Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Baldur's Gate 3---I could not resist it anymore; I got it now.  I took forever just creating my character since there's quite a few character races I'm interested in playing... ended up making a Drow as a sorcerer (primarily high in charisma and intelligence),,.. the "Dark Urge" route of course.  The file-size is huge, btw; it's about 124 GB.

The adventures of the mysterious sorcerer "Stefano" have begun... his path is destined to be one of darkness, sin and betrayal....

12 hours ago, RSG3 said:

VGM Friday

Tha was brilliant. I never really thought about it, but there are a lot of old swing band type vibes in those old SMB songs and they sound right at home being played by a band like this.

The SMB series was never one of my favorites (although I did play them quite a bit), but the music and how well it was arranged, particularly back in the old 8 Bit days never fails to amaze me. The fact that they were able to make these songs that sounded so full and colorful on a 3 channel chiptune engine is incredible.

9 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Tha was brilliant. I never really thought about it, but there are a lot of old swing band type vibes in those old SMB songs and they sound right at home being played by a band like this.

Yea almost all of Kondos music works wonderfully with a lot swing/jazz band arrangements because Konda is extremely influenced by swing, jazz, and big band music. 

9 hours ago, MillionX said:

Interesting; the numbers and stats on the popular choices in BG3:

For my first game after full release I made a half-elf drow rogue.  I think its neat that some folk in the game actually mention the characters heritage.  If it was like its suppose to be he'd be hated and run outta every town.  That'd make for a really shitty game.  But the way it is now still gives me that vibe that no one really likes the dude or trusts him but he can walk around like everyone else.

I found this owlbear cub and I wanna try to turn it into a pet.  Theres gotta be someway I can do that.  So much shit you can do in BG3, its almost overwhelming.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

BG3---ah, that makes sense now that I think of it more... so maybe my next character will be a non-Drow then if I want to make betrayal a truly satisfying thing.  It wouldn't be such a "dastardly surprise" when it's a character race that people in the lore already don't trust in the first place.  For me, the classic "heel-turn" is always the more interesting, satisfying thing in the art of villainy.  Heh, I got a lot of good fun out of that in Kingdoms of Amalur and basically any game where I could roleplay a character that was generally an evil bastard.

**edit---ooh, I should try making "Venger" from the old D&D cartoon in this...!

I went down the rabbit hole looking up some lore on the illithids/mindflayer creatures, because they're such  an amazingly cool design and concept (I've never been into the D&D lore in a deep/meaningful way since I never played the TTRPG)... unfortunately of course I ran across a BG3 spoiler in the process though. (*though it's something a person can probably guess is at least a possibility right away from how this story begins)  

...sheeeittt, imagine if somewhere out there in the universe...there's a species like that which actually exists.  That would be awesome and terrifying all at the same time.

Edited by MillionX

I've been super mentally burnt out lately with all my moving into my house. Its been a rewarding but very overwhelming experience. But to just unplug I've been playing a lot of my "feel good" games. So I played through Final Fantasy III, IV, V and IX on my Switch. I just beat IV the other night. Man, I love that game. I need to get back to Final Fantasy XVI but the game is just very boring to me. I'm having a hard time justifying hopping back into the game. I'll probably go back to Jedi Survivor or finish the Yuffie DLC on FF7R. 

Edited by iStu X

...the folks that bought the Bite Back edition of Redfall; I wonder how they are feeling about that decision these days?  It doesn't seem like anything else will happen for the game at this point even though there was supposed to be some extra characters at least planned for later.

It's such a shame; I was totally on board and hyped for this game *at first*..... then they just kept killing off my interest each time I found out new information (starting with the "online-only" thing, like so many other games now; they later stated consideration of a patch to make it offline surprisingly but I doubt that or anything else will happen at this point).... until I gave up all hope on it entirely....fortunately for me, I never spent a dime on this nonsense.

edit--I had to look it up out of curiosity... the Bite Back edition was $99, by the way 😆

Edited by MillionX
On 8/11/2023 at 2:08 PM, Sonichuman said:

TMNT Ronin game got revealed, Alone in the Dark and the new South Park game are in this.

vids

Hide contents

Like Ashrah's stage. Seems that Mortal Kombat 1 is getting dedicated stages for all characters like the Street Fighter series. In the past only a few character's got their own stages like The Living Forest and Reptile's Lair for Reptile, Goro's Lair, Kahn's Arena, etc.

On 8/12/2023 at 7:36 AM, Sonichuman said:

Extra

Hmmm, becoming more like a digital version of Dungeons & Dragons.

17 hours ago, iStu X said:

Well, it's not that bad. Remember World Warrior and Champion Edition, and early versions of World Warrior and Champion Edition? Let's not forget MVC2.

8 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Interesting...

Edit

That's interesting, I wasn't aware the consoles had Dolby Atmos implementation. I guess I assumed that they wouldn't need it given they have their own 3d positional audio engines, but I wonder what the reasoning for implementing Atmos was; maybe more channels available? Either way, imo games are one of the best use cases for Dolby Atmos as I don't think it really makes sense for most music.

Apparently some of the people in that thread have varying degrees of success with Atmos on Xbox. Some are claiming that with a good setup, you can get lagless audio.

5 hours ago, MillionX said:

...the folks that bought the Bite Back edition of Redfall; I wonder how they are feeling about that decision these days?  It doesn't seem like anything else will happen for the game at this point even though there was supposed to be some extra characters at least planned for later.

It's such a shame; I was totally on board and hyped for this game *at first*..... then they just kept killing off my interest each time I found out new information (starting with the "online-only" thing, like so many other games now; they later stated consideration of a patch to make it offline surprisingly but I doubt that or anything else will happen at this point).... until I gave up all hope on it entirely....fortunately for me, I never spent a dime on this nonsense.

edit--I had to look it up out of curiosity... the Bite Back edition was $99, by the way 😆

Jesus. People still buy into that "we'll upgrade it later" shit? I mean, it's one thing if it's a proven property. I got the one-step-below max premium edition of MK1 with the KP included, for example. But this shit where they promise you a bunch of events and content later is a red flag for a new game.

2 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Unless you're a tournament player, NRS games aren't worth getting at launch.

Just wait for the GOTY version in 1.5 years and save yourself wasted funds on the premium edition.

I get the rationale, but with NRS games you are typically looking at it becoming irrelevant after a couple of years. Plus, as someone with a low skill ceiling, it takes me a while to pickup fighting games and I'd really don't want to hop after everyone else has had 18 months of experience.