Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

15 hours ago, Chadouken said:

How do you get people to join your party in Baldur's Gate? Right now I just have the green bitch, but I had to let her out of the cage. After I accidentally killed Shadowheart I ran into this vampire looking fuck who tried to cut my throat. So I killed him. Then there was this idiot stuck in a rock, but I left his worthless ass there. I thought you could get more party members, but I just keep running into enemies.

There's a few potential companions you can still get resolving the Goblin Camp/Druid Circle conflict.

And assuming you somehow manage to kill them off instead of recruiting them, Whithers can sell you the services of some hirelings who'll join your party but don't have any plotline if you talk to him in your camp.  Don't worry- I haven't yet seen anyone who's found a way to completely destroy Whithers.

Then there are a couple of more storyline characters you can recruit in Act 3, but that's a long way off.

Edited by Reticently
10 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

2 things... 1. Did Kronika just give Shang Onaga's Army?  I'm pretty sure that was Onaga's army in that trailer.  2. Was that a command throw 5 point palm exploding heart technique and does that belong to Liu or Shang?  Can't tell since Shang did it while he was transformed into Liu.

I'd really like to answer your questions but....

dave-chappelle-plead.gif

That's such an odd thing that so many IPs keep "resetting" and using old titles like that... e.g.---let's say I invent a game series called "Awesome" and it's a hit, so then:

Awesome 2.  Awesome 3.  Awesome, part IV. etc....maybe take a break for a while then some years later we get the 5th one and the title---->Awesome.  Or... "Awesome #1"  c'mon, bruh... and if it's the exact same title then everyone always has to mark the year so we know which one ---"...oh, you mean Awesome the original, from 2023...I was talking about the new reboot---Awesome (2028)"

I'm sure if Blood Omen ever gets a chance again it will probably just be called "Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain" again....

or a new Phantasy Star will just be called "Phantasy Star" or "Phantasy Star 1".

...of course they'll release on the future Xbox which will simply be called-----XBOX.

Edited by MillionX

Slave Zero X launches February 21, 2024

2.5D side-scrolling character action game dated.

Slave-Zero-X_09-12-23-768x432.jpg

MASTER A BRAWLER WITH THE DEPTH OF A FIGHTING GAME

Here is an overview of the game, via Ziggurat Interactive:

About

From the top of Megacity S1-9, the Sovereign Khan rules with fists of iron and flesh. Beneath the city’s rotting foundations, a vengeful warrior embarks on a journey to murder him. Four years prior to the events of Slave Zero, Slave Zero X brings new life to a world where horrific, living machines known as Slaves are primed to become the latest tools of war in humanity’s long and bloody history. A secret band of warriors known as The Guardians hope to stop these biomecha from being unleashed upon the world, but one swordsman among their ranks has a different idea: use the enemy’s own weapon against them. By merging with a stolen Slave Unit Prototype, Shou will become a furious Devil in pursuit of killing a false God.

Key Features

• Killer Combos – Use swift swordplay, explosive ordnance, and stylish combos against an army of meat and metal.
  • Death from Above – Air juggling, dashes, and frequent target switching allow for you to take down foes of any size while wall-jumping and platforming can help you outmaneuver your enemies.
  • Fight for Your Life – Conquer mini-bosses, set pieces, and climactic 1-on-1 encounters that offer intense challenges against unforgettable villains.
  • Strength is Nothing Without Control – Use the Training Room to hone precise and powerful moves to string together devastating attack sequences.
  • Battle to the Beat – A 90s-inspired soundtrack features heavy drum ‘n’ bass and funky industrial music that adds to the thrill of combat.
  • Feast Your Eyes – A unique visual aesthetic combines nostalgic 2D sprites with an advanced lighting system and stylized 3D environments.

Edited by AriesWarlock
2 hours ago, MillionX said:

That's such an odd thing that so many IPs keep "resetting" and using old titles like that... e.g.---let's say I invent a game series called "Awesome" and it's a hit, so then:

Awesome 2.  Awesome 3.  Awesome, part IV. etc....maybe take a break for a while then some years later we get the 5th one and the title---->Awesome.  Or... "Awesome #1"  c'mon, bruh... and if it's the exact same title then everyone always has to mark the year so we know which one ---"...oh, you mean Awesome the original, from 2023...I was talking about the new reboot---Awesome (2028)"

I'm sure if Blood Omen ever gets a chance again it will probably just be called "Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain" again....

or a new Phantasy Star will just be called "Phantasy Star" or "Phantasy Star 1".

...of course they'll release on the future Xbox which will simply be called-----XBOX.

