Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

11 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Disagreeing with what happened or coming up with alternate solutions doesn’t mean I’m not okay with it. I’ve literally said why I’m okay with it. Which is I trust Filoni and Favraue. They just get it when it comes to Star Wars. 

Also both of you seem to keep missing this. Weird. 🤔

Since it's been confirmed that one of the movies follows closely to George Lucas's vision for . . . . .

Spoiler

Luke Skywalker, maybe there is some context that can be added from that scene. There was that one moment in TLJ when Luke meets Rey and says, "You think I'm going to walk out with a laser sword and face down the First Order"? Having this scene adds a sense of "well, we know he can" and he doesn't. It adds layers that we didn't get. It gets rid of the imagination and in the narrative it establishes what can be done. I wonder how much filling in we are going to get with the First Order and the years in between. If we got to see the fall of Master Skywalker instead of a fetch quest in TFA, I think things would have been different. 

and for laughs

recipe.png

Edited by OPTIMUS124
31 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Grass isn't always greener. Lot people that were crapping on Lucas wanted him back after the Sequel Tragedy.

Yea, been pretty embarrassing to watch people 180 on 15 years of shitting on George as if they didn't do that horse shit. 

12 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

His ideas for the sequel trilogy was better than what we got. Sith gangsters led by Maul would have been so fucking awesome. 

The PT is proof that just being a good idea isn't enough. 

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Yea, been pretty embarrassing to watch people 180 on 15 years of shitting on George as if they didn't do that horse shit.

The story in the PT isn't bad, but the writing and directing is terrible. If George would have given up some control over them and let other people write the screenplay and direct then, then those three movies could have potentially been great. George is brilliant at creating stories, but executing them isn't his strength. He's a more of a visionary.

I wish he would have written into the Disney contract that he would have been on the production team for the ST, giving it a cohesive framework instead of allowing different directors free will to shape the story to their individual visions. 

6 hours ago, Chadouken said:

but the writing and directing is terrible.

prince yes GIF

They're some seriously heavy hitters as far as actors go in that trilogy and everyone is stiff and wooden as a board. 

Ewen McGregor drags Obi-Wan kicking and screaming to a semi-charming performance, but he's the diamond in the rough. That's why I'm excited for his new show, it should be pretty good. 

7 hours ago, Chadouken said:

The story in the PT isn't bad, but the writing and directing is terrible. If George would have given up some control over them and let other people write the screenplay and direct then, then those three movies could have potentially been great. George is brilliant at creating stories, but executing them isn't his strength. He's a more of a visionary.

I wish he would have written into the Disney contract that he would have been on the production team for the ST, giving it a cohesive framework instead of allowing different directors free will to shape the story to their individual visions. 

Yea im not saying there isnt conconstructive criticism to be given because their absolutly is, but you and I know both know the majority of what was said about the PT before the ST came out wasn't anywhere within the realm of constructive. 

Edited by RSG3
On 12/19/2020 at 4:09 AM, iStu X said:

I very strongly feel like the odd man out cause the final moments of that episode did absolutely nothing for me. 
it wasn’t a bad scene or whatever. I just don’t really like 

Reveal hidden contents

The core series of Star Wars cast. I care more about the what, when, where and why and how Star Wars all connects but the core cast of characters I just don’t care about. I care about all the b-side, and behind the scene characters, the events and the characters of old that make the universe tick. The less of the core cast the better. 

the Luke reveal felt more like a nostalgia/member berries moment that it did in an actual story telling sense. 

So I simply didn’t  feel invested or emotional in those closing moments.  I hope they turn it into something great though. Which I’m sure it will. It’s clear Filion and Favraue are playing the long game

post credits scene was fire though

Spoiler

Just speaking for myself, but when I said "these characters" I really just meant Grogu and Mando. Their journey together affected me more than I realized when they were saying goodbye. While the Luke cameo was cute, I couldn't care less about the Skywalkers lmao.

12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea im not saying there isnt conconstructive criticism to be given because their absolutly is, but you and I know both know the majority of what was said about the PT before the ST came out wasn't anywhere within the realm of constructive. 

It's just cool to hate the ST now just like it was cool to hate the prequels back then. 

4 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

It's just cool to hate the ST now just like it was cool to hate the prequels back then

Word. 

I will say that while I don't think the ST is nearly as horrible as people say it is, the shitstorm that surrounded it made me stop caring. 

When I saw TLJ in theaters, I had a good time. Then everyone poked holes in it, some of which lined up for me, and now I just don't care about that movie. 

I never really watched Star Wars critically before TLJ. It was always a fun space story with charming characters, then people started to dig and I started to pay attention and it sorta blew up the whole series for me. 

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I will say that while I don't think the ST is nearly as horrible as people say it is, the shitstorm that surrounded it made me stop caring.

It's a whole lot nicer if people just let folks enjoy things. I'm not a fan of TRoS but I know a ton of people that do. I don't run around pissing in their cornflakes. 

That's a thing with fandoms, if it's not a 1:1 recreation of the original, it's seen as not as good. The only franchise that has done well from an existing media format turned blockbuster is Marvel. I think this has more to do with the approach to storytelling and there wasn't an expectation to be a reference check to what came before. The entire Infinity Saga (overall) isn't a traditional three-act structure. 11 years and 23 movies gives you a lot of wiggle room. 

5 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I don't run around pissing in their cornflakes. 

What the hell do you use the internet for??

But yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've had dorks corner me and lecture me on how much the new star wars sucks. 

One guy told me he rewrote the whole ST script and wanted me to read it. Fuck outta here. I just want to see cool space ships. 

Speaking of which, Mando season 2 bringing back the Slave 1 sonic boom bombs was a pure delight. 

Edited by KingTubb
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Is that when people were sending death threats and shit?

