Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Ok, so I watched the Mario movie yesterday.

I liked it, but didn't love it, but that is not really much about a fault of the movie, and more that for me to love it it would be need to be Puss in Boots 2 tier.

Saying that, I loved the visuals of the movie.

They really nailed it, and the renditions of old songs were chef kiss.

I think that Chris Pratt did a good job as Mario, If anything, the only one I felt that didn't do a good job was Seth Rogan because he just did his regular voice and acted as himself, lol.

If there is any flaw with it is

Spoiler

that Luigi didn't really do anything until the end.
I guess that it was that the movie was already packed, but I would have liked that Luigi was more proactive in trying to get out and reunite with Mario, to have the dynamic of the brothers be more than just Mario trying to protect his lil bro, and the lil bro doing nothing.

My guess is that perhaps, on the sequel he will be more proactive?

I was talking with my lil bro about that, since they teased Yoshi, I guess that the next movie would be SMW and maybe they will throw a little of Mario land over there and introduce Daisy, so it could be a dynamic of him growing more out of his shell when not around Mario and start the whole Luigi x Daisy dynamic that we see on the spinoff games like Mario Ace, and also use the opportunity to introduce the Koopalings by them being the ones that free him and set the new movie in motion.

Also, Jack Black killed it as Bowser, but I never had a doubt about it, since of the cast he is one with more experience as an actual voice actor.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

think that Chris Pratt did a good job as Mario, If anything, the only one I felt that didn't do a good job was Seth Rogan because he just did his regular voice and acted as himself, lol.

Seth mentions in interviews the reason he doesn’t do “voices” for any character he portrays in animations/gaming is due to the voice directors asking him not to. 

whoah, that Renfield game looks like my kind of thing then---- basically a much better-looking version of Vampire Survivors.  I know VS is an "indie" game but the visuals there are just ugly, tbh.

...a bit of a shame that this is likely to be the only thing related to that upcoming movie that I'll enjoy....and yep I realize that I'm alone on that opinion.  That movie looks like straight up goofball lameness to me.  I don't want cornball nonsense when it comes to cool supernatural stuff.  It irks me that everyone else eats that shit up every damn time....everything becomes a fuckin comedy show.

Edited by MillionX

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2023/04/07/capcom-monster-hunter-trademark-energy-drink/

Capcom’s Monster Hunter Faces Trademark Battle Against Monster Energy Drinks

April 7, 2023

By Nicholas Tan

Monster Energy is going after Monster Hunter for having the word “Monster” in its name. The Monster Energy brand, known for its energy drinks and for being a sponsor for events throughout the gaming industry, has started a trademark fight with Capcom. In fact, this isn’t the only time that the company has gone after other publishers and developers for daring to put the word “Monster” in its game names.

Monster Energy had Ubisoft change the name of a game in the past

As reported by Automaton Media in Japan, the rights holder of Monster Energy has filed trademark registration objections to Monster Hunter and even Pokemon, because it says that its brand would be confused with them.

This all seems very silly and frivolous, but Monster Energy successfully had Ubisoft change the game previously known as Gods and Monsters to now Immortals Fenyx Rising. So the consequences are quite real.

Fortunately, the Japan Patent Office isn’t having any of this, and has stated that “there is no risk of causing confusion as to the origin of the product.”

I mean, I’m not sure Monster Energy really wants to open this can of worms any further, because by the same logic, Nintendo and Capcom could argue that it’s Monster Energy that is causing the confusion here. Or perhaps any company with “Energy” in its name could go after them too. At any rate, this doesn’t exactly make me want to drink anything from Monster Energy (not that I would anyway).

https://www.gamesradar.com/monster-energy-has-even-gone-after-pokemon-and-monster-hunter-for-daring-to-use-the-word-monster/

Monster Energy has even gone after Pokemon and Monster Hunter for daring to use the word 'monster'

published 5 days ago

Japanese trademark history shows Monster Energy is litigious worldwide

A few days ago, Monster Energy started beef with yet another indie developer because it was using the exceedingly common word 'monster' in the name of its game, Dark Deception: Monsters & Mortals. This wasn't the company's first trademark dispute, but it put Monster Energy back in the spotlight long enough for some folks to dig up old trademark objections filed against Monster Hunter and even Pokemon – that is, Pocket Monster – in Japan.

