Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

Lol i remember back then the rivalry being between Joe and Dan kinda pissed me of 🤣

Joe is one of my fav (if not my absolute fav) SNK char and i was hoping in Joe vs Sagat to be a big show, to see Joe being considered Dan-level was a bit an insult lol

I'm not super familiar with SNK canon but while is true that Joe is born to be a clown and make shit funny next to more serious Terry and Andy, i think his skills/power are'nt supposed to be THAT much below theirs. I'm not even sure if Andy is canon confirmed to be better than him (Terry as the Hero is given)

May be wrong, but ever guessed something like

Terry>>Andy>Joe

While Dan being more like

Ryu>>Ken>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sakura>>Sean>Dan

😅

PS: to be fair even if much after that crossover, in SFV Dan apparently did good against Blanka, but i suspect all about Blanka being friendly lol

21 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Then you have this. Are we sure that Dan is low tier? He may be holding back like Gouki. Didn't Gouken or Goutetsu train Dan in order to get revenge against Sagat?

Yes, Dan is low tier

He may be less bad than some people think, but still he's one of the weakest playable characters

Btw Gouken kicked Dan out of the dojo exactly because he discovered that Dan wanted revenge, and that put him at risk of be consumed by SnH like Akuma

Edited by CESTUS III
On 11/26/2022 at 2:08 PM, mikros said:

I wish they had remembered that when they wrote the story mode of Street Fighter V :coffee:

I was gonna write the same thing when that little nugget came out a few days ago but stopped myself.  Jesus, the  SFV story was just a damn mess! And am curious and concerned how the SF6 story is going to turn out. Especially given what Rose's SFV story hinted at for SF6.  Doesn't sound like a recipe for anything coherent at all.....

Here's hoping they can pull it off.

Edited by Saturius
On 11/27/2022 at 5:38 AM, Jion_Wansu said:

Are we sure that Dan is low tier? He may be holding back like Gouki. Didn't Gouken or Goutetsu train Dan in order to get revenge against Sagat?

I think Dan is waaaay too arrogant to hold back. He's stronger than the average joe because of martial arts training and ki manipulation, but he's definitely lower than most of the cast. In SFV in game and from his own pov in arcade mode, he seems to be getting stronger. I think he could eventually find his true strength in being an unconventional and confusing fighter, but for now, he's gonna be everyone's favourite loser.

On 11/26/2022 at 2:08 PM, mikros said:

I wish they had remembered that when they wrote the story mode of Street Fighter V

Yeaaaah, crap in a hat did they do a disservice to her in that one. I don't expect anything major, but hopefully there's some light retconning in her story mode that has her do a bit more, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm thinking with all the focus on her this time around with the marketing and her new status as a master, she'll get her dignity back in full.

3 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

I think Dan is waaaay too arrogant to hold back. He's stronger than the average joe because of martial arts training and ki manipulation, but he's definitely lower than most of the cast. In SFV in game and from his own pov in arcade mode, he seems to be getting stronger. I think he could eventually find his true strength in being an unconventional and confusing fighter, but for now, he's gonna be everyone's favourite loser.

Dan as character is strange to describe

He's not even totally "stupid" as having low IQ, we know for example he can speak well multiple languages and is possible his plan to build a big dojo/franchise would even work if his skills were half as good as he thinks to be

But given his "product" only a child would believe him, wich is why only Blanka trusted him lol

He seems just the incredibly socially awkward guy, who's complete douche and have zero self-awareness (wich give him overconfidence/arrogance)... even kinda smart  people can be like that

On the fighter potential side it get's even more tricky

Dude have the mental limits we just said, but also he did'nt got proper training... twice.

We don't know to wich extent he learned from his father (before he was killed by Sagat), apparently not very much as Go Hibiki himself was a very good fighter and Dan not

And we know his training under Gouken likely did'nt lasted long before he got kicked out

Physically wise he seems very gifted (likely due dad's dna), as even training surely poorly (without master and being not smart/disciplined enough to self-taught) compared to many other fighters, he still manages to achieve some feats

His ki manipulation is even more surprising, considering even with his short training he still managed to learn how to throw a ki projectile, even if weak... and he even does it one hand, something that has been hinted to require extra-skill (see Gouken and Akuma, or Nash throwing one-hand but Guile not)

Even crazier is that Capcom showed that at random sometimes he manages to throw a very good special (Gadoken or Koryuken) comparable to the level of Ryu/Ken, implying if he had the right mindset and technique he HAVE the potential to be a fighter worth of SF

