Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

August 2023 Circana Numbers

Highlights; Armored Core came out swinging!  It couldn't take top spot but it did manage to take 2nd for the month.  FFXVI took a 12 spot drop while Dad of War Ragnarok saw a resurgence.  Gran Turismo also seems to be enjoying a resurgence as well which I can only guess is due because of the movie.

Hardware: PS5 was top selling hardware platform for both unit and dollar sales.  Xbox Series was actually ranked 2nd for both unit and dollar sales.  If I'm not mistaken, this is the first month that the Switch has been 3rd in both unit and dollars sales for the month since it's release 6 years ago.

August Top 20 Selling:  Dat Madden 24, Armored Core VI, Remnant II, CoD: MW2 2022, Hogwarts Legacy, LoZ:TotK, Diablo IV, MLB The Show 23, Minecraft, MK8D, Pikmin 4, SW:JS, SF6, Elden Ring, FIFA 23, Dad of War Ragnarok, FFXVI, Gran Turismo 7, Miles Morales, Rainbow Six: Siege

YTD 2023 Top 20 Best Selling Games:  Hogwarts Legacy, LoZ: TotK, Diablo IV, CoD MW2 2022, SW:JS, Dat Madden 24, MLB The Show 23, Dead Island 2, FF XVI, SF6, FIFA 23, Remnant II, Dead Space 2023, Elden Ring, Dat Madden 23, MK8D, Minecraft, LoU: Part 1, Armored Core VI

Edited by Sonichuman

Ok, this is probably another first for me when it comes to games or any form of entertainment... normally I don't purposely check out a spoiler unless it's something I already don't give a shit about... but I went ahead and looked at a video about a certain possible situation in Baldur's Gate...the curiosity about this was too much; I felt compelled to actually see the full confirmation on it and there it was.  Part of my rationalization was that a week or so ago I accidentally already saw a thumbnail pic on a video (while looking up lore videos on another D&D thing) that spoiled the fact that it is a possibility.... I convinced myself "eh, may as well see it now..."; and yet I am still conflicted now about looking it up.

Anyway, my adventures shall continue with my warlock and sorcerer characters.

*Also---Diablo 3's new season just started yesterday so naturally I've made 2 characters and started that; this week's Challenge Rift was super easy so that was a good start as usual (the reward for a Challenge rift is always a couple million gold and a lot of materials, so it's always the best possible start for a freshly made seasonal character.)

Edited by MillionX

I finally got a chance to do 2 actual races in F Zero 99 and its pretty fucking great!  The chaos of having 99 racers going through the maps on top of people constantly exploding around you cause they have no regard for meter management makes things pretty hectic.  I haven't gotten first yet but I did get 13th which I feel really fucking good about.  Getting first looks like its going to take a combination of luck and being able to run your lines near perfectly which is nigh impossible it feels with the amount of people on the track.   I would LOVE if they took this concept and applied it to atleast F-Zero X for Switch 2.

11 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I finally got a chance to do 2 actual races in F Zero 99 and its pretty fucking great!  The chaos of having 99 racers going through the maps on top of people constantly exploding around you cause they have no regard for meter management makes things pretty hectic.  I haven't gotten first yet but I did get 13th which I feel really fucking good about.  Getting first looks like its going to take a combination of luck and being able to run your lines near perfectly which is nigh impossible it feels with the amount of people on the track.   I would LOVE if they took this concept and applied it to atleast F-Zero X for Switch 2.

Fun development note about FZ99

IMG_9131.thumb.jpeg.cdde5e4353a87f879b9cf07a5a952e2c.jpeg

Videos Liam made about Project HAMMER

Edited by iStu X

I played a bit of MK1.  Its pretty cool so far.  I've just played a bit of the story mode.  Its...surprising to me.  I never really kept up with the games or anything so best I really know about the whole MK stuffs is the first movie and maybe the first two games. 

I'm enjoying BlazBlue Entropy Effect.  I only played the first game and my favorite character was Litchi.  I'm sad she's not in the game.  Its still real fun though.  If you like rogue style beat'em up games you might like this one. 

spacer.png

cE8o6sC.jpg

I played some Gunbrella the last couple days here and there.  Its pretty fun.  Couple things I think need fixing and/or changing but nothing that makes me not want to play.  The combat and platforming is fun. 

vOmJSWy.png

I also played an hour or so of the Star Ocean 2 remake the other day.  It was...Star Ocean 2 just beefed up with changes here and there.  Its a timed demo (3 hours) as well as only being able to get so far.  Can only get to the second town.  SO2 is one of my all time favorites so I'll get it when it comes out for sure.

Some turkeys on Discord talked me into getting Titanfall 2.  It's only 3 bucks right now and I guess the online stuffs are working right.  I dunno.  I played the first one and thought it was ok but didn't care enough about it to check out part 2.  I think the first one was all online with no single player...or maybe it had like training with bots.  No real campaign though.  Part 2 has a campaign.  I'll check it out soon here, play a bit of the campaign then play a bit of the multiplayer. 

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

Got my Mortal Kombat 1 story mode playthrough videos, after spending damn near most of the day trying to
tweak the compression setting to not crop the footage.

Story and gameplay are really good but the PC version has some issues,
though not as bad as the Switch version!

Playthrough videos...had to slap on age-restriction for part 2 due to that scene.

