Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Dead Cells----it's a 50-kill curse if you break the door to get the Hunter's Grenade in the starting area....sometimes I can't resist and I get that curse for fun.

*I'm not sure why the Xbox version of Dead Cells seems tougher... I got back into playing that one...but on that version I'm still just in 3-cell difficulty on one profile... while on Steam and Switch I've made it to 4 and 5-cell.

of those sales I mentioned earlier, I think Ganryu 2 and Godstrike will be the first 2 at least

Edited by MillionX

https://www.pcgamesn.com/legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver/crystal-dynamics-playtest-vampire-game

After Legacy of Kain survey, Crystal Dynamics holds secret playtest

Legacy of Kain, the vampire game sadly removed from Steam, got some big love in 2022’s survey, and now Tomb Raider's Crystal Dynamics is holding a new playtest.

In October 2022, Tomb Raider and Marvel’s Avengers developer Crystal Dynamics issued a survey to fans, investigating their interest in the vampire game series Legacy of Kain. Including classics like Soul Reaver and Defiance, Legacy of Kain was previously removed from PC stores such as Steam and GOG, after Crystal Dynamics was acquired by Square Enix. Now, players who completed the survey say that they have been invited to a secret playtest in May. Speaking exclusively to PCGamesN, Crystal Dynamics confirms that a new, invite-only playtest is indeed going ahead.

Players who completed the Legacy of Kain survey report have received an email from Crystal Dynamics, offering them an invitation to an upcoming playtest. “Crystal Dynamics will be hosting playtests for a new game from May 3 to May 12,” the invitation reportedly reads. “The playtests will be remote so you can participate from home as long as you have a PC or Mac, web camera, microphone, and the Microsoft Teams app installed.”

The invitation reportedly also asks players to complete a survey and attend a short interview, before being selected for the playtest. Responding to PCGamesN, a representative from Crystal Dynamics confirmed that the invitation was “genuine,” but could not specify precisely what the playtest would involve.

“I can confirm that the invitation is genuine and from us,” Crystal Dynamics’ representative says, “but can’t give any information about what they’ll be testing.”

Though some players who report having received the invitation say that they also completed the Legacy of Kain survey, others say that despite submitting the survey, they have not received an invitation. Crystal Dynamics also confirms that the playtest invitation has “wider distribution” beyond players who responded to last year’s Legacy of Kain questionnaire.

Previously, Crystal Dynamics said that over 100,000 people completed the Legacy of Kain survey, with studio CEO Phil Rogers explaining the developer “hears” LoK fans “loudly and clearly.”

“We saw the news of our survey shared across social and press platforms and we really felt this was a great way to reignite this passionate fan community with this legendary PC and console game series,” Rogers said. “Rest assured, we hear you loudly and clearly, and we will continue to update you on the what if possibilities ahead for Legacy of Kain in the future.”

PCGamesN will keep you updated with all further news regarding Legacy of Kain and the next project from Crystal Dynamics.

In the meantime, you might want to try some of the other best upcoming games on their way in 2023. You can also take the best old games out for another spin, to relive some of the greatest PC classics.

5 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Legacy of Kain, the vampire game sadly removed from Steam, got some big love in 2022’s survey, and now Tomb Raider's Crystal Dynamics is holding a new playtest.

Lol what? Why? Why remove a game for a dead IP? The fuck is the point of that? 

Digital only can eat my ass, not even Steam is safe from that horse shit. 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The way Meta's bleeding money, Elon will win just by still being a billionaire.

What do you mean, Elon lost around 13 Billion yesterday. Factor in Tewitter, er I mean X-Corp, and he's down over 30 billion dollars. It really is a race lol. 

Edited by RSG3
37 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

What do you mean, Elon lost around 13 Billion yesterday. Factor in Tewitter, er I mean X-Corp, and he's down over 30 billion dollars. It really is a race lol. 

That's nothing to compared to Meta. They've lost over 70% of their overall value which over 700 Billion dollars. I figured they'd have pushed Zuckerberg out like Apple did Jobs in the 80s by now.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The way Meta's bleeding money, Elon will win just by still being a billionaire.

