Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Rumors regarding Switch 2 have been popping up in my feed and they've been corroborated by Eurogamer and VGC.  Supposedly Nintendo showed demos of what the target hardware can do to devs behind closed doors at Gamescom.  Supposed to be using that DLSS upscale tech that most people figured was going to happen and they had it showing a better version of BotW as well as that Matrix Unreal 5 demo from a couple years back.  All rumors of course still but just more interesting that it's coming from at least 2 dif sources.

15 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I've got a bunch friends who play BG3 on PC, and another buddy who got it on PS5. They all rave about it so I'll probably end up picking it up. Especially with this confirmation of cross play coming.

https://www.eurogamer.net/pc-and-console-cross-play-is-on-the-roadmap-for-baldurs-gate-3

Chad, BG3 is damn good. The amount of shit can do in the game. The many different ways to handle an issue is great. Also, you can do some funny ass shit. This game is built for you man. 

Side note: It's my game of the year. It's pulled me away from SF6. I every time I go to boot up SF6, I say let me play BG3 for bit and end up playing for hours. I may finish the game at some point, if I can stop creating new characters and doing different things.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
25 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Chad, BG3 is damn good. The amount of shit can do in the game. The many different ways to handle an issue is great. Also, you can do some funny ass shit. This game is built for you man. 

Side note: It's my game of the year. It's pulled me away from SF6. I every time I go to boot up SF6, I say let me play BG3 for bit and end up playing for hours. I may finish the game at some point, if I can stop creating new characters and doing different things.

It's downloading now lol. I had a bunch of Amazon points so I loaded them onto a PSN digital card and got it for $0.63 😁

2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

It's downloading now lol. I had a bunch of Amazon points so I loaded them onto a PSN digital card and got it for $0.63 😁

You are going to get a kick out of the trolling you can do in the game. I usually save before I make troll choice and go back to do what I wanted but still the hilarity. I have a feeling you'll play a Dark Urge.....the things those characters do....whoo boy. I've played act 1 with 4 different characters, even without doing an "evil" run I've had things turn out so differently. BTW, If you want to know how recruit Karlach early let me know. I don't consider this a spoiler but just to be safe.

Spoiler

You can see her from the first settlement you reach but seems way too far away, but you can actually jump to her if you character has  a high enough strength state or with a spell or item that boosts your jump distance. 

I ended up doings in a way different order than before. There was an unfortunate down side I ran into, that can be avoided, I'm just not going back like 5 hours to fix it. I didn't realize a certain event was time sensitive so a NPC ended up getting a free flight to the afterlife 👀

BG3---the magical powers are cool too... I'm thinking now that I should also take on Warlock power in addition to being Sorcerer, after looking up something online showing how ridiculously powerful that can be...and I like the concept of what a warlock is in this game world anyway... anyway, I noticed there's a "gaseous form" ability, and I have the power to actually fly/levitate a certain distance after casting a spell.  There's quite a few interesting magical tricks you can have up your sleeve....things like putting people to sleep, encasing them in magical-darkness, and of course the tried and true "magic missile" that apparently always hits.  I'm still not doing as well as I should be... I wish I had a little more time to really dig into this game.... I'm still in the early parts where I'm dealing with the tieflings and some druids in the camp....on my way to see where the goblins are so I can betray everyone soon.  The last major evil act was the murder of a certain character at the camp while the rest of the crew were sleep....heh, that was great.

I try really hard to let shit play out in single player video games.  BG3 in particular has a lot of options that only open up when stuff goes wrong, for example.

Shit, in Starfield I just got caught hauling contraband (which you'd normally do everything to avoid) and the way it went down I ended up being recruited into a whole quest chain I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

49 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I try really hard to let shit play out in single player video games.  BG3 in particular has a lot of options that only open up when stuff goes wrong, for example.

Shit, in Starfield I just got caught hauling contraband (which you'd normally do everything to avoid) and the way it went down I ended up being recruited into a whole quest chain I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

My first play through is deffinitly a "Chips fall where they may" run, I feel to do otherwise betrays the concept of choice and consiquence in the first place, and yea sometimes long standing events are buried behind those good/bad decisions that yoy won't see because you save scummed your way through. Kinda spoils that first play through imo. But I also try pretty hard to role.play the character I've created for the setting. 

Starfield runs fine on my computer and I dont have the latest and greatest hardware.  I built the PC 3 or 4 years ago.  I bet the majority of people complaining are playing on a 10+ year old W7 machines expecting the game to run perfect on max settings. 

With that outta the way - the game isnt really all that great.  I didnt hear about the game till just a couple/few months ago and first thing I thought is that it looked like a space version of the fallout games.  That's exactly what it is.  Its fun.

