Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I'm trying the Dead Cells boss rush at the moment and so far it just doesn't even seem possible.... one moment was straight up bullshit, where I absolutely pressed the heal button and the character animation just paused like the game decided "nah you didn't heal....because I said so." and that was that.  It always pulls some bullshit and this is quite a bit more frustrating than the normal game so far.

aha, I beat this last run though....but I had to turn it all the way down to 2-cells though.

Edited by MillionX

I've been gradually getting more acclimated to boss rush mode now... I checked out Vee's vid on it as well:

I got super close to beating 4C Giant on my Steam/pc version of the game a little while ago... just a few more hits and he would've been dead but he got me.  I had at least 3 or 4 curse chests opened that run so my points in Tactics were high, and the damage output was glorious.  A favorite lately has been explosive crossbow, though I realize that against some things like Timekeeper it's a bad choice. (Boss Rush version of Time Keeper is the worst possible matchup for it, btw; it's like you're a regular human trying to fight the Flash or Zoom from DC.)

**edit---yep, Survival build helped me crush it this time... 4C Giant just got STOMPED easy... I was up to 27 Survival points with a Giantkiller sword that was XII-S.  The damage was absolutely insane....now I'm going into the fight with the Hand of the King since you can go straight to Throne Room from the Giant... with the 2 more scrolls at 29 points nonw, Giantkiller sword has 124k critical damage.  

haha the Hand of the King just went down too.  The Giantkiller sword, man... the damage is just too nasty. 🤣

Even though I was focused on Survival points, I still kept picking "Vengeance" passive... it's one of the best in the game, imo... just baseline we're talking about 61 or so % damage bonus after getting hit + some extra defense.  For the final battle I also had Disengagement; always a good choice against the tougher bosses.

Edited by MillionX

VGM Fridays!  First time hearing music from EX Layer so glad they're still rocking it out over ther eat Akira.  Also I never knew there was a Full version of PlanitB's mix of Simple and Clean.  That was very interesting.  I don't know why but this mix version feels like some of the words are not matching up with the beat properly...like it's slightly off in the editing.  Not sure if that's because I've heard the shorter version that's in the intro for 100's of times or not though.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Jack Black and Lyrical Lemonade made a music video for a song that Bowser sings in the Super Mario Movie,  if you'd rather here it within the full context of the scene in the movie then don't watch it.

Jack Black knew the assignment and did all the extra credit too. I’ll never be able to not hear him as bowser ever again. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, GreyFoxx said:

There is actually a VGM group that was at Magfest this year that I had never heard of called Skatune Network.  Pretty much did a bunch of ska versions of VGM as well as ska versions of TV show intros like Hey Arnold.  If you like Ska then they might be worth giving a look.

Gonna be honest, if they don't really affect the game, like, the progression of the game is not affected due them introducing it, then I don't really see a problem with them, at the moment.

Is like when Activision introduced mtx on CTRNF, people were worried about it (rightfully so), and started to say the game was ruined, but in the end, they were basically none existent, since just playing the game around an hour per day during the grand prixes, you could get more than enough to unlock everything and carry to the next one.

I think that giving the option by itself is not really a problem, but affecting the pace of the game is.

Just got back from Super Mario Brothers movie.  I thought it was FANTASTIC. There are so many damn little easter eggs in the movie too. I am sure I missed a bunch too. I don't know how one could be a Mario/Nintendo fan and NOT enjoy the movie. Visuals were incredible and it just had so many fun tie ins to the game. My favorite part was the whole Mario Kart part, from the very start with the music to the very end. I feel like the movie never lets up once it starts too. It blew by.

I am curious now to read up on why people disliked the movie.

Yeah I just got home from seeing the movie and letting it digest a bit but yeah...I thought this movie was pretty damn great.  My wife also enjoyed it and she doesn't even really play Mario but she is more aware of it from being around me.  My son had his eyes GLUED to the screen.  Watching him react to stuff on the screen was a treat!   He was getting scared for Luigi and cheered on for Mario.  It was adorable!  Makes me can't wait to see him react to Sonic 3 cause I know he's gonna pop off! 

There was just so much to like about this movie.  I can kind of see how it can be a bit alienating for people who are not into Mario since the movie really does move fast.  They kinda establish the bros in Brooklyn and then within 15 minutes later they're whisked away to the Mushroom Kingdom.  It does feel like they could have fleshed out things a little bit more story wise but at the same time it's a Mario movie.  I actually like the fact that shit is just happening and just is because that's exactly how Mario has been since day 1.  I wanted to see the movie in Imax 3D to fully enjoy the visuals but they only had one showing in 3D and it was regular versus several 2D Imax showings so we just went with the 2D.  Still great seeing this world realized like it was though.  I'm going to go see it again Sunday with some friends.