Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I'm in Salazar castle at the moment.

- I'm actually liking Ashley as a character in the remake. While I never hated her in the OG game being bratty and obnoxious made her difficult to like. She is actually sympathetic and I appreciate how she tries to help Leon when he needs it. Her chemistry with Leon feels more natural. Who knew having her behave like a real person is what she needed.

- The stringray was my best friend in the waterhall. I'm playing in hardcore and I didn't feel like the waterhall was as difficult as the drive with Luis thanks mostly to this rifle. Buy it when it becomes available

- The roaches seem to go down easier in the remake. I'm able to kill these things with the handgun and they are highly subjectable to headshots. Shooting them while they are in stone is an instant kill. Maybe the invisible ones will pose an actual challenge.

There's a certain song that's going to be in the Super Mario Bros movie that was revealed by one of the actors that I kinda wish I hadn't known about though it will probably still be awesome when it happens.  Just throwing that out there in case anyone wants to try to look up what that song will be and spoil themselves.

Dead Cells run---I played 5C just now...it's quite a thrilling adventure in there....eventually got killed in Slumbering Sanctuary though.

On another random note--- Blood Hunt finally got a new clan/character class I see.... Tremere (they are basically the "blood mages/warlocks" clan in the lore.)

I still wish this game wasn't just a pure multiplayer battle royale (+team deathmatch they added later) thing though.

Leave it to Gamerant to say that the atrocious Tlou1 pc port is being "review bombed" and even sugest that is the customers fault that the game is currently ass on pc 😂😂😂😂

And unlike their movies counterpart, they dont have Ryan's putch meeting skit to carry them out of being a joke no one cares beyod pointing and laughing 

https://gamerant.com/last-of-us-pc-port-review-bomb-why/#:~:text=According to player reports%2C The,the game unplayable for many.

When freaking Kotaku does a better job than you on reporting the issues, you know you hit rock bottom. 

https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-pc-port-steam-performance-reviews-ps5-1850276276

Edited by Hecatom

Assault Suits Valken Declassified released today. For those not in the known, the game to the west in 1993 under the title Cybernator on the SNES and was censored like a MF. Declassified brings the original Japanese version entirely in English. There are also some really cool bonus features like the arranged soundtrack (including HD scans) that you can turn on during gameplay or listen to the SNES original music. There's an 82 page guide book and it is SICK AF with pictures of mech models galore and maps of every stage. The amount of work that went into this is something I SO want to see more of.

EDIT: Looks like you can't listen to the arranged OST in gameplay. Bummer, but still a fantastic re-release of an old game.

Edited by RegH81

The RE lore nerd in me is jumping for joy. RE4R spoilers

Spoiler

The knife fight with Krauser is a proper boss fight now. Krauser mentions operation Javier from darkside Chronicles. Finally one of these remakes actually references other games that are relevant to it.

Luis gets killed by Krauser instead of Saddler this go around. Glad that he had more screen time this go around . I always thought he died too soon in the original game

Thinking back, there are some journals I read around the village of a smart kid who was raised by his grandfather with their favorite story being Don Quixote. It's implied the grandfather died from infection from a wolf attack. Given Luis behavior I'm guessing he is the kid from those journals. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
2 hours ago, Wellman said:

RIP

Wasn't the biggest fan of the games but the design of the character was top notch at the time.

Honestly Bubsy's entire visual design was pretty good, least the first one. Maybe the Aliens could use a few more passes, they are rather generic, but everything was nice to look at, vibrant, well detailed. 

The gameplay tho...the fuckin gameplay...

Edited by RSG3
4 hours ago, MillionX said:

Dead Cells run---I played 5C just now...it's quite a thrilling adventure in there....eventually got killed in Slumbering Sanctuary though.

On another random note--- Blood Hunt finally got a new clan/character class I see.... Tremere (they are basically the "blood mages/warlocks" clan in the lore.)

I still wish this game wasn't just a pure multiplayer battle royale (+team deathmatch they added later) thing though.

I had a good run going today, Belmont Tactics run with Vampire Killer, Cross, War Owl, and and Lacerating Aura, until I got to Slumbering Sanctuary. That place makes or breaks me, and today it made me audibly say "fucking this level."

Until I got to Dracula anyway. Hand of the King and Dracula are pretty good jumps in difficulty from the rest of the game, at least on 0BC.

I'm not really a super-hardcore Castlevania fan (aside from the first three NES games, I've only played Symphony of the Night when it was re-released years ago, and then the much later Lords of Shadow 2 on PS3/360)... but that DLC added quite a bit of cool stuff for Dead Cells --- new areas, enemies and bosses (oh yeah, including Dracula himself!  There is also a new ending if you go this route and defeat Dracula), quite a few weapons, character outfits and the music.  The areas are like alternate routes in the game; one leading from the starting area, actually... though if you take that then you can't go to the other one that's an option later for some reason...at least inside the same run/session.  There's also a few Castlevania characters you meet as well!

