Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

back into the world of Vampyr since I have it on Steam Deck now....previously I only played a few minutes of this pc version.... I easily defeated the first "boss" character William Bishop and made it to Pembroke Hospital....heh, almost got killed by some level 7 skals while I was a mere level 3 though, but the shadow mist ability is so strong I was able to kill them once I got a solid hit with that.  This round will be more cutthroat again so of course I killed Clay right from the start to get that niiiice 500 xp, and I'm level 6 now with Coagulation, the Shadow Veil (eventually upgrading this to the version where you get bonus damage for attacking while invisible) and upgraded stamina.  

Edited by MillionX

I want to talk more about this movie but I'm going to say that just about everyone acted their roles really well.  Easy standouts are Jack Black as Bowser as just about everyone said and called it from the trailers.  Jack Black KILLED it.  Keegan Michael Key as Toad was great and so was Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek.  Everyone else was fine including Chris Pratt.  The biggest voice that had me kind of taken a back when he started talking was Cranky.  Cranky I feel was either the most horribly miscast character or they gave him the wrong voice direction because he was not matching up at all with how Cranky is supposed to be personality wise.

6 hours ago, MillionX said:

back into the world of Vampyr since I have it on Steam Deck now....previously I only played a few minutes of this pc version.... I easily defeated the first "boss" character William Bishop and made it to Pembroke Hospital....heh, almost got killed by some level 7 skals while I was a mere level 3 though, but the shadow mist ability is so strong I was able to kill them once I got a solid hit with that.  This round will be more cutthroat again so of course I killed Clay right from the start to get that niiiice 500 xp, and I'm level 6 now with Coagulation, the Shadow Veil (eventually upgrading this to the version where you get bonus damage for attacking while invisible) and upgraded stamina.  

I wound up buying the PS4 version on sale and I imagine the game looks absolutely incredible compared to the Switch version I have been playing. I still need to do a pacifist run, but my last "kill everybody" run got screwed up and I missed a couple people so maybe I should redo that one too.

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I wound up buying the PS4 version on sale and I imagine the game looks absolutely incredible compared to the Switch version I have been playing. I still need to do a pacifist run, but my last "kill everybody" run got screwed up and I missed a couple people so maybe I should redo that one too.

heh, I imagine the pacifist style in that game is a rough road with Dr. Reid being significantly weaker as a result; I'm curious now what the level and power difference exactly is then.  I know there is an achievement called "Not Even Once" or something like that, for never eating any of the named characters.   (I assume that in-combat bites probably don't count.)  I *might* go for that achievement some day, but I don't look forward to being a weaker version of the character... I suppose it just means to focus that much more on the top-tier picks then for whatever points you get by advancing the story.

It just hit me that if this were made into a live-action show, Tom Ellis has such a fitting look for the character.... too bad I already think of Tom more in a comedic context though, from his fame as "Lucifer" on the Fox/Netflix show. (*haha of course I could only imagine what the chumps that work in casting these days would do----they'd try and sell us Charles S. Dutton or Carl Weathers as Dr. Jonathan Reid.  Obviously Elisabeth would be played by a black woman as well since she's a redhead and we all know the rules concerning that.)

Edited by MillionX

Bought Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Dragon Ball Z: Kakarrot + A New Power Awakens while I was in Walmart. I've always wanted to give DBZK a shot and I'd like to play and Beat Pikmin 3 before 4 comes out in July.

Also, my copy of Aleste Collection for Switch arrived this afternoon. Amazon had one copy left and FOMO hit me like a truck.

4 hours ago, MillionX said:

heh, I imagine the pacifist style in that game is a rough road with Dr. Reid being significantly weaker as a result; I'm curious now what the level and power difference exactly is then.  I know there is an achievement called "Not Even Once" or something like that, for never eating any of the named characters.   (I assume that in-combat bites probably don't count.)  I *might* go for that achievement some day, but I don't look forward to being a weaker version of the character... I suppose it just means to focus that much more on the top-tier picks then for whatever points you get by advancing the story.

It just hit me that if this were made into a live-action show, Tom Ellis has such a fitting look for the character.... too bad I already think of Tom more in a comedic context though, from his fame as "Lucifer" on the Fox/Netflix show. (*haha of course I could only imagine what the chumps that work in casting these days would do----they'd try and sell us Charles S. Dutton or Carl Weathers as Dr. Jonathan Reid.  Obviously Elisabeth would be played by a black woman as well since she's a redhead and we all know the rules concerning that.)