These records surfaced via Japanese outlet Automaton (opens in new tab), which (per Google Translate) cites "information provided by readers and our investigation." It links to J-PlatPat (opens in new tab), a digital library of trademarks, patents, and other similar files. It's a Japanese website, but I was able to wrangle a filtered search for Monster Energy's katakana spelling, and according to these records, the company has indeed filed over 130 trademark objections against a smattering of companies.  

Monster Energy, which seems convinced it owns the word 'monster,' is infamously trademark-happy, but there's a bit of a gap between picking on random indies and arguing that Monster Hunter and Pokemon are a threat to your brand. And yes, Pokemon does indeed predate Monster Energy – which didn't really start operating in Japan through Asahi Soft Drinks until 2012, which was also long after Monster Hunter was established. 

After its latest filing, I even joked about why Monster Energy hadn't gone after Capcom, but it turns out that in 2016, the company did sting Monster Hunter Cross (opens in new tab), the Japanese version of Monster Hunter Generations, on the grounds that it's similar to the Monster brand. I'm going off Google Translate here, but the company straight-up argues that it "gives rise to the pronunciation and notion of 'monster' based on the character portion of '[the MONSTER brand].'" 

Japanese trademark laws did not care. "The two differ in the number of constituent sounds and the sense of tone of the words. It is easily discernible," the judgment reads. It adds that Monster Energy and Monster Hunter Cross are therefore "dissimilar trademarks that are unlikely to be incompatible in terms of appearance, pronunciation, and concept, and should be called different trademarks." 

Monster's objection (opens in new tab) to Pokemon X&Y received a similar judgment in 2014. Monster Energy argued, in so many words, that Pokemon X&Y's title and logo are "similar in name and concept" to its brand and "may cause confusion as to the source of the goods." And if nothing else, may I just say that I applaud any company with the cojones to argue on the record that its products could be more recognizable in Japan than Pokemon

Even translated, the response is withering. "It should be said that the premise of the opponent's allegation that they are similar trademarks having the same concept of 'monster, monster' is erroneous, and there is no reason," the judgment reads. It adds that "there is absolutely no reason to believe" the two are similar, and just to hammer the point home, claims that "no evidence has been submitted that is sufficient to find that there is reason to consider the Trademark to be 'a trademark likely to harm public order or good morals.'"

Of course, we now know that these unsuccessful objections didn't stop Monster Energy from repeatedly firing its trademark cannon, having filed other objections in Japan as recently as November 2022 (opens in new tab). If nothing else, the company is dogged. Maybe that's the power of energy drinks.  

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Monster energy is a trademark troll. They will go after anyone who uses monster on their title. It amazes how the court system hasn't shut them out from filing bullshit lawsuits

What find amusing is that they have the nerve to go after series that predate their cancer inducing beverage by a long time.
They are dumb as fuck if they think they can win against those 2 in court.

It would be hilarious they make a counter claim and fuck them into oblivion forcing them to change the name.

I was playing some Batman on a SNES emulator a while ago and had a blast ( not my gifs ) 

batman-snes.gif

batman-snes.gif

Now i am tempted to replay the Batman Arkham series as well as Batman Origins, as i enjoyed all of them, fun times indeed.  

Regardless, i did a bit of research on their latest game Gotham Knights and while it's subjective ,from what i gathered most say it's a pretty average game at best, quite sad. I still wonder why on earth no developer tries to make a Batman Beyond game. 

A open / semi open world  futuristic Gotham  ? All the futuristic tech and cool gadgets, there is so much untapped potential in my opinion. Add  some RPG elements, allow us to roam around as Terry as well not just as him as Batman,side activities etc.

Uff.....maybe one day.