Honestly, I blame comic books for this shit. It used to annoy as kid when I'd get excited by getting "#1" issue of comic only to find out it's like 15th #1 issue because they keep resetting to #1. It wasn't even reboot most times. It was just a "our sales are down. let's make the next run start with #1 to sucker some kids...I mean establish a new story arc."

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I was texting Nintendo customer service for about an hour last night. I had to format my microSD card, so I have a TON of games I gotta re-download. BUT. I can finally play Splatoon 3 online and the game doesn't crash. I got the occasional "The connection is unstable" due to Nintendo's awful online, but the game never crashed and I got to play the most online matches I've ever played in MONTHS. 

So Unity, which is a pretty widely used game engine, is going to start charging game developers after a certain thresh-hold of installs. Not Unity installs, but the games made with Unity and it's per install. So if someone bought a Unity game on steam and installed it to their desktop and steam deck, the dev would be charged twice. It's also likely that pirated copies would also count towards this. I see this either being backtracked or the company/engine just going away because that sounds insane.

Edited by Abbachio
2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

So Switch 2 can run BotW at 4K/60, and it can run Matrix UE5? That's crazy.

BoTW tech demo was built to show off the loading time or lack there off. System is rumored to have 512GB of internal storage. Given how dirt cheap SSDs are these days, that sounds entirely feasible. You can get one at retail for $25. At bulk cost those things would under $10 easy.

Looking at the latest rumors, I don't see how people are getting surprised by what's been said honestly. DLSS is far superior upscaling technology to FSR. The Matrix tech demo can have lower native resolution and be upscaled to higher one with less of a hit to image quality. I mean look at what the Steam Deck is capable of. It doesn't have DLSS nor titles specifically coded for it. Moreover it's running games via emulation layer.

Even if the Switch 2 had Steam Deck level specs the games running on it would look and perform far better. The games would specifically coded for the hardware. The games wouldn't take a performance hit from running Windows on Linux via an emulation layer. Ray Tracing has a significantly lower performance hit on Nvidia hardware in comparison to AMD. I figure performance will be somewhere between a Steam Deck and Xbox Series S with superior image quality. Is that PS5 and Series X level? No. Is damn good for a hybrid device? Yes.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

oh yeah I've been looking forward to Slave Zero X ever since first hearing of it and seeing footage.  (*I wonder how many out there will think of the game as "so problematic" just because the title has the word "Slave" in it....)

About the silly re-usage of names---imagine if Nintendo were to do the same... and some day a future console will be the NES again... to be followed up by the next version of it being the Super NES.  By that time we might be on the next Xbox being called "The Xbox", while if Sony ever does a reset they'll be on "The PlayStation" or "The PlayStation 2".  So far it sounds like for Switch's followup they might actually be just going with the # like "Switch 2" though.

...same world where people, at least in the U.S. come up with such wonderfully creative names for generations like "Generation Y" following X...then saying the next one after Y is "Gen Z"....and then Gen Alpha. (*oh I wonder what the next one would be?  Surely not just "Generation Beta"?  Nah that would be silly to jump to such insulting conclusions. 🤣)

Apple unveiled its latest version of the iPhone — iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max — on Tuesday, and with it came some major news for gamers.

According to the company, the new iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max will allow players to play full console versions of recent and upcoming games right on the device. The phone will natively support Resident Evil 4 Remake, Resident Evil Village, Death Stranding, and the upcoming Assassin’s Creed Mirage. In addition, the phone will support raytracing.

As far as timing is concerned, the two Resident Evil titles and Death Stranding will be available for the iPhone 15 Pro later this year. Assassin’s Creed Mirage will launch in the first half of 2024.

“Bringing pro performance and capabilities, iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are powered by A17 Pro, the industry’s first 3-nanometer chip,” Apple says.

“The new CPU is up to 10 percent faster with microarchitectural and design improvements, and the Neural Engine is now up to 2x faster, powering features like autocorrect and Personal Voice in iOS 17. The pro-class GPU is up to 20 percent faster and unlocks entirely new experiences, featuring a new 6-core design that increases peak performance and energy efficiency. Now with hardware-accelerated ray tracing — which is 4x faster than software-based ray tracing — iPhone 15 Pro offers smoother graphics, as well as more immersive AR applications and gaming experiences.” iPhone 15 Pro brings true-to-life gaming to the palm of users’ hands with console titles never before seen on a smartphone, like Resident Evil Village, Resident Evil 4, Death Stranding, and Assassin’s Creed Mirage.”

The Apple iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max launch on September 22. Preorders begin September 15 with the iPhone 15 Pro starting at $999 and the Pro Max starting at $1,199.

42 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

So the Unity thing is somehow even worse.