I think the toughest thing about it would be that you wouldn't have as much life. You can get some pretty high DPS melee and gun weapons, and if you're strategic about when you bite during fights, you can avoid a lot of damage since they can't hurt you while you're biting.

Having said that, I might end up eating my words when I actually try it though lol. The Mary fight in particular might be pretty tough.

The other day, I was thinking of coping Sol Cresta off Play-Asia.

"NAH, SON, THAT ISH ISN'T AVAILABLE TO BE SHIPPED TO YOUR COUNTRY!!!"

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

They 'boutta make me pay $40 for a digital SHMUP?  Maybe I should play some of the other games in the Terra/Force series first. Which ones would you recommend @RSG3?

8 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

The other day, I was thinking of coping Sol Cresta off Play-Asia.

"NAH, SON, THAT ISH ISN'T AVAILABLE TO BE SHIPPED TO YOUR COUNTRY!!!"

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

They 'boutta make me pay $40 for a digital SHMUP?  Maybe I should play some of the other games in the Terra/Force series first. Which ones would you recommend @RSG3?

Well I hate most of the Cresta series, but I haven't played Sol Cresta yet cuz yea, 40 bucks digital... instead of Play Asia try Buyee instead. There's also Ebay...............>.> But look at Buyee, could probably scoop it there and they ship world wide and will even do the currency conversion for you. 

As for Terra Force I have never played it before bro. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Critics are trying way to hard to dunk on this movie

This must be a nightmare for them cause barely anything they have to say about this movie is effecting the money its making.  Supposedly its on track to overtake Frozen 2 at least.

Cuz the gameboy was so fucking famous for its wall plug capabilities. If you wanted portability you needed a big Grey NES......duh

The fuck is that review headline? Wtf?

Edited by RSG3
3 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

A friendly reminder when it comes to movie reviews:

I still won't see it until Wed at the earliest but my question is, what DID critics want out of a Merio movie? I assume they would have loved the OG cut Illumination was going to do before Nintendo laid out what they wanted? 

There was an og cut??? Mannnnnn ferget all that , ALWAYS go and see it yourself. They bashed the @#$! out of DnD and i think it was a really decent movie. Critics these days don't mean anything to me anymore.

8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Cuz the gameboy was so fucking famous for its wall plug capabilities. If you wanted portability you needed a big Grey NES......duh

The fuck is that review headline? Wtf?

Tbh mine spent a good bit of time plugged in because the rechargeable batteries I used for it got chewed up fairly quick.

I miss that old GameBoy, even though there's no real reason I should. The idea of being able to play games on the go like that was fucking awesome back in the day.

6 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

What happened to you that made you start thinking about life choices?  Did you have "fight back" moment with the villagers?

Where they burn the cop? Yeah, I can't land any of my headshots and keep getting bodied pretty quick. I might adjust my aiming sensitivity settings and try to get more accustomed to this game engine tonight before throwing in the towel on Hardcore. I'm used to shooting in Destiny and this is definitely not Destiny lol. 

Edited by Chadouken
2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Where they burn the cop? Yeah, I can't land any of my headshots and keep getting bodied pretty quick. I might adjust my aiming sensitivity settings and try to get more accustomed to this game engine tonight before throwing in the towel on Hardcore. I'm used to shooting in Destiny and this is definitely not Destiny lol. 

So you don't have to fight everyone in the first seige area in the village.  You just have to last up to a certain time (I'd say or you can shoot the bell but you don't have a sniper rifle yet.  I'd say don't give up and keep trying.  You gotta keep moving.  If you're stopping a moment to pop a shot limit yourself to 1 -2 secs at max cause any more time and you're likely to get popped from behind.  Jump the fences, jump through the windows to get to the rooftops, you just gotta get moving cause in Hardcore they are COMING.  If you haven't already I'd also recommend sneaking around the beginning of the village as much as you can and collecting what you can before throwing the shit at the fan.  I'm confident you can make it cause if I can survive doing the full Benny Hill around the village then I'm sure you can too.

