that shit in public. I don't mind, but you can't be using that unless you're actually a Pakistani without any kind of approval. That is a British slur and we don't appreciate that.

Be careful about what you say and who you say it to.

Edited by Dayaan
10 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Latin is a slur?  I've only been seeing Latinx as something not taken too kindly towards  (unless you are John Leguizamo).  I feel like I need to get brushed up on what is considered a slur and not for hispanic people just to make sure I don't accidentally step on a land mine.

He means the latinx, latine and other variants, hence the *

12 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

biden's inflation killin us bro. joe gotta go.

Our inflations one of the lowest in the entire world bro. 

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

Same goes for "Paki." Please don't be using that shit in public. I don't mind, but you can't be using that unless you're actually a Pakistani without any kind of approval. That is a British slur and we don't appreciate that.

Be careful about what you say and who you say it to.

Winder how that plays out on the east coast where they call the liquor store a Packy. 

3 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Nice. Today my dentist told me that if I want braces, I have to pay $6000 out of pocket. I have insurance. Remember, the west does not care about your health. Thousands of Pakistani immigrants fly back to Pakistan to get checkups and treatments before returning to their homes abroad because the travel and treatment costs to get world class healthcare in Pakistan are cheaper than to get treated out here.

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

Nice. Today my dentist told me that if I want braces, I have to pay $6000 out of pocket. I have insurance. Remember, the west does not care about your health. Thousands of Pakistani immigrants fly back to Pakistan to get checkups and treatments before returning to their homes abroad because the travel and treatment costs to get world class healthcare in Pakistan are cheaper than to get treated out here.

Dude, all I need to do is a 2-hour drive to the border, cross over, and see a dentist/endodontist  at Piedras Negras that basically fixed a cracked molar that was giving me HELLA pain and it all cost me $500-$600, a procedure that would cost me over $2K here in the States

10 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Remember, the west does not care about your health.

But I've been told so many times we have the best health care in the world, even if Americans can't get it it's the still best, somehow. 

People come from all over the world for health care the locals can't even begin to afford and have to flee the country to other nations to get halfway reasonably affordable Health care. 

BUT ITS THE BEST IN THE WORLD, AMERICA FUCK YEA!!!!

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Reticently said:

Technically it's available to just about anyone.  You just need to use the ER as your primary care provider and be willing to have bill collectors hound you endlessly.

I agree with @RSG3. Too often people end up in the ER for something that could have been treated with ease earlier on but is now dire because they couldn't afford to go to the doctor.

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I agree with @RSG3. Too often people end up in the ER for something that could have been treated with ease earlier on but is now dire because they couldn't afford to go to the doctor.

I wasn't disagreeing with RSG3, just providing context on the specific way the US system is fucked up.  You can walk in the ER and get six figures worth of emergency care guaranteed, but you can't get a $50 PCP visit that would have caught the problem if you can't come up with the $50.

9 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The problem as far as I can see is insurance companies are like the mafia. If it was just you and your doctor without this interloping company telling you what you can and can't get, the system would be a lot cheaper and easier to navigate. There's even this, I don't know if you'd call it a "movement," but there are doctors out there that don't accept insurance and instead you just pay the doc a monthly fee or or just pay per visit. I tried to find one of those around us, but this one guy I know out in California sees one and swears by it.

That said, if you don't have any other option for insurance, Obamacare really is good if you pick the right plan. It's not super complicated to get set up and depending on your level of income, you can get a significant portion of your premiums subsidized. Seems like a lot of folks forget it exists.

Insurance companies are just one of the several ways America fucks up the health care system, but they're definitely a big one.

Even with stuff like Obamacare to fill the gaps, it requires a degree of proactive competency that a lot of chronically ill poor don't have in spades.  Lot's of poor people don't even get hooked up with the free government programs they may qualify for until they have a medical emergency and a social worker on staff at the hospital start submitting application paperwork for them.

4 hours ago, Reticently said:

Technically it's available to just about anyone.  You just need to use the ER as your primary care provider and be willing to have bill collectors hound you endlessly.

Technically untrue as not every medical issue can be solved by the ER. ER can't do shit about my eyesight my dude. Lots of other life changing medical problems Americans have that can't get treated because the ER doesn't do that shit 👍

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Technically untrue as not every medical issue can be solved by the ER. ER can't do shit about my eyesight my dude. Lots of other life changing medical problems Americans have that can't get treated because the ER doesn't do that shit 👍

Yeah, I was speaking generally, not trying to be a dick about specific cases- sorry.  

That lady confronting the manager because he called the cops on people stealing from the store is clown shoes.  Her logic is all fucked up.  "Its not your merchandise and you work with black people"  Maybe they shouldn't be trying to steal from the store?  I mean yeah there is a chance that the cops that answer the call are of the "shoot first" variety but he can't go out of his way to physically stop them so calling the police is the only answer.  The race of the person STEALING from the store doesn't matter.

It's like youtube has a committee of people that are there specifically to come up with new increasingly worse, annoying shit....so now it's finally happening, and every time there's a pop-up that says effectively "hey, you're using an ad-blocker.  Please enable ads." ...though oddly enough you can still "x" that shit out and proceed anyway....I'm sure the days of simply closing the pop-up are numbered, of course.  Previously it could be Xed but now there's a countdown as well.  On other sites when I see this it just makes me want to never return to said website.

21 hours ago, Lantis said:

Dude, all I need to do is a 2-hour drive to the border, cross over, and see a dentist/endodontist  at Piedras Negras that basically fixed a cracked molar that was giving me HELLA pain and it all cost me $500-$600, a procedure that would cost me over $2K here in the States

Is that only for you? Can I as a Pakistani do that as well? I might consider it.

20 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

or just save money,  stick with fucked up teeth. like me.

gummy-smile-dentist.gif

just dont ever smile. ever.

My teeth are nice and white, and visually straight. It was just a recommendation from the dentist - I'm assuming it was a standard money grabbing procedure. I never brush my teeth though. I just get (insert MS user)'s mom to wipe my teeth clean with her tongue.

12 hours ago, RSG3 said:

But I've been told so many times we have the best health care in the world, even if Americans can't get it it's the still best, somehow. 

People come from all over the world for health care the locals can't even begin to afford and have to flee the country to other nations to get halfway reasonably affordable Health care. 

BUT ITS THE BEST IN THE WORLD, AMERICA FUCK YEA!!!!

America has some of the best healthcare in the world if you're very rich. And remember, rich people are the only humans in the world. Anything below that is subhuman. As such, 100% of humans in America get quality healthcare! What an advanced system!

I find it incredibly silly how if you ask for simple receipt after a very expensive visit to the doctor that your bill is cut to a third of the cost. Remember, people: you have the right to contest your healthcare costs.

I've been following the SBF trial this week and there has been very damning testimony already. Gary Wang, the co-founder of FTX, testified that SBF directed Wang to code the system in a way to withdraw UNLIMITED customer funds from FTX. Alameda (where the money was funneled to) was also awarded a $65 billion line of credit at FTX, arrangements that were never disclosed to customers or investors. Alameda eventually borrowed as much as $14 billion from FTX.

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

Is that only for you? Can I as a Pakistani do that as well? I might consider it.

I don't see why not? All you need is your US passport to reenter and that's about it.

Fun fact: the dentist I went to said that even a former NBA player went to get his teeth done with him (Erick Dampier). That's pretty telling when even a basketball player (who earns about 10 times as much as us simple mortals do) tries to evade the injustices of the American healthcare system LOL