Yet he is'nt

Rather than "lower than most" would say he's by design straight the weakest

Only possible fighter i can think close to him in terms of weakness is SF3 Sean... after all we see him getting absolutely wrecked by a random generic fighter in a competition, he feel definitely still far from be "SF level" there

Yet i would consider even SF3 Sean superior to Dan

Guile face there crack me up, truly sell he's about to get hit by a train lol

I fucking LOVE how epressive characters (specially the victims lol) are during Lv3, feels like same super it's worth to watch multiple times for every single different character

So far the coolest at that is Jamie challenging your char to a contest of skill (or Luke's desperation version having opponent that try to react), hope we will see lot of that, is awesome

On 11/29/2022 at 6:36 AM, YagamiFire said:

@Saturius

Just wanted to say that that Storm avatar is amazing.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:56 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

Don't know how I missed it. I have to co-sign YagamiFire's comment. Awesome avatar. 

Thanks. Next to Street Fighter, X-men is my other obsession. Storm and Chun Li are some of my favorite fictional characters of all time. When I saw the Storm gif on the web, I knew she had to be mine.

Uhmm... this is 200% offtopic, but since this thread is where I post the most I figured I'd share with you.

Too Long Wont Read version: I love the Mythica series of Sword & Sorcery films, there's a Kickstarter for a sixth film going on and I just put my ass to work and did some pixel fanart for the occasion.

Spoiler

I just made a spritework of Thane, the fighter from the Mythica film series.

spacer.png

See, I love Sword & Sorcery movies; I love the barbarian themed ones from the 80's, the mythological ones from the 60's, the LOTR-ish ones from the 2000's, them all. The five Mythica movies, released between 2014 and 2016, easily jumped up there among the top in my list when I watched them a while ago. Simple and effective story and blatant RPG vibes, you start laughing at some of the low-budget special effects and before you can notice it the characters and mood can grow on you and get you hooked. The saga as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I was considering doing a group shot of the main party, but as I was procastri-OMG THERE IS A KICKSTARTER FOR A SIXTH MYTHICA MOVIE RIGHT NOW I MUST DO SOMETHING EVEN JUST ONE CHARACTER BUT I MUST DO IT NOW!!!!!1

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arrowstorm/mythica-stormbound

^ The kickstarter campaign in question

So, yeah, I started with Thane. He's the party's tank and although he's not the leader he's the voice of sense and unity in the group, at least when he's not drunk. A wholesome guy.

Bases/references were SNK Vs Capcom Balrog and Guile, as well as Takuma's select portrait from KoF 98.

Now if you like the genre and haven't watched the Mythica movies (A Quest for Heroes; The Darkspore; The Necromancer; The Iron Crown, The Godslayer) it's a good time to check them and decide if you want to back this sixth kickstarter up. I could talk much about these, but there's this particular review I found that I quite agree with, like 95% or so, so if you want to make yourself a quick idea of what the movies are about, check it and imagine it's me talking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DxRiaZPv24

When Gouken banished that loser there was no mention of the SNH. The only time Dan used the SNH was in the UDON comics. There's no "holding back" he really is weak and he'll always be a joke. Sean is weak because he's just started his journey and Ken's a bad teacher, so he has nowhere to go but up. SF6 Sean should be an average fighter depending on how much time has passed since 3rd Strike.

12 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

I'm not talking game wise. I'm talking story/lore wise.

I'm not talking game wise. I'm talking story/lore wise as well

In the story Dan is very likely the weakest of playable characters

Maaaybe a Poison that have to fight without any weapon would be weaker in a straight fight, but chance is Poison would outsmart him  and win somehow (probably by kicks to the balls lol), because Dan is designed to lose

Similar argument may be made for some other weapon users (Rolento could be another good guess) with similar result

He could have been better if Go never died and teached him his style

Or he could have been better if Gouken never kicked him out and keept teaching him Ansatsuken

But we can't know how much better he would have been and how he would have placed in SF foodchain, all we know for sure is current Dan who, story wise, suck compared to rest of the playable cast

12 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Is it possible that Dan did learn the SnH and is holding back?