33 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

So you don't have to fight everyone in the first seige area in the village.  You just have to last up to a certain time (I'd say or you can shoot the bell but you don't have a sniper rifle yet.  I'd say don't give up and keep trying.  You gotta keep moving.  If you're stopping a moment to pop a shot limit yourself to 1 -2 secs at max cause any more time and you're likely to get popped from behind.  Jump the fences, jump through the windows to get to the rooftops, you just gotta get moving cause in Hardcore they are COMING.  If you haven't already I'd also recommend sneaking around the beginning of the village as much as you can and collecting what you can before throwing the shit at the fan.  I'm confident you can make it cause if I can survive doing the full Benny Hill around the village then I'm sure you can too.

Shit. I was engaging that encounter completely wrong 😂 I thought I had to kill all the fucks in the village and I kept getting overwhelmed immediately because I went in guns blazing. I gotta play this game a little differently than if I were Joel or Ellie. Are stealth kills a thing in RE4?

Edited by Chadouken

i bugged dead cells today. i called out the cat and serenade sword skill at the same time at the cell shop between levels. and it triggers a "cutscene" but i jumped mid air when i called the cat out and it froze my game.

also, if u have the cat on your shoulder while wearing invisible amulet the cat turns invisible too on your shoulder. interesting.

ps

kings sceptre is really good against hand of the king boss. he managed to hit me only once while i pogo stick on his ass.

Edited by VirginDefiler
9 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Shit. I was engaging that encounter completely wrong 😂 I thought I had to kill all the fucks in the village and I kept getting overwhelmed immediately because I went in guns blazing. I gotta play this game a little differently than if I were Joel or Ellie. Are stealth kills a thing in RE4?

Yes you can stealth kill in this game.  IIRC there are at least 2 villagers who can stealth kill in the first village without raising the alarm and it's the old lady who walks up and down the path on the right side and another old lady on the left side who has her back turned with a pitch fork.  If you try to approach just about anyone else in the village, especially in the middle then you're going to get spotted and the fun begins.

On 4/9/2023 at 9:50 PM, RegH81 said:

Like, what are critics expecting from a movie about a character that stomps on turtles? I'm not expecting a story or acting on the level of <insert great film here> but if I feel the movie does Mario and the gang justice like both Sonic movies did, I'm satisfied. 

I think it's a combination of the film not being catered to them and the movie being unabashed about what it is more than likely.  The critics are in the dark for the most and this movie helps very little to ease them in to anything so they don't understand and it frustrates them.  I actually just finished watching it for the 2nd time tonight and I still loved the movie just about as much as I did the first time watching it.  The plot is simple and you just let the movie whisk you away without having to think too hard on anything.  It's not perfect but I gotta say I wish the Sonic movies were closer to how this Mario movie was...they did SO much right with it.

Edited by Sonichuman

Super Mario Bros movie has officially topped Frozen 2 as the biggest opening ever for for an animated movie.

This is actually pretty crazy.  I thought this movie would do well  but this?  Wonder how far it'll go.  The fact that this has made this much money thus far though is an amazing sign for the future.  Nintendo dipped their toe in the water and now I wouldn't be surprised if they just cannonballed completely in now. 

24 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I think it's a combination of the film not being catered to them and the movie being unabashed about what it is more than likely.  The critics are in the dark for the most and this movie helps very little to ease them in to anything so they don't understand and it frustrates them.  I actually just finished watching it for the 2nd time tonight and I still loved the movie just about as much as I did the first time watching it.  The plot is simple and you just let the movie whisk you away without having to think to hard on anything.  It's not perfect but I gotta say I wish the Sonic movies were closer to how this Mario movie was...they did SO much right with it.

Not to shit on the Sonic movies but the fact Mario takes place in the actual Mushroom Kingdom is a huge one up over Sonic in a major way. 

10 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Not to shit on the Sonic movies but the fact Mario takes place in the actual Mushroom Kingdom is a huge one up over Sonic in a major way. 

I mean I agree.  This is coming from the major Sonic fan.  I can't help but look at NIntendo and Illumination did and then look at the Sonic movies and just think about what could have been.  I'm still happy with what we got but still...this movie is pretty much proving to everyone in hollywood right now that "no you don't have to have a character/characters that you shoe horn into the story to give the audience a window to understand the universe".  Looking definitely at MK 2021 and Sonic at being the latest culprits on this even though MK 2021 has other problems aside from just Cole Young.  If this movie actually manages to somehow rake in a billion globally before it leaves the box office then that's going to put everyone on notice.   It's also going to tell Hollywood that not every VG adaptation has to be live action.