I can't be mad at how Meta is blowing its money as it pouring the majority of it into VR development. Though it is wasting that money recklessly according to Carmack. Meta would be making a profit from it if they focused on maintaining the core audience, they have instead of chasing the mainstream. 

15 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I find it odd this is a PS5 exclusive. Is this genre of game striving on the switch?

I find it odd as well. SHMIUPs on the Switch is PARADISE. The portablity of the system makes the genre a match made in heaven and some of the all-time greats are on the system along with a ton of my personal favorites. 

SHMUP deves saw the Switch and were like...

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

15 hours ago, Hecatom said:

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/video-games-need-video-game-journalism

Game Journalism Layoffs: Everyone Suffers Without Expert Criticism

Expert criticism?

Where Is It Kyle Mooney GIF by Saturday Night Live

The most recent articles I have seen concerning "expert criticism" have been:

"I have played Diablo IV as a Druid in bear form and I hate it"

"Super Mario Theme is being inducted for preservation in the Library of Congress and I hate it"

"This is MY theory about video game movies"

Fuck That GIF by reactionseditor

I'm convinced video game journalists are idiots that skated through college writing about their favorite Nintendo games.

23 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I actually really enjoyed the Paradigm battle system in FF13.  Probably my favorite in all the FF games.  I also didn't mind the linear story as much as other folks do. Music was great, too. 

I liked the Paradigm system, not my favorite, but it wasn't terrible, I would like to see it refined.

The music was good imo.

Now the linearity was an issue for me, not one that would make me quit the game, but certainly a downgrade from other rpgs, not only from Square.

What really grinded my gears were:

1) Hope

I detested that little shit

2) Lightning
she was annoying, specially when paired with Hope, which was most of the time.

3) Vanille's voice.

It was horrid, I hated it, and hated that we couldn't change the voices to japanese.
4) I only liked Snow, and he was being shit on by the chars I hated the most, and were forced to play the most.

Sill, I was interested in finishing the game, but my ps3 died at the time and lost the save file, so I have never finished XIII and by extension the sequels.

Which are sitting on my shelve waiting for being played.

I still want to play them, but other games have been keeping me from doing it.

Yeah, I had some good times with this franchise over the years... a shame it went downhill though

This franchise was one of the first times I noticed a bit of censorship in a popular game... the art/ad for part 2... in some shots, Marion's skirt is ripped a bit more and you can see some ass cheeks... but of course there is a "safer" version of that picture where the skirt isn't as torn up and her cheeks are completely covered up.

Edited by MillionX
46 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I also didn't mind the linear story as much as other folks do. Music was great, too. 

It was the linear level design that folks didn't like. I know X had it too but the areas were big enough for exploration can still be done. The linearity of 13 is on the same level as a CoD campaign and no one wants that from final fantasy. You have to get to chapter 11 to get the game to start feeling like FF

Seeing that ASW is now the owner and are already starting to revive the Technos franchises, I wonder if they will eventually make a proper new game, like they did with the Kunio series with the River City girls spinoff (since the brothers and Marian appear on it)

Specially since they are working with Wayforward, the people behind DD Neon.

I would like to see a fighting game in the universe after a new DD, maybe using the art style of the character designs of RCG.

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

It was the linear level design that folks didn't like. I know X had it too but the areas were big enough for exploration can still be done. The linearity of 13 is on the same level as a CoD campaign and no one wants that from final fantasy. You have to get to chapter 11 to get the game to start feeling like FF

Yeah it was pretty much on rails. But I still enjoyed it more than 15, just for the battle system alone.

10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Seeing that ASW is now the owner and are already starting to revive the Technos franchises, I wonder if they will eventually make a proper new game, like they did with the Kunio series with the River City girls spinoff (since the brothers and Marian appear on it)

Specially since they are working with Wayforward, the people behind DD Neon.

I would like to see a fighting game in the universe after a new DD, maybe using the art style of the character designs of RCG.

ASW did make Double Dragon 4 when they required Technos. It was a bad call to make it a retro game as that what made it meddling.

I do hope they take DD in the fighting game direction. They should work on more fighters of IPs they actually own. 