Also if you delete and then reinstall the game it counts as another install on the runtime fee.

What an absolute dogshit company.

yyyeah...good luck with that Unity.

Edit:  aaand here's what I assume will be the first of many announcements like this

Edit:

Edited by Sonichuman
8 hours ago, Lantis said:

I will agree that it's a pretty dumb way to name a sequel of certain franchises by defaulting back to the name of the first game (no numbers, no secondary titles, anything) and it's up to the fanbase to "rename it" to avoid confusion. Mortal Kombat, Samurai Shodown, God of War, Tomb Raider....pretty sure there are much more I'm forgetting

Doom, Castlevania (Technically the N64 game is just Castlevania), Ninja Gaiden, Need For Speed, Shadow Warrior, 

Side-scrolling robot action game The Scramble Vice announced for PC

Due out in 2024.

The-Scramble-Vice_2023_09-11-23_011-768x

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

About

In the year 2048, with the advancement of technology comes a spike in criminal acts using robots. The biggest perpetrators of crime are terrorists that are turning increasingly destructive by the day. Safety levels within the capital are at an all-time low.

Tasked to handle the situation is the notorious 9th Mobile Unit of the Tokyo Police Department, also known as “The Scramble Vice.”

Clad in an armed exoskeleton suit, police officer Sakuragi Kei of the 9th unit stands to fight robot crimes within Neo Tokyo!

Her suit “ASURA” can equip various firearms and melee weapons. It is also installed with a “Homing Missile” function that follows targets wherever they go, and a “Roller Boost” function that can dodge even the heaviest rain of enemy projectiles.

Are you ready to scramble up Tokyo?

Key Features

• Dare we say it? Detailed pixel art and dynamic visual effects that make destruction aesthetically pleasing!
  • Exhilarating robot action! Destroy enemies using firearms, melee weapons and homing missiles!
  • Not everything has to be done piloting a robot; infiltrate enemy headquarters on foot!
  • Apart from her exoskeleton suit, Kei can ride motorbikes and cars as well!
  • With help from your friends, uncover the truth behind the anonymous terrorist group.
  • Control a battle robot to defeat enemies and clear the stage by defeating the target boss!
  • More than 10 types of weapons can be used in all 12 stages!
  • Pilots can get off the robot and go undercover on missions by themselves!
  • More than 10 types of vehicles can be piloted!

Spoiler

Newly announced features

PS Remote Play support on additional Android devices

• PS Remote Play allows you to stream games from your PS5 or PS4 console to another device – including smartphones and tablets (iOS and Android), PCs and Mac – over the internet or through your home network. This provides you with more options to enjoy your favorite games even when you’re away from the living room.*
  • Starting today, the PS Remote Play app will be available on devices running Android TV OS 12.**
  • Here are the verified devices so far:
    • Chromecast with Google TV (4K model)
    • BRAVIA XR A95L model
  • To use Remote Play on these devices, search for the PS Remote Play app on your Android device to download and install the app. 
  • To learn more about PS Remote Play, visit PlayStation.com.

New Voice Command options (U.S. and U.K. limited release)

• Voice Command has been improved.
    • Say “Hey PlayStation, help” to activate Help content. You can now navigate between help content pages using Voice Command.
    • Say “Hey PlayStation, what’s new?” and you can now check for new PS5 features and see the current PlayStation Plus monthly games lineup.
  • Note: Voice Command (Preview) is currently available in English for PS5 players with accounts registered to the U.S. and U.K.

New PS App enhancements

Later this month, we’ll also gradually roll out some new features for PS App globally, on iOS and Android. Just like the PS5 console updates, you’ll be able to react to messages with emojis and see a preview of someone’s Share Screen before joining the party on PS App.

Image of PlayStation App showing Share Screen Preview

PS5 Beta features rolling out globally today

Previously announced features that were part of the beta will also be included in the global release.

New accessibility features

• Use a Second Controller for Assistance. You can now assign a second controller to one account as an assist controller, and use two controllers to operate your PS5 console as if you were using a single controller. This feature introduces a new way for you to enjoy games collaboratively with others or help a friend or child navigate a particularly challenging section of a game. 
    • To use an assist controller, go to [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Controllers] > [Use Second Controller for Assistance], and then turn on [Use Assist Controller].
    • You can use an assist controller when your main controller is a DualSense or DualSense Edge wireless controller, or a PS5-supported third-party controller.***
PS5 UI screenshot showing accessibility options

• System UI Haptic Feedback. You now have the option to turn on haptic feedback effects while navigating your PS5 with your DualSense controller, DualSense Edge controller, or PS VR2 Sense controller.
    • When enabled, system sound effects for certain events will also be reflected physically through haptics, such as moving focus, reaching the end limit of a scrollable section, checking a box, or when you receive a notification or start up a game. This optional feature enhances immersion and is particularly useful for players with some level of sight or hearing disability, who appreciate the additional feedback on their inputs.
    • To turn on this feature, go to [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Controllers], and then turn on [Haptic Feedback During Console Navigation].