1e0392eccfb7394425cbf0c0643e6185.jpgfddb09b1fe803a6cb6874b110f0461c8.jpg

Edited by Skort
12 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Precisely.  I saw the trailer show up in my feed and was like cool...then Lil Wayne popped up.  Nothing against the man but....why? lol

This isn’t new. They had Lupe and Del the Funky Homosapien do music for Kolin’s and G’s trailers. With the former, they had an exhibition with him and Daigo and the latter performed the song in G’s trailer live at Capcom Cup.

22 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

This isn’t new. They had Lupe and Del the Funky Homosapien do music for Kolin’s and G’s trailers. With the former, they had an exhibition with him and Daigo and the latter performed the song in G’s trailer live at Capcom Cup.

Having mainstream artist do music for a game is one thing...then there's having a mainstream artist be a whole host for an event for your game for 30 minutes.  Unless he actually has a track that he's going to reveal that's going to be part of the promotion for the game (which I doubt but you never know). 

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Besides the fact that this is word salad, I could kinda see the argument that DS1 is a metroidvania in a way, but the other two? Nah. Doesn't Hollow Knight have some souls-ish elements to it though?

Like all these games are similar in the vaugest way. Yes if you use Metroidvania as a catch all for any game with an adventuring element to it then yes they are all Metroidvanias, or Souls Likes. 

Like sure Souls level design is "Metroidvania-ish" in that they encompass distinct locations that wind around on eachother. But that's just like....fucking level design. At that point DOOM is a Metroidvania. 

And Hallow Knights Benches function as checkpoints and a place to equip charms which makes them an analoge to Bonfires and spell slotting, but that's really just a checkpoint system. I basically just described a Resident Evil Save Room.  Hollow Knight doesn't have Stat allocation, gear to equip and move around short of the Charms which are more accessories then actual gear systems. Yoy don't level up or anything. It also has the Bloodstain Mechanic in the form of the Knights Shade but it works differently then Bloodstains do, and tho the point of it is the same it doesn't work out as nearly as big a deal since Geo is no where near as important as Souls/Bloodtinge/Runes/whatever. 

Hollow Knight does tell its story in a relatively  passive way like Fromsoft has done for decades, but Fromsoft isn't the only one to ever do that either. Like environmental story telling and lore dumps through item description/Beastiary is pretty damn old in games as a general rule. D&D did all of this kind of shit back in the 80's. 

Edited by RSG3

I get to fight with Sidon, grab rockets, Ganondorf looking like G as always.  MAN this is gonna be a long wait. Little less than a month then everyone is going to rolling up on Ganondorf with their make shift aircraft and all the swords fused with meat, stones and trees.  He won't even know WTF is going on when Link shows up on his door step.  "LINK...You have finally arrived to to your grave!  I can't wait to.....to.....?????  I'm sorry...Is that the Master Sword with a chicken leg fused to the top of it?"

33 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Sure, why not?

I want to develop a game where it's the Street Fighter roster as a team, Nintendo's Smash roster, Tekken, the Philadelphia Eagles, the classic rock bands from Guitar Hero, the zombies from TLOU, the Vex from Destiny, the Nazis from Battlefields, Manchester United, and the Sith if you buy the DLC. This is a team battle game that takes place on an NFL field where the object is to score touchdowns while driving super acrobatic rocket-powered battle cars. But everyone has their special abilities intact, so Ryu can hadouken Darth Vader, zombies can bite sonic from Smash, Slash from GnR can deafen everyone with his righteous guitar shredding, etc.  There are also ? boxes that have special items in them, but they only unlock if you have enough credits. You can but credits with real money. After every game you can allocate XP into whatever stats you want, including cosmetic things like being trans. Oh, and it's always online only.

The game is called: Metroidvania: The Game.

Edited by Chadouken
7 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Serious question - has it been confirmed if it is TEERS or TARES?  I haven't heard anyone say it out loud.

Nintendo confirmed it's Tears like crying in an interview shortly after the title was released. It lines up with the trailers having Magatama/Tear shaped symbols in them, and Zelda is holding a golden Magatama/Tear shaped thing at the end of the latest trailer. 

Edited by RSG3