*I also posted this in the Nintendo thread yesterday but I've been getting back into this Squad 51 vs. the Flying Saucers lately; that old sci-fi aesthetic is amazingly cool:

I love the soundtrack on this game too:

Edited by MillionX
10 hours ago, RSG3 said:

How is this dlc as a Castlevania-ish experience. I get it's not going to be 1:1 to any actual style of Castlevania but does it have the vibe? Clearly has the difficulty. 

I like it a lot. Hadn't played dead cells until it was announced, but the base game itself is great and the Castlevania content just makes it even better, especially the weapons and skins. The boss fights are true to the series and really my only complaint is that there aren't enough levels. There's even a little Richter Mode mini game hidden in there. It's not much, but it's fun. 

I'm not really feeling Ragnarok much. I like the story elements, but then I have to navigate terrain and the combat kind of sucks. Game feels like a pastiche of a bunch of different games which speaks to the state of the industry when even a series like GoW has to go that route. I'm still early game, but not sure if I want to continue or not. 

Oh yeah that's another thing---I would have liked if there was more areas... I still haven't fought Dracula yet; I got to Medusa for the first time a few days ago and she did ridiculous damage and killed me right away (this was 4C difficulty).  I recently unlocked the bible, holy water and cross weapons.  I still need to get the other outfits unlocked as well.... currently my usual ones are the Death costume or that one that's a skeleton with a purple cape (reference to the main character from "Skul the Hero Slayer"; that's also a fun game, btw; another roguelite type of thing.....I haven't played it in a while though.)

20 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm not really feeling Ragnarok much. I like the story elements, but then I have to navigate terrain and the combat kind of sucks. Game feels like a pastiche of a bunch of different games which speaks to the state of the industry when even a series like GoW has to go that route. I'm still early game, but not sure if I want to continue or not. 

Play that shit on hard, man. No Mercy.  Combat opens up when you unlock more skills and gear. There are some good early stun builds that help a lot.

1 hour ago, MillionX said:

Oh yeah that's another thing---I would have liked if there was more areas... I still haven't fought Dracula yet; I got to Medusa for the first time a few days ago and she did ridiculous damage and killed me right away (this was 4C difficulty).  I recently unlocked the bible, holy water and cross weapons.  I still need to get the other outfits unlocked as well.... currently my usual ones are the Death costume or that one that's a skeleton with a purple cape (reference to the main character from "Skul the Hero Slayer"; that's also a fun game, btw; another roguelite type of thing.....I haven't played it in a while though.)

You gotta be doing pretty stout damage to stand up to Medusa. Turrets and things that can damage her whole you're facing away to avoid being turned to stone help a ton in that fight.

54 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Play that shit on hard, man. No Mercy.  Combat opens up when you unlock more skills and gear. There are some good early stun builds that help a lot.

I'm getting rekt on normal, I don't think playing on Hard is going to help. I'm at a point where there's a ton of these fucking lizards spitting at me and jumping at me. The combat feels weird because Kratos can do more than, say, a Souls character but not quite as much as a 3d action game character so I feel like I'm trapped in this weird in between place with it. I want to like the game, but I'm a bit frustrated by how limited it is at the moment.

I started up this other game I bought called Steelrising which is a souls/Bloodborne like set in the French revolution era. You play as this robotic mannequin that's replaced human soldiers as the crown's fighting force. Pretty interesting game so far and I'm a sucker for historical fiction that adds in modern tech.

Edited by DoctaMario

^haha imagine how the fans of that Marvel game who paid for that stuff must feel now... especially if they bought some of the items recently.  

It's funny how fast the drop in interest for that one happened, at least to me... in the beginning, I was looking forward to that.... but then every new piece of info and footage I saw just made it look worse and worse, killing my interest in it completely....and then we'd all see the severe contrast in quality between that one and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.  Just the issue of the roster----it was laughable even comparing them.  MUA3 lets us play around as various X-men, Avengers and several other popular Marvel characters, complete with special bonuses according to certain team-ups.  The other game's roster was a complete joke in comparison.

Well now--- I just noticed Battle Axe on eShop for Switch is 7.50.  

Edited by MillionX

VGM Fridays!  Last Friday of the moment so first post is going to focus on anniversaries.  Games with the most notable music this month were Smash Brawl's US release (15th), Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire (20th), Kirby's Adventure (30th), LoZ WW US release (20th), and Starcraft (25th).  There's a few other games that came out this month that had anniversaries that I'm not fully familiar with (Sonic Advance 2 and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon among them).

Spoiler

Edit:

Reg contribution here as well

^The Blazing Tactician is the english name for this

^Didn't know this was the actual name of the track since I only have it as Vs. Lobby 1

Edited by Sonichuman