No

Control SnH is something that likely require immense skill... Goutetsu could do it, but we have no reason to think Dan is some sort of hidden genius

But if we want take ingame hints, is showed in SFV that he can occasionally generate some, but is essentially by "luck"

Dan's RNG Gadoken is nice! | Street Fighter V CE - YouTube

It mean he have it in very minimal part and occasionally it comes out (and likely he don't even realize that ki is different)

But i don't remember any confirmation that red ki it's indeed SnH, even if is most reasonable explanation

11 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

When Gouken banished that loser there was no mention of the SNH. The only time Dan used the SNH was in the UDON comics.

I don't care about udon, but SFV ingame hint he can generate some (see pic above), wich is probably what Gouken wanted to avoid when he realized Dan was driven by revenge

In both his SF4 win quotes Gouken is well aware of Dan's anger

SF4 "Until you rid your heart of anger, your growth will remain forever stunted."

SSF4 "You will not improve as long as you allow anger to fester in your heart."

Wich is likely why he kicked him out of the dojo to begin with, he know pratice Anstatsuken with negative emotions brings trouble

Edited by CESTUS III
3 hours ago, Daemos said:

We don't need to see Sean ever again.

Laura is the superior Matsuda. 

No we don't ever need to see Dan ever again. He's a literal tired joke. A joke so old that most player were born when it first started nor do they were they around to get the context. A joke so old that Leonard Dicaprio would not date it because its too old. He's the worst, non What If Clone, character in the series. They need to ship Dan, Rufus, and the What If Clones by ship through the Bermuda Triangle never to bee seen again. 

36 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

No we don't ever need to see Dan ever again. He's a literal tired joke. A joke so old that most player were born when it first started nor do they were they around to get the context. A joke so old that Leonard Dicaprio would not date it because its too old. He's the worst, non What If Clone, character in the series. They need to ship Dan, Rufus, and the What If Clones by ship through the Bermuda Triangle never to bee seen again. 

We don't need to see Dan ever again either. :bison:

I'm fine with Ryu, Ken, and Akuma being the only mainline gi shotos.

Since we're talking about Shotos again I think after much analysis of the depictions of Shoryuken I think I've found out what separates a Metsu Shoryuken to a Shin Shoryuken.

In canon Ryu doesn't really master there Shin Shoryuken til SF3. In alpha he has a mixture variant of Metsu/Shin Shoryu that was determined by spacing. The animations were slightly different, but it wasn't enough from a 2-D sprite perspective to tell what separates the two and why one it potentially lethal vs the other.

Jump to SF5 where Kage has access to the move. We know Kage is supposed to be the spirit of Evil Ryu so his moves would represent a version of ansatsuken meant to kill. His CA Metsu Shoryuken features a new cadence to the Shoryuken that should have been obvious from the 2D depictions but not obvious from the name of the technique "Dragon Punch". 

To perform a Shoryuken one must not only attack with an uprising fist but also an uprising knee right under it. The opponent is hit with a fist and a knee simultaneously.

The Metsu Shoryuken connects the knee and elbow as illustrated by Kage's Metsu Shoryuken. The red background as well as the silhouettes show that this move is supposed to be gruesome. If you look closer you notice that Kage's fist is in full contact with the opponents jaw while the knee connects with the elbow which is point blank in the opponents stomach. The force of the knee is transferred into the elbow which the transfers the remaining force into the opponents jaw via the forearm and fist. 

In SF6 however Ryu has access to Shin Shoryuken, and even though it resembles Kages Metsu in a way there is a subtle difference.

Shin Shoryu connects first with a fist to the gut then jaw, once the knee flys up it connects with the opponents gut rather than  Ryus own elbow. Ryu's fist has already left his opponents jaw once the knee lands. The force of the knee alone propels Ryus opponent as his fist although he follows through with the rising fist motion.

Also it seems that Ryu using the SnH as a catalyst for  Denjin still holds up in SF6. Ryu's Denjin mode adds a slight purple tinge to his ki he wouldn't have had he used the Shinkuu versions of the Hado.

14 hours ago, Daemos said:

Laura is the superior Matsuda. 

Leonardo-di-caprio-cheers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

10 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Would like to see Dan to become some sort of NPC

I like SF characters to stay around, just to not steal one of these precious and limited slots lol

Same for Rufus

Edited by CESTUS III
12 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah I don't really understand what do adorable and funny of Dan his designed is very conflict, his isn't even designed as a handicap character like what he was intended. He was okay before but not as in modern games. Does Dan beating a Ryu online feels a like a handicap battle, it's not.

The better one is always Sean if they want a struggling shoto, his not even a blatant pretending to be a handicap shoto character because he is  designed to be it and we had tons of better joke characters that ain't trying to pretend as a handicap character.