6 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Starfield runs fine on my computer and I dont have the latest and greatest hardware.  I built the PC 3 or 4 years ago.  I bet the majority of people complaining are playing on a 10+ year old W7 machines expecting the game to run perfect on max settings. 

With that outta the way - the game isnt really all that great.  I didnt hear about the game till just a couple/few months ago and first thing I thought is that it looked like a space version of the fallout games.  That's exactly what it is.  Its fun.

No the game is unoptimized. It still on the archiac Creation Engine. It's supposedly been upgraded but CPU performance indicates otherwise. It does not make good use of multicore CPUs. It also runs poorer than it should on Nvidia GPUs and didn't run on Intel Arc at all initially. The only thing that seems remotely optimized are AMD GPUs. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

No the game is unoptimized.

Both things are true though.  Even if it's unoptimized, it still runs well enough on pretty mundane hardware, assuming it's from the last few generations of tech.

I know some people are having a different experience, but part of me wonders if they're either coming at it with their expectations too high for a launch-time Bethesda game, or having technical issues specific to their set-ups.

Edited by Reticently
11 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Both things are true though.  Even if it's unoptimized, it still runs well enough on pretty mundane hardware, assuming it's from the last few generations of tech.

I know some people are having a different experience, but part of me wonders if they're either coming at it with their expectations too high for a launch-time Bethesda game, or having technical issues specific to their set-ups.

I think we have just different views of optimized means. Anyone with an Nvidia GPU isn't getting performance indicative of their hardware. Nvidia cards are performing a tier below where they should be, so that's 75 to 80% of PC gamers off the top. Anyone with an AMD is not getting the performance their CPUs are capable of across the board. Even with Intel their CPU performance is more tied to clock speed than core count. While e-cores never really do anything in the gaming space, P-Cores are handled well in general up to 8 cores and 16 threads. It's not that 4 core/8 thread CPUs are performing well in Starfield, it's that 6-8 Core/12-16 thread CPUs are performing badly.  Personally I don't have any expectations Bethesda. I've said for years that they are an highly overrated developer that gets saved by their strong modding community. I remember downloading character model mods for Morrowind that not only looked significantly better than Bethesda's, but boosted the games performance in addition to being better character models, they were constructed of fewer polygons. This amateur hour shit has been happening for decades. Most people were oblivious to it until Fallout 76 happened which made it difficult for modders to cover up their nonsense...but I've drifted of on tangent.

TLDR; I have different view of what optimized means. I don't think a game that has Nvidia GPUs performing a tier below where they should be and AMD CPUs having a similar issue in comparison to their Intel counterparts is optimized. The latter is especially pathetic because it's AMD sponsored game. 

28 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

TLDR; I have different view of what optimized means. I don't think a game that has Nvidia GPUs performing a tier below where they should be and AMD CPUs having a similar issue in comparison to their Intel counterparts is optimized. The latter is especially pathetic because it's AMD sponsored game. 

I'm not saying it IS well optimized,  I just think it's misplaced to worry too much about performance in a Bethesda game beyond the "does it run in an enjoyable state".   They're not, historically, a company that gives big returns on experience by squeezing the most out of your hardware.  I'd probably feel differently if this were Cyberpunk 2077 where it's like a whole new game if you have a solid set-up firing on all cylinders.

For the record, I have a Ryzen 5 3600x and an RTX 3060Ti, and I still feel like my gaming experience is as good or better than what I'd be getting with any console, even if different hardware would be more cost-effective for this specific game.

Leaker who has correctly put up stuff about Directs before and putting up hints of what to expect.  One is fairly straight forward while the other is not.  I'll put both tweets in spoilers just in case they become true.

Spoiler

People are saying this tweet is related to F-Zero^  I'm not sure on what MATLAB function is though.

Edit:  I looked up what Matlab was....I get it now.

Edited by Sonichuman

Super Late VGM Friday post

^This contains spoilers regarding a secret boss in this game apparently but it's also the only single upload of this track currently.  Just giving fair warning if you haven't played Octopath II and you'd rather find out/experience this on your own.

Hoping this track gives good vibes towards those recent rumors^

1 hour ago, Jion_Wansu said:

I've heard that BG3 is basically D&D tabletop on the screen?

It's a very good game, particularly with how thoroughly developed the first act is, but no.

BG3 accommodates a shit ton of creative ways to problem solve- for a video game.  But your options are still finite.

And there are some liberties taken with D&D's rules, for better or worse, that make it not exactly the same game system anyway.  Strictly speaking, I think BG2 was closer to AD&D 2e than BG3 is to D&D 5e.