10 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

ASW did make Double Dragon 4 when they required Technos. It was a bad call to make it a retro game as that what made it meddling.

I do hope they take DD in the fighting game direction. They should work on more fighters of IPs they actually own. 

I am aware of it, but I don't really consider it a proper new game, since it was more like a Remix of 2, in both mechanics and other stuff.

It felt like a retreat, specially cuz I think tehy used the console versions of 2 as a base.

Also, it is clear it was mostly made in cheap to gauge the interest on the series + riding the coat of mm9 & 10.

This is wishful thinking, but seeing the relationship between ASW and WF, I hope the next DD is made by them.

And maybe in the future see a WF fg made by ASW, which includes the original Ips by WF and the ASW games made by WF.

I would love to have the RCG cast in a fg, alongside Shantae and Spidersaurs chars

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

ASW did make Double Dragon 4 when they required Technos.

I know.
For what I get, it was because it was a project helm by the og creator + a small team of 3 or 4 people.
So it was more like a soft reboot under his terms.

It was a bad call to make it a retro game as that what made it meddling.

Agree.

Is what I hope, specially after the Kunio & DD collection.

So far, it seems that the focus has been more on the Kunio franchise, with all the sport games, the Kobayashi sub series and the RCG spinoff.
But it seems that the fandom still has hope.

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, MillionX said:

Yeah, I had some good times with this franchise over the years... a shame it went downhill though

This franchise was one of the first times I noticed a bit of censorship in a popular game... the art/ad for part 2... in some shots, Marion's skirt is ripped a bit more and you can see some ass cheeks... but of course there is a "safer" version of that picture where the skirt isn't as torn up and her cheeks are completely covered up.

Imo Double Dragon 2 on the NES is still one of the best beat em ups of all time, but then they followed that up with DD3 which was pretty difficult and probably shot some of the good will they'd built up with the first two games. Super Double Dragon was good from what I remember (apparently the Japanese version is another GOAT beat em up but I've never played it) and Neon was good but not great, but then I only went thought it once. The series just never seemed the same after the 3rd game though but that's just my impression.

Also Streets Of Rage really picked up the ball and went from being kind of a "me too" type of series to being innovative and pushing the genre forward. SoR4 is another GOAT status beat em up. Double Dragon had first-mover advantage in a lot of ways but they squandered it. 

What's the most number of times you've bought the same game?

I think the most for me is Tetris Effect with 4 times on PS4, Switch, PS4 physical, and PS5

Honorable mentions:

Samurai Shodown V Special: 3 times (PS4, GoG PC, PS4 physical CE) although I have a 4th Steam copy I got with a promo code from SNK so technically 4 total

Castlevania Rondo Of Blood: 4 times if you count buying DXC twice, once with Requiem, and the PCE copy I bought in Japan

^Most # of times I bought the same game---easy: Diablo 3 as some of you guys may already suspect 😆

1. PC version 2012--only because I was unaware of the upcoming console versions
  2. Xbox 360 version - forgot how many hours played but it was insane.
  3. PS3 version (lower; probably 70-ish hours here)
  4. XBox 1 version (at least 850 something hours here)
  5. Switch version (515 something hours here)
  6. PS5 version. (about 100-ish hours on this one)

I still play the Switch and PS5 versions most often.  Naturally the PC version has been abandoned; I see that version as the gimped shitty version of the game....and yes I am inclined to laugh to myself about the pc fanboys who refuse to admit the ugly truth there.

My ideal new Double Dragon would basically be a ripoff of either Fight N Rage or Streets of Rage 4, which are the new GOATs for me at the moment... of course add more playable characters than just Billy and Jimmy; perhaps Marion herself (*say she retained some of the magical powers from part 3!), the ninja Ranzou (always good to fulfill the "playable ninja" slot on a roster) and Chin from DD3 + a couple of new characters...maybe an "Abobo" that has befriended the Lee and friends crew.  I would bump up the pace of combat; I always prefer a faster pace with a general focus on flashy combos.  Do all this with a similar higher resolution style like SOR4 or a *GOOD* retro style like Fight N Rage and you got some goddamnn gold ready to go.

Edited by MillionX