Edited by Shakunetsu
6 hours ago, bakfromon said:

1- Shin Shoryu connects first with a fist to the gut then jaw, once the knee flys up it connects with the opponents gut rather than  Ryus own elbow. Ryu's fist has already left his opponents jaw once the knee lands. The force of the knee alone propels Ryus opponent as his fist although he follows through with the rising fist motion.

2- Also it seems that Ryu using the SnH as a catalyst for  Denjin still holds up in SF6. Ryu's Denjin mode adds a slight purple tinge to his ki he wouldn't have had he used the Shinkuu versions of the Hado.

1- It's true graphically it may be read as that, but i think it's not knee alone but hand and knee (and foot still on the ground) still work together for the upward push

We know Ryu have enough power to easily lift in the air an opponent with a single uppercut and that one (the second) in particular seems to apply much more power than usual (we even get close up of him pumping whole arm muscles), but the arm is still bent and good part of the push will not happen till he straight it, wich he does either slighty before the knee strike

I think it's punch->knee->ground foot push chain

2- good eye, did'nt noticed it 👍

Also Ryu's second uppercut have red (SnH) energy close to the knuckles in the normal version of Lv3

Street Fighter 6: Ryu Shin Shoryuken Level 3 (VS Luke) - YouTube

...even if just when he's charging the punch, when it actually strike the fist seems "clean"

Wonder even if the pumped up muscles while charging it and greater definition (striation and veins) it's supposed to be just 100% normal physical flexing or may hint bit of SnH play a part too, as we seen Kage (who's supposed to portray a Ryu that abandoned himself to SnH)  compared to normal Ryu have more pumped/veiny muscles

Interesting on other side also Ken seems to have some sort of muscle power up (seems more definition than extra mass, but due costume we see only forearm) during his CA, even if his seems related to his fire ki: skin of the forearm become more red and for a moment seems like the arm have a light from the inside

As if the fire is not just external to damage, but also internal to fuel

But may be an optic illusion given by fire around

Edited by CESTUS III
5 minutes ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Thoughts?

Why is Ken in the top 5? I can understand Akuma being there as when he came out he was quite unprecedented but Ken?

Anyway going back to Akuma, he shouldn't be in the top 3. He doesn't even come close to inspiring the cultural UPROAR that Bison has inspired in his time. Everybody loves Psycho Power now. They made movies about him. Songs about him. And the memes.... We even have a Bison emoji here! :bison:

Eventhubs are washed!

54 minutes ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Thoughts?

That i gave up when i seen list starting at #72 El Fuerte

Not sure i can stomach so many eventhubs opinions

52 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Why is Ken in the top 5? I can understand Akuma being there as when he came out he was quite unprecedented but Ken?

Well, even if not as relevant as Ryu who had bunch of different flavour wannabe Ryus protagonists, Ken still is the grandfather of FG blond cocky sidekicks to contrast with stoic hero

I mean, from more popular

Jacky Bryant (Virtua Fighter)TEKKEN] Paul Phoenix #SlawPro Minecraft Skin

to less famous, some characters are a product of Ken's balls 🤣

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

Anyway going back to Akuma, he shouldn't be in the top 3. He doesn't even come close to inspiring the cultural UPROAR that Bison has inspired in his time.

Phylosophical question should be if trash taste people (huge % of FG fans) deserve to get stuff too, if answer is "yes" then Akuma deserve podium for sure

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

Eventhubs are washed!

I lurk eventhubs because it's great for news, but anytime they give their opinion on shit

Cringe GIFs | Tenor

But i admit see in comment section@Phantom_Miriamurder fools left and right using his SRKer privilege is ever a little light in a world of darkness

Eventhubs is the Wall and PM is our Jon Snow

1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

That i gave up when i seen list starting at #72 El Fuerte

Not sure i can stomach so many eventhubs opinions

Can't watch this at work. Any such list needs to start with the What If Clones. I don't don't like Dan and hate Rufus but they are their own characters. Evil Ryu, Violent Ken, and Oni should be the bottom three. Non negotiable.

21 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Can't watch this at work. Any such list needs to start with the What If Clones. I don't don't like Dan and hate Rufus but they are their own characters. Evil Ryu, Violent Ken, and Oni should be the bottom three. Non negotiable.

They put El Fuerte, Sodom and F.A.N.G in bottom 3.

It's a pretty shit list with downright weird placements.

