Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I saw the link when it came across my feed too.  Twitter has been the wild wild west with this shit.  There's been 2 twitter handles constantly showing up in my feed just dropping whole ass movies on twitter at random and Twitter just seems to do jack shit about it at times lol.

Edit:

oh and this showed up in my feed to

Edited by Sonichuman
On 5/1/2023 at 1:52 AM, Hawkingbird said:

Actually a lot of studios are against mods. They'll have an axe to grind even if the mod acts as a patch. Historically Take-two and Blizzard view modding as criminal acts that infringe on their IP. The biggest modding communities tend to come from game where the developers embrace them. It's why Bethesda games has mods rolling out on day one. Same for Valve, EA (when it comes to C&C), and CD Project. 

Has this always been the case though? Warcraft 3 had a big modding scene and Blizzard seemed to encourage it, because it was a great way to keep people playing. Maybe when Activision bought them that stopped, but I remember there being some absolutely fantastic mods for that game back in the day.

23 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Has this always been the case though? Warcraft 3 had a big modding scene and Blizzard seemed to encourage it

Well it's important to remember the Blizzard that made WC3 is not the Blizzard making games today. 

Any of these companies could change their mind about mods tomorrow if they wanted to. Gamers just have a bad habit of just assuming they can do stuff to other people's intellectual properties and shit and no ones REALLY clapped them for it before, worse they generally get is a cease and desist for blatant IP theft, but that's been kind of changing lately. 

Especially since modders have been starting to charge money for those mods lately. Like mods have been moving to pay discards instead of getting uploaded to websites for free.

A big part of why PointCrow probably got nailed by Nintnedo over the Multiplayer Mod is he allegedly offered a 10k bounty for it. Like these people are now trying to make money off other people's core engineering and that's gonna start pissing people off. The second money is involved everything changes.

That just seems braindead obvious to me. 

Edited by RSG3
16 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Has this always been the case though? Warcraft 3 had a big modding scene and Blizzard seemed to encourage it, because it was a great way to keep people playing. Maybe when Activision bought them that stopped, but I remember there being some absolutely fantastic mods for that game back in the day.

They stopped encouraging it when the MOBA genre was born out of the Warcraft 3 map editor and completely missed out on the gravy train. Blizzard is still salty about that seeing how they will claim ownership on all fan created maps on reforged.  

5 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

They stopped encouraging it when the MOBA genre was born out of the Warcraft 3 map editor and completely missed out on the gravy train. Blizzard is still salty about that seeing how they will claim ownership on all fan created maps on reforged.  

Yea exactly. A mod that was made on the back of their engineering that they never sold a license for, makes fuuuuuuuuuck loads of money and they don't get any of it. That pissed em off and they stopped being so friendly about people fucking with their code. 

31 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Do people play DOTA1 anymore? I thought DOTA2 and LoL had overtaken it.

Either way, it was basically encouraged by Blizzard back then. Shame theyre such a different company now.

No it's mostly DOTA2 now, and I'm pretty sure DOTA2 was made to side step the legality issue completely. It's now it's own thing, it's not a mod anymore. It's not running on any of Blizz's code anymore. 

Kinds like how the Hedon Developer can sell Hedon now because GZDOOM no longer requires DOOM to run so it's an engine running entirely on its own code, no iD code involved anymore. So people who develop games in GZDOOM can sell their games now. 

Edited by RSG3
37 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea exactly. A mod that was made on the back of their engineering that they never sold a license for, makes fuuuuuuuuuck loads of money and they don't get any of it. That pissed em off and they stopped being so friendly about people fucking with their code. 

DotA1 started off as a map in the game provided map editor. It became a mod when the map gained a huge enough of a following. It wasn't a problem until Valve came knocking and offered to turn it into a real game.

Edited by Hawkingbird
6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

....Is anyone excited or passively interested in Exoprimal?  Just kinda feel this games reception has been luke as best since it was revealed.  Who knows though, maybe it'll be a sleeper hit?

Also Forspoken getting DLC is cute.

I was interested in Exoprimal during the reveal until they revealed it was essentially multiplayer only. Lost all interest after that 

16 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Damn...I mean it's not horrible but...Xbox has been dying for a win for a major win for so long and M$ bought these studios to put great exclusive content on their platform.  It's just not a great start.

Most reviews have said red fall is the worst aaa title of the year thus far 

6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

....Is anyone excited or passively interested in Exoprimal?  Just kinda feel this games reception has been luke as best since it was revealed.  Who knows though, maybe it'll be a sleeper hit?

Also Forspoken getting DLC is cute.

I am interested on Exoprimal.

It looks like it can be fun.

The problem I see is that is a 60/70 bucks game, that could be a turnoff for a lot of people since they have been conditioned to expect those kind of games to be f2p.

19 hours ago, Hecatom said:

The game is amazing though. And patches to fix almost every issue (console and pc alike) were rolled out within a week. 

Respawn fucking delivered. Consumers are way too harsh on companies that clearly are not at fault of why things get fucked. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

I showed this to my cousin expecting a quick laugh now he's pivoting the conversation into trying to get me to watch Star Trek when I've repeatedly shown zero interest in it. Shit aint happening but he aint hearing me, just laugh damn it. Now I regret showing him. Still funny as shit tho, ive watched this 3 times already. Lmao🤣

7 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I showed this to my cousin expecting a quick laugh now he's pivoting the conversation into trying to get me to watch Star Trek when I've repeatedly shown zero interest in it. Shit aint happening but he aint hearing me, just laugh damn it. Now I regret showing him. Still funny as shit tho, ive watched this 3 times already. Lmao🤣

If it makes you feel any better. I've been a Star Trek fan most my life and he couldn't get me to watch Star Trek at this point.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm annoyed about the hair colors on the Lee brothers. Jimmy is supposed to be the blonde.

Looks fun though. Definitely copping it.

I dunno, seems they keep flip flopping between Billy and Jimmy's hair color ever since the beginning 😂