38 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

When I saw TLJ in theaters, I had a good time. Then everyone poked holes in it, some of which lined up for me, and now I just don't care about that movie. 

I was a staunch defender of TLJ.  I loved that movie, until TRoS fucking ruined it. Episode 9 made Episode 8 a worse movie, because Disney was too chickenshit of the entitled  pussyassbitch fan base and had to retcon everything that made 8 awesome.

Edit: @misterBee you can merge these posts together if you want. Didn't want to double post but I don't know how to edit a post and drop a new quote in it on my phone. Sorry man.

Edited by Chadouken
I'm dumb.
8 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Is that when people were sending death threats and shit?

Yea, from actor to director. People I've seen spend years calling Lucas a hack are now flipping the script and acting like they never said that shit. 

It's gross. It was gross to watch them be monsters and it's gross to watch them pretend they never did that shit. 

Edited by RSG3
3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

It's gross. 

Yeah we've talked about that before on SRK. That is disgusting, and completely inexcusable.

For what it's worth, I've always trashed Lucas's directing abilities, not his visionary prowess. I've held the same opinion of how the PT could have been great movies since I saw them the first time in the theaters. Let other people who are good at screenwriting and directing get involved!

Ironically, the ST suffers from the exact opposite problem. Decent directing and screenwriting, but no vision.

Edited by Chadouken
8 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Yeah we've talked about that before on SRK. That is disgusting, and completely inexcusable.

For what it's worth, I've always trashed Lucas's directing abilities, not his visionary prowess. I've held the same opinion of how the PT could have been great movies since I saw them the first time in the theaters. Let other people who are good at screenwriting and directing get involved!

He's an ok director. He has some success in the field, American Graffiti is great, and THX is wired and experimental and interesting. 

Honestly tho he hates directing. He didn't want to direct the PT, he asked Steven Spielberg to do it. Steven convinced George to do it himself. 

He's not an amazing director by any stretch, but I think he is better then he gets credit for. 

Edit: Or was anyway, he hasn't done it in well over a decade, he didn't really like doing it to begin with, and skills you don't use usually go away. Dont use it you lose it as the saying goes. So maybe he is no good at it now, and that's ok, but he has some good work under his belt in that field that people don't give him due credit for imo. 

Edited by RSG3

That seriously downplays how much work goes into making a movie. Not writing the script itself or directing doesn't mean he didn't really do any of the film making. That's only two of hundreds upon hundreds of rolls that go into making a movie work. 

For example the Editor is just as important as the director (when they aren't the same guy) if not more important because the edit is where the actual movie is made. 

People say Episode 4 was saved in the Edit for a reason as an on topic example. 

Edited by RSG3
2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

That seriously downplays how much work goes into making a movie. Not writing the script itself or directing doesn't mean he didn't really do any of the film making. That's only two of hundreds upon hundreds of rolls that go into making a movie work. 

I'm sure he was on set and stuff, but he wasn't the boots on the ground, pointing the camera and writing the words the actors were saying like he was with the PT.

you knew what I meant, come on, homie. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

There's still more story to tell with Mando. The darksaber issue needs to be resolved.

It will be interesting to see if the show holds it's numbers and popularity now that the cute big eyed big eared baby who sells ass loads of toys is now, seemingly, gone and not a part of the show anymore. 

6 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

It will be interesting to see if the show holds it's numbers and popularity now that the cute big eyed big eared baby who sells ass loads of toys is now, seemingly, gone and not a part of the show anymore. 

It'll be a nice change of pace. I was starting to get tired of being anxious about Mando having to kill all the fucks while protecting baby Yoda. 

2 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

It's just cool to hate the ST now just like it was cool to hate the prequels back then. 

I don't think things will pan out as well for ST for two reasons. ST wasn't good ideas poorly executed it was a well filmed poorly constructive narrative  and people aren't going to forget what was done to Luke Skywalker.

@LantisComing to Disney Plus in 2022...What Happened To Axe Woves?

3 hours ago, KingTubb said:

What the hell do you use the internet for??

For knowledge and defense,  never for attack.

56 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

people aren't going to forget what was done to Luke Skywalker.

Still think that was one of the best things done. Going forward, I am certain we will see the fall of the order which will bookend to that portrayal. Like I mentioned before, if Ep VII wasn't a retelling of ANH and explained why there is a FIrst Order, it'd have been more palatable as to why we have a broken hero. Remember, the prequels are better because of the Clone Wars. Same will likely be the case here. 

EDIT - 

Random connection - The Walker used in that Mando episode seems very reminiscent of the concept art used for Duel of the Fates (Alternate universe episode IX)

THIS . . . . .ALL OF THIS! 

Spoiler

I couldn't say it any better. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

For knowledge and defense,  never for attack.

Still think that was one of the best things done. Going forward, I am certain we will see the fall of the order which will bookend to that portrayal. Like I mentioned before, if Ep VII wasn't a retelling of ANH and explained why there is a FIrst Order, it'd have been more palatable as to why we have a broken hero. Remember, the prequels are better because of the Clone Wars. Same will likely be the case here. 

EDIT - 

Random connection - The Walker used in that Mando episode seems very reminiscent of the concept art used for Duel of the Fates (Alternate universe episode IX)

THIS . . . . .ALL OF THIS! 

Reveal hidden contents

I couldn't say it any better. 

I know I'm in the minority but I still love grumpy old man Luke. I don't know if they purposely infused him with Mark hamills personality or it's just a coincidence they went that way but it's always been great to me. I love both versions and whether people wanna like it or not... He plays an important role in the era. You just can't ignore that fact.. Especially if people want more from this time of star wars its just what's going on in the background. The narrative doesn't have to be them at the lead but you need to acknowledge they exist at least