5 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Positive side of this is by the time you reach third character you have enough proofs to dismiss it as shitlist and switch to a Winifer Fernandez tribute

Spoiler

Out of curiosity i also watched who was 4th worst after Fang and i got Necalli, where they even admit actually was a pretty good character potential wise murdered at story/background level by Capcom being extremely unprofessional releasing an half-ass product

So essentially a good character that did'nt lived up the hype because shit written story in a game with shit written story got #69 position out 72

Vincent Vega GIFs | Tenor

Should have followed my own suggestion and stop at third lol

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Tbh while i embrace this mindset would push it further and say they just don't deserve to be at all in the list, because are'nt actual characters but cheap shit they came up with to fill a slot without have to actually create a char

Even if to be fair also Akuma is born as super cheap Ryu sprite recycle, and even if with some more effort, Dan too

Rufus while hated by huge % of fans (not me)  still was his own character with his unique design, fight style, moveset, gimmick and everything else

Guess did'nt helped that on top of hard to sell chara design, everything he said was on similar level to SFV Abigail babbling wich killed the comical effect of what was supposed to be a parody character

But still, would take Rufus over decent amount of characters lol

Edited by CESTUS III
9 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:
5 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Positive side of this is by the time you reach third character you have enough proofs to dismiss it as shitlist and switch to a Winifer Fernandez tribute

Reveal hidden contents

Out of curiosity i also watched who was 4th worst after Fang and i got Necalli, where they even admit actually was a pretty good character potential wise murdered at story/background level by Capcom being extremely unprofessional releasing an half-ass product

So essentially a good character that did'nt lived up the hype because shit written story in a game with shit written story got #69 position out 72

Vincent Vega GIFs | Tenor

Should have followed my own suggestion and stop at third lol

To add on this, I wanted to hear what was the argument on F.A.N.G

It was basically about him having potential early one but ending up always being weak. He remained low tier because Capcom was afraid of his poison mechanic getting out of hand.

I don't get it. Is this a design contest? A tier contest? A story contest? A perceived popularity contest? What the fuck am I looking at?

1 hour ago, Phantom_Miria said:

To add on this, I wanted to hear what was the argument on F.A.N.G

Idk

Design was good and fit SF world stereotypes gimmick and picked inspiration from multiple media, body type was pretty original helping cast variety, nice animations too

Had very intricated personality where he could look cruel, ridicolous, tough, silly, smart, subservient and still being himself

Moveset, playstyle, mechanic were very unique compared to rest of the cast

Archetype was something they wanted to create since SF3

Was one of the few well written characters and had tremendous impact on story, even won people that at first hated him for being "not cool" design, by playing well his part

Integrated perfectly in the iconic Shadaloo Kings dynamic as a newcomer

Was very rare case of SFer wich value was'nt "fighting ability" alone, making him a versatile support character that can lose some and still being credible

Even had interesting side story outside the game that generated a new character (AKI)

Placed #70 out 72

At higher place of the list you can see stuff like Decapre, Oni and even Evil Ryu while at it 🤣

1 hour ago, Phantom_Miria said:

It was basically about him having potential early one but ending up always being weak. He remained low tier because Capcom was afraid of his poison mechanic getting out of hand.

Fun thing is beloved characters are keept mediocre because Capcom is afraid of shit, so i doubt can be that

I mean, they've been scared of Zangief since SF2

Even Ryu himself in SFV was keept mediocre for years because they've been scared of Stronk Ryu  lol  (i would still be scrub)

All while some characters are allowed to be "good" because in their bias is cool to have them stronk

This shit is not character's problem, is just capcom fissue about balancing philosophy on general

2 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I don't get it. Is this a design contest? A tier contest? A story contest? A perceived popularity contest? What the fuck am I looking at?

They don't get it either, otherwise that list would have not been a thing 🤣

Tbh i scrolled though the bar preview to get quickly rough idea of the list and seems indeed some kind of popularity shit with some non expected ones here and there that little have to do with "Worst to Best" quality wise

If this was some youtube kid list we would not even bother, but we do because it's eventhubs lol

14 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Thoughts?

Overall, solid list.  I disagree with a few specific placements, but I can more-or-less understand most of these choices.

Lol at poor Blanka being, like, 20 slots lower than all the other SF2 characters.  

10 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Annoying that ERyu and Oni are on the list while Eagle, Maki, Juni and Juli weren't even ranked...

4 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

All-of-the-above?

Edited by DarthEnderX