Spoiler

Edited by CDB2k20
26 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

If you do manage to get into 1st, 2nd or 3rd in  F-ZERO 99, don't expect hanging onto those positions to be a cakewalk. Not only is everyone behind you gunning for your spot, but the game spawns explosive CPU racers in front of you to hinder your progress. Sparks to access the Skyway are also very few and far between.

You literally have to be PERFECT once you get up there cause once you lose it, the chance of you getting it back is slim to none.  The benefits of being that high up though is that you don't have to worry about the riff raff in the back who are killing each other with no regard for their surroundings.  People in the front of the pack have the privilege of being able to mostly run their lines without 5 people slamming into you in the middle of you trying to make a turn.

4 hours ago, Chadouken said:

That shit sounds like chaos 😂

You aren't wrong. A typical F-ZERO 99 race looks something like this.

explode nuclear explosion GIF by Faith Holland

Players are constantly trying to take each other out. Aggressive play is not only encouraged, it is rewarded. You get extra points for taking out your rivals. Scoring KOs can also get your a larger boost meter. 

Edited by RegH81

I got Warhammer Boltgun finally before the sale went off (ends tomorrow; it's 16 or 17 dollars and change right now on Steam)...  oh yeah this is yet another dose of the kind of action Warhammer needed in terms of video games for a long time; it's pure action in your face all the time.  Nice touch that the top difficulty is called "EXTERMINATUS"....I started off on the Hard difficulty and have been making it through surprisingly ok so far.. up to the 4th or 5th area.  

...annnd I just got the shotgun...holy shit this is one of the greatest shotguns in recent gaming history. 

A reminder of how awesome it is:

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

Even less rage inducing than Mario Kart?

It's a different kind of chaos than what MK8D brings.  You don't have any weapons to fire at people aside from your own car.  If you happen to get in front then you still have the masses behind you killing each other to get up to where you are but you don't have the threat of a blue shell or barely anything to knock you back down into the riff raff other than you own skill.  The thing is your lead in this game is only ever SMALL.  There is always someone right behind you...ALWAYS.  There will be times that a minor slip won't fully set you back but if you fuck up you may as well kiss that spot goodbye.

From all the reports, Nintendo has been sitting on upgraded hardware for the Switch for a while now. Initially planned as just a mid gen upgrade, but later folded into the next gen since they were/are still selling like crazy and didn't want to deal with potential shortages like Sony and MS.

I still can't see it being anymore powerful then a current SteamDeck. Although for the software they are aiming at, that is probably enough. Since if there is a PC version, they will likely need to make SteamDeck compatible.

Edited by Wellman
2 hours ago, Wellman said:

From all the reports, Nintendo has been sitting on upgraded hardware for the Switch for a while now. Initially planned as just a mid gen upgrade, but later folded into the next gen since they were/are still selling like crazy and didn't want to deal with potential shortages like Sony and MS.

I still can't see it being anymore powerful then a current SteamDeck. Although for the software they are aiming at, that is probably enough. Since if there is a PC version, they will likely need to make SteamDeck compatible.

The mid gen upgrade is different from the "Switch 2". I hate use this term but the "Switch Pro" got cancelled to due to COVID and the subsequent chip shortage. The Switch OLED was originally going to be the mid gen refresh. When chips became hard to come buy, Nintendo just stocked up on the current chips and canned the upgraded spec. The Switch 2 is  something else entirely. Also being "more powerful than a Steam Deck" isn't much of a feat. The CPU tech in the Steam tech dates back to 2019 and the GPU tech to 2020. What makes the Steam Deck so impressive is Valves work on the OS side. It's why things like the ROG Ally which stomps the Steam Deck on paper (4.3TF to 1.6TF) , yet barely outperform it in reality. By the time the Switch 2 launches the Steam Deck will have 5 year old CPU tech and 4 year old GPU tech. The Switch 2 is likely going to be somewhere between the Steam Deck and Series S in power . The Tegra T239 specs put it at about 4TF but Nintendo will do Nintendo things and it will probably end up around 2.5 to 3TF. It will use DLSS to make it look more capable than it actually is.

Side Note: Teraflops are not real accurate indicator of ability, I just used them for simplicities sake. 

Edit: ROG Ally "like for Like" has 4.3TF to the Steam Decks 1.6TF

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Anyone on PC Game Pass that installs or is gonna install Lies of P - can you let me know how much free space was/is required for the install?  I install the game and I'm sure it said I needed 130gb to install the game but the game is only 35gb.  I'm wondering if I saw it wrong.  I installed it but I moved shit to make room and I'm like...I didnt need to move anything. 

40 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Anyone on PC Game Pass that installs or is gonna install Lies of P - can you let me know how much free space was/is required for the install?  I install the game and I'm sure it said I needed 130gb to install the game but the game is only 35gb.  I'm wondering if I saw it wrong.  I installed it but I moved shit to make room and I'm like...I didnt need to move anything. 

I checked, it's 35.77gb. 

29 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

I checked, it's 35.77gb. 

Oh man, thanks for lookin'.  I just realized what happened.  I was lookin' at the wrong number.  I was lookin at my C drives free space...for some reason I thought that was the install size but that's up at the top of the tab.  I freakin' uninstalled it and installed it again to see.  Im a dork.  🤣