Stage Select

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

• 2 weeks later...

A One Piece anime remake is in the works from Netflix and Wit Studio

The series, called The One Piece, will go back to the beginning of the long-running manga.

60a87710-9d28-11ee-bf2f-2449cc53b0ec

Right now’s a really good time to be a One Piece fan. Netflix announced on Sunday that it’s working with Wit Studio — the animation studio behind the early seasons of Attack on Titan and Vinland Saga — for a new anime adaptation of the long-running series. It’ll start fresh from the East Blue saga, or the beginning of Eiichiro Oda’s manga, which is now in its final saga and expected to wrap up in the next few yea

One Piece follows the adventures of the rubber-limbed pirate Monkey D. Luffy and his crew, known as the Straw Hats. Both the manga and the original anime series have been ongoing since the late ‘90s. And, just this summer, Netflix released a live-action One Piece adaptation that was surprisingly well received considering Hollywood’s track record with live-action anime remakes.

As many have been preparing for the inevitable void that will be left when the manga and original anime come to an end, the latest announcement couldn’t be better timed. There’s little information available about the new series at this stage beyond the fact that it will be called The One Piece and “will recreate the story of the original One Piece manga.” We don’t have a release date yet, but Netflix says it’s in production now.

I think it would be cool if they remade the original Dragon Ball.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 1:11 AM, JGreen said:

Randomly started listening to the Macross Frontier soundtrack. It brought back some good memories and now I'm starting the series. The weird thing, I don't think there's any legal way to watch it in the US. I couldn't find a dvd or blu ray release. It's also not on any streaming service that I could see.

The OST is tupid catchy and honestly the last Macross i saw. The last song still slaps thou.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to finish Castlevania. Def one of the best things on Netflix and just a freaking amazing adaptation of a video game IP.

I'm picking up manga before work on Tuesday and see the first book for Magic Knight Rayearth. Never saw the anime back in the day but am aware of it's popularity. Decided to pick it up and ordered book 2 off Amazon. Guess I'll see what the fuss was all about but I'm already loving that old-school artwork.

• 2 weeks later...

so I heard someone mention that Thousand Year Blood War has been out on blu-ray....certainly wouldn't know that from going to stores here since the bastards are *all* trying their best to kill off physical media....so I looked it up and----this is 62 bucks and change....ehhhh that's just----I don't agree that an anime show on disc should cost that much, tbh:

https://www.amazon.com/Bleach-Thousand-Year-Blood-War-Blu-ray/dp/B0CQN64NH7 

...and again it annoys the hell out of me that this is the new norm at this point... that to find a blu-ray of something from here on out, chances are you'd have to look it up online and order it (then wait for delivery... then hope some shit-head "porch pirates" don't steal it before you can get to it, btw...you also have to hope the package isn't fucked up at some point in the delivery as well)....instead of the good ol' days where I could casually just walk into any of several stores (Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City in the 90s, etc. etc.) that sell dvds and blu-rays (with HUGE sections to browse, btw, not just 1 goddamn half a shelf with only "new release" shit that came out in the past year...yeah this situation pisses me off the more I think about it), and buy something right then and there after browsing, and take it home.  If I could just freeze things in that late 90s to early 2000s era then I'd love it to stay that way forever.

Edited by MillionX
On 2/24/2024 at 10:18 PM, MillionX said:

...and again it annoys the hell out of me that this is the new norm at this point... that to find a blu-ray of something from here on out, chances are you'd have to look it up online and order it (then wait for delivery... then hope some shit-head "porch pirates" don't steal it before you can get to it, btw...you also have to hope the package isn't fucked up at some point in the delivery as well)....instead of the good ol' days where I could casually just walk into any of several stores (Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City in the 90s, etc. etc.) that sell dvds and blu-rays (with HUGE sections to browse, btw, not just 1 goddamn half a shelf with only "new release" shit that came out in the past year...yeah this situation pisses me off the more I think about it), and buy something right then and there after browsing, and take it home.  If I could just freeze things in that late 90s to early 2000s era then I'd love it to stay that way forever.

The best part is when you play the blu ray and the shit stops playing part way through an episode.

Shinmoneta is HILARIOUS. Been some years since I've watched it. 

Cat-Eyed Boy is a managa that sparked my interest when I spotted the first hardcover at my book store. The old-school art intrigued me so I picked it up. the whole series is collected in two volumes. I think this is the first I've ever heard of Kazuo Umezz, but it seems horror managa is his specialty. I'm not big into the genre of horror but I decided to take a chance on Cat-Eyed Boy. Another one of his works I picked up is My Name is Shingo, which is more sci-fi.