Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

10 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I still think he should be in charge of Star Wars lore.  Dude clearly cares about the IP. Make Favreau the studio head and Filoni narrative/story head.

Filoni talking about how important Qui Gon and Kenobi vs Maul in Ep. 1 was to the entire overarching Star Wars canon had me like 

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

the movie was still trash but him breaking it down so intellectually and with such passion made me respect the first 6 as a whole 

Edited by iStu X
9 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Filoni talking about how important Qui Gon and Kenobi vs Maul in Ep. 1 was to the entire overarching Star Wars canon had me like 

the movie was still trash but him breaking it down so intellectually and with such passion made me respect the first 6 as a whole 

Yeah, I saw that. It was great. It's like damn if Qui Gon won. Anakin doesn't become Darth Vader. While Obi Wan and Anakin grew to have a brotherly relationship. Obi Wan only trained Anakin out of obligation initially. Qui Gon would been all in from the get go and the father figure Anakin needed and Palpatine became in actuality.

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

The duel of the fates discussion video is when the Fandom collectively thought of him as zaddy. 

Had he been Lucas's second, George probably wouldn't have felt compelled to succumb to the criticsm and seek it. He gets the vision and talks to Lucas, he understands the vision. 

Edited by Maxx
4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

Boba still got it!

New episode was fucking great. 

This was the best example of showing not saying. We've heard how bad ass that character was for years, this showed it. Literally 5 minutes of this episode did more for that character than anything else. The longer this show goes on the more, I want Favreau and Filoni to run things. They get the IP. They get what works. 

24 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Amazing episode. So damn good. Was fantastic. 

But...

Hide contents

Mando running off without his jetpack is bullshit. I don't buy it. 

Everything else was fucking great. Figures the action was really on point this episode, the director was Robert Rodriguez. 

Spoiler

I disagree. I 100% buy it and it was actually great subtle story telling, imo. 

Between the fire fight, the reinforcements, doom troopers and saving the child he went purely off instincts, arguably parental instincts where he wouldn’t let anything stop him from saving the child. It was instinct over judgement. 

mando usually has time to calculate, to plan, to come up with a solution and often times bounce ideas off someone else. In this scenario everything was happening at such a breakneck pace, everyone being scattered  and on top of what was at stake for him and grogu he naturally went off like I said earlier, parental instincts to protect the child.

Even as Grogu was on the stone and Mando trying to get him off he could tell the looming danger and wanted to leave. He’s doing whatever he can to protect Grogu. At first it was due to a code and creed. Now it’s slowly becoming because he’s slowly caring more and more for the child as they go through all these trials and tribulations together.

Ahsoka even said Grogu sees him as a father and is extremely attached to Mando. Which is hinting at Mando knows there is something more than just a mission. He just doesn’t really know how to decipher it all. 

Edited by iStu X
20 minutes ago, iStu X said:
  Hide contents

Between the fire fight, the reinforcements, doom troopers and saving the child he went purely off instincts, arguably parental instincts where he wouldn’t let anything stop him from saving the child. It was instinct over judgement. 

mando usually has time to calculate, to plan, to come up with a solution and often times bounce ideas off someone else. In this scenario everything was happening at such a breakneck pace, everyone being scattered  and on top of what was at stake for him and grogu he naturally went off like I said earlier, parental instincts to protect the child.

Even as Grogu was on the stone and Mando trying to get him off he could tell the looming danger and wanted to leave. He’s doing whatever he can to protect Grogu. At first it was due to a code and creed. Now it’s slowly becoming because he’s slowly caring more and more for the child as they go through all these trials and tribulations together.

Ahsoka even said Grogu sees him as a father and is extremely attached to Mando. Which is hinting at Mando knows there is something more than just a mission. He just doesn’t really know how to decipher it all. 

Spoiler

I think Mando is aware of what's happening. At the start of the episode he was saying his name affectionately when he was practicing with his force powers. His little talk about having to leave him with a Jedi once they find one almost sounds like he's convincing himself of it and not the kid. 

9 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

I think Mando is aware of what's happening. At the start of the episode he was saying his name affectionately when he was practicing with his force powers. His little talk about having to leave him with a Jedi once they find one almost sounds like he's convincing himself of it and not the kid. 

Spoiler

Agreed. He just doesn’t really know how to process it due to how he was raised. No name. No family. No connections to people except comrades in arms. Just training, training, training.

His sect of Mandalorians were a group of nomads but United by a code. He’s slowly unlearning that code. 

the wheels are turning. Just slowly 

Edited by iStu X
5 minutes ago, iStu X said:
  Hide contents

Agreed. He just doesn’t really know how to process it due to how he was raised. No name. No family. No connections to people except comrades in arms. Just training, training, training.

His sect of Mandalorians were a group of nomads but United by a code. He’s slowly unlearning that code. 

the wheels are turning. Just slowly 

Din Djarin is his name. It was revealed in the season 1 finale. It would be nice if anyone called him that or at least ask him for his name. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
3 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Din Djarin is his name. It was revealed in the season 1 finale. It would be nice if anyone called him that or at least ask him for his name. 

I know his name. But he even said that he put on the armor he basically lost his name. When Moff Gideon calls him out by his name he says to the others he hasn’t been called his name since he first became a foundling 

Edited by iStu X
11 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Just like the child, most folks are going to call him by the name they have been calling him from the jump.

Baby Yoda ain't going to disappear overnight and Carl Weathers ain't bellow out the name Din like he did 'MANDO'.