Support for compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled audio devices

• 3D Audio powered by Tempest 3D AudioTech can now be enjoyed by those who own compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled HDMI devices such as soundbars, TVs or home theater systems. Tempest 3D AudioTech specifically renders to the Dolby Atmos audio device in use – including overhead channels – allowing for even greater levels of immersion in the audioscapes of PS5 games. ****
    • To turn on Dolby Atmos, go to [Settings] > [Sound] > [Audio Output] > [Audio Format (Priority)], and then select [Dolby Atmos].
PS5 UI screenshot showing audio output options

Social feature enhancements

• Party UI update. You can now invite a player into a closed party without automatically adding the player into the group or creating a new group. Additionally, players can now send open or closed party invitations to groups instead of only individual players.
PS5 UI screenshot showing an invitation to a party

• Share Screen Preview. When someone’s sharing their screen in a party that you can join, you’ll now see a preview image of their Share Screen, even before you enter the party.
PS5 UI screenshot showing a preview of Share Screen

• Join friends’ game sessions easily. You can now easily see which of your friends are in an activity you can join under the [Friends] tab.
    • The Joinable icon will be displayed next to friends who are playing a game you can join.
    • You can join a friend’s game directly by pressing the options button and selecting [Join Game], or by selecting the ”Join” button on their profile card.
  • Game Hub tournaments tile. In the game hub, you can now see how many tournaments you’ve entered and the highest place you’ve achieved, as well as the start time for the next tournament. You can select the tile to see the full tournament list.
PS5 UI screenshot showing the tournaments tile on MLB The Show 23 Game Hub
  • React to messages with emojis. You can now add reactions to messages with emojis, which makes communicating with friends quicker and easier.
PS5 UI screenshot of the message screen with emoji reaction options

Ease-of-use features

• Search for games in your library. You can now search for games within your game library.
PS5 UI screenshot showing search results for “Astro” in game library
  • Game Help improvements. Game Help cards have been improved.*****
    • In addition to in-progress activities, you can now see available, previously available, upcoming, and completed activities.
    • When a card is selected, its details are now displayed on the right side of the card, making it easier to find objectives and their corresponding hints.
PS5 UI screenshot of Game Help card showing additional details of the activity

• Discover new features. Browse useful tips for getting the most out of your PS5 and learn about new features in the new Discover Tips section.
    • Go to [Settings] > [Guide & Tips, Health & Safety, and Other Information] > [Guide and Tips], and then select [Discover Tips] to view all the tips.
PS5 UI screenshot of Discover Tips section in the settings menu

• Mute PS5 beep sound. You can now mute or adjust the volume of the PS5’s beep sound when turning it on or off, or putting it in rest mode.
    • Go to [Settings] > [System] > [Beep Sound].
    • To adjust the beep sound volume, select [Volume].
    • To mute the beep sound, turn on [Mute Beep Sound].

Support for larger-capacity M.2 SSDs

• You can now use an M.2 SSD with a maximum capacity of 8TB (up from the previous 4TB limit) to expand storage space on your PS5 console.
    • Important: M.2 SSDs must meet the requirements outlined on this page. Please read the page linked above carefully before purchasing any M.2 SSDs for use with your PS5.

We

Edited by AriesWarlock
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

*checks how many gigs DSDC is*  that's an 80 gig game.  Uhhhhh...do these phones actually have the space for these games or companies going to actually bother to reoptimize their code for the phone platform and even so...how much of this is just raw uncompressed data?  I got a lot of questions about this.

I can't imagine downloading something g that big over a phone network...

A day late from the rumors but still coming this week.  Let's see if anything rings true tomorrow.

We might get a smaller trailer on Wonder since it had a whole ass direct for it last week but I really want to see more the SMRPG remake.  If we get an update on MP4 then great....not expecting it though.   SMRPG remake is really the only thing I want/expect to see right now so if I at least get that then I'm happy and everything else is just icing.

Edit:

Edit 2:

man if this is true...this decision by Unity makes soooo much fucking sense

Edited by Sonichuman

WhatsApp_Image_2023-09-13_at_09.52.28.jp

PlayStation Plus Game Catalog Extra & Premium For September 2023:

• NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139…

• 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim

• Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

• Star Ocean The Divine Force

• Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2

• Odin Sphere Leifthrasir