13 hours ago, iStu X said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I just don't believe he would forget his jetpack. Nofor a second. It's his religion. He spent his woke life worshiping his armor. This would be like him forgetting to not take his helmet off. But ok sure say he forgot the first time. Didn't cross his mind when running back and fourth either? Came off as a huge plot contrivance in order for the Doom Troopers to be able to make off with the kid without Mando being able to persue. I spent the entire episode yelling at the screen "Get your god damn fucking Jetpack Mando!" 

I just don't buy it. I didn't feel like a natural way to separate him from his pack. 

Edited by RSG3
59 minutes ago, RSG3 said:
  Hide contents

I just don't believe he would forget his jetpack. Nofor a second. It's his religion. He spent his woke life worshiping his armor. This would be like him forgetting to not take his helmet off. But ok sure say he forgot the first time. Didn't cross his mind when running back and fourth either? Came off as a huge plot contrivance in order for the Doom Troopers to be able to make off with the kid without Mando being able to persue. I spent the entire episode yelling at the screen "Get your god damn fucking Jetpack Mando!" 

I just don't buy it. I didn't feel like a natural way to separate him from his pack. 

Spoiler

That’s the exact point I’m making  though. It isn’t supposed to make sense. As I said, he’s going off  parental instinct instead of logic. 

Edited by iStu X
6 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

All they needed was a shot of them laying fire around it and he couldn't retrieve it. That would have been explanation enough. Right now, it felt like reasons. 

That said, it may be my favorite of the season.

Yea i'd buy anything more then "he didn't think of it." A ship landing near or troopers around, the area being too hot to retrieve it, anything else would have probably worked better for me. 

End of the day it's a minor gripe at best. I really don't mean to harp on it or anything cuz the episode was just excellent all around. I'm fucking knit picking at this point. 

Edited by RSG3
39 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

LoZ was never meant to have a timeline...it was only made because fans kept nagging about one.

Pretty much, Its pretty blatantly obvious they dumped BOTW 10k into the future so they wouldnt have to deal with the timeline nonsense. Whats hilarious is looks like AOC is gonna fuck that shit up to with fucking time travel hahaha.

Man Nintendo dont care about no time line lol.

Edited by RSG3
18 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Bad Batch looking dooooope. 

it’s still laughable that people didn’t think Disney+ was going to be a big deal. 

True, most companies are finding out what Netflix learned beating Hulu and Amazon Prime Video, original content you can control is the key. Disney has a lot of properties to grab folk and pricing at the moment too.

5 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Is anyone as hype as me about the Taika Waititi project?

Looking forward too it but I don't really get excited for a director's project until there is some context behind their upcoming work. 

On that note, I guess at this point the Rian Johnson Trilogy is on uber hiatus. My thought is that they are bringing fan confidence back into the fold. He'll likely direct a few episodes in some of these works and then the project/trilogy will be formally announced. Star Wars/Lucasfilm still has the statement about the project on the website, but you can't get to the one about the Benioff and Weiss one anymore. 

You also have stories like this: 

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/star-wars-the-mandalorian-dave-filoni-directing-rian-johnson-the-last-jedi/

So my man is still on the Star Wars set. I think with the right story leads (and a consistent vision) we will have something awesome.

7 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

but I don't really get excited for a director's project until there is some context behind their upcoming work. 

I guess he's directing and writing it. He won his oscar for writing, but also he did that on a project that didn't have Disney breathing down his neck...

BUT he already directed Ragnarok, so he knows how the beast eats. 

Respect you're reservations, but Waititi is one of my favorite people in film right now, and the dude is hitting his stride hard. He's spinning a lot of plates, so I'm a little worried that he might stretch himself thin, but who knows. 

He's also supposed to direct the live action Akira movie. Hope he stays busy enough so that never happens 

15 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I guess he's directing and writing it. He won his oscar for writing, but also he did that on a project that didn't have Disney breathing down his neck...

BUT he already directed Ragnarok, so he knows how the beast eats. 

Respect you're reservations, but Waititi is one of my favorite people in film right now, and the dude is hitting his stride hard. He's spinning a lot of plates, so I'm a little worried that he might stretch himself thin, but who knows. 

He's also supposed to direct the live action Akira movie. Hope he stays busy enough so that never happens 

Oh don't get me wrong, once they have a box out there, hype levels will increase. 

and that Akira movie . . . . . 

tenor.png

Yo. This weeks episode was so god damn hype 

Spoiler

Mayfield redemption and his talk about morals and values with Mando

Mando unmasking in front of people to get info on the child

Mando telling Gideon he’s coming for that ass by giving him the same speech Gideon used. 

I need the SE2 finale now. 

re: Taika Waititi 

I will watch anything that man puts his touch on. He is such a great writer and director. Probably my favorite right now. 

Honestly they should have had him helm the Solo movie. He’s really good at mixing dark humor and/or dry humor with intense drama. JoJo Rabbit is huge proof of that. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

I will watch anything that man puts his touch on. He is such a great writer and director. Probably my favorite right now. 

Honestly they should have had him helm the Solo movie. He’s really good at mixing dark humor and/or dry humor with intense drama. JoJo Rabbit is huge proof of that. 

Watiti, Johnson,  and Favreau are directors of some of my favorite movies in the more recent years. Glad to have all of them engaged in the franchise. I gotta admit that I didn't see What We Do in the Shadows till after Ragnarok. My wife and I died watching that movie 🤣